Adams Contract Talks Halt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Aug 2021 05:30
Why should the Packers invest heavily in receiver draft choices?

Tonyan is now a top 5 TE
There is no reason the believe that A. Rodgers can't be above average and maybe a lot more as a slot receiver
If MVS has fixed his hands, as he apparently has since midseason last year, he is a legitimate WR#2 and maybe an average WR#1
Lazard is at least an average WR#2
Jones is certainly a top 3 receiving RB and IMO the #1

How many of these were drafted high?

Assuming AR is gone after this season, the Packers can easily afford to keep them all.

The combination is not a top group of receivers, but Tonyan, MVS and Lazard still have room to grow and there is no limit for A. Rodgers.

So what if they lose Adams? Resign Tonyan and MVS and Lazard and Jenkins and Alexander and the team will be better than if they had kept Adams and lost 3 of these 5.
This is a wildly optimistic view of the guys we currently have on the roster. Skeptic you need a new user name! :rotf: :lol:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

WR #1...... Devonte Adams

WR #2 ....... by committee, whomever Lafluer can scheme up to a weaker matchup in that given game, some games it's Tonyan, another it's MVS, and Lazard is the security blanket, this works because we have a HOF QB, I do not see this working so well for Love, specially so minus Adams, we need another receiver that can beat press coverage and enough agility to get open in traffic, only having one guy like Adams is why tough defenses, can take him away and we struggle because no one else can do what he does.

people that have been satisfied with our receivers room are the ones that !@#$ and moan w2hen we lose PO games and blame Rodgers or any other player, put more bullets in the gun and it'll shoot longer, we ran out of impact players against Tampa, but hell we didn't have any to spare in the first place, once Jones went out it was up to Adams, and Tampa made damn sure Adams wouldn't beat them, and the rest could never get open on Schedule, MVS was our most prolific receiver, he got open enough for Rodgers to throw 6 times and caught 4 for a buck something, he did his part, after he and Adams the rest hardly made a impact.

to beat stellar pass rush ya have to get the ball out fast, on schedule, theres no time to wait on slow guys like Lazard, Taylor, Brown, etc, and Rodgers reads a route tree as fast as any QB in the league, hows this going to work for Love who wont be near as quick, we better get someone in here with the ability to become close to what Adams has been or Love will take a pounding.

the FO knows this, thats why there probably willing to pay Devonte's asking price, and why I've been saying we need to use a high pick on a receiver for years now.
Last edited by Yoop on 21 Aug 2021 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm fine either way. I think both schools of thought have merit and I would be happy either way.

If I were to make the decision, I would let Adams walk and retain Bobert, Elgton, MVS, Jaw, etc. I'd prioritize keeping the younger guys.

And the reason I am doing this is multi-faceted.

1. We simply keep more players by letting Adams walk.
2. We get a 3rd round comp pick from Adams that can be used as trade fuel in 2023.
3. We already have a loaded RB room and our offense is shifting to using the middle of the field, running, PA, and needing that deep threat.
4. We won't be a SB threat in 2022 anyways. So who cares if our offense is not yet elite. I care much more about our offense 2023 - 2025.
5. We will have great draft capital to be able to draft Adams's replacement from the Rodgers trade.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
21 Aug 2021 09:26
I'm fine either way. I think both schools of thought have merit and I would be happy either way.

If I were to make the decision, I would let Adams walk and retain Bobert, Elgton, MVS, Jaw, etc. I'd prioritize keeping the younger guys.

And the reason I am doing this is multi-faceted.

1. We simply keep more players by letting Adams walk.
2. We get a 3rd round comp pick from Adams that can be used as trade fuel in 2023.
3. We already have a loaded RB room and our offense is shifting to using the middle of the field, running, PA, and needing that deep threat.
4. We won't be a SB threat in 2022 anyways. So who cares if our offense is not yet elite. I care much more about our offense 2023 - 2025.
5. We will have great draft capital to be able to draft Adams's replacement from the Rodgers trade.
Good post, I agree. Did not think of the comp pick

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Every time I think about this rationally, I just can't see a scenario in which we can pay another guy more than $20 million per year, let alone $27 million, even if we trade Rodgers.

But dang, whenever I watch press conferences and think about the approach he takes to the game, I just want him to stay a Packer forever.

His latest presser, discussing the way he trains his brain for recall, and the difference between memory and recall, and the way he builds that approach into his gameplan studying... whew. Great stuff.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Oct 2021 11:53
Every time I think about this rationally, I just can't see a scenario in which we can pay another guy more than $20 million per year, let alone $27 million, even if we trade Rodgers.

But dang, whenever I watch press conferences and think about the approach he takes to the game, I just want him to stay a Packer forever.

His latest presser, discussing the way he trains his brain for recall, and the difference between memory and recall, and the way he builds that approach into his gameplan studying... whew. Great stuff.
Yup. He is as good as it gets. I wouldn't be mad if we found a way to keep him. I don't think we will, but I think there is a chance and I would LOVE him with a young QB.

Your low bearing fruit of names is Rodgers, Preston, Zadarius, Lowry, Cobb. You move on from those people and you can clear up a LOT of cap space. With approximately $22 million over, we can save over $60 million to then resign Elgton, Jaire and Adams if we wanted to.

I could also see a situation where we renegotiate either one of the Smiths.
image.png
image.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I feel like these first few games offer a glimpse into a future where we keep Rodgers and Adams at the expense of other star players (in this case, no Bakh, Jaire, Z): we largely live or die by the Rodgers-Adams connection, may have a solid ground game if we draft RB/OL well, and defense is solid but not shut-down and relies on the offense being at least good every week.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
21 Oct 2021 12:23
I feel like these first few games offer a glimpse into a future where we keep Rodgers and Adams at the expense of other star players (in this case, no Bakh, Jaire, Z): we largely live or die by the Rodgers-Adams connection, may have a solid ground game if we draft RB/OL well, and defense is solid but not shut-down and relies on the offense being at least good every week.
I look at the 2021 Packers very differently.

I think we are winning more due to our defense keeping us in games and holding the opponent under 24 points and the offense getting great production from the ground game on certain drives in the game. I know SF scored 28 points. But in reality they earned like 14 to 17 points in that game.

I think we are like 23rd in passing yards. We are not winning because of the air attack and I don't have much confidence in this team if needed to come back from a double digit deficit. It is why I think moving forward with keeping this defense together as much as possible, keeping the RBs together, continue to draft Oline and having one good veteran playmaker iand one young drafted playmaker in the perimeter can make this a playoff level team in 2022 no matter who is commanding the offense.

Every game after Week 2 the Packers have held their opponent to 14 points or less going into the 4th quarter. That is HUGE because it allows the Packers to do what they do. That is a very QB friendly team. I want to keep that team together as much as possible. Yes I know moving foward we will play more challenging offenses, but the expecations for 2022 will be very different than it is for 2021. A 6 loss season in 2022 will be a success - no mater who is QB because of what we will need to sacrifice from the 2020 and 2021 "all in". I'd rather keep as much of the clan together.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Gotta think Crosby and Lewis retire after this year, especially if we win it all. The Smith I think are both gone. Z is getting an attitude and P has underperformed. Dean could be a casualty despite playing well. Extending Jaire saves money. We could cut Turner and move Jenkins to RT and stick with Runyan and Newman at OG.

Their are plenty of ways to keep Adams. Adams wants 3 years fully guaranteed from reports I’ve read because he has seen how the Packers do their vets. The Packers never do that.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Outside of your failures like Kirksey, I can't think of too many veterans the Packers have cut before year 3.

I think the Packers treat their veterans and their contracts very well.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 13:05
Outside of your failures like Kirksey, I can't think of too many veterans the Packers have cut before year 3.

I agree. Very few examples of players getting released with more than 1 year remaining. In fact, that wasn't even one of Rodgers' gripes. It was the guys with expired contracts and the organization not even trying to re-new them. That might be cold, but it certainly isn't unfair.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
21 Oct 2021 13:09
go pak go wrote:

I agree. Very few examples of players getting released with more than 1 year remaining. In fact, that wasn't even one of Rodgers' gripes. It was the guys with expired contracts and the organization not even trying to re-new them. That might be cold, but it certainly isn't unfair.
I think the specific gripe was about vets who were willing to take discounts and us still not keeping them. Tho they may have been overpaid even with what they and AR saw as discounts, and there's a limit to what one can pay for vet leadership.

Star players don't want big guarantees because they believe they're on the verge of sucking. They want them in case of a rare nasty injury early in the deal. And because they can.

On the kicker note earlier, it's interesting GB has protected their practice squad kicker all season....

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Beat writers Silverstein and Woods said that the kicker on the PS is legit and that he is absolutely the guy moving forward. They were saying they doubt Crosby wants to stick around for a rebuild. I think it was Silverstein but he said he gets the sense that Crosby is tired and ready to retire with all that’s gone on with his wife.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

side note: seems like I read KIrksey is having a great season so far, and as we watch how well Campbell is doing, me thinks at least some of KIrksey, Burns, etc issues where Pettine related, Barry has these ILB's playing there best.

I think the issues Rodgers was upset about was the FO lack of communication with players prior to release, it translates to a impression of lack of respect with players, just a guess though on my part.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 12:31
but the expecations for 2022 will be very different than it is for 2021. A 6 loss season in 2022 will be a success - no mater who is QB because of what we will need to sacrifice from the 2020 and 2021 "all in". I'd rather keep as much of the clan together.
for the average Packer fan the expectations wont change, most fans only care about one thing, Winning, and they don't care about salary cap, or what it cost to keep stars like Rodgers or Adams, etc.

the smartest thing Guty could do concerning his own job security is to get AR to do a extension, actually just keep kicking the can down the road, resign every player possible and worry about the cap 2 or 3 years from now.

believe me GPG your in a small minority of people that want to right the cap issue by trading away all these stars and start over with Love, hell I don't know anyone that actually agree's with you other then several in this forum. ;)

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

So sad many here seem to have written off #12 beyond '22. The dude could play 5 more years on MVP level, and statistics tell me it is virtually impossible to aquire three HoF QBs in a row. Bait AR to stay by extending Adams.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

No way in hell 2022 will be as doom and gloom as GPG predicts if Rodgers is on the roster. It will just be like most of his career here...decent roster with some major holes that he elevates to “playoff team that will be defeated in the playoffs”.

A healthy Rodgers led team with coach Lafleur ain’t going 6-11.
Last edited by Drj820 on 21 Oct 2021 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
21 Oct 2021 14:20
So sad many here seem to have written off #12 beyond '22. The dude could play 5 more years on MVP level, and statistics tell me it is virtually impossible to aquire three HoF QBs in a row. Bait AR to stay by extending Adams.
People are simply trying to be realistic about the salary cap constraints facing us next year and what it may take to get right. The likelihood that we can afford both Adams and Rodgers is very, very low. It would put the roster back into the late-TT, pre-Gutey range where we lacked enough star power--especially on D--to put a winning team around them.

I guess the point is that it will be a roster rebuild either way. The notion that Rodgers and/or Adams would want to stick around for that are also pretty low.

So there are a lot of factors, and given the offseason we just had, I'm not sure it's fair to discount or discourage people who are fairly convinced that Rodgers is out the door and that Adams may prefer to follow. It's not like they're bad fans. They're grappling with bad options realistically.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im of the belief that WRs are coming into the league every year and making an impact. I love Adams. He was one of my favorite packers for a long time. But I’m not desperate to resign him. He is the easiest of our stars to replace.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
21 Oct 2021 14:16
go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 12:31
but the expecations for 2022 will be very different than it is for 2021. A 6 loss season in 2022 will be a success - no mater who is QB because of what we will need to sacrifice from the 2020 and 2021 "all in". I'd rather keep as much of the clan together.
for the average Packer fan the expectations wont change, most fans only care about one thing, Winning, and they don't care about salary cap, or what it cost to keep stars like Rodgers or Adams, etc.

the smartest thing Guty could do concerning his own job security is to get AR to do a extension, actually just keep kicking the can down the road, resign every player possible and worry about the cap 2 or 3 years from now.

believe me GPG your in a small minority of people that want to right the cap issue by trading away all these stars and start over with Love, hell I don't know anyone that actually agree's with you other then several in this forum. ;)
If anyone comes with a solution to keep the gang together I am all ears.

It's just that nobody has provided one yet.
Yoop wrote: