Adams Contract Talks Halt

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Foosball wrote:
21 Oct 2021 19:22
Drj820 wrote:
21 Oct 2021 17:56
Rodgers is under contract in 2022. Adams is not under contract in 2022. Because we most likely do not have the salary cap space to keep both, I know who it makes more sense to let walk. Hint: the guy not under contract in 2022.
Part of Rodgers staying with the Packers was trading for Cobb. What do you think Rodgers will do if they let Adams go?

It makes sense to trade AR if they could get 2 1st round picks and a 2nd (may have to give up a 4th). That leaves cap room to resign Adams, Campbell, and get Jaire a new contract. Plus a few other players.

The idea of trading Love is ludicrous. Gute went out on a limb to draft him. He will want to give Jordan a chance to develop and prove himself. They wouldn’t get much in a trade because he is not shown anything yet.

Or they could put bring everyone back and put themselves in cap hell. I don’t see Murphy letting that happen. Remember we’re not just dealing with Aaron Rodgers ego but Gute’s and Murphy’s too. I don’t think they were happy with the position AR put them in and do they want to go through that every year?

The writing on the wall reads that Rodgers is gone after this season.
Let me clear in case I haven’t been, I understand that Rodgers may want to leave if we can’t resign Adams. I understand if Rodgers is ready to go!

When I talk about “keeping Rodgers” I’m talking about from the orgs perspective. Some have said “it is better for Rodgers and the org that they part ways after this season”.

I dispute that. It may be better for Rodgers to leave, I don’t see a world where the 2022 GBPs are a better football without a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

I wouldn’t push him out just bc we are in cap trouble due to drafting his replacement instead of Adams replacement.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
21 Oct 2021 19:41
Foosball wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
21 Oct 2021 17:56
Rodgers is under contract in 2022. Adams is not under contract in 2022. Because we most likely do not have the salary cap space to keep both, I know who it makes more sense to let walk. Hint: the guy not under contract in 2022.
Part of Rodgers staying with the Packers was trading for Cobb. What do you think Rodgers will do if they let Adams go?

It makes sense to trade AR if they could get 2 1st round picks and a 2nd (may have to give up a 4th). That leaves cap room to resign Adams, Campbell, and get Jaire a new contract. Plus a few other players.

The idea of trading Love is ludicrous. Gute went out on a limb to draft him. He will want to give Jordan a chance to develop and prove himself. They wouldn’t get much in a trade because he is not shown anything yet.

Or they could put bring everyone back and put themselves in cap hell. I don’t see Murphy letting that happen. Remember we’re not just dealing with Aaron Rodgers ego but Gute’s and Murphy’s too. I don’t think they were happy with the position AR put them in and do they want to go through that every year?

Let me clear in case I haven’t been, I understand that Rodgers may want to leave if we can’t resign Adams. I understand if Rodgers is ready to go!

When I talk about “keeping Rodgers” I’m talking about from the orgs perspective. Some have said “it is better for Rodgers and the org that they part ways after this season”.

I dispute that. It may be better for Rodgers to leave, I don’t see a world where the 2022 GBPs are a better football without a healthy Aaron Rodgers.

I wouldn’t push him out just bc we are in cap trouble due to drafting his replacement instead of Adams replacement.
You don't keep Rodgers because he is better than Love. You trade him because Love + the draft picks plus the salary cap room (so you can resign Alexander for example. And maybe even Adams) is a LOT better than Rodgers. And because Love needs to play and Rodgers is getting very long in the tooth. You wait too long and you get a conditional 6th for Rodgers and most of your good players like Alexander and Adams are on a different team. And then you have 2-3 years of 2-15 seasons. It is time.

With that said, it is already too late to get 2 1sts and a 2nd for Rodgers.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
21 Oct 2021 14:52
So if we try and keep Rodgers and Adams together, it means we can't save on Rodgers and must find what...$10 million of cap for a 2022 Adams (this means we are still deferring a lot of his salary).
From a recent Cheesehead TV posting:
Rodgers’ gargantuan cap hit in 2022 has everyone taking for granted this is his last dance with the Green and Gold. But that assumes he will want to force his way out by refusing to renegotiate. If Rodgers is willing, the two parties should be able to work out a deal that results in an extremely light 2022 cap hit, and pushes cash into the future.
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-lass- ... um=twitter
go pak go wrote:Could we do creative accounting and generate more cap liabilities on the balance sheet rather than recognize the expense? Some (though not as much as I think people assume we can).
Hell, it appears Rodgers reworking his final year into a multi-year extension alone could wipe out a significant portion of the 2022 cap deficit you seem to think is so dire. That is, if he so desires.

Z could restructure (or be cut) saving millions off the 2022 cap. Bahk could restructure saving millions off the 2022 cap. Clark could restructure saving millions off the 2022 cap. Jaire could sign an extension saving millions off the 2022 cap.

You could also see a contract for Adams with a light 2022 cap hit and heavier hits in future (larger cap) years.

Would that set the team up for future cap headaches? Sure, but the expected growth beyond 2022 is predicted to be pretty significant. I know [mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] has detailed some of those projections.

Point is, if Rodgers, Adams, and the Packers so desire they could make it work. That's a big "if" though. And would it be prudent considering the capital already invested in Rodgers' replacement? And the consequences on the future cap? Those are questions Packer management needs to ask themselves.

All I'm saying is it seems a number of people, you being most vocal, seem to believe it is a foregone conclusion that a 2022 roster featuring Rodgers and Adams is impossible. It's not impossible. Unlikely, yes. But not impossible.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
22 Oct 2021 06:42
go pak go wrote:
So if we try and keep Rodgers and Adams together, it means we can't save on Rodgers and must find what...$10 million of cap for a 2022 Adams (this means we are still deferring a lot of his salary).
Rodgers’ gargantuan cap hit in 2022 has everyone taking for granted this is his last dance with the Green and Gold. But that assumes he will want to force his way out by refusing to renegotiate. If Rodgers is willing, the two parties should be able to work out a deal that results in an extremely light 2022 cap hit, and pushes cash into the future.
go pak go wrote:Could we do creative accounting and generate more cap liabilities on the balance sheet rather than recognize the expense? Some (though not as much as I think people assume we can).
Hell, it appears Rodgers reworking his final year into a multi-year extension alone could wipe out a significant portion of the 2022 cap deficit you seem to think is so dire. That is, if he so desires.

Z could restructure (or be cut) saving millions off the 2022 cap. Bahk could restructure saving millions off the 2022 cap. Clark could restructure saving millions off the 2022 cap. Jaire could sign an extension saving millions off the 2022 cap.

You could also see a contract for Adams with a light 2022 cap hit and heavier hits in future (larger cap) years.

Would that set the team up for future cap headaches? Sure, but the expected growth beyond 2022 is predicted to be pretty significant. I know @YoHoChecko has detailed some of those projections.

Point is, if Rodgers, Adams, and the Packers so desire they could make it work. That's a big "if" though. And would it be prudent considering the capital already invested in Rodgers' replacement? And the consequences on the future cap? Those are questions Packer management needs to ask themselves.

All I'm saying is it seems a number of people, you being most vocal, seem to believe it is a foregone conclusion that a 2022 roster featuring Rodgers and Adams is impossible. It's not impossible. Unlikely, yes. But not impossible.
I addressed these "moves" on the last page. My high level math got us to around $25 million to the good on cap if these things happened with roughly 30 players signed on contract.

The one thing I didn't consider doing was restructuring Bakh by converting some Roster bonus into signing bonus which would free up like $3 million to $5 million if necessary.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Oct 2021 20:24
Drj820 wrote:
Foosball wrote:

You don't keep Rodgers because he is better than Love. You trade him because Love + the draft picks plus the salary cap room (so you can resign Alexander for example. And maybe even Adams) is a LOT better than Rodgers. And because Love needs to play and Rodgers is getting very long in the tooth. You wait too long and you get a conditional 6th for Rodgers and most of your good players like Alexander and Adams are on a different team. And then you have 2-3 years of 2-15 seasons. It is time.

you can be sure of one thing, almost no one thinks like you, Rodgers is easily worth what you say he isn't, I'd bet therre are half a Doz teams willing to part with 2 first, and a 2nd and probably MORE.

and no one knows yet who or what Love can become, and we can resign everyone you just claimed we couldn't and still Keep Rodgers, nothing you just said is the prefered direction our FO would like to travel going forward.

If Love tanks where do you think Guty will be working? the guy aint stupid, he knows his best chance for success is keeping Rodgers right here.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
22 Oct 2021 07:30
TheSkeptic wrote:
21 Oct 2021 20:24
Drj820 wrote:

you can be sure of one thing, almost no one thinks like you, Rodgers is easily worth what you say he isn't, I'd bet therre are half a Doz teams willing to part with 2 first, and a 2nd and probably MORE.

and no one knows yet who or what Love can become, and we can resign everyone you just claimed we couldn't and still Keep Rodgers, nothing you just said is the prefered direction our FO would like to travel going forward.

If Love tanks where do you think Guty will be working? the guy aint stupid, he knows his best chance for success is keeping Rodgers right here.
yeah haha to say that Rodgers couldnt get two 1s and a 2 is something I strongly disagree with. half a dozen teams would do everything in their power for three years of Rodgers leading their team.

Also, saying a team of Love plus quality players is better than Rodgers minus a few quality players...really projects a lot that we just do not know about Love. Is he good under pressure? Is he a good leader? Can he be consistent? Can he get us into the right looks? I mean there are just a million unknowns.

One thing is known though, Rodgers doesnt need a million stars to make the O work. He needs a defense that wont blow the game, a high end WR either brought in or drafted (if Adams leaves), and thats about it.

Some see it as some pinnacle miracle to achieve a 10 or 11 win season next year even if Rodgers is QB. I strongly disagree. I would call that a resounding success if Love was QB, but I mean cmon Rodgers will have what he needs. We know for certain (barring injuries) that he will have a strong OL, one of the best RB rooms in the league at RB 1-3, and a clever head coach. With Rodgers next year, this team is absolutely a division favorite and almost a playoff lock. Its not so doom and gloom. Rodgers has won with less than what he will have next year, many times.

I do agree we may not be viewed as instant "contenders", but I dont think we are anywhere close to being thought of that with Love at QB and Rodgers gone anyways.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
22 Oct 2021 07:14
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Would that set the team up for future cap headaches? Sure, but the expected growth beyond 2022 is predicted to be pretty significant. I know @YoHoChecko has detailed some of those projections.

I addressed these "moves" on the last page. My high level math got us to around $25 million to the good on cap if these things happened with roughly 30 players signed on contract.

The one thing I didn't consider doing was restructuring Bakh by converting some Roster bonus into signing bonus which would free up like $3 million to $5 million if necessary.
Do you know how much the bottom 25 players are costing the Packers in salary cap charge this year? After the Mercilus acquisition, the bottom 25 roster cap charge stands collectively at ~$18.4 mil if my low level math is correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Granted, there will be draft picks and whatnot whose salaries exceed those of the bottom 25, but $25 mil definitely leaves some wiggle room to complete an NFL caliber roster.

Again, Rodgers and Adams being a part of the 2022 Packers is not an impossibility. Improbable, yes, but NOT impossible.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:01
I do agree we may not be viewed as instant "contenders", but I dont think we are anywhere close to being thought of that with Love at QB and Rodgers gone anyways.
As we weren't in 2008. No one thinks we are better Day 1 in 2022 with Love at QB (at least I don't know anyone that thinks that). There will be a transition period and some growing pains. That is to be expected. It's all about the long game. The goal is to be having this exact same argument, again, in another 15 years. That's the trade off. How many more years with Rodgers, the known commodity, versus Love, who if he hits... even if he is never as good as Rodgers (likely) for the next decade and a half plus. Once you have that in place, you can build the team around the QB. That is much harder to do if Rodgers is playing year-to-year like Favre did.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:13
go pak go wrote:
22 Oct 2021 07:14
APB wrote:

Do you know how much the bottom 25 players are costing the Packers in salary cap charge this year? After the Mercilus acquisition, the bottom 25 roster cap charge stands collectively at ~$18.4 mil if my low level math is correct.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Granted, there will be draft picks and whatnot whose salaries exceed those of the bottom 25, but there is definitely some wiggle room to complete an NFL caliber roster.

Again, Rodgers and Adams being a part of the 2022 Packers is not an impossibility. Improbable, yes, but NOT impossible.
I remember growing up hearing how much of a "magician" Russ Ball was. IF (big if), Rodgers and Adams both really wanted to return to the Packers in 2022...a "magician" could certainly get the job done.

I think it is more unlikely because Adams may decide he wants the most money of any WR at any cost, or Rodgers still hates the org, or is just ready to move on.

But as APB said, if they both decide they actually want to stay...of course if could get done.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:13
Nope. Not impossible. You can make it work in 2022, but do a projection. Figure out where the 2023 cap savings are. I do think Rodgers + Adams, for sure, costs you one of Jenkins or Alexander, if not both and guts much of the team for 2022 to start with.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:19
Drj820 wrote:
As we weren't in 2008. No one thinks we are better Day 1 in 2022 with Love at QB (at least I don't know anyone that thinks that). There will be a transition period and some growing pains. That is to be expected. It's all about the long game. The goal is to be having this exact same argument, again, in another 15 years. That's the trade off. How many more years with Rodgers, the known commodity, versus Love, who if he hits... even if he is never as good as Rodgers (likely) for the next decade and a half plus. Once you have that in place, you can build the team around the QB. That is much harder to do if Rodgers is playing year-to-year like Favre did.
Well, as you know, it really comes down to how confident the team is that Love will "hit". Because if he is the next Herbert, Mahommes, etc then you stop caring how many years of elite play Rodgers has in the tank and I guess you just move on.

But i have no doubt in my mind that (if healthy), Rodgers has probably 3 more seasons of elite QB play. Some...seem ready to punt on those three years and flush them down drain in order to take the "risk" of moving on into the future.

I think its silly to push a known commodity out of the door who is a HOFer, in exchange for an unknown commodity. Like I said, you just better be almost 95% sure about Love.

The things you are saying would make more sense to me if Rodgers was 40 years old, and his play on the field was obviously starting to decline. The convo could then be "do we hang on to what we know can get us to playoffs but probably not more, or move on to the unknown and take a risk with Love."

I believe the convo you are having is happening about 2 years premature.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:26
The convo isn't just about the QB's, though. The salary cap is a HUGE determining factor here. If you guarantee 3 years of Rodgers, are you OK with the first two years playing with a lesser team to flush salary?

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

There is NO DOUBT that we CAN resign Adams and extend Rodgers. That ABSOLUTELY can happen, and I don't think there is a soul that is saying it can't. HOWEVER, sacrifices in personnel will have to be made to fit under the cap in 2022, especially. I don't foresee us getting Rodgers for less than a cap hit of $25 million in 2022 (4 year extension, $100 million signing bonus), and probably no lower than a $10 to $12 million cap hit for Adams. So just with resigning Adams and Rodgers we save around $15 million, liberal estimate. Need to free up $15 million more even before doing anything else. Then you have to look at who else are we not able to resign or extend. Just like it is not impossible to resign both, it is also not a foregone conclusion that resigning both makes us a better team regardless of what ever else happens.

We are going all in this year, that means tough cap times in 2022.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 22 Oct 2021 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

When people talk about how good Russ Ball was/is, I attribute that language to GM's being able to plan 2 - 4 years out on their moves and how it impacts rosters.

Making moves to "just get by" next year is not magician work. That's why every columnist, who majored in journalism in college mind you, can come up with ways to "make it work" for 2022.

But that doesn't mean it's in the best interest of the organization. Yes the 2022 Packers may have a better outlook for 2022 if Rodgers is here. But will we have a better outlook beyond that? I tend to lean no. Especially if the organization sees something in Love.

I can get on the Adams train easier because he could help develop and make life easy for the next developing QB.

I want to win rings. The 2022 - 2024 Packers with Rodgers and Adams on the team will be a worse roster than the 2019 - 2021 Packers which have also netted us 0 rings at this point. You're either going up or going down. I would rather take the chance on ascension after this season rather than trying to keep things together as much as possible knowing full well we have to endure roster leaks.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:28
Drj820 wrote:
The convo isn't just about the QB's, though. The salary cap is a HUGE determining factor here. If you guarantee 3 years of Rodgers, are you OK with the first two years playing with a lesser team to flush salary?
I am okay with signing Jaire and having Stokes on a rookie deal.
I am okay with signing Jenkins and having an elite OL over the next couple of years
I am okay with having Dillon and Jones lead the backfield...while potentially parting with Jones in 2023 and letting the backfield be Hill and Dillon.
I am okay with letting Adams walk, and drafting a WR with our first or second pick in the draft.

I am sure some tough decisions will have to be made, but yes if asked if whether I would rather have a few less pieces and a HOF QB for two more years...or more pieces and an unknown at QB. I will choose the QB.

However, we know Rodgers and the team have some sort of deal so this whole convo depends on Rodgers deciding he wants to stay...But if he wants to stay, no way i push him out of the door just because we drafted his replacement and a back up RB instead of players to replace Adams.

I understand the thought exercise of trying to keep both Rodgers and Adams...but I advocate for just keeping Rodgers IF he wants to stay, and I am fine with Adams going to a different pasture to get mega paid. My plan to keep Rodgers involves a future without Adams where we draft a high end WR in 2022.
Last edited by Drj820 on 22 Oct 2021 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

And I apologize to the forum for using the word "impossible" on Page 6 of this thread. (to be fair, I kept thinking I said "nearly impossible")

I absolutely hate it when I use words that are slightly off that allow windows for tangent arguments. I agree. Improbable is a better word than impossible. Though materially both words are very similar in weight in this discussion.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

yes if asked if whether I would rather have a few less pieces and a HOF QB for two more years...or more pieces and an unknown at QB. I will choose the QB.
No issues there. That doesn't automatically make us better, just like going with Love and keeping those other pieces doesn't automatically make us better.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:19
Drj820 wrote:
Well, as you know, it really comes down to how confident the team is that Love will "hit". Because if he is the next Herbert, Mahommes, etc then you stop caring how many years of elite play Rodgers has in the tank and I guess you just move on.

But i have no doubt in my mind that (if healthy), Rodgers has probably 3 more seasons of elite QB play. Some...seem ready to punt on those three years and flush them down drain in order to take the "risk" of moving on into the future.

I think its silly to push a known commodity out of the door who is a HOFer, in exchange for an unknown commodity. Like I said, you just better be almost 95% sure about Love.

The things you are saying would make more sense to me if Rodgers was 40 years old, and his play on the field was obviously starting to decline. The convo could then be "do we hang on to what we know can get us to playoffs but probably not more, or move on to the unknown and take a risk with Love."

I agree, the future is a one year at a time thing, if we win the SB obviously it's hard to predict what Rodgers will do, if we again are tapping on the SB door then I think Guty and Russ Ball will do everything they can to keep most of this team together and go for it again next year, and the year after that too, only makes sense, I've never really bought in to the mantra that we've went all in on just this year, mostly I've felt that all the off season Rodgers drama was mostly meant to just light a fire in Guty to do all he can to get us back the dance hall again, and it's looked like that has worked pretty well.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:38
And I apologize to the forum for using the word "impossible" on Page 6 of this thread. (to be fair, I kept thinking I said "nearly impossible")

I absolutely hate it when I use words that are slightly off that allow windows for tangent arguments. I agree. Improbable is a better word than impossible. Though materially both words are very similar in weight in this discussion.
I hate absolutes :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:41
yes if asked if whether I would rather have a few less pieces and a HOF QB for two more years...or more pieces and an unknown at QB. I will choose the QB.
No issues there. That doesn't automatically make us better, just like going with Love and keeping those other pieces doesn't automatically make us better.
Rodgers ability elevates the play of not just receivers but almost everyone on offense, Rodger makes receivers better then almost any other QB could, do you think Adams would be best in league with some other QB? doubtful.