Football Team @ Packers, Official GDT, Noon, Oct. 24th

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Oct 2021 07:31
APB wrote:
22 Oct 2021 06:05
I know @lupedafiasco will be happy to hear this. You wanna get your weekly "kick it out the end zone" reminder in early this week...?

:mrgreen: :lol: :twisted:

At least he’s aware. Good to hear it for once.
Why? Why is not possible to kick it into the EZ every time? When Crosby doesn't, it always looks intentional. I don't buy that he's trying to kick it deep every time.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wind for one. Crosby's old leg for another.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
22 Oct 2021 08:11
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
I know @lupedafiasco will be happy to hear this. You wanna get your weekly "kick it out the end zone" reminder in early this week...?

Why? Why is not possible to kick it into the EZ every time? When Crosby doesn't, it always looks intentional. I don't buy that he's trying to kick it deep every time.
Yeah I don’t buy it either. If Crosby can bang 55 yards with a holder and a rush coming at him he should be able to get the ball deep into the end zone.

It has looked intentional to me for quite some time they are trying to put the ball in play. Last year it looked like they were trying to put the ball in the corners with air under it and it always backfired.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:

spot on, the goal is to kick high and drop it inside the 10, hang time allows coverage to hopefully get a stop short of the 25 or even the 20, and possibly get a fumble, that was apparent last year and at times so far this season.

obviously against the wind any Kicker will struggle to get a touch back, but on a normal day Crosby can still kick it into the EZ.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
22 Oct 2021 09:07
NCF wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

spot on, the goal is to kick high and drop it inside the 10, hang time allows coverage to hopefully get a stop short of the 25 or even the 20, and possibly get a fumble, that was apparent last year and at times so far this season.

obviously against the wind any Kicker will struggle to get a touch back, but on a normal day Crosby can still kick it into the EZ.
I feel like NFL rules made it obvious that everyone could kick in the end zone if they wanted to, but the coaches like Belichik gamed the system and said "why must i give them the ball at the 25" and they started doing what you are describing....for teams like the Pats that plan has worked great. They have great coverage and often get teams to start before the 25. However, we have bad coverage. If we are trying to implement something like that it is because we are dreaming and not living in the reality that our coverage is inconsistent at best and often sucks.

Glad coach seems to be seeing the situation a little more clear now and is no longer trying to be greedy. The NFL moved up the kickoff to help eliminate kickoff returns...go along with the NFL and lets just play ball at the 25. Works for me.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

In theory with the kickoff being at the 35 instead of 25, it allows kickers to direction ally kick and kick higher in the past. In addition, the kickoff team is closer so that is why we are seeing a lot of kick returns being stopped at the 15 or less. The Packers even do this.

But the Packers also have a history of being undisciplined and allowing those inopportune returns to get to the 35 plus yardline. For that reason, I agree to be more risk averse in our STs approach.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t give a shot what any other team is able to do kicking the ball and stopping the returner before the 25. Clearly we can’t. So stop doing it. It’s hurting the team and it is insanity to me that we can’t just concede the 25 yard line instead of risking them starting at the 35-40.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Oct 2021 09:50
I don’t give a shot what any other team is able to do kicking the ball and stopping the returner before the 25. Clearly we can’t. So stop doing it. It’s hurting the team and it is insanity to me that we can’t just concede the 25 yard line instead of risking them starting at the 35-40.
ehhhhh, in on e breath you applaud the defense, in the next ya don't trust them to stop the opponent if ya give them a few yards better field position to start, most of the time our coverage doesn't let them past the 25, plus ya have the chance to actually pin them back or even cause a turn over, ya got to gamble on that at least some of the time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Weeks 1 - 2 our STs were actually really aweseom.

Week 3 - 4 they weren't. And then Week 6...that Bears returner is just REALLY good.

What really ticks me off is when we allow a long return right before half or regulation to put the opponent at mid field when they otherwise weren't going to score (think SF)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
22 Oct 2021 10:00
lupedafiasco wrote:
ehhhhh, in on e breath you applaud the defense, in the next ya don't trust them to stop the opponent if ya give them a few yards better field position to start, most of the time our coverage doesn't let them past the 25, plus ya have the chance to actually pin them back or even cause a turn over, ya got to gamble on that at least some of the time.
Its just analytics. Teams are more likely to score when they have better field position.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Oct 2021 10:16
Weeks 1 - 2 our STs were actually really aweseom.

Week 3 - 4 they weren't. And then Week 6...that Bears returner is just REALLY good.

What really ticks me off is when we allow a long return right before half or regulation to put the opponent at mid field when they otherwise weren't going to score (think SF)
good point, I think thats the time to kick conservatively for the touch back, specially if your ahead :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

image.png
image.png (35.11 KiB) Viewed 350 times
image.png
image.png (46.17 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Myers not going to IR already feels like a good sign for him

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I wouldn’t mind getting this win without Preston this time and giving him the rest. We need back at full strength for the stretch, not playing dinged up all year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:21
I wouldn’t mind getting this win without Preston this time and giving him the rest. We need back at full strength for the stretch, not playing dinged up all year.
I too am sort of hoping they rest Preston. I know he wants to play against his former team, but another game of Garvin, Gary and asking Mercilus to give us 10 - 15 snaps sounds okay to me.

I also hope we can limit Kenny Clark's snaps in this game. If there is one game where we can hope we get to a big lead and be able to coast the 2nd half, the game before a Thursday Night game is it.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Agree, it seems we can't kick it to the end zone, no stop the opposing team behind the 25. If we have the ability to kick it into the end zone, please do, every time. Every single time. No squib kicks before halftime or late in the game, nothing, touchbacks. 100% of the time.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:35
lupedafiasco wrote:
Agree, it seems we can't kick it to the end zone, no stop the opposing team behind the 25. If we have the ability to kick it into the end zone, please do, every time. Every single time. No squib kicks before halftime or late in the game, nothing, touchbacks. 100% of the time.
Conversely, when the other team kicks it to the goal line, feel free to advance it beyond the 15. That's fine. No penalty for that. The only thing more embarrassing than our KO coverage team is our KO return team.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:24
Drj820 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:21
I too am sort of hoping they rest Preston. I know he wants to play against his former team, but another game of Garvin, Gary and asking Mercilus to give us 10 - 15 snaps sounds okay to me.

I also hope we can limit Kenny Clark's snaps in this game. If there is one game where we can hope we get to a big lead and be able to coast the 2nd half, the game before a Thursday Night game is it.
Yeah short week coming up. I think its best to sit him.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:39
BF004 wrote:
22 Oct 2021 15:35
lupedafiasco wrote:
Conversely, when the other team kicks it to the goal line, feel free to advance it beyond the 15. That's fine. No penalty for that. The only thing more embarrassing than our KO coverage team is our KO return team.
Thats my other complaint. If it is anywhere inside the endzone just let it go.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

1st 40 burger of the year. Special teams or not.
45-17 home team. Lets go