Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:42
Yoop wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:35
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Oct 2021 11:56
Eventually, these teams have to figure out that building an OLine is the most important thing they need to do, above finding the next QB, right?

A fancy new QB does nothing but get wasted if you can't protect them when they pass and relieve their pressure by being able to sometimes run.
yet the first thing Teddy T did was fire our two Guards and draft a WR round two :rotf:
He did it all.

He drafted Rodgers then Collins then Terrance Murphy
Hawk, then Colledge, then Jennings, Abdul Hodge and then Spitzy

The high percentage success rate of hits of drafted Olinemen by GB after Tony Manderich is downright amazing. I believe Jason Spriggs and Sherrod are the only real busts in that group over 30 years.
just pointing out that Ted liked a loaded gun, heck he dumped our PB G's and waited till the 5th round that year to even attempt to replace them with Coston, 2nd year he took Colledge, and then took another receiver with Jennings, a year later James Jones, a year later Nelson, two years later Cobb, 3 years later Adams, Ted had a track record of spending top picks on WR, and that formula was a winning formula, then he stopped and the offense struggled.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:53
Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Oct 2021 11:56
Eventually, these teams have to figure out that building an OLine is the most important thing they need to do, above finding the next QB, right?

A fancy new QB does nothing but get wasted if you can't protect them when they pass and relieve their pressure by being able to sometimes run.
yet the first thing Teddy T did was fire our two Guards and draft a WR round two :rotf:
Yes, TT did that. He had a 36-year-old starting QB, not a rookie one. And I remember him saying in interviews he hated weakening the OL, but he had to because the team was in dire cap straits...

Yoop, do you think it should be the other way around? If you have a young QB, prioritize getting a stable of great targets over building the OL? If so, what's your reasoning?
well no, actually I tend to agree some with your reasoning, doesn't matter how good the receivers are if the QB has no time to set up and throw he'll get killed unless he has legs to out run the rush.

thing is though typically a GM wont be given time to build a great OL, so therre has to be a happy medium here, get a good blind side tackle, a quality center, and fill the rest with capable starters, but also get him a couple good receivers.

the opposite is also true, having a all pro OL (spending all top picks to build OL) wont keep a GM in favor with anyone if he loses to many game, and OL don't score points, points are important :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Hey Darnold!

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:00
just pointing out that Ted liked a loaded gun, heck he dumped our PB G's and waited till the 5th round that year to even attempt to replace them with Coston, 2nd year he took Colledge, and then took another receiver with Jennings, a year later James Jones, a year later Nelson, two years later Cobb, 3 years later Adams, Ted had a track record of spending top picks on WR, and that formula was a winning formula, then he stopped and the offense struggled.
Yoop, you forgot that TT also brought in veteran guards Adrian Klemm and Matt O'Dwyer. It didn't work out, but he tried.

Oh, and he drafted Will Whittaker, too.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:42
Yoop wrote:

He did it all.

He drafted Rodgers then Collins then Terrance Murphy
Hawk, then Colledge, then Jennings, Abdul Hodge and then Spitzy

The high percentage success rate of hits of drafted Olinemen by GB after Tony Manderich is downright amazing. I believe Jason Spriggs and Sherrod are the only real busts in that group over 30 years.
I don’t mind if we don’t take receivers with tops picks as often as TT did but you gotta at least take some swings. Gutey went and took 3 WRs in 2018 and they all ended being pretty bad. MVS is mid at best. Not taking any WRs in 2019 I can understand. Maybe hoping for one to turn around from the previous class. Not taking a single WR in 2020 was moronic. This year we finally grab one but it’s too late. The 2018 class didn’t grow and there’s nothing to show from 19 or 20. Thank god we have a player GM who recognized what was happening and forced Gutenbumst hand to get Cobb.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:19
Yoop wrote:
Yoop, you forgot that TT also brought in veteran guards Adrian Klemm and Matt O'Dwyer. It didn't work out, but he tried.

I don't remember all that much from that year, but I do remember how god-awful Whittiker was. I think due to injuries we had to play him at tackle even if the guy was about as agile as a legless hippo. Never played in the NFL again. I guess TT learned his lesson.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

:box:
NCF wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:40
BF004 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:17
image.png
For as top heavy as the NFC seems, there certainly are some stinkers in the fringe play-off positions.
Packers can easily be 7-5 after the next 6 games. Vikings are 2 plays away from being 5-1. Not sure about the Saints. But yeah, we stink.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:29
I don't remember all that much from that year, but I do remember how god-awful Whittiker was.
Not good, not at all, but still outplayed the higher draft pick and two UFA signings.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I purposely left that out because it degraded my argument :lol:

I thought College was a pretty good draft pick, didn't think Spitz was as bad as GPG claimed either, I guess my point is that normally it does take years to build a solid starting 5 ol, and in the mean time the goal is still to win games, in that respect ya need impact receivers, players that put up points.

I always use the "Ted cut the G's the moment he walked in the door" to counter all arguments against having bon a fide world class WR's, obviously it helps to have both. ;)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:30
Packers can easily be 7-5 after the next 6 games.
I guarantee they aren't!

:hide:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:32
I thought College was a pretty good draft pick, didn't think Spitz was as bad as GPG claimed either
wtf? :?: :?: :?:

is slander a hobby of yours?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:34
Raptorman wrote:
Packers can easily be 7-5 after the next 6 games.
I guarantee they aren't!

:hide:
Especially since, currently 6-1 (7 games played) + 6 games = 13 games. To be 7-5 after 13 games would be something.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I f*cking love Spitzy. I loved the Colledge/Spitzy/Moll tandem.

I loved how much they were friends and I was an avid watcher and fan of the Daryn Colledge experience. I had a beer with Colledge's mom!!! (super fun family by the way)

Normally I wouldn't freak out about false accusations but I get pretty mad when sh*t is made up about me not liking some of my absolute all time favorite players.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
:box:
NCF wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:40
BF004 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 12:17
image.png
For as top heavy as the NFC seems, there certainly are some stinkers in the fringe play-off positions.
Packers can easily be 7-5 after the next 6 games. Vikings are 2 plays away from being 5-1. Not sure about the Saints. But yeah, we stink.
I was specifically looking at a team like Atlanta, but yeah, cry. The Vikings suck, too. There, is that what you wanted?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:41
Yoop wrote:
I thought College was a pretty good draft pick, didn't think Spitz was as bad as GPG claimed either

I don't think [mention]Yoop[/mention] realizes Colledge/Spitz/Moll were drafted in 2006. Coston and Whittaker were the two OL drafted in 2005 to replace Wahle and Rivera.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I actually thought the same thing.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:48
go pak go wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:41
Yoop wrote:

I don't think @Yoop realizes Colledge/Spitz/Moll were drafted in 2006. Coston and Whittaker were the two OL drafted in 2005 to replace Wahle and Rivera.
And I think yoop mixed up Spitz and Spriggs. :idn:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Perhaps "GPG" means Green Bay Press Gazette? I don't know, I'm just spit-balling here
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:29
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I don't remember all that much from that year, but I do remember how god-awful Whittiker was. I think due to injuries we had to play him at tackle even if the guy was about as agile as a legless hippo. Never played in the NFL again. I guess TT learned his lesson.
we drafted for athletism and quickness to the point most of our OL picks got tossed around, Whitiker was a 7th rounder, it's nice when ya find a Tausher, but most are like Whitiker, we took a few others, Barbre, Moll, Giacomini, finally we took Sitton and Lang in back to back drafts thats quite a few shots to finally replacing Revira and Wahl.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Oct 2021 13:46
I f*cking love Spitzy. I loved the Colledge/Spitzy/Moll tandem.

I loved how much they were friends and I was an avid watcher and fan of the Daryn Colledge experience. I had a beer with Colledge's mom!!! (super fun family by the way)

Normally I wouldn't freak out about false accusations but I get pretty mad when sh*t is made up about me not liking some of my absolute all time favorite players.

wow freak out why don't cha, sorry to mix up sprigs for Spitz, point is none where blu chip OL, and Ted valued giving Favre and Rodgers players that score points over using 1st and 2nd rounders on OL.

this whole argument is about building a offense starting from scratch, and I'll go with QB, blind side tackle, WR, first and fore most, then build in around those 3.

Wolf said if he had one regret it was not giving Favre enough WR's, Thompson listened, and gave Rodgers 2nd or 3rd round WR his first 4 draft classes, he new that scoring points is the number 1 goal for any team.

obviously we'd all like a complete unit, great OL, QB, RB, etc. but in this era of UFA it's impossible to keep all the great players, point is we've lost OL before, we all know G's are almost as low on the totem poll as a ILB ( well not that low, but ya know what I mean :lol: ) and unless ya plan to pound the pig a lot, then any ol pass pro G will do, so getting back to protecting a pigeon QB, again load that freaking gun, give him offensive impact players and any ol mediocre OL will do, thats all Rodgers had when he first started, other then the aging T's the others where 1st and 2nd year players that struggled, Wells started for a long time, but neither of Spitz or College where any more then just average starters, even Wells imo wasn't much better, specially when it came to run blocking.