General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Oct 2021 13:13
TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2021 12:58
paco wrote:
29 Oct 2021 12:09
I'm starting to get on board with the Evan Engram hype. We can make his deal work. Could be a really nice Tonyan replacement.
Not me. He has a drops problem. He is not much bigger than Deguara.

I know it is out of the box, but why not let Lazard fill that role. He is 227 and lanky. Gaining 5 pounds before the playoffs should not be that big a deal. Then MVS becomes the full time WR#2.
I know Engram isn't that big, but he's much more of a receiving threat than anyone else we have on the roster. A change of scenery might be what he needs. Certainly worked wonders for a few guys we've brought in. They are not going to ask Lazard to play as much inline TE as Tonyan was playing. But now's the time to adjust in any case. Will be interesting to see what they do.

You guys are right about Kaufusi. I really know nothing about Davis.
How much worse is Engram then Dequara, cripes Dequara can't even compete with Lewis for playing time in pass formations, misses blocks and assignments in run formations, Tonyan as limited as he is as a route runner was still one of Rodges go to guys, this is a bummer to lose him

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Oct 2021 13:29
paco wrote:
29 Oct 2021 13:13
TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2021 12:58

Not me. He has a drops problem. He is not much bigger than Deguara.

I know it is out of the box, but why not let Lazard fill that role. He is 227 and lanky. Gaining 5 pounds before the playoffs should not be that big a deal. Then MVS becomes the full time WR#2.
I know Engram isn't that big, but he's much more of a receiving threat than anyone else we have on the roster. A change of scenery might be what he needs. Certainly worked wonders for a few guys we've brought in. They are not going to ask Lazard to play as much inline TE as Tonyan was playing. But now's the time to adjust in any case. Will be interesting to see what they do.

You guys are right about Kaufusi. I really know nothing about Davis.
How much worse is Engram then Dequara, cripes Dequara can't even compete with Lewis for playing time in pass formations, misses blocks and assignments in run formations, Tonyan as limited as he is as a route runner was still one of Rodges go to guys, this is a bummer to lose him
I can't say how well Engram has or hasn't played as I don't watch the Giants. But he's on the Giants so how great can things be there? With a guy like him, you are betting on his talent and athleticism and if he fits with what you are trying to do. He's different than anything we have. He's not Tonyan, he's not DeGuara, he's not Dafney, he's not Lewis. But I think he'd be an intriguing add.

But no doubt, losing Tonyan is a major bummer.
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
29 Oct 2021 13:33
He's different than anything we have.
Agreed
MLF uses different TEs for different jobs and the seam-splitter receiving role was Tonyan (and Sternberger.)
We just don't have that guy on the roster right now - so I can see how Gute might go shopping for that skillset. With Adams and MVS back in the fold, it really stresses the Safeties - and you need somebody to make them pay for leaving the middle of the field open when they lean coverage to the boundary guys.
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Evan Engram is a $%@# bum. I wouldn’t be surprised if the vaccine was made from his DNA because that bum couldn’t even catch Covid.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Oct 2021 13:50
Evan Engram is a $%@# bum. I wouldn’t be surprised if the vaccine was made from his DNA because that bum couldn’t even catch Covid.
Tell us what you think! :lol: :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
well if ya don't want Engram then which seam splitting TE thats available would want because we sure could use one?

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

If we are all in then Gutey needs to be on the phone with Miami about the cost of a Mike Gesicki rental.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Sometimes interacting with you is so tedious (which I'm sure you feel likewise about me). But good grief I'm glad you exist.

Gosh darnit if this isn't the best thing I've read all day.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
29 Oct 2021 14:15
lupedafiasco wrote:
well if ya don't want Engram then which seam splitting TE thats available would want because we sure could use one?
Does not much matter if he can split the seam but drops the ball, does it?

Oh and regarding lupe's comment, I loved it too. I wasn't laughing because I disagreed, I was laughing because it was perfect!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Oct 2021 14:15
lupedafiasco wrote:
I think we have been doing fine enough as it is and we are barely using our TEs. I think you just roll with Deguara, Lewis, and Dafney.

If we really need someone I would call up Trey Burton who is still a free agent. He’s always beat up but if he wants a shot back in the league for the minimum to play with Rodgers I would kick the tires.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

:ambulance:

No good news on the injury front

LaFleur confirmed Kylin Hill is out for the season

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If we do decide to replace Hill with an electric runner type, the guy I would like to see is Javian Hawkins.

I really liked him in the draft process. He is currently on LA's practice squad.

But if I am a betting man, we just bring up Taylor who I was really excited about during TC but somewhat disappointed in during Preseason games.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:21
If we do decide to replace Hill with an electric runner type, the guy I would like to see is Javian Hawkins.

I really liked him in the draft process. He is currently on LA's practice squad.

But if I am a betting man, we just bring up Taylor who I was really excited about during TC but somewhat disappointed in during Preseason games.
We need a pro caliber player who fully understands when to and when not to run the kickoff back. Can't be a fumbler either. Sheeshuźzzz!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:12
:ambulance:

No good news on the injury front

LaFleur confirmed Kylin Hill is out for the season

Free agent year for Tonyan where he was asked to block more than be a pass catcher. Very unfortunate for him. He will likely have to take a prove it deal somewhere and try to get his one big payday.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-sit-in ... 12787.html

I tend to agree. Now, where Tonyan is gone and this team looks for real I‘d at least take a deep look into the market.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
30 Oct 2021 21:02
https://sports.yahoo.com/packers-sit-in ... 12787.html

I tend to agree. Now, where Tonyan is gone and this team looks for real I‘d at least take a deep look into the market.
Eeeeeeee

Salary cap situation makes me reeeaaal hesitant to get anyone who isn't either free (minimum salary) or incredibly impactful.

We made a trade for Rodgers--we got him Cobb and it helped us win the game this week. With Davante, Lazard, and MVS returning, I don't really see a "we need another weapon" case, even down Tonyan.

If the Browns want to pay Odell's salaary and trade him to us, like I can see the case for a rebirth of an extremely talented player, but overall, like, what are we gonna do? Trade for Desean Jackson? What's the point.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Oct 2021 22:39

We made a trade for Rodgers--we got him Cobb and it helped us win the game this week. With Davante, Lazard, and MVS returning, I don't really see a "we need another weapon" case, even down Tonyan.
We do not know who will go down next, you can never have enough difference makers and Tonyan was one, so we could substitute him by a trade. Normally I would not consider it, but this team seems special. They win against good teams despite laying some own eggs and all that minus Bak. This team can be a real contender. And if #12 is gone then this could be our last shot for glory for 10 years. I know TT is rotating in his grave but right here and now is the moment to really consider to sell out for some Antonio-Brown-without-issues-dude…if!!! there is any, of course trades for trades sake make no sense, depends also if MLF sees Degura to be good enough to come in for Tonyan.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

German_Panzer wrote:
30 Oct 2021 23:03
We do not know who will go down next, you can never have enough difference makers and Tonyan was one, so we could substitute him by a trade. Normally I would not consider it, but this team seems special. They win against good teams despite laying some own eggs and all that minus Bak. This team can be a real contender. And if #12 is gone then this could be our last shot for glory for 10 years. I know TT is rotating in his grave but right here and now is the moment to really consider to sell out for some Antonio-Brown-without-issues-dude.
Yeah I guess I just really like the kind of no-cost moves we're crushing this year. Campbell late in the summer. Getting a draft pick and a gunner for Hollman and Josh Jackson. Finding Rasul Douglas on the street. Scooping up Jaylon Smith and Mercilus.

If we make a move this year, finding something more like this as they arise feels better to me. Anyone who moves the needle the way you and Charles Robinson seem to be suggesting would cost more than I think it may help. I just don't know how many available guys around the league can step right into our offense on a short learning curve and be where he's supposed to be enough to stay on the field and produce well enough to merit a high cost.

Though honestly, while I knocked it, Jackson as a returner/deep threat to roll through isn't something I'd hate, but I'dd prefer it to be after the Rams fail to get compensation for him and release him; doubt they'd deal him to a conference seeding rival anyway.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I like the idea of seeing if terrible Miami would like a draft pick for Geisecki
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2021 23:45
I like the idea of seeing if terrible Miami would like a draft pick for Geisecki
Gesicki doesn’t really gas me up, but yeah, he’s an expiring rookie contract who could bet us back a comp pick after he leaves, so certainly fits the bill