Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals - Thursday 7:20 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
29 Oct 2021 20:52
Yoop wrote:
29 Oct 2021 10:23
Drj820 wrote:
29 Oct 2021 10:08

if dillon is getting hit in the backfield, i choose to blame the blocking and not the back. full stop.
true, but that doesn't change anything, Dillon is slower getting to the LOS then Jones, and Jones is better laterally to change direction, this isn't a knock on Dillon simply my own observation of who I think is better in short yardage situations.

I think of these two RB's in some respects like we experienced with Taylor and Hornung, Taylor was dominate between the 20's, and Hornung was inside the 20's, like Jones he was very good at getting the TD's
And Taylor (my fave when I was a kid) wasn’t too pleased about the fact that The Golden Boy got most of the the credit and the glory for getting the ball into the EZ. Anyone who knows that era will agree that Paul Hornung had a nose for the end zone. Taylor you were a fine player, part of an incredible legacy…. and your peers have honored you for your accomplishments.
Also, Hornung was well-liked by his teammates. He may have been the most popular player on the Packers during his time on the team. He always supported and helped out his teammates. Taylor, while a hell of a great player, was not as well liked. He was not as team-oriented as Hornung. Man, I sure loved watching those two play though.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I see the discussion is already baked pretty well by now. But I only saw the game last night. So if you guys don’t mind, I’ll post some thoughts here and if anybody wants to pick them apart, have at it. If I repeat too many that’ve already been said, I’ll just apologize now.

1. No matter the quality of our play, we beat a very good team on their home field while we lacked a number of quality starters. I don’t care how it happened. This was a good WIN.

2. The pass rush! If it wasn’t evident that they found ways to get to the QB, that’s only because we weren’t watching. I was in awe.

3. Our RBs ran with an edge! They did a great job of finding holes and falling forward. I think Dillon established himself as a potential star, if he can hold on to the ball.

4. I don’t get why there’s any question about Aaron Rodgers playing a great game. Dump the “game manager” ideas. He had a plan and worked it very well. There’s just no question. If we think there is, then we should watch some tape of a litany of other QBs who would’ve had 3 INTs or taken a bunch of sacks. Rodgers played an MVP game.

5. The rookie WRs stepped up, even while the stage was too big for them. They were good enough. Yeah, guys like Amari Rodgers should’ve kept flat and parallel to the LOS on the one play. And those things didn’t help. But they were still helping to open up the passing game, with what was there.

6. I was actually impressed with the Cards’ defense. As much as the Pack made plays, the Cards had awesome pursuit and were actually pretty stout at the LOS most of the time. If there is any doubt, look at the Red Zone stops that they made. They were amazing. Speaking of that…

7. Why, when we had the running game going more than well enough, did we pass on almost every play within 5 yards of the EZ? Yeah, I know the defense bunches up more by the goal line. Yeah, I know we want to keep the ball in our MVPs hands. Ya da, ya da, ya da…

8. This game continues to show why MLF is a great coach who is willing this team to wins:
A. Different reason that we win each week.
B. Improvement in various aspects of the team (e.g. pass rush, play calling, STs, RZ defense, etc.).
C. Cohesion between all members of the team.
D. Casts a vision that the team has bought into and that directly affects confidence level.
E. Wining without, what is it now, 10 starters (Baktiari, Jaire, Z, Adams, MVS, King, Preston, Lazard, Jenkins, and Myers) being out much of the season and new guys filling in?

This is almost looking a LOT like 2010, a Super Bowl season.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

GJPackerBacker wrote:
29 Oct 2021 20:52
Yoop wrote:
29 Oct 2021 10:23
Drj820 wrote:
29 Oct 2021 10:08

if dillon is getting hit in the backfield, i choose to blame the blocking and not the back. full stop.
true, but that doesn't change anything, Dillon is slower getting to the LOS then Jones, and Jones is better laterally to change direction, this isn't a knock on Dillon simply my own observation of who I think is better in short yardage situations.

I think of these two RB's in some respects like we experienced with Taylor and Hornung, Taylor was dominate between the 20's, and Hornung was inside the 20's, like Jones he was very good at getting the TD's
And Taylor (my fave when I was a kid) wasn’t too pleased about the fact that The Golden Boy got most of the the credit and the glory for getting the ball into the EZ. Anyone who knows that era will agree that Paul Hornung had a nose for the end zone. Taylor you were a fine player, part of an incredible legacy…. and your peers have honored you for your accomplishments.
The backups were great as well --> Elijah Pitts and Tom Moore. The Earl Gros experiment never "packed out" / was a wasted 1962 Topps Packers card.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
30 Oct 2021 05:42
I see the discussion is already baked pretty well by now. But I only saw the game last night. So if you guys don’t mind, I’ll post some thoughts here and if anybody wants to pick them apart, have at it. If I repeat too many that’ve already been said, I’ll just apologize now.

1. No matter the quality of our play, we beat a very good team on their home field while we lacked a number of quality starters. I don’t care how it happened. This was a good WIN.

2. The pass rush! If it wasn’t evident that they found ways to get to the QB, that’s only because we weren’t watching. I was in awe.

3. Our RBs ran with an edge! They did a great job of finding holes and falling forward. I think Dillon established himself as a potential star, if he can hold on to the ball.

4. I don’t get why there’s any question about Aaron Rodgers playing a great game. Dump the “game manager” ideas. He had a plan and worked it very well. There’s just no question. If we think there is, then we should watch some tape of a litany of other QBs who would’ve had 3 INTs or taken a bunch of sacks. Rodgers played an MVP game.

5. The rookie WRs stepped up, even while the stage was too big for them. They were good enough. Yeah, guys like Amari Rodgers should’ve kept flat and parallel to the LOS on the one play. And those things didn’t help. But they were still helping to open up the passing game, with what was there.

6. I was actually impressed with the Cards’ defense. As much as the Pack made plays, the Cards had awesome pursuit and were actually pretty stout at the LOS most of the time. If there is any doubt, look at the Red Zone stops that they made. They were amazing. Speaking of that…

7. Why, when we had the running game going more than well enough, did we pass on almost every play within 5 yards of the EZ? Yeah, I know the defense bunches up more by the goal line. Yeah, I know we want to keep the ball in our MVPs hands. Ya da, ya da, ya da…

8. This game continues to show why MLF is a great coach who is willing this team to wins:
B. Improvement in various aspects of the team (e.g. pass rush, play calling, STs, RZ defense, etc.).
D. Casts a vision that the team has bought into and that directly affects confidence level.
E. Wining without, what is it now, 10 starters (Baktiari, Jaire, Z, Adams, MVS, King, Preston, Lazard, Jenkins, and Myers) being out much of the season and new guys filling in?

The "winning without 10 starters" is outrageous. Gutey and LaCoach are doing an outstanding job keeping the wheels on as the Packers quest toward a #1 seed. It's fun watching the new guys try their best when they're out there on the big stage.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My gosh our RBs were so good. Just always won the play.

This is amazing.

The Packers had 14 3rd downs. The Packers faced 3rd and 12 once (right before half when Winfree dropped it and then Jones lost 2) and a 3rd and 6 once. Did not convert either of them.

Otherwise EVERY third down we had was 3rd and 5 or less. 3 conversions were through the air (Tonyan, Cobb - TD and Deguara). 3 conversions were on the ground.

The Cardinals defense is really fast too which has been an issue for Aaron Jones in the past. This time however we really rode the legs of AJ Dillon and the Cardinals didn't have an answer for that.

This is what I have been wanting to see. Different ways of beating teams.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My guess is Kevin King will be ready to go for KC. My question is how that will impact the lineup.

At this point, I don't see how can leave Douglas off the field. He is so physical and such a good tackler. At another point King definitely had "that game" vs CIN where he actually played like he gave a damn. When King plays like he cares, he is actually a good corner and I think the competition at DB might really push all of them.

It might actually be good to rest some DBs on certain drives so they aren't so tired too which could be an advantage. If we get Jaire back, we will have a lot of depth at the CB spot. We will be 5 deep.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Great post! Totally agree with several, especially number 4

:aok:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:38
My guess is Kevin King will be ready to go for KC. My question is how that will impact the lineup.

At this point, I don't see how can leave Douglas off the field. He is so physical and such a good tackler. At another point King definitely had "that game" vs CIN where he actually played like he gave a damn. When King plays like he cares, he is actually a good corner and I think the competition at DB might really push all of them.

It might actually be good to rest some DBs on certain drives so they aren't so tired too which could be an advantage. If we get Jaire back, we will have a lot of depth at the CB spot. We will be 5 deep.
MLF said Friday that the CB rotation is likely to be scheme, opponent, and situation-dependent moving forward when everyone gets healthy. It's good to have options. :mrgreen:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:35
The Packers had 14 3rd downs. The Packers faced 3rd and 12 once (right before half when Winfree dropped it and then Jones lost 2) and a 3rd and 6 once. Did not convert either of them.

Otherwise EVERY third down we had was 3rd and 5 or less. 3 conversions were through the air (Tonyan, Cobb - TD and Deguara). 3 conversions were on the ground.
:shock:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:43
go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:38

MLF said Friday that the CB rotation is likely to be scheme, opponent, and situation-dependent moving forward when everyone gets healthy. It's good to have options. :mrgreen:
I was thinking about this too as I heard that as well.

Sullivan is a slot guy. Alexander can be a slot guy.

Douglas and King are both likely viewed as "outside guys"

Douglas is a much bigger guy who can lay hits

I honestly kind of view Douglas and King as the same type of corner except Douglas is "thicker". Both are slower (King is not his combine speed and Douglas is a 4.6 guy).

I just feel Douglas and King are very similar. When would one play over the other? Also, with Douglas being a bigger dude (he's like 210 pounds), could he start adopting that Woodson role? Is he quick enough for the slot? I would say that is a weakness of Sullivan. He doesn't blitz well and isn't a huge run stopper whereas Douglas has no qualms lighting people up.

I am intrigued putting Douglas in the nickle role. I also think we have a lot more flexibility now putting Alexander in the star role if we know we are facing a really fast/quick slot guy.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:53

I honestly kind of view Douglas and King as the same type of corner except Douglas is "thicker". Both are slower (King is not his combine speed and Douglas is a 4.6 guy).

I just feel Douglas and King are very similar. When would one play over the other? Also, with Douglas being a bigger dude (he's like 210 pounds), could he start adopting that Woodson role? Is he quick enough for the slot? I would say that is a weakness of Sullivan. He doesn't blitz well and isn't a huge run stopper whereas Douglas has no qualms lighting people up.

I am intrigued putting Douglas in the nickle role. I also think we have a lot more flexibility now putting Alexander in the star role if we know we are facing a really fast/quick slot guy.
Haha, King and Douglas? I genuinely tried to think of good examples of when King might make more sense and couldn't... I think that ship has sailed. But I think they might alternate between like King and Henry Black based on the scenario.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:05
go pak go wrote:

Haha, King and Douglas? I genuinely tried to think of good examples of when King might make more sense and couldn't... I think that ship has sailed. But I think they might alternate between like King and Henry Black based on the scenario.
To be fair, King did play great in Cincy. He triggered really well and when King does that, you know King is playing prime level, 2019 King.

Also, MLF did say that injuries won't lose you your starting job. So I am just curious how they play this all moving forward. Like do they switch Sully and King at slot like they did early in the year? It will be interesting.

I am all in favor of any and every package to keep Black off the field. Great interception for sure. But he is the one glaring player that I'm like, "I don't want to see on the field"

It used to be 2 players. But Yuckom has fortunately been relieved of his duties.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I want King off the roster. Get a pass rusher or run stopper instead. Need to sink the ship now.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:31
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I want King off the roster. Get a pass rusher or run stopper instead. Need to sink the ship now.
No you don't. You do not want to be in a position where we are one injury away from needing to play Yiadom or Jean-Charles.
Yoop wrote:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Scott4Pack wrote:
Dump the “game manager” ideas. He had a plan and worked it very well.
Isn't this the definition of 'game manager'?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:42
Scott4Pack wrote:
It literally is but people really really don't like that term I've learned. You are allowed to say "Rodgers managed the game well" but you are NOT allowed to say "Rodgers played the game manager role." Forbidden. Not worth it. Don't try.

:idn:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:46
Half Empty wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:42
Scott4Pack wrote:
It literally is but people really really don't like that term I've learned. You are allowed to say "Rodgers managed the game well" but you are NOT allowed to say "Rodgers played the game manager role." Forbidden. Not worth it. Don't try.

:idn:
I'd say about 10ish other QBs in the current NFL could have done what he did on Thursday. It was a good game, but not one that was peerless.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:41
Scott4Pack wrote:

This is exactly what disappoints me...no bums me out.

There are so, so many things to talk about and be proud about. The defense, our Oline and RBs and STs were just so effective to overcome a victory where DeAndre Hopkins makes one of the best God mode plays I have ever seen and a red zone offense who come away with only 3 points when having a 1st and goal twice from the 3 yardline or closer.

And yet the only thing that ever gets responses is the same thing over and over.

I mean a CB who wasn't even on the team 3 weeks ago (and fans hated because his name wasn't Stephon Gilmore) has 9 solo tackles. 2 Passes Defended and the game winning interception (which he had to have mind you because the offense failed and turned the ball over to put the game away) or our defense, that has had issues containing QBs, holds Murray to just 21 yards rushing due to great edge containment and pocket pressure and yet there is only one real topic that gets responded to all the time.

Honestly it's just weird. It's just weird to devote so much attention and conversation to an aspect of a game that didn't have all that much impact on the game.

This game was about defense, our rushing offense keeping ahead of the chains and ST's. And yet all the conversation is about is how good of a job we did getting players lined up while still burning 6 TO's and a, near game ruining, delay of game to do so.

it's just weird.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2021 09:01
Drj820 wrote:
30 Oct 2021 07:41
Scott4Pack wrote:

This is exactly what disappoints me...no bums me out.

There are so, so many things to talk about and be proud about. The defense, our Oline and RBs and STs were just so effective to overcome a victory where DeAndre Hopkins makes one of the best God mode plays I have ever seen and a red zone offense who come away with only 3 points when having a 1st and goal twice from the 3 yardline or closer.

And yet the only thing that ever gets responses is the same thing over and over.

I mean a CB who wasn't even on the team 3 weeks ago (and fans hated because his name wasn't Stephon Gilmore) has 9 solo tackles. 2 Passes Defended and the game winning interception (which he had to have mind you because the offense failed and turned the ball over to put the game away) or our defense, that has had issues containing QBs, holds Murray to just 21 yards rushing due to great edge containment and pocket pressure and yet there is only one real topic that gets responded to all the time.

Honestly it's just weird. It's just weird to devote so much attention and conversation to an aspect of a game that didn't have all that much impact on the game.

This game was about defense, our rushing offense keeping ahead of the chains and ST's. And yet all the conversation is about is how good of a job we did getting players lined up while still burning 6 TO's and a, near game ruining, delay of game to do so.

it's just weird.
Don’t get bummed so easy man, that’s what weird. Scott wrote out a great list of his thoughts, I said I agreed with many of them...and then pointed out that I especially agree with the point about QB play...bc that is what I have been saying for 7 pages of this thread now. No reason whatsoever for my post to bum you.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
30 Oct 2021 08:31
YoHoChecko wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Everyday King is on the roster it is a reminder that if you suck at your job and $%@# up royally you will get another chance and a raise while you’re at it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.