Charles Woodson and the Lambeau Field Ring of Glory

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2021 09:26
Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2021 08:56
I would say Rodgers certainly meets ANY criteria that would make sense to be put forth, I would say probably Woodson too but I think Salmar gives a reasonable explanation for why he could be left off.

In general though I agree the standard should be extemely tough. We are not the Jags or Texans with no history. Even if back when we had less history, and added guys that may not make it today...we should not let guys like them in today just because of precedent. The standard should get tougher due to less space.

Also, TT should be in the ring. Glad he is.
Salmars reason doesn't make sense, ( no offense Salmar) where not stealing any other teams Glory, both White and Woodson played there very best with us.

and what is your reasoning for putting Thompsons name on the facade, what did Ted do to deserve it? compared to a guy like Ron Wolf he lacks pedigree, his greatest claim to fame was deciding to take Rodgers and about 5 or 6 quality draft classes, thats about all I can think of, please inform me of stuff he did that I'am over looking.
I didn't get to watch Reggie White while he was with the Eagles, but his stats with that team are utterly bonkers. You saying "he played his best years with us" IS EXACTLY the kind of stealing of a player and his legacy I'm talking about.

I don't mind White being on the Ring. I wouldn't mind Woodson making it there. But I'll personally remember them as great NFL players, not just great Packers players.
_
image.png
image.png (79.32 KiB) Viewed 614 times

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:12
Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2021 09:43
Yoop wrote:
his greatest claim to fame was deciding to take Rodger
that sort of pick defines a mans career. I dont agree thats all he did, but if it was...that should do it!
why, he didn't do anything except make the pick, Wolf traded a first to get a QB nobody wanted, this isn't about Ted not being a good GM, it's that Wolf was a icon :lol: go look up his history.
Nobody drafts Rodgers = nobody #1 - #23 also didn't want him. Also nobody wanted to trade up to spot #24 to take him.

Mind blown.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:13
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
I would say Rodgers certainly meets ANY criteria that would make sense to be put forth, I would say probably Woodson too but I think Salmar gives a reasonable explanation for why he could be left off.

In general though I agree the standard should be extemely tough. We are not the Jags or Texans with no history. Even if back when we had less history, and added guys that may not make it today...we should not let guys like them in today just because of precedent. The standard should get tougher due to less space.

Salmars reason doesn't make sense, ( no offense Salmar) where not stealing any other teams Glory, both White and Woodson played there very best with us.

and what is your reasoning for putting Thompsons name on the facade, what did Ted do to deserve it? compared to a guy like Ron Wolf he lacks pedigree, his greatest claim to fame was deciding to take Rodgers and about 5 or 6 quality draft classes, thats about all I can think of, please inform me of stuff he did that I'am over looking.
I didn't get to watch Reggie White while he was with the Eagles, but his stats with that team are utterly bonkers. You saying "he played his best years with us" IS EXACTLY the kind of stealing of a player and his legacy I'm talking about.

I don't mind White being on the Ring. I wouldn't mind Woodson making it there. But I'll personally remember them as great NFL players, not just great Packers players.
_

image.png
Agreed. Reggie White in Philly was absolutely insane and superior to what he did in GB. That Philly defensive line was sick.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
that sort of pick defines a mans career. I dont agree thats all he did, but if it was...that should do it!
why, he didn't do anything except make the pick, Wolf traded a first to get a QB nobody wanted, this isn't about Ted not being a good GM, it's that Wolf was a icon :lol: go look up his history.
where did i discredit Ron Wolf? He was awesome too. I just defended Ted because you took a doo doo on him.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

_

image.png
your right, Reggie had a stellar career with Philly, I think I was right about Woodson though, besides there on field ability I think both belong on our facade for personal reasons as well, both where/are gentleman and supported both the Packers and the NFL, and imho the best at there positions for most of there careers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
With that reasoning, then Jack Vainisi should be up there as well. Do you people realize who Jack Vainisi was instrumental in bringing to Green Bay? 8 Pro Football Hall of Famers. Wolf has 2 so far. TT has 0 so far. This thread is not about retired numbers either. Oh, if you're worried about space there's nothing preventing anybody from changing the font size or decreasing the spacing distance between the names. Go Pack Go!
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 02 Nov 2021 07:20, edited 2 times in total.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
01 Nov 2021 19:21
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

With that reasoning, then Jack Vainisi should be up there as well. Do you people realize who Jack Vainisi was instrumental in bringing to Green Bay?
Lombardi? If so..why not..bring the father of modern football scouting on in!
Last edited by Drj820 on 01 Nov 2021 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

With that reasoning, then Jack Vainisi should be up there as well. Do you people realize who Jack Vainisi was instrumental in bringing to Green Bay?
Did you really just ask this to a person who has Jack Vainisi in his profile picture? :lol:
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2021 19:23
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Did you really just ask this to a person who has Jack Vainisi in his profile picture? :lol:
No. :argue:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:20
salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

_

image.png
your right, Reggie had a stellar career with Philly, I think I was right about Woodson though, besides there on field ability I think both belong on our facade for personal reasons as well, both where/are gentleman and supported both the Packers and the NFL, and imho the best at there positions for most of there careers.
White and Woodson both won Defensive Player of the Year honors while playing for the Green Bay Packers. This is top of the tier performance for a defensive player.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

_

image.png
21 sacks in 12 games good golly

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lake shark wrote:
01 Nov 2021 20:25
salmar80 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

_

image.png
21 sacks in 12 games good golly
3 sacks on the biggest stage ... Super Bowl 31.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

IMO, Charles Woodson should be on the ring of honor. DPoY and Charles had 9 pick sixes with the Pack.

Yes, no doubt.
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Foosball wrote:
01 Nov 2021 23:16
IMO, Charles Woodson should be on the ring of honor. DPoY and Charles had 9 pick sixes with the Pack.

Yes, no doubt.
Plus just the fact that he was our emotional leader.

He was like Mercedes Lewis who actually talked a lot, played a lot and made plays a lot.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2021 19:23
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Lombardi? If so..why not..bring the father of modern football scouting on in!
Vince and 7 others.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Has anyone written notes to either Mark Murphy or the WI newspapers asking what is going on with respect to putting Charles Woodson's name up on the inner sanctum facade?
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Nov 2021 03:05, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

From what I can tell ... Charles Woodson's Lambeau Field Inner Sanctum Hall of Fame ceremony will occur on November 28th when we play the Rams in a Gold Package game.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
15 Nov 2021 14:35
From what I can tell ... Charles Woodson's Lambeau Field Inner Sanctum Hall of Fame ceremony will occur on November 28th when we play the Rams in a Gold Package game.
As previously reported .....

Hey, next man up is Leroy Butler.

Go Packers

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2021 08:37
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Nov 2021 07:19
Cdragon wrote:
01 Nov 2021 06:57
I have no problem adding his name to the ring. But you can't just keep retiring numbers, a team with a lot of worthy players like the Pack are going to run out. Certainly AR's number should be retired. I think they have to implement lifetime plus 10 years for number retirements minimum time 25 years. We can reintroduce numbers in a ceremony and give fans who have no connection to a distant past player a chance to connect to the player from long ago.
If Paul Hornung's number was never retired, why should AR's or for that matter Woodson's? Or anyone else's? You are 100% correct, with a roster in the 80's including IR and PS, there is not room to have so many retired. Hudson, Starr, Nitschke and White, that is enough for permanent retirements. If you want a 5 year after leaving the game retirement of the number, that would be OK, they can work around that.
because Hornungs accomplishments pale compared to Rodgers, the only person that wanted his # retired was Vince, and if there is a lack of room on the facade to add Rodgers name to it then Hornungs should be removed, or Thompsons, don't know why he was put up there either.

to answer your question Ringo, yes Woodsons name should be on the facade.

to my knowledge we've only retired 6 numbers, Rodgers will make 7.
Excuse me, but exactly what makes Rodgers so great? 1 SB win, no other appearances? Several NFC championships when he laid an egg? You might take a look at just what Hornung was, the all time scoring leader for the first 12 games of a season (and the 2 TD passes he threw did not count in that stat). League scoring leader 3 years in a row. Hell, he even ran back kickoffs. The only thing he was not particularly good at was kicking field goals but in a roster of 40 or less, not having a dedicated kicker mattered.

How many rings did Hornung get? How many does AR have? In the year that Hounung did not play did the Packers win the championship? No, they did not. The only stat that matters is championships. Case closed.