Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Who are we trying to get?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -deadline/
Packers coach Matt LaFleur says his team is interested in adding to the roster before tomorrow’s trade deadline.

LaFleur told reporters today that General Manager Brian Gutekunst and the personnel staff are hard at work seeing if they can make a trade work.

“If the right opportunity presents itself, I think that’s something that we could be involved with,” LaFleur said. “I know Gutey and his staff are working extremely hard at trying to find something. It’s just whether or not the right opportunity exists.”

LaFleur didn’t say anything about specific positions he’d like to address or players he’d like to add, but after the Rams traded for Von Miller today, it’s clear that there are other NFC contenders gearing up for a competitive playoff race. And the Packers don’t want to be left out.
OBJ?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

texas wrote:
01 Nov 2021 22:06

Packers coach Matt LaFleur says his team is interested in adding to the roster before tomorrow’s trade deadline.

LaFleur told reporters today that General Manager Brian Gutekunst and the personnel staff are hard at work seeing if they can make a trade work.

“If the right opportunity presents itself, I think that’s something that we could be involved with,” LaFleur said. “I know Gutey and his staff are working extremely hard at trying to find something. It’s just whether or not the right opportunity exists.”

LaFleur didn’t say anything about specific positions he’d like to address or players he’d like to add, but after the Rams traded for Von Miller today, it’s clear that there are other NFC contenders gearing up for a competitive playoff race. And the Packers don’t want to be left out.
OBJ?
I doubt Cleveland is in sell-off mode just yet. Besides, with his $14.5 mil base salary, even his prorated salary would be too much in terms of cap availability.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2021 22:33
texas wrote:

OBJ?
I doubt Cleveland is in sell-off mode just yet. Besides, with his $14.5 mil base salary, even his prorated salary would be too much in terms of cap availability.
I don't think they're in sell-off mode, I just think that OBJ doesn't fit there at all and they haven't really been using him. But the salary thing is an issue for sure.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
01 Nov 2021 21:38

Seriously though, you all forgot the Bucs were actually good from 1979-1981...and then went back to sucking when they pissed off Doug Williams.
Can't forget if I never knew or bother to know in the first place. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I just want a viable receiving threat at TE, if Guty trades for anybody today.

Could he trade Kevin King for a young, unproven TE?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Raptorman wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:33
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Nov 2021 10:19
The idea that wining many games is meaningless if you never win the big one is crazy. There were a good number of teams and great players over the years who never won the big one. There never was a Super Bowl or championship game over most of the history of the NFL. Were all of those games meaningless too?
Unless you are talking about the Vikings. Then it matters. Remember, New England as a team wasn't above the .500 mark until the year 2006. (at the end of the 2005 season their record was 338 345 9) Yet now many consider them a fantastic franchise totally forgetting that for their first 33 years they made the playoffs 6 times.
Use the Vikes as an example, since you mentioned them and LOVE them.
:-)

Grant, Tarkenton, Eller, Page, and so many of their team have been exceptional players and coaches.They LOST the Super Bowl more than once. Does that mean all of their success is marginalized? No. It just means that they fell short. And that is what most players and coaches do, they fall short almost every year, or never with the SB at all. Too many HOF careers that worked so hard and played amazing football over the years.

I personally don't care about the Pats before Brady/Belicheck. They got to the SB with Parcells and a lesser QB. But that was a very good team and a successful one too, until they met Favre/White/etc.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If the Packers can't score more than 24 then we better trade for some better defense.

If the Packers can't score more than 24 then we better trade for some better offense.

:rotf:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Not that I give it much credence, ESPN NFL power rankings have their top five spots filled with NFC teams this week. Packers, Cardinals, Rams, Bucs, Cowboys.

I’d personally slide Buffalo in at 4th but, that aside, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one conference so dominant in top tier teams.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Bills - losses to Steelers and Titans
Titans - losses to Cardinals and Jets
Bengals - losses to Bears, Packers and Jets
Ravens - losses to Bengals and Raiders
Raiders - losses to Chargers to Bears

Looks like most of the AFC's top teams have losses to NFC opponents which is helping to explain the record gap.
Last edited by go pak go on 02 Nov 2021 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
02 Nov 2021 07:13
Not that I give it much credence, ESPN NFL power rankings have their top five spots filled with NFC teams this week. Packers, Cardinals, Rams, Bucs, Cowboys.

I’d personally slide Buffalo in at 4th but, that aside, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one conference so dominant in top tier teams.
Buffalo is a AFC team :dunno: :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Nov 2021 07:23
APB wrote:

read it again
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2021 07:24
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

read it again
ya beat me to it :hide:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im skeptical we are trying to make a "splash" move before the deadline. A splash move would mean giving up something more than like a 6 or 7. We just havent seen that done midseason in such a long time that I am skeptical. I have a theory that the FO will always say they are trying, and get the word out to reporters who will disseminate the message to try and playcate the fans.

Gutey has done a good job signing or giving peanuts for guys that can help up this year, I still havent seen the willingness to pony up for a Von Miller type to bolster our pass rush with the uncertainty surrounding Z.

I do not want OBJ, not at all. I think he is injury prone, and after all the injuries..he simply stinks now. Plus I think he got so wealthy that he sort of stopped caring about football.

I would like to make a mid level splash play for a pass catching TE, I have mentioned Geisecki as a possibility. I think he could be VERY good with an actualy QB in an actual offensive system.

Other options could be a Brandin Cooks type at WR and then start moving Lazard around more including some on the interior. Not sure what Cooks salary looks like, but I think there are some options out there if the team REALLY wants to make this "last dance" style push for the SB.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
02 Nov 2021 07:27
go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2021 07:24
Yoop wrote:

read it again
ya beat me to it :hide:
:lol: :oops:

Yoop, you’ve been warned about posting before that second cup of morning coffee..l ;)

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:04
Other options could be a Brandin Cooks type at WR and then start moving Lazard around more including some on the interior. Not sure what Cooks salary looks like, but I think there are some options out there if the team REALLY wants to make this "last dance" style push for the SB.
He carries a $2.5 mil base salary this year. From a cap standpoint, he’s a feasible option. I’m just not as high on him as some of you seem to be.

Now, if he were to be cut and available for zero trade compensation? I could get on board with that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

texas wrote:

OBJ?
I’d say close to zero chance of OBJ, as much as I love him as a football player. Bit of a turd and poor availability issues.

Nice watch here. Kyle Rudolph could really be a nice add.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:10
Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:04
He carries a $2.5 mil base salary this year. From a cap standpoint, he’s a feasible option. I’m just not as high on him as some of you seem to be.

Now, if he were to be cut and available for zero trade compensation? I could get on board with that.
Im honestly not THAT high on him...but I do think he would help. I mean we dont know if MVS hammy is going to linger, it would give us flexibility about what to do with Lazard, and he is a good player imo..just caught in a dumpster fire right now with no QB.

I wouldnt consider it a game changer, but I think if you are trying to make a final push for the SB and load up for the stretch run with assets that will help..I think he is in that category.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean, what WR is going to come in, learn the playbook well enough and gain Aaron's trust, at a cheap enough salary, who would clearly force Adams, MVS, Lazard or Cobb to the bench for significant enough reps to be worth the risk?

I think it does have to come down to RB depth, TE, DE, KR/PR.

Possible outside shot of ILB, Barnes hasn't been looking good and Jaylon Smith was just a health scratch.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:28
I mean, what WR is going to come in, learn the playbook well enough and gain Aaron's trust, at a cheap enough salary, who would clearly force Adams, MVS, Lazard or Cobb to the bench for significant enough reps to be worth the risk?

Possible outside shot of ILB, Barnes hasn't been looking good and Jaylon Smith was just a health scratch.
I think a gadget WR/RB/KR that you could use on offense instead of Amari would be something to look at it, but otherwise, yes, I agree with you when it comes to a true WR.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:34
BF004 wrote:
02 Nov 2021 08:28

I think a gadget WR/RB/KR that you could use on offense instead of Amari would be something to look at it, but otherwise, yes, I agree with you when it comes to a true WR.
When we talk about "earning aarons trust" is it usually veterans who have been successful playing in the league for a while, or is it unproven young guys who take forever to earn it? Not sure there have been many examples of older guys he just refuses to throw to.

Im not saying we need to make a move for a WR, just thought about that as I hear the narrative about his trust alot.