Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Nov 2021 10:56
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Nov 2021 10:51
I've been busy work this week.

Apparently Rodgers has COVID. Did you guys already talk about this?

:hide:
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=69883#p69883
_

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 Nov 2021 10:51
I've been busy working this week.

Apparently Rodgers has COVID. Did you guys already talk about this?

:hide:
What? Rodgers has Covid?!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Nov 2021 10:36
Wow, Florio is a petty !@#$.

Blocks Benkert and posts it and takes a dig at him for not taking NFL snaps. This after screwing up his last hit piece article on the Packers QB situation and Benkert calls him out.

Stupid to even care, but Kurt’s response had about 4x likes as Florio’s.

The thread that started it. It's glorious.

The block thread:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:rotf:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Raiders had two 1st rounders in 2020. Mike Mayock sure knew how to pick 'em. CB David Arnette, who has been a bust anyways, now in legal trouble...

https://deadspin.com/raiders-problems-p ... 1848010773

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Aren’t they ready to dump Clelin Ferrell already too. Like top 5 pick on 2019?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
07 Nov 2021 05:50
Yes

I remember articles being brought in by a certain poster in 2019 complaining about Gary "riding the pine" and how all the other pass rushers were great but we all could blatantly see that Gary was a bust from Michigan since he didn't produce.

This is a classic, classic example of not judging something too early. It is why we must view draft picks in a 3 or 4 year period.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

BF004 wrote:
Mayock had a whopping five 1st rounders in his first two seasons. Ferrell's been a bust and was a 4th overall pick, RB Josh Jacobs was good early but has averaged under 4 yds/carry the last two seasons (you do NOT want that if you use a 1st rounder on a RB), S Johnathan Abram has been OK not great (we chose wisely with Savage), Ruggs will be in prison, CB Arnette has been disappointing on the field and apparently has a hit-and-run under his belt.

Wouldn't call that mock draft excellence turning into real life draft excellence.

He did hit on late 2019 picks Maxx Crosby, Foster Moreau and Hunter Renfrow.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2021 05:51
BF004 wrote:
Yes

I remember articles being brought in by a certain poster in 2019 complaining about Gary "riding the pine" and how all the other pass rushers were great but we all could blatantly see that Gary was a bust from Michigan since he didn't produce.

This is a classic, classic example of not judging something too early. It is why we must view draft picks in a 3 or 4 year period.
who was this certain poster? anyway I didn't think Ferrell was a top ten pick then, along with Gary, in fact any player that is picked that high and takes 3 years to play up to such a high selection (except QB's) is not a wise choice, you've paid out 2/3rds of his rookie contract prior to his proven he's worth resigning, and if he does well those last couple seasons ya might not b e able to afford his contract demands anyway, imo the top 15 or so picks should be starting at some point as a rookie, like Stokes, or Alexander, or Savage, Gary obviously isn't a bust, but he's no great draft pick either when ya consider slot taken and time it's taken for him to play well.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Almost every high pick Mayock had made was massively over rated according to my board.

I think he’s been one of the worst GMs of the past decade. Maybe even 2. It’s hard to find someone who has done as much dumb &%$@ as he is. The Ferrell pick was crazy to me. Then he took Ruggs which I get with the speed I guess but I would have rather taken Jefferson, Jeudy, or Lamb over him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Nov 2021 08:53
Almost every high pick Mayock had made was massively over rated according to my board.

I think he’s been one of the worst GMs of the past decade. Maybe even 2. It’s hard to find someone who has done as much dumb &%$@ as he is. The Ferrell pick was crazy to me. Then he took Ruggs which I get with the speed I guess but I would have rather taken Jefferson, Jeudy, or Lamb over him.
I wasn’t a huge Ruggs guy that year, but he did better on the field than I was anticipating. Drinking and driving doesn’t necessarily make you a turd per se, horrible decision with about worst imaginable consequences. But don’t think he was ever a bad intentioned guy. Not to the point where character flaws really should have been effecting draft stock. So not gunna ding Mayock for that one.

But Ferrell, Josh Jacobs, Abram, Ruggs, Arnette, Leatherwood.

Too early to judge a tackle, but sounds like Leatherwood has been atrocious so far. I seem to remember Abram getting a lot of flack too.

One decent pick in Jacobs, who is possibly at the least important starting 22 position in football and likely already only has 2-3 years of decent football left already.

Not looking good in Vegas. Feel for Carr and all the crap he’s had to endure there.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Nov 2021 08:53

Matt Millen will fight him for the first decade of this century. :thwap:

His eight-year tenure as head of the franchise led to the worst eight-year record in the history of the modern NFL (31–84, a . 270 winning percentage), and resulted in his termination on September 24, 2008. Millen assembled the personnel and coaching staff of the 2008 Lions, which became the first team to go 0–16.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 Nov 2021 08:17
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Yes

who was this certain poster? anyway I didn't think Ferrell was a top ten pick then, along with Gary, in fact any player that is picked that high and takes 3 years to play up to such a high selection (except QB's) is not a wise choice, you've paid out 2/3rds of his rookie contract prior to his proven he's worth resigning, and if he does well those last couple seasons ya might not b e able to afford his contract demands anyway, imo the top 15 or so picks should be starting at some point as a rookie, like Stokes, or Alexander, or Savage, Gary obviously isn't a bust, but he's no great draft pick either when ya consider slot taken and time it's taken for him to play well.
Obviously that's the GOAL, GOAL right? Get a player who has immediate impact and then stays that way? But those are the elite of the elite picks and honestly very rare. Like Stokes and Alexander are AMAZING draft picks.

I mean under your criteria, of 1st rounders needing to have immediate starting impact, you would say that Kenny Clark, Jordy Nelson and Rashan Gary are bad picks but Damarious Randall was a great pick because he provided production as a starter. And even looked good doing so in 2015.

Whereas I am of the firm belief of just get good players. If you have a great player, you will find a way to keep him. Period.

See what I actually think is more harmful is getting a guy who produces ridiculously on the rookie contract, signs a NFL highest 2nd contract and then the production drops.

Take Clay Matthews or Randall Cobb for instance. Great rookie contract players. Not worth their 2nd contracts and fans got mad about it because our cap is being allocated on past performance and name.

You will always have to have high end contracts. The key is those high end contracts produce. That's far more important than putting the stress on your rookie contract folks to produce. It's a bonus when they do and I welcome it when it happens, but it isn't the full judgement of a player.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Fox pregame just did this stupid sitcom-ish sketch comedy featuring guys at a mid-season reunion as NFL teams focusing on the Packers, Rams, and eventually the Saints... but they just trashed the Lions so hard and it was kinda dumb, but I loved it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I hate Russell Wilson and I hate everything Seahawks.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 12:21
I hate Russell Wilson and I hate everything Seahawks.
Need him to suck this week and then kick a$$ in two weeks.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2021 10:16
Yoop wrote:
07 Nov 2021 08:17
go pak go wrote:

Yes

Obviously that's the GOAL, GOAL right? Get a player who has immediate impact and then stays that way? But those are the elite of the elite picks and honestly very rare. Like Stokes and Alexander are AMAZING draft picks.

I mean under your criteria, of 1st rounders needing to have immediate starting impact, you would say that Kenny Clark, Jordy Nelson and Rashan Gary are bad picks but Damarious Randall was a great pick because he provided production as a starter. And even looked good doing so in 2015.

Whereas I am of the firm belief of just get good players. If you have a great player, you will find a way to keep him. Period.

See what I actually think is more harmful is getting a guy who produces ridiculously on the rookie contract, signs a NFL highest 2nd contract and then the production drops.

Take Clay Matthews or Randall Cobb for instance. Great rookie contract players. Not worth their 2nd contracts and fans got mad about it because our cap is being allocated on past performance and name.

You will always have to have high end contracts. The key is those high end contracts produce. That's far more important than putting the stress on your rookie contract folks to produce. It's a bonus when they do and I welcome it when it happens, but it isn't the full judgement of a player.
bviously that's the GOAL, GOAL right? Get a player who has immediate impact and then stays that way? But those are the elite of the elite picks and honestly very rare. Like Stokes and Alexander are AMAZING draft picks.

this is sooooo wrong, 1st rounders start every season and there not elite, they simply are better the existing players and many of them perform well as rookies, what happens there second season is often dependent on scheme fit, which probably had some to do with Randals decline later, his 2nd season he was the best CB we had

people ragged on Dix, yet he was also better then Hyde and our other safety's, his decline seemed personal, and he gave up, but that doesn't mean he wasn't good as a rookie, I could go on and on, but why bother you wont agree anyway.

same with your comments with Mathews and Cobb, both where excellent re signs, injury's led to there decline.

ya want to know what a bad resign is, it's when a high pick like Nick Perry never impresses till his contract season and you give him a contract as though he played well prior, and Nick really hadn't.

some positions are harder to do well as rookies, your so smart you should know that ( I expect you do, but it screws up your argument) DL is such a position, same with 3 dn lber, same with QB same with TE, these are reality's smart football people know., so much for your comparison of Clark a DL to Nelson, Gary, and Cobb, McCarthy held back WR's and Gary needed a ton of tech work, this idea that rookies don't play well is H S and used to make excuses for players that under perform, heard it a million times.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Las Vegas Raiders dumpster fire is becoming one of historic proportions.

I can only imagine if [mention]Yoop[/mention] with his expectations of 1st round picks was a Raiders fan. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 13:22

I can only imagine if @Yoop with his expectations of 1st round picks was a Raiders fan. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sounds like he was another peach of a human being. Flashing guns and threatening to kill people on video. Crashed 4 rental cars during his first year in the league.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 13:43
salmar80 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 13:22

I can only imagine if @Yoop with his expectations of 1st round picks was a Raiders fan. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sounds like he was another peach of a human being. Flashing guns and threatening to kill people on video. Crashed 4 rental cars during his first year in the league.
apparently it was 4 rentals in a MONTH! Dude.
RIP JustJeff