OBJ prioritizes Packers as Number 1 destination

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 08:25
Drj820 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 07:21
Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 07:08

what personal says we should run more then pass, and I've never heard Lafluer say that.

fans always think we should keep running when they see the RB get 5 yrds or more, but fans actually have to wait on PFF to tell them how well the blocking was, coaches know whats going on, can read when a defense is scheming to stop it, they usually get that stuff right, it just doesn't look like it from the cheap seats ( our bark a lounger) :lol:
seriously now, pay attention to yrds after contact, our RB's probably top that list, that translates to not so good of run blocking.
well i would say resigning a RB to a second contract, drafting another in the 2nd round, as well as in the 7th round, keeping a traditional FB style player on the roster in Dafney, resigning Big Dog, having an OL with a 2 second rounders, and the highest paid LT in football...all point to personnel built to run the ball.

Especially when you compare that to the resources we have put into pass catchers. We have a HOF second round receiver, who we still havent extended. Then a 3rd round rookie who is off to a slow start, a 5th rounder, and some UDFAs.

Our personnel is built to SMASH
no team runs more then they pass, every team including us wants to establish the run so that it's easier to pass, and also to control the clock and TOP, and to bleed it when they have a lead, thing is big chunk plays still is the easiest way to win, it's super tough to use multiple plays and remain mistake free, typically there is a mis cue and you end up turning the ball over because you failed to move the chains.
everyone wishes we could succeed running, and play stellar defense, problem is that route is rarely successful, only a few teams have succeeded doing that, it sounds great, we resigned Jones because he is very good both as a receiver and runner, and took Dillon in round two because they are great weapons, and maybe ( I doubt this very much) once Love is starting we'll run more then pass, but that wont happen as long as Rodgers is the starter.
no one runs more then they pass though as you can see from this link, Bears come close at 49% and thats probaly due to having a rookie starting.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html
Look at our personnel, do we not seem to have put our resources into building a successful run game?

Also, the term "being a run first team" does NOT mean you run more than you pass. It means you consistently lead with the run, to open up the pass. And in short yardage situations, you are more prone to rely on the run.

It does not mean you throw five times a game.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I wouldn't really get New Orleans because they are not a Super Bowl contender this year.

KC and GB make the most sense.

I'm still banking on the Rams making it work somehow.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
10 Nov 2021 08:33
go pak go wrote:
09 Nov 2021 17:15
bud fox wrote:
09 Nov 2021 16:38
This could be it - omg omg omg
I hope to be celebrating with ya tomorrow.

Don't know why Odell wouldn't choose us. But ultimately it will be up to him and what he wants.
Why not us? We have AR and this is his chance to chase a ring. If he wants to be the top dog then he can go to NE...
I believe I laid out quite nicely the Pro's and Con's of GB from Odell's perspective in this thread.

One thing I think fans greatly overstate is a player's "desire" to chase a ring over all else and also the likelihood their favorite team is the favorite to get said ring.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 08:58
Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 08:25
Drj820 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 07:21

well i would say resigning a RB to a second contract, drafting another in the 2nd round, as well as in the 7th round, keeping a traditional FB style player on the roster in Dafney, resigning Big Dog, having an OL with a 2 second rounders, and the highest paid LT in football...all point to personnel built to run the ball.

Especially when you compare that to the resources we have put into pass catchers. We have a HOF second round receiver, who we still havent extended. Then a 3rd round rookie who is off to a slow start, a 5th rounder, and some UDFAs.

Our personnel is built to SMASH
no team runs more then they pass, every team including us wants to establish the run so that it's easier to pass, and also to control the clock and TOP, and to bleed it when they have a lead, thing is big chunk plays still is the easiest way to win, it's super tough to use multiple plays and remain mistake free, typically there is a mis cue and you end up turning the ball over because you failed to move the chains.
everyone wishes we could succeed running, and play stellar defense, problem is that route is rarely successful, only a few teams have succeeded doing that, it sounds great, we resigned Jones because he is very good both as a receiver and runner, and took Dillon in round two because they are great weapons, and maybe ( I doubt this very much) once Love is starting we'll run more then pass, but that wont happen as long as Rodgers is the starter.
no one runs more then they pass though as you can see from this link, Bears come close at 49% and thats probaly due to having a rookie starting.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/play-selection.html
Look at our personnel, do we not seem to have put our resources into building a successful run game?

Also, the term "being a run first team" does NOT mean you run more than you pass. It means you consistently lead with the run, to open up the pass. And in short yardage situations, you are more prone to rely on the run.

It does not mean you throw five times a game.
agreed, I'am just pointing out the improbability that we will ever run more then we pass, obviously we will try to establish the run, but that doesn't always mean we'll stick with it, ya have to do what the opposing defense has trouble stopping, which with Rodgers is usually the pass, as Lafluer and other coaches attest, ya run to set up big chunk pass plays, cause big chunk plays win games, again, as I said, very few teams are able to win without them, sounds great to be smash mouth efficient, problem is it's so hard to succeed doing it. but I agree, I want to do very well at it too, not only does it help Rodgers, but it's help Love a lot when he starts :aok:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The people that are against OBJ coming to the Packers are as rabid as Lupe was that Lazard sucks. :lol:

In any case its either guaranteed Super Bowl or OBJ is a cancer that will kill this team. As usual, no perspective that it would almost certainly land somewhere in that thin slice(99.9%) in between those 2 things.

I, for 1, am still in favor of it. Is he necessary to our run? Nope. Can he help? Yep. What if he doesn't help? Cut him.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sign him for $1 million or less. The problem being it looks like he is trying to maximize his money and we can't compete in that department.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 09:49
Sign him for $1 million or less. The problem being it looks like he is trying to maximize his money and we can't compete in that department.
We've actually got more space than the Chiefs or the Saints. He's not getting a lot of money from any of these 3 teams he's supposedly narrowed it down to.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
10 Nov 2021 09:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
We've actually got more space than the Chiefs or the Saints. He's not getting a lot of money from any of these 3 teams he's supposedly narrowed it down to.
Very true. Wonder if that is actually the case then. What happened to the Patriots.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:02
paco wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Very true. Wonder if that is actually the case then. What happened to the Patriots.
:idn:
They seem to have dropped off the latest rumor tweets I've seen. Guessing he's not getting the offers for better money and is deciding between the 3 potentially best situations for success. Arguments for all 3.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 06:46
Our offense is very average right now. We are a 350 yards per game offense who puts up 22 - 26 points. 27 points plus has been more the exception than the rule.
I'd be interested in seeing points per drive data or yards per play. MLF has made a point of slowing things down on offense and that typically results in less plays and fewer drives. If they're being more efficient than other teams with their opportunities, then I wouldn't consider them "average".

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:17
go pak go wrote:
Our offense is very average right now. We are a 350 yards per game offense who puts up 22 - 26 points. 27 points plus has been more the exception than the rule.
I'd be interested in seeing points per drive data or yards per play. MLF has made a point of slowing things down on offense and that typically results in less plays and fewer drives. If they're being more efficient than other teams with their opportunities, then I wouldn't consider them "average".
We are more efficient yes. I think we are the most efficient team per drive coming into KC.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
We've got more cap space than both those teams...combined. And still we don't have a lot.

If that tweet about him narrowing his choices to those three teams is true, it ain't about the money.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I do hope it's not about the money...

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:19
APB wrote:
go pak go wrote:
We are more efficient yes. I think we are the most efficient team per drive coming into KC.
Would you then still frame the Packers offense as "average"?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

As it should be. If it happens, it happens.
RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Damn, I actually can't believe we're even making an offer!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

salmar80 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:23
I do hope it's not about the money...

The other teams under supposed consideration have ~$1.5m (Saints) and ~$2.5m (Chiefs) in 2021 cap space available respectively. Offer $2.6 mil and call it a day. $2.6 mil is chump change by todays cap standard.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:24
go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 10:19
APB wrote:

Would you then still frame the Packers offense as "average"?
I mean production wise we are a 20's ranked offense.

So yes I included the efficiency to put us in that 12th to 16th range in my mind which is average.

I don't think we are average when we get our horses back. But we are right now. And the results have shown that. We are a 22 - 24 point team from October till now. In this league now, I would call that average.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

vet min is low key disrespectful if your gonna make an offer at all. I would go about a million over that just to show you really tried and care. we are still only talking about 1.5-1.8 million.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23