OBJ prioritizes Packers as Number 1 destination

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

So, it is set at $1.5 million. Anything signed at or below that and we agree to lose our minds!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

2 million for half of a season is my limit. Not sure i would gurantee all 2 million though. Odell is always hurt. I think it is 50/50 at best whether he is available for the playoffs for whatever team he signs with.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Oh &%$@, this might actually happen... :o
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:00
So, it is set at $1.5 million. Anything signed at or below that and we agree to lose our minds!
Clearly based on posts here I am considering far more factors in our remaining cap space than others.

So my number is likely lower than others. I just think $2 million or more really puts the Packers cap under stress and could very well end up going over the cap prior to the new league year. We have seen it before. And the result is loss of draft picks.

We already have seen so many injuries this year. Having less than $2.5 million with no ability to restructure anyone to free cap space if necessary is really dangerous.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:05
Oh &%$@, this might actually happen... :o
NFLN went through possible teams and it seems like nearly everyone is at or near the minimum for salary.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:06
Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:00
Clearly based on posts here I am considering far more factors in our remaining cap space than others.

So my number is likely lower than others. I just think $2 million or more really puts the Packers cap under stress and could very well end up going over the cap prior to the new league year. We have seen it before. And the result is loss of draft picks.

We already have seen so many injuries this year. Having less than $2.5 million with no ability to restructure anyone to free cap space if necessary is really dangerous.
Ok, we will set it at $2 million then!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So is this true or no?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

:lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:15
So is this true or no?

I'm confused by offset language. I get it, but I haven't seen this point made like it was for Jaylon Smith. There was also something about not seeking termination pay from the Browns, whatever that would have been.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah all of these contract things we just don't know about unless we were to read them.

That is a part of the reason it's hard to get too much into the weeds of how much we are offering, etc.

I think the primary thing is it's up to Odell as far as what situation he wants best.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 12:52
Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 12:48
actually I think it's a snow ball affect, if a receiver like Jennings knows he's as good or better then another then he wants more then the other makes, thats the respect I think Jennings was looking for, always wished we would have payed him, just because it didn't work with Minny doesn't mean it would have happened here.
We did offer to pay him after 2011. He gambled. Turned down the offer and lost and was then stuck with MN because his value dropped after his 2012 injury.

Jennings was dumb because the Packers offered a very fair deal and he was not including the extranalities of being a Packer. He had commercials, endorsements, etc. All of that went away when he went to MN because of a less popular team and his QB was terrible so production fell.

Jennings gambled and lost. And he really lost because he also lost his relevancy. The only thing he can contribute now is when the media wants a hit piece on Aaron Rodgers.
your right we did offer about 8 mil. my point, which I failed to explain further (figuring you'd read my mind anyway :lol:) was that for only 1 more mill GJ felt respected and signed with the purple, and we had a few other high priority signings to pay out that year if I'am remembering right, Mathews, Raji. where also due.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
So is this true or no?

Why would the offset language mean no incentive to get more from his new team?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:30
BF004 wrote:
So is this true or no?

Because he gets 7.5 million the remaining of year no matter what.

Browns pay him 7.5 - whatever the new team offers. No reason for the new team to pay more.

At least that is the thought process here.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
BF004 wrote:
So is this true or no?

Browns pay him 7.5 - whatever the new team offers. No reason for the new team to pay more.

Ya, for the team I get it, but for OBJ, why wouldn't he want to add more onto that $7.5 million.

Also from what I read the Browns saved $3 million of that $7.5 million by cutting him, but that could be wrong too.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:33
BF004 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:31
Pckfn23 wrote:

Ya, for the team I get it, but for OBJ, why wouldn't he want to add more onto that $7.5 million.

Also from what I read the Browns saved $3 million of that $7.5 million by cutting him, but that could be wrong too.
Browns pay him 7.5 million less new team money + new team money = 7.5 million :idn:

(7.5 - x) + x = 7.5

Don't know the finer points, so don't care about 3 million savings or whatever. Is that how the offset works, is what we are asking.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ya, I have no idea what how this actually works. If that is the case (what OBJ makes from new team means Browns pay that much less to him), then there is absolutely no reason for any team to pay him more than league minimum. It seems weird though. I wonder if $3 million is the offset and OBJ would need more than $3 million to see a pay raise for the year...?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:44
Ya, I have no idea what how this actually works. If that is the case (what OBJ makes from new team means Browns pay that much less to him), then there is absolutely no reason for any team to pay him more than league minimum. It seems weird though. I wonder if $3 million is the offset and OBJ would need more than $3 million to see a pay raise for the year...?
That tweet seems like 4.25 is the offset and 3 million was actually given up by OBJ (maybe he agreed to give that up so he would be released). So teams would have to pay above 4.25 for him to make any additional money. Not sure many will be willing and thus minimum is just as good as any other number all the way up to 4.25. That is how I am reading that.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 13:25
go pak go wrote:
10 Nov 2021 12:52
Yoop wrote:
10 Nov 2021 12:48

actually I think it's a snow ball affect, if a receiver like Jennings knows he's as good or better then another then he wants more then the other makes, thats the respect I think Jennings was looking for, always wished we would have payed him, just because it didn't work with Minny doesn't mean it would have happened here.
We did offer to pay him after 2011. He gambled. Turned down the offer and lost and was then stuck with MN because his value dropped after his 2012 injury.

Jennings was dumb because the Packers offered a very fair deal and he was not including the extranalities of being a Packer. He had commercials, endorsements, etc. All of that went away when he went to MN because of a less popular team and his QB was terrible so production fell.

Jennings gambled and lost. And he really lost because he also lost his relevancy. The only thing he can contribute now is when the media wants a hit piece on Aaron Rodgers.
your right we did offer about 8 mil. my point, which I failed to explain further (figuring you'd read my mind anyway :lol:) was that for only 1 more mill GJ felt respected and signed with the purple, and we had a few other high priority signings to pay out that year if I'am remembering right, Mathews, Raji. where also due.
No we offered more in 2011 and then less after 2012 (which the Vikings beat) after his injury.
Yoop wrote: