6th Green Bay Packers stock sale Nov 16th $300

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Afaik the haters are wrong when they say this stock is meaningless. Every year, we have to vote on the Board of Directors, and if we actually decided to vote them down, why wouldn't there be some real ramifications? It seems like we actually do have some power.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I do wonder though how much longer Green Bay can do this.

Between 1997, 2011, and 2021, a LOT of Packers fans have shares now. And I think a lot of fans aren't willing to buy another round since they already have the certificate.

I don't hate the stock issuance. I think it's the coolest thing in sports and it's nobody's damn business on how people spend their money (as long as it's legal). Buying a stock is a choice. Paying taxes to fund a stadium (which is how all other stadiums are funded) is not a personal choice. That's what is dirty.

That being said, I think from a business standpoint this stock issuance was not well thought out. The media and promotion were almost non-existent and we don't really know what it is funding beyond new video boards. And again, every time you issue stock you are significantly decreasing the ability to raise capital in the future because fans have stock.

The Packers stock sales were wildly successful in 97, 2011, and hopefully 2021 because the Packers became such a national team. But I don't know honestly how much more it can grow.

They also have a tradition of liking to do these after winning a SB because they know fan hood will be high. I wonder if they are doing it this year because they feel fan sentiment might e lower next year with no Aaron Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That being said, I think from a business standpoint this stock issuance was not well thought out. The media and promotion were almost non-existent and we don't really know what it is funding beyond new video boards. And again, every time you issue stock you are significantly decreasing the ability to raise capital in the future because fans have stock.
100% agree, especially about the promotion. I feel it was 3 weeks ago they were asking if the could, and then we had 2 days warning that it was happening.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
17 Nov 2021 05:13

Between 1997, 2011, and 2021, a LOT of Packers fans have shares now. And I think a lot of fans aren't willing to buy another round since they already have the certificate.

I don't hate the stock issuance. I think it's the coolest thing in sports and it's nobody's damn business on how people spend their money (as long as it's legal). Buying a stock is a choice. Paying taxes to fund a stadium (which is how all other stadiums are funded) is not a personal choice. That's what is dirty.

The Packers stock sales were wildly successful in 97, 2011, and hopefully 2021 because the Packers became such a national team. But I don't know honestly how much more it can grow.

They also have a tradition of liking to do these after winning a SB because they know fan hood will be high. I wonder if they are doing it this year because they feel fan sentiment might e lower next year with no Aaron Rodgers.
according to what I read these jumbo trons have a shelf life of only 10 years or so, original cost was 29 mil. at least from what I gather.
repairs to concourse and new jumbo's is 250 mil. thats a huge jump, I agree the concourse repairs and other stadium improvements should have been explained better.

another thing to keep in mind is that Lambeau is 65 yrs old, I'd think some structural renovation is coming up in the next 20 years, as stadiums go Lambeau is no spring chicken

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

go pak go wrote:

What makes you think that people are not willing to buy more stock? I did, I know of a ton of people who did. It is a novelty item. Judging from the wait times yesterday, I would be willing to bet they killed it.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packfntk wrote:
17 Nov 2021 07:18
go pak go wrote:

What makes you think that people are not willing to buy more stock? I did, I know of a ton of people who did. It is a novelty item. Judging from the wait times yesterday, I would be willing to bet they killed it.
I mean it's obviously an assertion but it's not a ridiculous assertion.

Diminishing marginal returns/utility is involved with nearly every economic situation. This isn't any different.

Obviously you will have repeat customers and fans who will not buy a second time. It simply comes down to a math equation. Will the amount of new fans without shares and wanting shares outnumber the amount of fans who already have shares and don't want to purchase another round?

It will be interesting to watch how the rest of the stock sale goes after the first day.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:

I would give you that yes this all happened quickly. Another negative for the org is that the economy isnt exactly humming right now. With consumer confidence down, many will not justify throwing $300 at this. So not the best time to go on a fundraising endeavor. However, I am SURE the timing has to do with wanting to release it in plenty of time for Christmas. They want people to buy them for gifts, and they will get lots of sales off that.

As far as the market being saturated, there is a large untapped frontier in Europe. I am sure once the org feels they have tapped out their resources here, they will just stop resisting and start requesting to play in europe haha.

Finally, I think it is something they should try to make scarce. Maybe throw in a perk or two more. The PR has been bad from all the vocal haters saying we are "just buying a piece of paper". That didnt affect me, but it may affect a sizable number that is on the fence about buying.

But the biggest thing is that they should just limit it to "once a generation of Packer Fans". For instance, do it about every 20 years when the kids of Packers fans are finally at the age where they can have an opportunity to buy. You may be right that every 10 years makes it lose its luster because it no longer has the feel of scarcity. I was not really aware of the last sale, and like I have said in here, i was under the impression it was an extremely rare and scarce thing to be able to possess, not that i know that is not the case...maybe some of the luster is a little less. Maybe.

So I would just say I am sure they wanted to release this before christmas, they will just go to europe if they want more owners, the illusion of scarcity makes it valuable to me, and I would do it about every 20-25 years so new Packers fans have YEARS to wait and then finally get their chance.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

If they are able to open this up internationally, that will be big for future stock sales. It looked like they were working on making this one available to Canada, but I hadn't seen if that happened yet.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
17 Nov 2021 07:44
If they are able to open this up internationally, that will be big for future stock sales. It looked like they were working on making this one available to Canada, but I hadn't seen if that happened yet.
Bingo.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The continue outrage and confusion by non-Packers fans about buying "stock" is still just ridiculous. Especially moronic Vikings fans (sorry raptor). I think I've found this to be the best possible way to look at it.

It is memorabilia. Yes, somewhat pricey memorabilia (and not even that pricey). But the money for it goes to specific things that the team lays out for us before buying. If you don't like the "return" from your purchase (either the quality of the memorabilia or what the team is doing with it), don't buy it.

How many people question what happens to the money you spend on other merch? What about the $50 you spent on a Vikings shirt, or $25 you spent on a Lions hat, or the $1000 you spent on limited addition signed picture of Soldier Field? No one. You buy it because you want it and that's it.

Sorry, but a lot of the comments by people out there (though not surprising) are just despicable. Sorry, a little extra frustrated with humanity today.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
17 Nov 2021 08:45
The continue outrage and confusion by non-Packers fans about buying "stock" is still just ridiculous. Especially moronic Vikings fans (sorry raptor). I think I've found this to be the best possible way to look at it.

It is memorabilia. Yes, somewhat pricey memorabilia (and not even that pricey). But the money for it goes to specific things that the team lays out for us before buying. If you don't like the "return" from your purchase (either the quality of the memorabilia or what the team is doing with it), don't buy it.

How many people question what happens to the money you spend on other merch? What about the $50 you spent on a Vikings shirt, or $25 you spent on a Lions hat, or the $1000 you spent on limited addition signed picture of Soldier Field? No one. You buy it because you want it and that's it.

Sorry, but a lot of the comments by people out there (though not surprising) are just despicable. Sorry, a little extra frustrated with humanity today.
They hate us. Because they ain't us.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I seriously do laugh at people who would laugh at Packer fans that buy stock, most waste money on so much other stuff, many are fans of teams that have rarely ever given anything back to there fans, losing seasons year after year.

it's not cheap to have a pro football team, specially more so in a smaller market like GB, yet because of the fans we have one of the best franchises in the entire league, easily one of the best stadiums, the stock sales are a large reason for that.

Reality said the team doesn't need the fans money, he might be right, but then we probably wouldn't have the 2003 renovation, the extra 7000 seat expansion of 011, or the jumbo tron replacements and other stadium repairs that are needed, for the Packers to use reserve funds to pay for this stuff would leave there coffers near empty, thats not the way to run anything, any business that doesn't have rainy day money tend to fail, just look at inflation, I expect we'll be doing stock sales every 10 or 15 years just as we have since 97 stock sale, other wise ticket prices will sky rocket, someone has to pay for the up keep of our stadium, and raising ticket prices imho is not the answer.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Nov 2021 07:47
paco wrote:
17 Nov 2021 07:44
Bingo.
The 2011 sale was open to Canada and Europe. They sold less than 3000 shares to those markets. I would think this one is open to those same markets but not totally sure.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Stock sale is currently not available outside the US. They are seeking approval in Canada only, but do not have it yet.
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... 637582002/

It wasn't until well into the 2011 sale and only a few weeks until the end of the offering that Canada got the opportunity to purchase:
https://www.packers.com/news/packers-st ... da-6957038

2011 was only offered to US and Canada, not Europe. People in Canada bought about 2,000 shares in those 2 weeks it was offered:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/packe ... 2012-03-01

Of course Mr. Misinformation won't be able to see this.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The Packers are one of the few teams that have never played in Europe if I recall correctly. Im sure that would affect their popularity in Europe. If the org wanted to open a new frontier of potential funders, Im sure a few trips over there to show the people winning football would grow the teams popularity very quickly.

That said, I like not traveling to europe and I like there being rare opportunities to buy stock. I think it should be something fans wait years to be able to do. I know I have waited years, thats why yesterday was awesome to me.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Nov 2021 09:33
The Packers are one of the few teams that have never played in Europe if I recall correctly. Im sure that would affect their popularity in Europe. If the org wanted to open a new frontier of potential funders, Im sure a few trips over there to show the people winning football would grow the teams popularity very quickly.

That said, I like not traveling to europe and I like there being rare opportunities to buy stock. I think it should be something fans wait years to be able to do. I know I have waited years, thats why yesterday was awesome to me.
The Packers are plenty popular in Europe.

Green Bay hasn't played in Europe yet because they are too popular. The NFL and the Packers desperately want to play in London, but no team is willing to give up a Packers game state side because it's a guaranteed sell out.
Yoop wrote:

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Nov 2021 22:46
Realist wrote:
16 Nov 2021 22:01
Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2021 21:49

Im proud to directly contribute to the longevity, viability, and continued existence of the Mecca of sports in our solar system that is Lambeau field. I don’t feel taken advantage of for supporting a place I love, and I won’t apologize for being apart of the history of the Green Bay Packers.
You are definitely on the correct side of this issue. No "shut up" for you.
Oh, I'm not telling you to shut up. You are revealing so much about yourself in this thread. It's very educational. I think the Packers fans of this forum now have a much better idea of what to expect from you going forward.
If I were to donate my family's season tickets to a game at Lambeau to you could I earn ur respect? We have only two and living out of state puts me way down on the list though.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Realist wrote:
17 Nov 2021 12:32
salmar80 wrote:
16 Nov 2021 22:46
Realist wrote:
16 Nov 2021 22:01

You are definitely on the correct side of this issue. No "shut up" for you.
Oh, I'm not telling you to shut up. You are revealing so much about yourself in this thread. It's very educational. I think the Packers fans of this forum now have a much better idea of what to expect from you going forward.
If I were to donate my family's season tickets to a game at Lambeau to you could I earn ur respect? We have only two and living out of state puts me way down on the list though.
While I appreciate the attempted bribe ( ;) ), it would do little good since I'm in Finland.

Not dissing other Packers fans for the way they choose to spend their money to support the team would be an easier way. I mean, the Packers Pro Shop sells plenty of things I'll never understand any fan buying, but if they choose to, and it supports the team, I'm cool with it. For example whatever this is for $12,61 :dunno: :beer2: :
_
image.png
image.png (177.32 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Nov 2021 09:33

That's because the Packers think they are special. For the same reason, they never played AFL teams before the merger in 1970. All the other teams participated. Packers were "special".