Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Nov. 21st, NOON CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Injuries don't even phase me anymore. Like yeah, they impact our gameplan and execution, sure. But that's just what this season is now.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I recall complaining in the past because our bye week was too soon. Now it can't come soon enough... :?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2021 15:56
Injuries don't even phase me anymore. Like yeah, they impact our gameplan and execution, sure. But that's just what this season is now.
Last Sunday was the first time I was really like, "oh sh*t" (I was that way for Alexander too when we started hearing maybe out for season)

When you lose a guy like Gary and Jones where you have really no replacements for, then it starts to convert into too big to overcome. I would have felt a lot better had Kylin Hill been okay (for Jones) or had Mercilus been okay (with Gary).

But we don't have that. Our injuries are getting that ridiculous now. So I will say I am starting to get mildly concerned.

I think our team is really tired, exhausted and needs a bye; like desperately needs a bye.

And yet we arguably have the two biggest and toughest remaining games on the schedule this week and next week. Winning these two games will propel our season more than any other remaining games this season. So that kind of sucks. Wish we were more fully equipped for these games.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I want to see us pound the rock this week. Seems like we abandoned the run at times in the second half of last week's game, when it was working really well. Why have we always done that? Even going back to McCarthy?

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Captain_Ben wrote:
18 Nov 2021 16:41
I want to see us pound the rock this week. Seems like we abandoned the run at times in the second half of last week's game, when it was working really well. Why have we always done that? Even going back to McCarthy?
Yes. And I wonder if it's simply because we have Rodgers, the best thrower of the pigskin of all times, that we get away from what's working. At times it defies logic.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

I'm feeling reasonably confident about this game. Vikings are probably slightly better than their record indicates but you could say the same for the Packers as well.

Packers 24
Queens 19

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lulu wrote:
18 Nov 2021 16:57
Captain_Ben wrote:
Yes. And I wonder if it's simply because we have Rodgers, the best thrower of the pigskin of all times, that we get away from what's working. At times it defies logic.
i blamed Rodgers until a couple weeks ago when i saw us do the same exact thing with Love at QB.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Captain_Ben wrote:
I thought that a out yhe first half but not second

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Captain_Ben wrote:
Huh. I have a completely different take.

I think we tried to get big plays and pass the ball in the 1st half and it didn't work. Then in the 2nd half we started feeding AJ Dillon, including in the redzone, and the result was scored 14 points in a half which is admirable.

I didn't have an issue with last Sunday's play calling. I had an issue with the execution. And it wasn't by just one player. Multiple players screwed up whether it was poor decisions by Rodgers, poor throws by Rodgers, dropped balls by Lazard, holding calls on the Oline or poor run blocking for AJ Dillon. It was just a poor effort by the offense last week period.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Predictions for Patrick Taylor?

Wonder if they will just use him when Dillon is absolutely gassed or if they will trust him to assume the Dillon workload while Dillon takes over the Jones work load (that we saw in first quarter of season)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Nov 2021 18:58
Predictions for Patrick Taylor?

Wonder if they will just use him when Dillon is absolutely gassed or if they will trust him to assume the Dillon workload while Dillon takes over the Jones work load (that we saw in first quarter of season)
Dillon will get over 20 carriers but Taylor will see a fair share.

AJ Dillon does actually get gassed pretty easy. I would get upset that Dillon would leave the game while on a run but after watching more AJ interviews, etc. I found out it is because Dillon gets gassed pretty easy.

I expect to see some Patrick Taylor. I loved Taylor in college. Loved the idea of him during TC. Hated him during Preseason games. Loved him last week.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Olé Kork
Attachments
A671D999-885A-466B-8536-D5F38AAE909E.png
A671D999-885A-466B-8536-D5F38AAE909E.png (1.89 MiB) Viewed 353 times

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2021 17:20
Captain_Ben wrote:
Huh. I have a completely different take.

I think we tried to get big plays and pass the ball in the 1st half and it didn't work. Then in the 2nd half we started feeding AJ Dillon, including in the redzone, and the result was scored 14 points in a half which is admirable.

I didn't have an issue with last Sunday's play calling. I had an issue with the execution. And it wasn't by just one player. Multiple players screwed up whether it was poor decisions by Rodgers, poor throws by Rodgers, dropped balls by Lazard, holding calls on the Oline or poor run blocking for AJ Dillon. It was just a poor effort by the offense last week period.
What bothers me about our redzone offense is that so often on 1st down we go shotgun with empty backfield. This makes it much easier to defend and hasn't worked well. We should have QB at the line with a RB even if we do pass, use play-action. At least make the defense play for more possibilities.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

would be nice to have Alexander to match against JJ

Packers' secondary bracing to face the best of explosive Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 656101002/

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
18 Nov 2021 19:38
AJ Dillon does actually get gassed pretty easy. I would get upset that Dillon would leave the game while on a run but after watching more AJ interviews, etc. I found out it is because Dillon gets gassed pretty easy.
Are you suggesting Dillon isn't well conditioned?

AJ Dillon fights for every yard he gets and often requires the defense to gang tackle just to get him down. Hell, a good number of times the defense doesn't even get him down, they simply stop his forward progress. He's expending an enormous amount of energy every time he touches the ball fighting for every yard.

I wouldn't frame him as "easily gassed". I think it's much more accurate to frame Dillon's play as maximum effort with every opportunity. It's only natural he'd need regular breathers to continue to perform the way he does.

"Easily gassed" makes it sound, to me, like he's another Eddie Lacy. He's far from that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Nov 2021 07:25
go pak go wrote:

AJ Dillon fights for every yard he gets and often requires the defense to gang tackle just to get him down. Hell, a good number of times the defense doesn't even get him down, they simply stop his forward progress. He's expending an enormous amount of energy every time he touches the ball fighting for every yard.

I wouldn't frame him as "easily gassed". I think it's much more accurate to frame Dillon's play as maximum effort with every opportunity. It's only natural he'd need regular breathers to continue to perform the way he does.

"Easily gassed" makes it sound, to me, like he's another Eddie Lacy. He's far from that.
all people remember about Lacy is the last 2 years, at this stage of Dillon's career Lacy had rushed for close to two thousand yrds and he was like tackling a truck just as AJ is, big RB's tire quicker then littler ones, everyone can relate to that, there expending more energy due to more mass so it's under standable they would tire quicker, seems normal to me.

hopefully Patrick Taylor plays mistake free and doesn't embarrass himself giving Dillon a breather, and Maybe Rodgers and the passing game can lighten his load with some on schedule passing to move the chains and score some points.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
19 Nov 2021 07:25
go pak go wrote:

No. Actually I am not at all suggesting that Dillon isn't well conditioned.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

it just sucks so bad that Kylin Hill took that ball out from deep in his end zone and got his season ended. The team could use him now, and this could be his time to shine.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I think people are hard on Dillon in general. The guys receiving skills have been a God send, he can pass block well, and he is a monster.

I hear people say he isnt a short yardage back, is that because he doesnt convert every single time? I mean a large majority of the time he is falling forward. Most of the time he doesnt get a yard its because of a blocking breakdown and he is getting tattood in the back field. Not sure who would get first downs under those circumstances. I also wouldnt expect a back like Dillon to not need a breather every now and then. Hes a big engine, and big engines dont run on smoke.

I love AJ Dillon.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Nov 2021 07:55
it just sucks so bad that Kylin Hill took that ball out from deep in his end zone and got his season ended. The team could use him now, and this could be his time to shine.
he wasn't deep, he was about 3 yrds in, but thats besides the point, Hill needed to realize the coverage was already at the 10 yrd line, odds where terrible he'd have gotten much farther out then that, terrible decision on his part.

your right though, to bad we don't have him, next man up, Taylor looked OK last week, we need Rodgers and the WR's to give Dillon some rest to, besides Jones, we are now feeling the lose of Tonyan, those TE screens worked well with him, whatever, we need to generate our short passing offense.