Packers @ Vikings GDT: Sunday, Nov. 21st, NOON CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Nov 2021 07:58
I wasn't able to watch the game in full, but from what I can gather upon extended highlight clips, it just seems like our secondary didn't make plays on the ball when they were available and their wide receivers did. Lots of tight window throws or pressured lobs. A couple key ones, at that.

And then I logged in to type this and saw that's exactly what others were already saying. So yeah, bummer. The recent strength of the team (defense, pass defense particularly) had a down day when our offense finally showed up and started clicking. Hopefully Gary is back and we can put the two together next week in what is now a bigger game.
A play that I haven't seen discussed much was the ball that went right by Rasul Douglas' ear hole. He ran the route and was a fraction of a second away from a beautiful pick. A game of inches sometimes and it seemingly did not go our way often yesterday in those contested situations.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
22 Nov 2021 08:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
I wasn't able to watch the game in full, but from what I can gather upon extended highlight clips, it just seems like our secondary didn't make plays on the ball when they were available and their wide receivers did. Lots of tight window throws or pressured lobs. A couple key ones, at that.

And then I logged in to type this and saw that's exactly what others were already saying. So yeah, bummer. The recent strength of the team (defense, pass defense particularly) had a down day when our offense finally showed up and started clicking. Hopefully Gary is back and we can put the two together next week in what is now a bigger game.
A play that I haven't seen discussed much was the ball that went right by Rasul Douglas' ear hole. He ran the route and was a fraction of a second away from a beautiful pick. A game of inches sometimes and it seemingly did not go our way often yesterday in those contested situations.
That was so frustrating because he played it so well and an actual bad pass by Cousins made it a good play.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
I watched that replay like 3 times. I can't believe it was completed. It's like he turned around to his left and the ball buzzed by to his right. I don't even think Theilan was aware the ball was coming. It seemed to just hit him and stick. It's such a weird-looking, quick boom-boom play and it basically was the game-winner.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
22 Nov 2021 08:52
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

That was so frustrating because he played it so well and an actual bad pass by Cousins made it a good play.
That and the Savage DPI. A bad ball turns good because it is just so underthrown.

I really do hate that about football.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I have to admit that I wasn't thinking we had a chance yesterday, especially without Gary playing. I just kind of thought the Vikings were a bad matchup for us with all of our injuries. But their o-line is still very beatable. If we have Gary, there is no way they can stop our pressure and those near misses turn into a few turnovers.

I think our offense is at our best when we use the jet sweep motions more often. Otherwise we are too predictable. So happy MLF got more creative with the play calls in the second half. Does anyone know how many plays Mercedes Lewis missed? When did he get hurt?

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

When you have this amount of pressure without 2 of your 3 top pass rushers, it's incredible. And tells the tale of how the DBs had their chances.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

salmar80 wrote:
22 Nov 2021 10:07
When you have this amount of pressure without 2 of your 3 top pass rushers, it's incredible. And tells the tale of how the DBs had their chances.

Yep, guys like Tipa and Garvin were still doing their jobs. Love to see us still getting that much pressure with bottom of the roster guys. Just couldn't get home quick enough and the CBs didn't have their best day.
RIP JustJeff

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

How did Degura do? My feeling was he did alright and it looks like he improves.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

German_Panzer wrote:
22 Nov 2021 12:38
How did Degura do? My feeling was he did alright and it looks like he improves.
He only had 2 targets and caught both of them. 1 for a nice TD, 1st of his career. But he is not Tonayn.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

The Packers defense delivered 21 pressures and 17 stops overall, but the defense’s top three cornerbacks (King, Stokes, Rasul Douglas) allowed 231 passing yards into their coverage.

Aaron Rodgers was under pressure on 10 of 37 dropbacks (27 percent). Kirk Cousins was under pressure on 16 of 37 dropbacks (43.2 percent).

significant pass pressure decline from last two games of 28 KC and 32 Seattle, lack of pressure exposed our secondary.

heres some PFF grades

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/packers-pf ... 40813.html

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I have a real hard time blaming this loss on lack of pressure.

I thought both our lines clearly won the battle of the trenches.

This game down to Missin' Crosby and our secondary just not making the plays. They had about 4 - 6 chances at legit INTs and came up with zero. Oh and Keke for being an absolute moron.

It's just like my rant last year vs Tampa. You have to make the plays when the plays are there to be made. This one was far more egregious simply due to the high volume of missed opportunities.

It's really crazy actually that we are effectively 10-1 as long as our CBs/Safeties hold onto the ball and Crosby makes his field goals under 40 yards.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
22 Nov 2021 15:48
The Packers defense delivered 21 pressures ...

...Kirk Cousins was under pressure on 16 of 37 dropbacks (43.2 percent).
From the same set of statistics... Was someone else under center for those 5 other pressures? :dunno:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Click and watch through all of these. How did they win yesterday?!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LIke I said yesterday.

God was a Vikings fan on 11/21/2021.

We watch a lot of football here. 9 out of 10 games with that type of performance, the Packers win by multiple scores.

Really sucks.

And Rodgers. The miss to the left center field in the 1st quarter was so freaking maddening. I don't know why he didn't want to go to that spot on the field.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Grades Grades Grades Grades

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2021 16:17

This game down to Missin' Crosby and our secondary just not making the plays. They had about 4 - 6 chances at legit INTs and came up with zero. Oh and Keke for being an absolute moron.

It's just like my rant last year vs Tampa. You have to make the plays when the plays are there to be made. This one was far more egregious simply due to the high volume of missed opportunities.

It's really crazy actually that we are effectively 10-1 as long as our CBs/Safeties hold onto the ball and Crosby makes his field goals under 40 yards.
seriously is your goal here to contradict every post I make? we did not dominate the los on both sides, our pass pressures where half of the previous game, and our OL received over all some of the worst grades they had gotten all year

Bottom 5 Offensive PPF Grades for the Packers Week 11:

1. Billy Turner (53.3)
2. Lucas Patrick (54.4)
3. Randall Cobb (55.3)
4. Royce Newman (56.0)
5. Jon Runyan (61.2)

we see Dillon busting tackles and right away think the ol did well, or Rodgers not getting sacked and think the same, truth is Dillon is carrying people to get those yrds and Rodgers is one of the best at dealing with pressure, so when you make statements like you did I have to wonder what game your watching.

then to complain about coverage in one breath, then in another to agree with another poster concerning the ball whizzing right past Douglas ear hole for a completion and all the other tight windows Cousins completed other passes to seems to contradict yourself, sure we had some coverage problems, we always do, thing is it's rarely exposed because the pass rush had been much better, Barry didn't dial up all those blitzes because the base rush package was working, no, he did it because it wasn't working quick enough.

sure the DB's graded poorly as well, but most of that is because Cousins had time to throw, if ya rewatch the game that is soooo obvious.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
23 Nov 2021 07:03
go pak go wrote:
22 Nov 2021 16:17

seriously is your goal here to contradict every post I make? we did not dominate the los on both sides, our pass pressures where half of the previous game, and our OL received over all some of the worst grades they had gotten all year

Bottom 5 Offensive PPF Grades for the Packers Week 11:

1. Billy Turner (53.3)
2. Lucas Patrick (54.4)
3. Randall Cobb (55.3)
4. Royce Newman (56.0)
5. Jon Runyan (61.2)

we see Dillon busting tackles and right away think the ol did well, or Rodgers not getting sacked and think the same, truth is Dillon is carrying people to get those yrds and Rodgers is one of the best at dealing with pressure, so when you make statements like you did I have to wonder what game your watching.

then to complain about coverage in one breath, then in another to agree with another poster concerning the ball whizzing right past Douglas ear hole for a completion and all the other tight windows Cousins completed other passes to seems to contradict yourself, sure we had some coverage problems, we always do, thing is it's rarely exposed because the pass rush had been much better, Barry didn't dial up all those blitzes because the base rush package was working, no, he did it because it wasn't working quick enough.

sure the DB's graded poorly as well, but most of that is because Cousins had time to throw, if ya rewatch the game that is soooo obvious.
Yoop. I contradict you when when I think you are wrong. And yes. Most times I think you are very wrong. This time I think you are wrong.

I believe you brought the stat we had 21 pressures. Like that is a good number.

I will agree that our Oline was the weakest link of the team. But overall our Oline still gave Rodgers enough time and he made MN pay for it once he got his head out of his a$$. The right side of our Oline is starting to classify itself as bad and this is simply a numbers thing. We are so injured and Royce Newman just isn't there. Ideally that would be Jon Runyan's spot. But the left side of the Oline still held up well (I am really starting to like Runyan and I was a slow believer in him). And it showed. Rodgers had a better pocket to pass in that Cousins did on Sunday.

I also most definitely give a pass to our pass rush when it is missing 3 of its 4 best pass rushers. And our blitzes, when ineffective at getting the sack, actually did get to the QB quickly (especially interior pressure)...it's just that our coverage on the back end was so bad that guys like Jefferson were left wide open in the middle of the field that an easy throw made it happen. Pressures don't matter when the receiver has 5 yards of open space around him.

The Packers won the battle of the trenches on Sunday. You don't have DVOA probabilities show a 94% win estimate when you are getting destroyed in the trenches.

This game isn't really that hard to diagnose.

1. Nearly every ball and call bounced MN's way. A 40 yard DPI on Savage when he was playing the ball. The dropped INTs. Some questionable penalties (like what was up with the Lucas Patrick false start), the random hands to face calls on Turner that FOX simply decided to never show on replay, simply dialing up the perfect play call on every 3rd and 10 they faced, etc.

2. Rodgers SUCKED the first 25 minutes of the game. And Sucked is being kind. The offense should have had 10 to 14 points in the 1st quarter. Instead they got 3.

3. Kevin King and Eric Stokes got destroyed by Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson. It was embarrassing.

4. Rasul Douglas and Darnell Savage were in position, they just didn't make the play or Cousins actually got bailed out because his ball was such a bad ball that it worked in MN's favor. This could have been a 4 INT day for Cousins. Instead there were 0 turnovers. Even just one of them happening wins this game.

5. Mason Crosby

Billy Turner and Royce Newman were our worst performers overall on the offense, but that is largely because our offense played really, really well outside of those two.

As for defense, you know Thielen and Jefferson are gonna eat. But you HAVE to win at least one or two of those battles. MN won because we didn't take those opportunities and run with it. Instead we drop the INT and let MN live another down. And they made GB pay with a squeaker of a win.
Last edited by go pak go on 23 Nov 2021 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

Who said anything about dominate? And why would we expect either of our fronts to dominate with the players we had?

But we did win. Our interior defense did dominate their interior offense. Their tackles held up well vs our practice squad guys but Preston had a hell of a day.

Our offensive line held up. Which at this point is all I can hope to expect.

You got on Pckfn23 yesterday for "making up arguments to pick a fight" but then clearly are trying to pick a fight with me. I didn't quote your responses. I simply stated I think we won the battle of the trenches. Never mentioned the word dominate which is a classic "use extreme words to stoke an argument"

I said we did pretty good. Or at least won the overall trenches battle on both sides.

If you disagree that is fine. And if you want to bring evidence to support your disagreement that is also fine. But when the "worst trenches player" is in the mid 50's and the worst DB players are sub 30 on PFF's scale, I think that helps me decide which part is more to blame.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:

then to complain about coverage in one breath, then in another to agree with another poster concerning the ball whizzing right past Douglas ear hole for a completion and all the other tight windows Cousins completed other passes to seems to contradict yourself,
I don't know what you are talking about here either.

The Douglas play the was only real completion I can think of that was a "tight window throw".

Otherwise all of Kirk's completions were basically on busted coverage or the CB getting beat on the play. The throws that were "tight" outside of the Douglas ball were incomplete because the Packer player simply dropped the ball.

If you have examples of tight completions I would be happy if you brought them. I don't want to watch this game again. This one was too much of a gut punch.
Yoop wrote: