Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
24 Nov 2021 11:26
Raptorman wrote:
24 Nov 2021 11:20
APB wrote:
24 Nov 2021 11:04
From RotoWorld:

Sounds like Griffen either has some medication imbalance going on or he's gone full cra-cra. Sad news in any case.
Or maybe, just maybe someone was really in his house.
Well, this kinda says different...
Vikings representatives and the team's mental health professionals have been on-site at Everson Griffen's home since early this morning
Doesn’t mean someone wasn’t in the house. I have a good friend who told people her husband was beating her. But because she was on meds no one believed her. Until one day she showed up n the ER. He had beat her so bad she laid on the garage floor for 2 days before she could drag her ass to the hospital. Once out she left him and he continued with saying she was crazy for years.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Ok. Let me rephrase then.

Sounds like Griffen either has some medication imbalance going on, he's gone full cra-cra, or he actually had an intruder in the house that caused him to post pictures of himself on social media brandishing a firearm in an attempt to ward off said intruder. This assumes the intruder had his social media notifications turned on so he could note his intrusion victims current state of protection and flee while he still had the chance.

That about cover it, Raptor?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
24 Nov 2021 13:42

Sounds like Griffen either has some medication imbalance going on, he's gone full cra-cra, or he actually had an intruder in the house that caused him to post pictures of himself on social media brandishing a firearm in an attempt to ward off said intruder. This assumes the intruder had his social media notifications turned on so he could note his intrusion victims current state of protection and flee while he still had the chance.

Well, he did shoot. So I'm sure if there was an intruder, he bolted. But yeah, I never make assumptions when it comes to initial reports because you never know the real facts right away. Not that's what you were doing, I know you are better than that. Who knows, he could be going cra-cra. We all know he has had issues in the past.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2021 11:51
A sadly unsurprising development. It was very apparent since quite some time ago that Griffen was in no shape mentally to be playing this brain-destroying sport. Anyone could have seen this coming, but leave it to the NFL and a franchise like the Vikings (like the Cowboys before them) to put business ahead of player safety. :hail:$$$$$$$$$$$
Making assumptions you know nothing about. But yeah, MN doesn't care. This is why the team sent mental health people to help. :thwap:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
24 Nov 2021 16:32
APB wrote:

Well, he did shoot. So I'm sure if there was an intruder, he bolted. But yeah, I never make assumptions when it comes to initial reports because you never know the real facts right away. Not that's what you were doing, I know you are better than that. Who knows, he could be going cra-cra. We all know he has had issues in the past.
Wasn't he diagnosed with some sort of bi-polar disorder in the past? Like you said, he's had issues but I'll be damned if I remember the specifics. As I alluded earlier, simply being off meds for a serious mental health issue could cause irregular behavior. Hopefully it's something as "simple" as that.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

APB wrote:
24 Nov 2021 16:37
Raptorman wrote:
24 Nov 2021 16:32
APB wrote:

Wasn't he diagnosed with some sort of bi-polar disorder in the past? Like you said, he's had issues but I'll be damned if I remember the specifics. As I alluded earlier, simply being off meds for a serious mental health issue could cause irregular behavior. Hopefully it's something as "simple" as that.
Yeah, I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember something about meds helping. I do know that certain meds have a tendency to slowly stop working over a period of time. I know my friend micro-doses with weed edibles and that is the one thing that has helped her more than any other medication. Everything else wore off after a while or made her paranoid.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Raptorman wrote:
24 Nov 2021 16:34
Labrev wrote:
A sadly unsurprising development. It was very apparent since quite some time ago that Griffen was in no shape mentally to be playing this brain-destroying sport. Anyone could have seen this coming, but leave it to the NFL and a franchise like the Vikings (like the Cowboys before them) to put business ahead of player safety. :hail:$$$$$$$$$$$
Making assumptions you know nothing about.
Yet I am pretty sure my inkling will turn out to be correct.
But yeah, MN doesn't care. This is why the team sent mental health people to help. :thwap:
After an impending PR disaster that anyone with a brain (and conscience) could have seen coming. And could have avoided.

Yes, after that, they sent help. Wow. Such player safety, much corporate responsibility.

VIKE MOMENT! :vikings:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2021 19:05
Raptorman wrote:
Labrev wrote:
But yeah, MN doesn't care. This is why the team sent mental health people to help. :thwap:
After an impending PR disaster that anyone with a brain (and conscience) could have seen coming. And could have avoided.

Yes, after that, they sent help. Wow. Such player safety, much corporate responsibility.

Actually, people with mental health issues such as bi-polar, can all of a sudden have incredible behavioral lapses with no symptoms beforehand. I don't think you should jump to any conclusions, as there are way too many variables that none of us know about. I just hope he will be OK. Mental illness can be a most difficult thing to deal with for both the individual and those who care about them.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2021 19:05
Raptorman wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Wow. Now you know what's going to happen in the future. Good for you. Tell us, which Packer will screw up off the field in the next 6 months. I mean it has to be obvious to you, or anyone for that matter. Because we all know mental health issues are so easy to discern.

And tell us, do the Packers have mental health professionals on the payroll? How many?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

:roll: I'm not stigmatizing mental illnesses like bipolar disorder and such. What I am saying is simply that someone with a history of mental breakdowns (this is not a first time thing for him, we've known this about him since 2018 at least) should not be playing a brain-destroying sport, because the consequences will ~p r o b a b l y be bad.

What is difficult to understand about that? :thwap:
Last edited by Labrev on 25 Nov 2021 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah there is no way I am going to blame the Vikings here.

Mental Health issues are incredibly difficult, mysterious and I dont know what other adjective to use honestly. It's hard for me to blame anyone really. We are all figuring it out.

I just hope the best for Everson.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Nov 2021 11:17
Wow. Now you know what's going to happen in the future. Good for you.
No, I simply predicted something that came true, namely that having an at-risk individual play a brain-destroying sport would probably not end well. :shock: :o Bold prediction, I know!

But guess who else made it? A VIKINGS FAN, BACK IN 2019!!!!

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-suck ... 1837166258
Their stud defensive end had a terrifying mental breakdown in September (don’t worry; he came back to play more football later on, which is good for the brain!) (...)

And, topping off their masterwork with a crown of dried turds, they controlled their own destiny going into Week 17 and $%@# BLEW IT by dropping their final game at home to a Bears team that essentially had nothing to play for.

I watched that game from a hospital bed.
Yes, I am a Vikings fan,
Ha, that reminds me. Remember when you made fun of us in 2018 for having a down year while you had a Wild Card spot? I seem to remember my response going something like ~"that's a nice wild-card spot you got there, be a shame if something happened to it." WELL GUESS WHAT!?!? The Vikings Viking'd. That was funny! ^^

OMG, I must be clairvoyant or a genius!! No, I just look at history and extrapolate. Some things are just easy to predict. Like, the Vikes being incompetent.
Tell us, which Packer will screw up off the field in the next 6 months. I mean it has to be obvious to you, or anyone for that matter.
I cannot "tell" you because I have no way of knowing, but again, I can make predictions/extrapolate based on the histories (or notable lack thereof) of our players, plus our management's general greater than average aversion of players with such risks. So my guess would be, none of them.
And tell us, do the Packers have mental health professionals on the payroll? How many?
Comically missing the point.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
25 Nov 2021 13:27
No, I simply predicted something that came true, namely that having an at-risk individual play a brain-destroying sport would probably not end well. Bold prediction, I know!
you can't tell a Bi Polar person they can't play football, I bet a lot of players are Bi Polar and take medications to keep stable, and if they went off the meds something like this may happen, you act as though everyone with mental illness is bound to have something bad happen, people make predictions as you have all the time, it's a avenue to say " I told you so" if it should happen, and we never hear about it again if it doesn't, it's a win, win for people to take cheap shots at others or there team, it's not as though the Packers don't have a closet full of skeletons concerning how there FO has managed the team, I wouldn't be so quick to shade Raptor or the Vikings till you accept that we've had plenty of problems of our own over the years.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
25 Nov 2021 17:39
you can't tell a Bi Polar person they can't play football, I bet a lot of players are Bi Polar and take medications to keep stable, and if they went off the meds something like this may happen, you act as though everyone with mental illness is bound to have something bad happen, people make predictions as you have all the time, it's a avenue to say " I told you so" if it should happen, and we never hear about it again if it doesn't, it's a win, win for people to take cheap shots at others or there team, it's not as though the Packers don't have a closet full of skeletons concerning how there FO has managed the team, I wouldn't be so quick to shade Raptor or the Vikings till you accept that we've had plenty of problems of our own over the years.
Labrev wrote:
25 Nov 2021 12:53
:roll: I'm not stigmatizing mental illnesses like bipolar disorder and such. What I am saying is simply that someone with a history of mental breakdowns (...) should not be playing a brain-destroying sport
—Magneto

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

One thing I've mentioned before is getting each team to donate one of the latest scanners to a local hospital and get scans of every player but kickers. Then they'd have a base and scans every three years or so might catch serious issues before they become debilitating. But of course that would be acknowledgement of a problem and the NFL likes to bury problems.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Interesting. Football Outsiders took a look at Yards Above Average, which is a way of calculating how many yards the average player would have on the same number of catches (done by using the receiving average for each season in which the player's catches occurred, to account for changing dynamics of the game and rules)...

and the resulting list of the top players, because it combines yards per catch AND reception volume to get to a result, yields a pretty darn good "top WR of all time" type of list. It's always fun when you find a new metric that really seems to capture things.

That said, they came up with it to show how DeSean Jackson's lethal deep ball skills have elevated him into a pantheon no one thinks of him in. So the point of the exercise also points to a flaw. I mean, I don't know who Stanley Morgan is, but otherwise, this list is really a who's who of top all-time WR talents.
image.png
image.png (30.3 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

I've never heard of Stanley Morgan either: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... rgSt00.htm

He had impressive Y/R numbers
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Stanley Morgan played for the Patriots back in the 70s/80s. Good deep threat guy. Kinda like a Phillip Epps type but with more long term success.

I remember him as a fringe decent player who had a couple good years along with a bunch of middling years. Mind you, he played for them when they weren't very good, i.e. pre-Belichick and Brady.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ball-team/

This is wacky. It will be interesting for sure, but it's the type of thing you see in politics, not sports. I was in his class at Baylor and there's a decent chance that women come out of the woodwork and start accusing him of things after he drops this book.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brian-kelly- ... 00935.html

Interesting look into Brian Kelly with a connection to Matt Lafleur.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."