2022 Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If you start a post in this thread and realize that it has nothing to do with the 2022 draft class, kindly stop typing and delete everything you've commented thus far.

I, again, am so so sick of people who can't stay on topic, can't avoid discussing the past.

It's honestly ruining the board. This thread is about the 2022 draft. Not a danged word should be spoken about any previous drafts. Stop it. I'm like 3 weeks of this mess away from quitting. Some people want to discuss the present and future. There is plenty of space to discuss the past, but this isn't it. Go away.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

To get back on topic this will be the funnest. (Yes I said funnest) year to mock. With the AR trade options I look forward to the mockers.

I'm also on the train of maybe a mid round safety with upside. Amos isnt here forever. Savage needs to take that step and Scott hasnt been on the field.

Drafting a OT every year is wise also. Remember Jaelyn Duncan out of Maryland. Super talented.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I think people are over rating what we get for Rodgers. He will be 38 at the point of trading him and we have less leverage because we kind of have to trade him. Stafford was traded at 33 comparatively. I don’t think a team give up 2 firsts without one of them being extremely conditional.

If we can get an early 1st I would really like Brandon Smith LB from Penn St. he’s incredibly fast and has good size. Get a difference making sideline to sideline defender in the middle of the defense to change the attitude here.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Sep 2021 17:35
I think people are over rating what we get for Rodgers. He will be 38 at the point of trading him and we have less leverage because we kind of have to trade him. Stafford was traded at 33 comparatively. I don’t think a team give up 2 firsts without one of them being extremely conditional.

If we can get an early 1st I would really like Brandon Smith LB from Penn St. he’s incredibly fast and has good size. Get a difference making sideline to sideline defender in the middle of the defense to change the attitude here.
I think we get two firsts and a player for Rodgers, if AR plays at a high level, stays healthy, and talks about wanting to play into his 40s. I really wanted AR traded to Denver. We could have gotten multiple firsts and Surtain, at least. This team isn't winning the SB this year. I would hope we draft in 2022 DL, LB, OL, CB, and WR. Hopefully we have 3 firsts and our original 2nd + a young player acquired via trade.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Thinking about Dan Orlovsky's breakdown of Tennessee's skill position bullies, our reliance on run blocking from our WRs, and our proven history of having a thing for big WRs in this GM administration....

I'd like to add to Trey Burks the names David Bell (6'2" 205) of Purdue and Erik Ezukanma (6'3" 220) of Texas Tech to my names of WR prospects. Though I also think we may be looking for a speed option if MVS isn't around so maybe we keep Lazard, draft one of the three guys I just mentioned (Burks is a top 20-35 player, Bell a guy currently looking at the 30-60 range; Ezukanma no clue but more of a 3rd/4th round vibe to me), and also draft a speed option anywhere in the draft.

I could see a receiver/returner like Bo Melton from Rutgers. I like the little Penn St dude, but he's risen too high in the internet draftosphere for my tastes. Maybe a Calvin Austin, though that guy is tiny, if the value is right (day 3?)

Just some names I wanted to get out there; not trying to take away from our magical ongoing season

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wow, if the season ended today, the Jets, Giants, and Eagles would each have two top-ten picks, all three pairs lining up back-to-back.

Don't trade your first round picks, folks
image.png
image.png (109.24 KiB) Viewed 600 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Nov 2021 15:39
Wow, if the season ended today, the Jets, Giants, and Eagles would each have two top-ten picks, all three pairs lining up back-to-back.

Don't trade your first round picks, folks

image.png
Funny, I had noticed that too earlier today.

Almost forgot the Bears gave up their '22 first for Fields. Moving up only from 20 to 11.

The Seahens gave a possible top 5 pick and a first last year for a safety.

Miami stupidly did some kind of double trade to move back from 3 to 6, was dumb to move back to 6, IMO.

Yeah, keep those 1sts.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Sep 2021 17:35

A team will 100% give two 1sts for Rodgers, because even at 38, he makes most teams immediate Super Bowl contenders. If a team like Denver (using them because it is easy) feels like they can win a ship in the next 3 seasons, they would unconditionally buy that Championship.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
29 Nov 2021 15:54
Funny, I had noticed that too earlier today.

Almost forgot the Bears gave up their '22 first for Fields. Moving up only from 20 to 11.

The Seahens gave a possible top 5 pick and a first last year for a safety.

Miami stupidly did some kind of double trade to move back from 3 to 6, was dumb to move back to 6, IMO.

Yeah, keep those 1sts.
What's wild is the 49ers big move from 12 to 3, took Trey lance despite all the rumors that Shanahan was obsessed with mac Jones, and they could have stayed at 12 and taken Jones who looks to be, at least, the most NFL-ready, if not the best of the QB group this year.

Lance was known to be a raw project, though, so I'm not ruling anything out. But just in terms of trade capital, that future first at least helps soften Miami's blow of not having their own pick.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

1.) Top D playmaker on the board (maybe not at CB because we already have two first-rounders there, but all other spots are on the table)
2.) WR, we're $$ at receiver in this round
3.) Trade Back, Round 3 is a black hole of draft busts for GB.
4.) OL, we're likewise $$$ at OL in the 4th. This time, let's look for T given that Turner is on the last year of his deal.
4.) Defensive position not taken in the 1st
5.) Scat back, we're pretty good at finding skill guys in the mids
5.) Receiver, ditto above, and we may have to restock the shelf here after FA. Also, one of these should have some return value.
6.) Priority-FA
7.) Priority-FA

:aok:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The Sawhawks, Bears, 49ers, Colts, and Rams do not have 1st round picks next year. The Rams have not had a first round pick since they drafted Goff in 2016, who is not longer with the team. McVay has never been part of picking a 1st rounder as a head coach.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Rams probably won't pick in the 1st round until after I'm dead.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
29 Nov 2021 17:48
Rams probably won't pick in the 1st round until after I'm dead.
Les Snead has an entirely different approach to roster building. He sees those draft picks as commodities to be traded for proven veteran players. They essentially take the guesswork out of drafting and use the picks to purchase proven players instead.

Not a terrible philosophy if you can make deals with teams like the Texans year after year. Unfortunately, the Texans are the one idiot franchise and for everybody else proven players tend to cost high/more than one pick so you quickly run out of capital.

I doubt it’s sustainable considering vet players cost a lot more and roster depth without draft restocking is generally poor but they’ve certainly seen some success doing it this way.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I could see the Rams style working in the short term if the plan was win a ring and then blow it up and start over. The key thing in that though is that the ring actually has to won.

Their system requires them to hit homeruns at the back of the draft to fill in holes. It takes a ton of arrogance to think that can be done year after year. Arrogance McVay and Snead probably possess.

As for fielding an all star team of starters, it sounds nice on paper but you sacrifice depth and as soon as one of those all stars goes down, you realize how paper thin the depth really is.

McVay and the Rams thought all they needed was a QB line stafford, well, time will tell but I think we all know who Stafford really is.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The more interesting part is that he had 7 1st rounders in his first 5 years in LA/STL and 0 in the last 5 years AND how both runs faired.

2012 - Michael Brockers - 9 years
2013 - Tavon Austin - 5 years
2013 - Alec Ogletree - 5 years
2014 - Greg Robinson - 3 years
2014 - Aaron Donald - On Team
2015 - Todd Gurley - 5 years
2016 - Jared Goff - 5 years

2017 - Traded up to draft Goff - 5 years
2018 - Traded for Brandin Cooks - 2 years
2019 - Traded back for an extra 3rd and got Taylor Rapp and David Long - Rapp has become full time starter in 3rd year, Long a role player
2020 - Traded for Jalen Ramsey who got owned by Davante Adams
2021 - Traded for Jalen Ramsey who got owned by Davante Adams
2022 - Traded for Matthew Stafford who the Packers have owned his entire career
2023 - Traded for Matthew Stafford who the Packers have owned his entire career
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I dove pretty hard into draft coverage during the bye week, as well. Ton of podcasts from a few of my faves. Putting together an early list (as I typically do) of names to watch. Will add this clip to my thinking, thanks for bringing it!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Dec 2021 08:54
I dove pretty hard into draft coverage during the bye week, as well. Ton of podcasts from a few of my faves. Putting together an early list (as I typically do) of names to watch. Will add this clip to my thinking, thanks for bringing it!
Share yours, as well. I don't really have any Draft pods that I am in love with. Locked On is very meh, for me.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
03 Dec 2021 08:59
YoHoChecko wrote:
Share yours, as well. I don't really have any Draft pods that I am in love with. Locked On is very meh, for me.
There's an "Eagles" podcast called Journey to the Draft hosted by a guy named Fran Duffy. Ben Fennell is on either weekly or for a segment every podcast (twice a week). Dane Bruegler is a weekly guest. They talk to the scouting directors of the all star games a lot (Jim Nagy of the Senior Bowl and Eric Gorscha (sp?) of the Shrine Game).

Some of the coverage is Eagles-centric, but honestly very little of it. I don't recall how or why I found it (probably following Ben Fennel, I'd guess). But they do position breakdowns, big board/mock draft reactions, college games to watch and what we learned from key matchups.

I just listened to the past 3-4 weeks of them (6-8 episodes) this week to get a bunch of names in my head. I really key into this pod during the all star games because they usually have a bunch of great guests who are scouts/former scouts from various teams/media outlets talk about the process and the players that have stood out to them in practices and whatnot, so you really feel like you're getting good insider insights about the practices, more than the quick blurbs you can find on a lot of sites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
spare us nothing, if ya think it, say it :clap:

I think all the talk of us using a first on OL just doesn't make much sense to me, that huge OT might help the run, but basically we have 3 OT's (4 counting Turner) that have not been a liability run blocking.

also I guess I'am the only one that believes Jenkins is going to want tackle money in a year, so I expect we'll play him there, if so what Job will Nijman have? just don't see the need for a OT

whomever the QB is or we bring back Adams, we still need to replace several receivers, using a first on one might be a stretch, but we can't continue to neglect that need.

I think Bert might be right, specially with Z Smith, I know he's talking as though he's about ready to return, but back issues rarely ever heal up long term, they continue to rile back up, at least thats been my experience, which makes me think this is his last year as a Packer, and even if we Keep P Smith I doubt it's more then just next season, so we need another high ceiling groomer.

I don't like paying for draft info, and most of the sources I use to use now have pay walls, so I'am all ears for all the info you guys bring. :aok: