General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just think it has to do with the market. I mean Rodgers showed how wildly valuable he was to the Offense just a few weeks ago when Love started. The offense was awful without him and Lafleur had a poor plan.

That said, I think the world just doesnt know about all the injuries because of the beat writers and just media attention in general. I mean every time I hear the Titans mentioned I hear how banged up they are. I now hear expectations the Bills D will suffer due to the CB1 tearing his ACL.

Yet we have more injuries than almost every team combined and it never gets mentioned.

My point is that Lafleur gets overlooked because of Rodgers..and SOME of that may be deserved.

The rest I blame on the market and just many of the talking heads are dummies and have no idea whats going on with teams outside of like the NFCE.

Lafleur has done a magical job with personality management and steering a ship in rocky seas, but coaches dont get credit for that stuff until after they win a SB anyways usually.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Nov 2021 08:42
I just think it has to do with the market. I mean Rodgers showed how wildly valuable he was to the Offense just a few weeks ago when Love started. The offense was awful without him and Lafleur had a poor plan.

That said, I think the world just doesnt know about all the injuries because of the beat writers and just media attention in general. I mean every time I hear the Titans mentioned I hear how banged up they are. I now hear expectations the Bills D will suffer due to the CB1 tearing his ACL.

Yet we have more injuries than almost every team combined and it never gets mentioned.

My point is that Lafleur gets overlooked because of Rodgers..and SOME of that may be deserved.

The rest I blame on the market and just many of the talking heads are dummies and have no idea whats going on with teams outside of like the NFCE.

Lafleur has done a magical job with personality management and steering a ship in rocky seas, but coaches dont get credit for that stuff until after they win a SB anyways usually.
I agree, but I also think there has been more of an uptick in injury acknowledgement. It started when the WRs were out--fantasy players make better headlines. Obviously, when Rodgers was out, it was another big story (and I also agree that the poor showing in that game is a big determinant in people not believing in MLF, which is understandable though I disagree with the conclusion)

But I think having Joe and Troy for like the 4th time and they know the team and the fact that Yosh Nijmen is a funny name to say has really helped the awareness.

But maybe I feel that way because I've cultivated a very small national media diet of only shows I think do a good job (Good Morning Football on NFL Network, Get Up on ESPN, and NFL Live on ESPN--and only on occasion)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I honestly don't watch any national media anymore because I view it as an inferior product.

But ultimately I am at a point where I just don't care what our national narrative is. The Packers have the opportunity to shape their narrative in January and February. At this point our mantra is we rely on Rodgers and choke in the postseason because the rest of the team is not very good.

Though I strongly disagree with that, that is the narrative. My actual belief is this team rose really fast in 2019 that won with the run game and defense, shifted to an efficient passing and running attack in 2020 and is back to the 2019 style with a more dangerous and deep defense and an offense that is hopefully finding a groove going into December.

It blows my mind that this team is always in it no matter who is out.

Ultimately when I think of the 2021 Green Bay Packers, I think this team is simply more physical than their opponents. And that is a narrative you just never associate with a Packers team.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2021 09:24
I honestly don't watch any national media anymore because I view it as an inferior product.

But ultimately I am at a point where I just don't care what our national narrative is. The Packers have the opportunity to shape their narrative in January and February. At this point our mantra is we rely on Rodgers and choke in the postseason because the rest of the team is not very good.

Though I strongly disagree with that, that is the narrative. My actual belief is this team rose really fast in 2019 that won with the run game and defense, shifted to an efficient passing and running attack in 2020 and is back to the 2019 style with a more dangerous and deep defense and an offense that is hopefully finding a groove going into December.

Ultimately when I think of the 2021 Green Bay Packers, I think this team is simply more physical than their opponents. And that is a narrative you just never associate with a Packers team.
I agree that our national narrative is that we are destined to choke in the NFCCG. I hear it all the time here locally. For some reason Falcons fans REALLY hate the Packers. They get very defensive over Matt Ryan and they honestly believe Ryan is on the level of Rodgers. Its absolutely hilarious. But yeah, I hear comments about losing in the annual chokefest that is the NFCCG all the time. Really hope we bust that narrative this year. It would be nice. However, I cannot say the narrative is unearned at least on the surface.

The only sports media I consume is info in here, info from my favorite twitter follows that discuss the team, and then anything said on Mad Dog Sports Radio. I listen to that every time im in the car.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Nov 2021 09:30
go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2021 09:24

I agree that our national narrative is that we are destined to choke in the NFCCG. I hear it all the time here locally. For some reason Falcons fans REALLY hate the Packers. They get very defensive over Matt Ryan and they honestly believe Ryan is on the level of Rodgers. Its absolutely hilarious. But yeah, I hear comments about losing in the annual chokefest that is the NFCCG all the time. Really hope we bust that narrative this year. It would be nice. However, I cannot say the narrative is unearned at least on the surface.

The only sports media I consume is info in here, info from my favorite twitter follows that discuss the team, and then anything said on Mad Dog Sports Radio. I listen to that every time im in the car.
It is earned. And honestly I am fighting it not trying to ruin this season.

There is just so much pressure on this season in my eyes. Nothing less than a Lombardi trophy will be a success because of the failed 2007, 2011, 2014, and 2020. Also because this is the last chance with this strong of a roster as we know it. It's almost like they need it this year or this era will go down as a failure and missed opportunity like the McCarthy and Thompson teams.

That being said, this team has so much grit. They are finding so many ways to win and I think the challenges they have overcome this season will really help them in the playoffs.

After Week 1, there is legit no game I cam away from saying, "we weren't the better team today". I felt like we were the best team every game this season after Week 1. I also felt like the Packers won the physicality and effort battle every game this year after Week 1. I couldn't say that last year.

Like I even got texts from people saying after last night "no wonder Wilson got dominated by GB...he stinks" and response to that is, our Packers team dominated Cousins and Stafford just as much as Mahommes and Wilson. The only difference is we didn't intercept the ball when it was in our hands. High level you see LA scoring 28 points and think it was a bad game by our defense. But when you watch it, you come away knowing the defense absolutely owned the day.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2021 05:07
The whole belt thing...there has to be times it was mimiced and we lost right?
I believe one of the Giants LBers in 2011 did it to us in that playoff game we lost.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If the season ended today, the Packers would enter the playoffs 4-0 in games against other NFC Playoff teams. (Though Minnesota and New Orleans are tied for the same record as the 7-seed, but are behind WFT in tie-breakers)

But still, some good victories this year, even if they didn't look as big at the time.

The Packers are also 1-1 versus AFC playoff teams. That Ravens game is looking juicy. On one hand, I want it to snow because we're brutal in snow games and it would slow down Lamar. But I'm going to be there, so.... well actually, I have long underwear; I'll be fine. Snow game please

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Nov 2021 10:02
If the season ended today, the Packers would enter the playoffs 4-0 in games against other NFC Playoff teams. (Though Minnesota and New Orleans are tied for the same record as the 7-seed, but are behind WFT in tie-breakers)

But still, some good victories this year, even if they didn't look as big at the time.

The Packers are also 1-1 versus AFC playoff teams. That Ravens game is looking juicy. On one hand, I want it to snow because we're brutal in snow games and it would slow down Lamar. But I'm going to be there, so.... well actually, I have long underwear; I'll be fine. Snow game please
Live snow games are awesome!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

We're back to odd-on favorites to be the 1-seed at Football Outsiders (Also at 538)
image.png
image.png (24.44 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Interesting to me is how much our DVOA metric increased from one week to the next, and I'm assuming that this was finally the week that the week 1 game dropped in their weighting significantly.

It's clear that in FO's simulations, the Packers lost tot he Rams a good portion of the time, given how much the win total and highly-seeded playoff odds changed from one week to the next.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
30 Nov 2021 10:27
ohhh my level of intoxication for the game just quadrupled with all that extra tailgate time

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Nov 2021 10:20
We're back to odd-on favorites to be the 1-seed at Football Outsiders (Also at 538)

image.png

Interesting to me is how much our DVOA metric increased from one week to the next, and I'm assuming that this was finally the week that the week 1 game dropped in their weighting significantly.

It's clear that in FO's simulations, the Packers lost tot he Rams a good portion of the time, given how much the win total and highly-seeded playoff odds changed from one week to the next.
Yeah. Pretty confident a 3 loss Packers team gets the 1 seed. For a 4 loss Packers team to get the 1 seed, the following needs to happen:

1. Arizona to lose twice
2. Dallas to lose once
3. Tampa to lose once

Three way tie scenarios could still be an issue though for the most part I think GB will win these as long as the three way tie isn't with Dallas. Also, obviously the best loss for GB to have, if they get to 4 losses, is to Baltimore.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
30 Nov 2021 10:47
Yeah. Pretty confident a 3 loss Packers team gets the 1 seed. For a 4 loss Packers team to get the 1 seed, the following needs to happen:

1. Arizona to lose twice
2. Dallas to lose once
3. Tampa to lose once

Three way tie scenarios could still be an issue though for the most part I think GB will win these as long as the three way tie isn't with Dallas. Also, obviously the best loss for GB to have, if they get to 4 losses, is to Baltimore.
for the record, I think that list of things that need to happen with one more loss is a pretty likely list. The Cardinals have overcome some stuff, though, and seem to keep winning, so maybe they're just lucky this year. But I could EASILY see the Cowboys and Bucs getting their one loss and the Cardinals getting at least one more. Two is definitely possible. Rams, Colts, and Cowboys all on the schedule.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MLF to win Coach of the Year odds went from +1700 to +600 over the past week. Big movement in his favor.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:

image.png

Packers can't clinch the division with a win over the Bears, but they could as soon as the following day with the Vikings hosting Pittsburgh on a Monday. Earliest we can win it.

And actually looks like Cardinals still got a slight edge for #1 seed
image.png
image.png (144.55 KiB) Viewed 336 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
30 Nov 2021 11:09
YoHoChecko wrote:

image.png

Packers can't clinch the division with a win over the Bears, but they could as soon as the following day with the Vikings hosting Pittsburgh on a Monday. Earliest we can win it.
Yeah, I was sort of looking forward to clinching it during the bye week (had we beaten the Vikings) so we could come out of the bye with the focus on "we checked off goal #1, time to focus on the next level" kind of mentality. But stupid Vikings game had to go and ruin everything.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Nov 2021 11:00
go pak go wrote:

1. Arizona to lose twice
2. Dallas to lose once
3. Tampa to lose once

for the record, I think that list of things that need to happen with one more loss is a pretty likely list. The Cardinals have overcome some stuff, though, and seem to keep winning, so maybe they're just lucky this year. But I could EASILY see the Cowboys and Bucs getting their one loss and the Cardinals getting at least one more. Two is definitely possible. Rams, Colts, and Cowboys all on the schedule.
Yeah. I think my comfort level in order of what needs to happen is

Most comfortable - Dallas losing one more (their two losses in 4 days was huge for us)

Next level of comfort - Tampa losing one more. (only needs to lose on more. Their schedule isn't brutal but they are also not the same team as they were last year. They have the Bills, Jets and then the NFC South with two games vs Carolina. Carolina very much is the wildcard there in my mind.

Biggest hurdle - AZ Cardinals. Losing two games is a bigger stretch. Think we really need the Rams to provide us one of those. Then hopefully one of the Colts or Cowboys can do the other one.

My biggest hope is we can go into Christmas vs the Browns knowing we control our own destiny by that time.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

image.png

1. Arizona to lose twice
2. Dallas to lose once
3. Tampa to lose once

Cardinals play Dallas, so there is one of the 4 needed right there. (Tie would be best case scenario for us)

17 other games to get the 3 losses we need. I like those odds.

Arizona
@Chicago
LA Rams
@Detroit
Indy
@Dallas
Seattle

Tampa Bay
@Atlanta
Buffalo
New Orleans
@Carolina
@NY Jets
Carolina

Dallas
@New Orleans
@Washington
@NY Giants
Washington
Arizona
@Philly

Kind of almost seems like we should know after week 17. Not many tough games in week 18 for any of the 4.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That we already have 7 conference wins and no other team has more than 5 is a big plus right now.

We have 3 conference games left, all in the division.
TB has 4 conference games left, all in the division.
LAR has 4 conference games left, 3 division games, 1 conference game.
ARI has 5 conference games left, 2 division games, 3 conference games.
DAL has 6 conference games left, 4 division games, 2 conference games.

Conference record is the 2nd tiebreaker after head to head.

Personally, I see TB dropping 1 and ARI dropping 2 as even odds.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2021 00:45
This is unreal
Blows my mind how many guys mocked the belt when they were losing, sometimes by multiple scores
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi