Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Nov 2021 19:16
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brian-kelly- ... 00935.html

Interesting look into Brian Kelly with a connection to Matt Lafleur.
Oh wow. Somehow I had literally no idea about any of this. I wish I had because I hate Notre Dame! I could have been talking trash this whole time. I guess now I get to hate LSU (I always sorta hated LSU, but Ed Orgeron was a personal favorite of the USC community, so I gave them a pass in his time there)

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Brain Kelly joked about executing players for poor execution this season after having blood on his hands in 2010 when a student filming practice was killed. Kelly demanded he go up on a crane type thing during outdoor practice while high winds were ongoing and a gust knocked over a crane and the kid died.

He has always seemed like a d*** and no character to me, notre dame knew this too but allowed it because he won games. They really soiled themselves with him.

Peep this article from 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... etion/amp/
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Notre Dame is a fake Catholic institution

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
30 Nov 2021 21:30
For most students now, Universities are fake learning institution that give pieces of paper that are worthless. I think football players should not have to work for free and should be able to join the NFL whenever they want. That degree is usually worthless. The exception would be in engineering or math or hard sciences or medicine but few football players choose those.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Dec 2021 03:05
texas wrote:
For most students now, Universities are fake learning institution that give pieces of paper that are worthless. I think football players should not have to work for free and should be able to join the NFL whenever they want. That degree is usually worthless. The exception would be in engineering or math or hard sciences or medicine but few football players choose those.
I absolutely disagree with this idea. Yes, I am biased since I have worked at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for over 31 years. However, my college experience was a tremendous learning opportunity and the degrees I received have opened doors that would not have been available otherwise. You get what you put into your college experiences. Some students put very little into it and therefore receive little from it. But most students who put forth a great effort will receive great dividends and they will quite happily tell you this is true.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

TheSkeptic wrote:
texas wrote:
You probably have a valid point in your mind and you tried to make it. But to say that a "degree is totally worthless" is an overreach. It probably doesn't symbolize the type or quality of education that it should. But I assure you that a degree very much has worth. I like the example of my own son. He joined the Marines straight outta high school (BTW, oorah!). And when he was preparing to sign the dotted line to enlist, he actually asked me if I thought college was a better choice. I told him that I didn't think he was ready for college. He agreed. But I also told him that, as much as he wouldn't like the grind of college education, he surely would like what his 4-year degree would get for him. It would make a difference and he would know that it did once he looks at it in hindsight.

Well, he did his enlistment, served in Fallujah, re-enlisted for a very nice bonus, and started his college education online. He would ultimately finish his business degree. He now is a general manager at a very large retail store. He wouldn't be able to sniff a management job without a degree. And unless he'd want to start his own business, he would never get close to the income from it either.

If people don't see the value or worth in that...

I'm not saying that a college education is what it is supposed to be. And in some places, you have to start on your Master's before you ever get advanced education. Sad. And it certainly costs way too much in the western world. But there surely is worth in it, if it's done right.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Interesting list. Really points to how first year success doesn't always equate to career success and first year "failure" doesn't equate to career "failure."
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

williewasgreat wrote:
01 Dec 2021 04:30
TheSkeptic wrote:
texas wrote:
I absolutely disagree with this idea. Yes, I am biased since I have worked at the University of Wisconsin-Madison for over 31 years.
Yeah this is really the thing- back when you got your degree, it did open doors because it was more exclusive and less of a scam, but now that everyone does it, it matters less. Happy to keep talking about this issue in the Podium.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Antonio Brown. Still an idiot.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
02 Dec 2021 17:27
Antonio Brown. Still an idiot.
Yeah, agreed.

And did you see how it got out? AB apparently stiffed his personal chef who, in turn, spilled the secret.

I mean, if you’re gonna do something that stupid, you’d think you might wanna limit knowledge of it to maaaayybbeee your closest friends. If that. AB, being the idiot he is, shared it with the hired help…and then went and pissed him off over essentially peanuts. What a tool.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
05 Dec 2021 06:58
Any comparison to what most expected? Sounds pretty close to what we had been hearing.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Last spring they committed to a 2022 maximum salary cap f $208.2 million. So this just making that official at the max.

This means the Packers salary cap for 2022 is exactly where we expected it to be.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

yikes

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Dec 2021 08:28
yikes

I knew he wasn't good, but... wow!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Peter King with some pretty strong words in his FMIA weekly column regarding the Bucs response to the Antonio Brown fake covid card scandal:
On Antonio Brown

What Bruce Arians told me when the Bucs signed the troubled Brown 13-plus months ago has been on my mind the past few days. “If he screws up one time, he’s gone,” Arians told me in November 2020. Let’s see. By my count, Brown has screwed up three times since those words were spoken.

1. Brown used a fake vaccine card to confirm that he’d been vaccinated. That’s a federal offense.

2. Brown spent multiple weeks—as much as four months—around his team pretending to be vaccinated. Among those he would be near almost every day are the 69-year-old Arians, who had prostate cancer in 2007 and has had skin cancer; and offensive assistant Tom Moore, who is 83. Greg Auman of The Athletic read Arians’ post-Super Bowl book “A Season in the Sun,” and found a passage that quoted Arians telling his players: “If any of you make me or Tom Moore sick, I have a gun and I will shoot you in the kneecaps.” Arians and Moore can’t be happy that Brown passed himself off as vaxxed—and imagine the fury of their families.

3. Brown’s scheme to use the fake card began “unraveling,” according to a story in the Wall Street Journal posted Sunday by Louise Radnofsky and Andrew Beaton, when the league discovered the card purported to show a vaccine issued 90 minutes away from Tampa. The paper said Brown told investigators he went to a far-away vax center because he didn’t want to be recognized, and because he didn’t want to be around teammates. Then the investigators discovered two other teammates had cards with the same vax data from the same vax site on the same day.

With so much at stake—his employment with the Super Bowl champions and his friend Tom Brady—Brown thought he could get away with this. And maybe he will.

The Bucs say they’ll have nothing to say till Brown’s suspension is up and he is eligible to return Dec. 26 against Carolina. What must be going through the minds of Arians and GM Jason Licht? At times, Brown has seemed Brady’s favorite receiver, and the Bucs, 9-3 with five games to go, have a legitimate chance to repeat as champs. Might they wait till Brown is eligible and see where their receiver group is then—see if they really need Brown? Might they think the media clamor will die down over the next two weeks, and they’ll be able to fold Brown back into the team with an I-am-truly-sorry press conference by Brown when he’s eligible to play? We’ll learn a lot about the Bucs, and their ethos, in the next couple of weeks.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Throwing [mention]Raptorman[/mention] a little carrot here so he doesn't get entirely scared off.
image.png
image.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 351 times

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.