General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 Dec 2021 06:55
go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2021 05:07
Drj820 wrote:
07 Dec 2021 18:41
Rodgers said on mcafee he doesn’t to practice much the rest of the year, but said he doesn’t need it and thatl be fine.

I disagree. I think my eye ball test shows he’s not as sharp without practice. So this news is unfortunate to me.
I'm not gonna lie.

I think the last 6 quarters of Rodgers play has been MVP level. Everything before that was meh.

He is finally getting into a groove.

He is playing really, really well. Especially because I would consider our Oline is entering "bad" territory.
Boy, you just can't keep from harping on this o-line thing.

They went up against one of the best defensive fronts with multiple players missing and still held up to allow a 36 pt performance from the offense. 36 points, mind you, and they left points on the field. They put up 31 points the week prior and, again, left points on the field.

I know, I know...Rodgers, Dillon, blah, blah blah.

Fact is, the o-line unit has performed within the scheme of the offense to allow the offense to put up ample points. Sacks and pressures have been limited, run gaps have been decent albeit they did struggle, at times, against LA's premier front (shocker) although points have been plenty. All from a unit that continues to be decimated by injuries.

Again, I don't know what your expectation is but, in my eyes, this o-line is performing just fine and will likely be much better moving forward with the pending returns of Bahk and Myers. Maybe that will cede the tide of hand-wringing...but I doubt it.
Patrick had Aaron Donald so upset Donald tried to strangle him, apparently Patrick was doing pretty good :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
08 Dec 2021 06:55
go pak go wrote:
08 Dec 2021 05:07
Drj820 wrote:
07 Dec 2021 18:41
Rodgers said on mcafee he doesn’t to practice much the rest of the year, but said he doesn’t need it and thatl be fine.

I disagree. I think my eye ball test shows he’s not as sharp without practice. So this news is unfortunate to me.
I'm not gonna lie.

I think the last 6 quarters of Rodgers play has been MVP level. Everything before that was meh.

He is finally getting into a groove.

He is playing really, really well. Especially because I would consider our Oline is entering "bad" territory.
Boy, you just can't keep from harping on this o-line thing.

They went up against one of the best defensive fronts with multiple players missing and still held up to allow a 36 pt performance from the offense. 36 points, mind you, and they left points on the field. They put up 31 points the week prior and, again, left points on the field.

I know, I know...Rodgers, Dillon, blah, blah blah.

Fact is, the o-line unit has performed within the scheme of the offense to allow the offense to put up ample points. Sacks and pressures have been limited, run gaps have been decent albeit they did struggle, at times, against LA's premier front (shocker) although points have been plenty. All from a unit that continues to be decimated by injuries.

Again, I don't know what your expectation is but, in my eyes, this o-line is performing just fine and will likely be much better moving forward with the pending returns of Bahk and Myers. Maybe that will cede the tide of hand-wringing...but I doubt it.
I mean let's be real here.

The 1st 10 points are scored with the offense getting 9 total yards. The last 9 points (because offense failed the 2 pt conversion) were scored with the offense gaining 16 yards.

The Packers offense itself earned 20 points (1 missed FG). This was comprised of 3 great drives. And they were great drives with huge plays to Cobb and Adams on them.

Yeah. The Oline is not playing good football right now. Newsome and Turner are getting worse as the season is going along. Runyan had his toughest game but overall I am excited about him and credit the Rams more because this game was an anomaly for Runyan. I think overall Nijman is playing good football. He is an exciting prospect. I think we would do better with good center play.

We have been watching the worst Oline play during the MLF era. So far it has been covered up because of great WR, RB and QB play. They have been phenomenal. But that right side of the line in particular needs to get back into a groove. I have been a staunch Billy Turner defender on this forum for a long time. But I am cooling significantly on him based on the last month or so of play.

The offense is setting itself up to being dominant again. It's so close. Rodgers is hitting that groove. For as much as people like to paint me as a Rodgers hater, which is ridiculous, let me be the loudest right now "he is playing MVP level right now". His balls against the Rams were SICK. The Oline just needs to give him another half to full second and start blocking well enough to get Aaron Jones in that 2nd level.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Offensive players right now in my doghouse are Turner, Lazard, Newsome.

Lupe isn't here lately so somebody has to post about the doghouse players.

Offensive players I am starting to get really excited about are EQSB and Deguara with honorable mention being Nijman and Runyan. (these two are back in HO because they struggled vs LA)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Rodgers threw 45 passes and was sacked once for a total of 46 dropbacks. PFF charged the offensive line for three quarterback hits – two against left tackle Yosh Nijman and one against left guard Jon Runyan. In the fourth quarter, Von Miller shot past Nijman with an inside move and clobbered Rodgers. That’s the one negative play that really stood out. To give up one hit apiece to the all-decade Miller, the all-decade Aaron Donald and sacks leader Leonard Floyd couldn’t be classified as anything other than an overwhelming win for Adam Stenavich’s unit.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/wee ... geles-rams

I was looking for something on PFR and what shocked me was that Patrick was the #3 rated center for run blocking, that was a couple weeks back, he is also not charged with a sack this season, so his 59 or so PFF grade someone posted a while back must be due to penalty's, hits and hurry's, I tried to go back to bring this info, but have had a problem finding it, point is that Patrick has been a lot better then I thought.

this bye week should help, this OL has held up well, but it's been a long run, hopefully the rest will help guys like Newman and Turner.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

From the article Yoop brought:
Passing Offense

Rodgers was 28-of-45 passing for 307 yards and two touchdowns. He was in complete control. In a performance reminiscent of last year’s MVP season, he mostly took what the Rams gave him. On passes less than 10 yards downfield, Rodgers was 24-of-26 for 172 yards and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. There have been times when he’s been a bit skittish when pressured but he was rarely, if ever, flustered on Sunday.

Davante Adams was sensational, catching 8-of-9 targets for 104 yards. Randall Cobb caught four passes for 95 yards in the first half before sitting out the second half with a groin injury. Maybe Amari Rodgers would have been more advanced if force-fed snaps, but Aaron Rodgers was right in pressing general manager Brian Gutekunst to acquire Cobb at the start of training camp. Cobb is like a fire extinguisher. When Rodgers needs him, he can smash the glass and hit Cobb on a key play.

Rodgers threw 45 passes and was sacked once for a total of 46 dropbacks. PFF charged the offensive line for three quarterback hits – two against left tackle Yosh Nijman and one against left guard Jon Runyan. In the fourth quarter, Von Miller shot past Nijman with an inside move and clobbered Rodgers. That’s the one negative play that really stood out. To give up one hit apiece to the all-decade Miller, the all-decade Aaron Donald and sacks leader Leonard Floyd couldn’t be classified as anything other than an overwhelming win for Adam Stenavich’s unit.

Rushing Offense

Running backs AJ Dillon (20 carries, 69 yards) and Aaron Jones (10 carries, 23 yards) combined for just 92 yards on 30 tries. Their longest carries of the day went for a meager 8 yards. Still, credit to coach Matt LaFleur for sticking with it and to Dillon for plowing forward for every possible inch – and then some.

By our count, Dillon had 51 yards after contact and broke five tackles and Jones had 19 yards after contact and broke three tackles. The Packers drafted Dillon for games like this one. Jones is a superb talent but, in the fourth quarter of a cold-weather game, who wants to tackle 247 pounds of Dillon? Safety Taylor Rapp will have nightmares after getting plowed over in the fourth quarter.

The blocking wasn’t great but the Rams have been stout vs. the run for most of the season. Nijman might not be as good as Jenkins in the run game but he’s an asset, nonetheless.

Grade: C-plus.
Huh. Didn't see "bad" mentioned or "worst Oline play of the MLF era" anywhere. The article also omits the "not playing good football right now" narrative that some say has been going on for weeks. The writer did concede the run blocking wasn't "great" but nobody on this forum was saying it was. What was said is the run blocking was adequate enough to allow those RBs to get those short first downs and allow MLF to continue calling run plays with confidence in producing positive yards. The Rams logged 3 TFL all game with two of them coming in the 2nd half while the Packers had a sizeable lead and were clearly running the ball. This, against what the writer above specifically notes as a defensive line that has been stout against the run for most of the season.

The summation statement for the passing offense says it all:
couldn’t be classified as anything other than an overwhelming win for Adam Stenavich’s unit.
Bingo.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 Dec 2021 11:29
From the article Yoop brought:
Passing Offense

Rodgers was 28-of-45 passing for 307 yards and two touchdowns. He was in complete control. In a performance reminiscent of last year’s MVP season, he mostly took what the Rams gave him. On passes less than 10 yards downfield, Rodgers was 24-of-26 for 172 yards and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. There have been times when he’s been a bit skittish when pressured but he was rarely, if ever, flustered on Sunday.

Davante Adams was sensational, catching 8-of-9 targets for 104 yards. Randall Cobb caught four passes for 95 yards in the first half before sitting out the second half with a groin injury. Maybe Amari Rodgers would have been more advanced if force-fed snaps, but Aaron Rodgers was right in pressing general manager Brian Gutekunst to acquire Cobb at the start of training camp. Cobb is like a fire extinguisher. When Rodgers needs him, he can smash the glass and hit Cobb on a key play.

Rushing Offense

Running backs AJ Dillon (20 carries, 69 yards) and Aaron Jones (10 carries, 23 yards) combined for just 92 yards on 30 tries. Their longest carries of the day went for a meager 8 yards. Still, credit to coach Matt LaFleur for sticking with it and to Dillon for plowing forward for every possible inch – and then some.

By our count, Dillon had 51 yards after contact and broke five tackles and Jones had 19 yards after contact and broke three tackles. The Packers drafted Dillon for games like this one. Jones is a superb talent but, in the fourth quarter of a cold-weather game, who wants to tackle 247 pounds of Dillon? Safety Taylor Rapp will have nightmares after getting plowed over in the fourth quarter.

The blocking wasn’t great but the Rams have been stout vs. the run for most of the season. Nijman might not be as good as Jenkins in the run game but he’s an asset, nonetheless.

Grade: C-plus.
Huh. Didn't see "bad" mentioned or "worst Oline play of the MLF era" anywhere. The article also omits the "not playing good football right now" narrative that some say has been going on for weeks. The writer did concede the run blocking wasn't "great" but nobody on this forum was saying it was. What was said is the run blocking was adequate enough to allow those RBs to get those short first downs and allow MLF to continue calling run plays with confidence in producing positive yards. The Rams logged 3 TFL all game with two of them coming in the 2nd half while the Packers had a sizeable lead and were clearly running the ball. This, against what the writer above specifically notes as a defensive line that has been stout against the run for most of the season.

The summation statement for the passing offense says it all:
couldn’t be classified as anything other than an overwhelming win for Adam Stenavich’s unit.
Bingo.
again the point I've tried to make is that WE, US FANS rarely notice the good play with OL as much as we see the bad, the bad tends to stand out with obviously a penalty, a sack given up, etc., we don't notice say when Patrick takes out the front side Lber on a run play, the good stuff tends to go un noticed.

MLF gamed the Rams real well, he new that Rodgers would have to get rid of the ball quickly so he drew up a bunch of on schedule short pass routes and schemes and he kept banging Dillon so the Rams would have to play in the box,that left mis matches a step beyond and Rodgers nailed his receivers, on defense we went after Goff, I think we had 19 pass pressures, amazing since the Rams have a taunted OL.

I suppose it's a bit of both, decent OL play, enhanced with quality running and passing.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

'
'
:munch:

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
08 Dec 2021 12:52
'
'
:banana: finally

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
08 Dec 2021 12:52
'
'

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

So I assume Alexander's return means he won't need off-season surgery to repair whatever it was that has seemingly healed with time?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

our bright spot of our ST's this season, I'd have brought the whole article, but it's very long and boring in spots.

The Packers sent a sixth-round pick to the Rams for Bojorquez at the end of camp. On the same day, they released JK Scott, who they drafted in the fifth round in 2018. While Bojorquez has struggled as a placekick holder for Mason Crosby, an issue that followed him from Buffalo, he has been a revelation as the Packers punter.

Bojorquez’s 47.8 gross yards per punt not only is tied for eighth in the NFL, but it would set a single-season franchise record by more than 2 yards. His 43.8-yard net average would also set a franchise record by more than 2 yards.

Through 12 games, no Packers punter has ever had a season like this.

“Some of the practices we have here,” Bojorquez says, “the wind is just ridiculous. But at the end of the day, at the end of my career, I want to be the best to have ever done it. I want to be better than the other 31 guys that are playing in the league. To do that, I’ve got to not only outpunt people, but outpunt them in bad conditions.

“If I can stick to what I’ve been doing and working and just kind of focusing on my craft, I think I have the potential to be the top guy.”

If Bojorquez reaches those heights, his 2021 season will almost surely be a prominent feature on that résumé. Bojorquez has maximized distance without sacrificing hang time, ranking sixth in the NFL with a 4.39-second average. He’s also punted smarter this season. Bojorquez has pulled back a few yards on his gross average from last fall, when he had seven touchbacks with 18 punts land inside the 20-yard line.

This season, he has just two touchbacks with 15 inside the 20. One of those touchbacks was an 82-yard missile in Chicago, among the 24 longest punts in NFL history.

“I almost wish it would’ve been 81 yards,” Bojorquez says, “and checked up at the 1 instead of being a touchback.”

Almost.

Bojorquez has a chance to become the first Packers punter to rank among the NFL’s top five in gross and net average. Only twice since the NFL merger has a Packers punter ranked inside the top 10 in both: Don Bracken in 1987 (ninth in gross, 10th in net) and David Beverly in 1979 (10th gross, tied sixth net).

Now comes the difficult part: December. The month frozen punts go to die. The Packers have three more home games this season, including Sunday against the Bears, where temperatures at Lambeau Field will be just above freezing with forecasted 15-mph winds.

In other words, gulp.

Bojorquez couldn’t care less. The frozen tundra does not faze him. He’s already doing this year what all the greats eventually accomplish, redefining what’s possible.

theres a pay wall, but heres the link if ya subscribe

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 434730001/

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Sounds like Cobby needs to rest up and hopefully be ready for the playoffs. No exact word, but sports hernia is most likely culprit. MLF said he's going to miss some time and its significant.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Etling wore #5 at New England. And Bortles wore #5 at JAX.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:08
Sounds like Cobby needs to rest up and hopefully be ready for the playoffs. No exact word, but sports hernia is most likely culprit. MLF said he's going to miss some time and its significant.
bummer, well it's time for Amari Rodgers to make a impact, Cobb spoke so highly of him it's time for Amari to earn that praise, and Sunday is no better time to start. :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:28
are you saying we brought Bortles back and gave him Paul " the Horny" Hornungs old number? :rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:35
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:28
are you saying we brought Bortles back and gave him Paul " the Horny" Hornungs old number? :rotf:
:thwap:

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Yoop wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:33
paco wrote:
09 Dec 2021 12:08
bummer, well it's time for Amari Rodgers to make a impact, Cobb spoke so highly of him it's time for Amari to earn that praise, and Sunday is no better time to start. :mrgreen:
MLF said in his presser today that Amari is just not ready yet. He said Cobb's snaps will be split between ESB, Lazard, and Adams.