Bears at Packers GDT: Sunday Dec 12th, 7:20pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

This is just GD spectacular!
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Game didn't start here until 03:00 and so I watched it when I woke up.

Like others, ST needs to be fixed NOW. Crosby needs to kick it at least halfway through the EZ. If he can't, let someone else kickoff, perhaps the punter. Amari Rodgers needs to be replaced as punt returner. Taylor needs to be replaced as kickoff returner. And MVS should never be on the hands team. Probably MVS was because ESB has another concussion (hope it does not end his season as it is not his first) Is there no one on the Packers PS (Winfree?) who can catch a punt and a kickoff? If not, look at other team's PS rosters. ST's already lost 1 game for the Packers, enough is enough.

Turner slamming his helmet like he did is not a good sign.

Other than ST's everyone on both sides of the ball played well. Douglas was exceptional. looks like Jaire has been coaching him. Dillon was a beast again. Lazard got some targets and produced. TE was not a liability anymore. And Da Bears still suck

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Dec 2021 07:07
Crosby needs to kick it at least halfway through the EZ. If he can't, let someone else kickoff, perhaps the punter.
This still isn't the problem. We know he can do it, because he did it in the game. Its a conscious decision to kick it short and try to cover it most of the time. The wind wasn't bad enough yesterday to cause problems.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
13 Dec 2021 07:10
TheSkeptic wrote:
Crosby needs to kick it at least halfway through the EZ. If he can't, let someone else kickoff, perhaps the punter.
This still isn't the problem. We know he can do it, because he did it in the game. Its a conscious decision to kick it short and try to cover it most of the time. The wind wasn't bad enough yesterday to cause problems.
Then the coach needs to be fired for telling him not to. It should be clear that neither the kickoff nor punting team can cover. Telling him to kick it near the sideline did not work out so great either

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
13 Dec 2021 07:20
paco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Then the coach needs to be fired for telling him not to. It should be clear that neither the kickoff nor punting team can cover. Telling him to kick it near the sideline did not work out so great either
I agree.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Bears have a valid complaint...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Holy &%$@! Ya they do. I wonder if this was the reason they called the Bears so tight.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Dec 2021 08:02
Holy &%$@! Ya they do. I wonder if this was the reason they called the Bears so tight.
I suppose the difference is the Packers player was pushed out-of-bounds while the Bears gunner basically went out on his own to avoid the defender. They're both penalty's but one was called, one wasn't. And when you add in the momentous shift change the Bears penalty play could have had, yeah I'd be a little PO'd too.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

whatever :roll: Doesn't look like the guy ever got back on the field so I don't think its a penalty unless he tries to. Once you are out, just stay out. Didn't negatively affect the play for them, in fact it should have helped. Bears fans need to find another hobby other than saying the refs favor the Packers.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
13 Dec 2021 08:17
Doesn't look like the guy ever got back on the field so I don't think its a penalty unless he tries to.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

How many weeks in a row have we had a major special teams gaf?

I can't remember if we had one vs Seattle or Arizona or not
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
paco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
typically we stop the return prior to the 25 yrd line, we had a bad coverage game, to many good things can happen if ya force a return, such as a fumbled kick, to bad the Bears don't have Amari Rodgers fielding punts and kicks

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
13 Dec 2021 08:28
How many weeks in a row have we had a major special teams gaf?

I can't remember if we had one vs Seattle or Arizona or not
I'm not keeping track of any streak but I think it's safe to say our ST play, as a whole as well as individual aspects, truly suck. Bojo has been the lone bright spot but even he has struggled a bit.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Yoop wrote:
13 Dec 2021 08:29
TheSkeptic wrote:
paco wrote:

typically we stop the return prior to the 25 yrd line, we had a bad coverage game, to many good things can happen if ya force a return, such as a fumbled kick, to bad the Bears don't have Amari Rodgers fielding punts and kicks
Alot can and has gone bad also. I dont think we get many stops before the 25 to justify this. Kick the damn thing through the EZ and let the d handle the rest.

This STs sheet show will lose a playoff game if allowed to continue this mess. Its inexcusable and heads should roll today not tomorrow today

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I don't know what people expect to be done about a unit that is bad at week 14 in the season. Our special teams are bad and we have to learn to win with them, despite them; that's who we are. No use yelling about improvements this far into the season.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Dec 2021 10:10
I don't know what people expect to be done about a unit that is bad at week 14 in the season. Our special teams are bad and we have to learn to win with them, despite them; that's who we are. No use yelling about improvements this far into the season.
Idk who is yelling but like I said IF Crosby can kick it through the endzone do it Everytime. That alone is an improvement. IF BoJo can angle it to the sideline do it. If it goes out oh well.... It still better then a long return. Cant score tds or get 50 yard returns if you take away the option. JS

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
13 Dec 2021 09:16
Yoop wrote:
13 Dec 2021 08:29
TheSkeptic wrote:

Alot can and has gone bad also. I dont think we get many stops before the 25 to justify this. Kick the damn thing through the EZ and let the d handle the rest.

This STs sheet show will lose a playoff game if allowed to continue this mess. Its inexcusable and heads should roll today not tomorrow today
I get your point, I went to find data that would show Opponents rarely get past the 25 on returns, no luck, so I have to go by memory, obviously these long returns stand out, but imho they are the exception.

I also think Crosby has lost some leg power, with little wind issues he can boot it deep, against a breeze, not so much, in that regard it seems we opt for hang time and coverage, again going from memory I think we've had quite a few stops short of the 25, most though are probably stopped prior to the 30.

the real bummer concerning teams play imho is that ( minus better returner) this is the deepest this team has been in years, we should be much better then we are, we need to actually open the wallet when purchasing a special teams coach versus spending minimum money on the position.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
13 Dec 2021 10:32
I went to find data that would show Opponents rarely get past the 25 on returns, no luck, so I have to go by memory, obviously these long returns stand out, but imho they are the exception.

I also think Crosby has lost some leg power, with little wind issues he can boot it deep, against a breeze, not so much, in that regard it seems we opt for hang time and coverage, again going from memory I think we've had quite a few stops short of the 25, most though are probably stopped prior to the 30.
If it exists, I bet [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] can find that breakdown.

Brandon - is there data that shows Packers opponent average starting field position following a returned kickoff? To that point, what is the ST unit's standing in in the league on that measure?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

PFF's first impressions, The Bears managed 4 pressures, the Packers continue to impress with 25 pressures.

In the second-highest-scoring Chicago Bears–Green Bay Packers game of all time, Green Bay came from behind to beat Chicago yet again, this time 45-30.

Bears rookie quarterback Justin Fields finished the game with 224 passing yards, 74 rushing yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. Longtime Packers QB Aaron Rodgers passed for 341 yards and four touchdowns.

The Bears host the Minnesota Vikings next Monday night, while the Packers go out of conference to play the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday.

GREEN BAY PACKERS
Quarterback
Rodgers averaged 9.2 yards per attempt with an 82.9% adjusted completion percentage. He threw the ball in 2.54 seconds and 7.7 yards downfield on average.

Running Back
A.J. Dillon outpaced Aaron Jones with 15 carries to five, but Jones had a 7.0-yards per carry average while Dillon finished at 4.7. Dillon forced two missed tackles, but Jones was still a bigger focus in the passing game, catching all three of his targets for 30 yards and a touchdown.

Wide Receiver/Tight End
Davante Adams was the star again, catching 10 of his 13 targets for two touchdowns and 121 yards, with 61 yards coming after the catch.

Allen Lazard was targeted seven times on the day, catching six passes for 75 yards and a touchdown.

Offensive Line
The Packers' stout offensive line gave up just four pressures, according to PFF's first review of the game film. Yosh Nijman was the only one with multiple pressures given up, as he gave up two, including the line’s one sack.

Defensive Line
Preston Smith led the defensive line with six pressures and two sacks, while multiple linemen recorded at least four pressures.

Name Pressures Sacks
Preston Smith 6 2
Kenny Clark 6 0
Rashan Gary 5 0
Kinglsey Keke 4 0
Dean Lowry 4 0
Linebackers
De’Vondre Campbell tallied seven tackles against the run, including one tackle for loss. He was targeted seven times in coverage, giving up five catches for 66 yards and a touchdown.

Secondary
Rasul Douglas nabbed an interception and didn’t allow a catch on two targets. Chandon Sullivan had the other interception and allowed only one catch for 25 yards on four targets

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-14-ga ... o-bears-30

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
13 Dec 2021 10:46
Yoop wrote:
13 Dec 2021 10:32
I went to find data that would show Opponents rarely get past the 25 on returns, no luck, so I have to go by memory, obviously these long returns stand out, but imho they are the exception.

If it exists, I bet @Pckfn23 can find that breakdown.

Brandon - is there data that shows Packers opponent average starting field position following a returned kickoff? To that point, what is the ST unit's standing in in the league on that measure?
yes please, I'am terrible at researching for some of this data. :hail: