General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
15 Dec 2021 10:14
Not insignificant.

The Ravens want to win bad. But Cleveland looks to implode and they still have games against the Steelers and Bengals to help their cause. Rams won't be easy for them either. They would be smarter to rest Lamar for those games.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The no name backup for the ravens has looked pretty good in two appearances this year
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 10:47
The no name backup for the ravens has looked pretty good in two appearances this year
Huntley had a pretty good college career. Me and my Ravens fan buddy both liked him as a late round backup heading into that draft.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 11:55
that puts us on pace for 360 plus pressures, that is phenomenal imo.

I need to try and find league wide pressures by team, problem is PFF has a pay wall now as you know, and PFR doesn't do the pressures the same, typically much lower for some reason.

my old opinion of pass rush being negated because of the up tempo offensive schemes and quality pass protection has gone out the window these last few years, since Baltimore accounted for 40 plus % pressure on pass plays a few seasons back several teams have matched it, just as we hopefully will this year. :woohoo:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Dec 2021 14:08
PFR doesn't do the pressures the same, typically much lower for some reason.
:bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 14:13
Yoop wrote:
:bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :bkw: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom: :kaboom:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Dec 2021 14:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 14:13
Yoop wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I don't get it, it must be a inside joke, I try to comment in a positive manor, and this is the reaction :dunno:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
15 Dec 2021 14:47
I don't get it, it must be a inside joke, I try to comment in a positive manor, and this is the reaction :dunno:
No, sadly not an inside joke, just a painfully repetitive public joke I guess.

Off a quick search not including the last forum.

Yoop wrote:
20 Oct 2021 13:21
salmar80 wrote:
20 Oct 2021 11:38
PFR's oft-misunderstood "pressure" stat is simply hurries+knockdowns+sacks (almost).
almost is a subjective word :lol: I have almost zero faith that PFR gets the hurries right unless sports trac does the evaluating for them, and they've only been doing this stuff for 2 years.

my angst with all this is people here shooting down PFF grades, while not perfect, and don't always align with Lafluers explanations, there usually very close to what we hear from him, obviously they wont know exactly player assignments, no outsider would be balls on accurate concerning that stuff.

whatever, we don't have access to a ton of game and player evaluations, it's nice to have a varifiable reference to confirm what we watch, but for someone to bring in PFR to do that when it comes to pass rush isn't anything near conclusive at all, and how can they possibly give a player a pressure unless they are evaluating and grading that players performance, Sal do you see why this is confusing to me.
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 12:13
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 12:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 11:48

I didn't bring PFF grade for Gary only. I brought PFR pressure stats for both.

No one said PFRs 10 pressures for Gary has him ranked 9th. I have not looked up where his rank is on PFR.

I am sorry it doesn't make sense to you.
well how can Gary have 23 pressures and a 9th over all ranking (which seems about right to me), yet GPG just showed that he had just over 10 pressures total from the same sight (PFR)
Paco brought a twitter post showing PFF has Gary at 23 pressures, ranked 9th. Not something I brought. Also not the same place go pack go got 10 pressures, which was from PFR. The general public doesn't have access to PFF, thus we use PFR.

PFF and PFR don't evaluate and tally pressures the same. We have gone over this...
I looked for PFR grades today, but they don't come out till tomorrow, and often I've seen grades change with PFF from these instant grades we see this morning to when there consensus grades come out mid week.
PFR has their stats up today.
PFF also has their grades up today and have stated many times they rarely revise their grades. There is no "consensus" grades that come out mid week.
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 16:21
go pak go wrote:
14 Aug 2021 13:03
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 12:59

wha? I bet that Mathews is still better then anyone not named Smith or Gary, and Mathews is the one that emailed someone about wanting to play again for us, Rodgers and Cobb simply agreed they'd like him back.

you really hate that the FO caved in that Rodgers should have a voice in some personal decisions don't you? :rotf:
You really don't read. Like ever. Don't you. :rotf:
I read, but not well, next time use pictures please :rotf:

hey like I've told you, you sound like a porta john lawyer posing as a IRS agent ;)

PFF has 5 or so guys that over view all there interns, so everything is double and triple checked, so when you say they are simply more liberal with handing out hurries I tend to doubt that as much as I think PFR is simply a lot more stingy, I've seen big discrepancy's between them and other data reporting articles, as Branden or someone else mentioned PFR is pretty new, and PFF has been around for close to 2 decades, for the first couple years they where under staffed, but I don't think thats the case any more, I read somewhere that just about every nfl team buys there reports and most colleges too, if thats in fact true then that to me means they are reputable.

seriously now just look at the total pressure difference with Aaron Donalds PFF scores

🔹 2020 - Aaron Donald: 98
🔹 2019 - Za'Darius Smith: 93
🔹 2018 - Aaron Donald: 106
🔹 2017 - Aaron Donald: 91

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... l-ranking/

and PFR isn't even in the same ball park, they have Aarons best season as 70 total pressures, and only 45 for last year, thats a lot of liberality then from PFF, thats less then half the totals.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... naAa00.htm
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 12:09
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 11:48
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 11:36

then why do you bring PFF grades for Gary yet show PFR for Donald?

you pull this &%$@ all the time and all it does is confuse everyone!

so lets use PFR then, in what freaking universe is 30 plus total pressures a season considered even good for a edge rusher, you have him ranked 9th among all edge rushers this season with 23 rushes with PFF, yet you expect me to believe 10 total pressures has him ranked 9th with PFR? this doesn't even make sense. :idn:
I didn't bring PFF grade for Gary only. I brought PFR pressure stats for both.

No one said PFRs 10 pressures for Gary has him ranked 9th. I have not looked up where his rank is on PFR.

I am sorry it doesn't make sense to you.
well how can Gary have 23 pressures and a 9th over all ranking (which seems about right to me), yet GPG just showed that he had just over 10 pressures total from the same sight (PFR)

I looked for PFR grades today, but they don't come out till tomorrow, and often I've seen grades change with PFF from these instant grades we see this morning to when there consensus grades come out mid week.
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 14:40
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Aug 2021 14:27
Yoop wrote:
14 Aug 2021 14:18
my point is if your getting credit for a half sack then obviously it totals 1 pressure
Yes, and it does on Pro Football Reference as well.
sacks, hits and knock downs = total pressures, they tabulate this stuff differently then PFF,
No, PFF is more liberal with counting hurries. That's really the only different
if your already getting credit for a half sack, that is obviously a hurry, as well and also a hit, so simply add the 3 up and thats your total,
That's not how PFF does it. Why would a half sack count as 2.5 pressures? It's only 1 play... How can a defender pressure a QB 2.5 times in a single play?
PFR is also rewarding that half sack with another hurry, so complicated only a person like yourself would like it.
No, That is not the case. A sack or .5 sack is not counted as a hurry.
a sack is also a hurry, a hit is also a hurry, a knockdown is also a hurry, so when you total the 3 thats the total amount of hurries, PFR twist this up, it's comp0licated and doesn't need to be. :thwap:
Yoop wrote:
17 Nov 2020 13:10
go pak go wrote:
17 Nov 2020 11:54
2020:

Preston Smith - 4 Hurries. 3 QB Hits. 1.5 Sacks. 9 Total Pressures.
Zadarius Smith - 6 Hurries. 5 QB Hits. 8 Sacks. 19 Total Pressures.
Rashan Gary - 2 Hurries. 3 QB Hits. 2.5 Sacks. 8 Total Pressures.

Total = 12 Hurries. 11 Hits. 12 Sacks. 36 Pressures.

2019: (after 9 games)

Preston Smith - 9 Hurries. 5 QB Hits. 8 Sacks. 22 Total Pressures.
Zadarius Smith - 7 Hurries. 8 QB Hits. 8.5 Sacks. 24 Total Pressures.
Rashan Gary - 1 Hurry. 1 QB Hit. 1 Sack. 3 Total Pressures.
Kyler Fackrell - 2 Hurries. 2 QB Hits. .5 Sack. 5 Total Pressures.

Total = 18 Hurries. 16 Hits. 18 Sacks. 54 Pressures.
thanks, our pressures are down a 1/3rd, we all love the hits and sacks, but hurries are often just as affective, we got a pick Sunday due to a hurry, just making the QB re set and possibly move to another receiver is a successful pass rush to me.

I think some saw this coming, Gary would over take P. Smith, imo it's obvious he's much more athletic, has better feet and really just needed some coaching up and increased strength, it showed Sunday, and Prestine at times just looks weak, can't shed a block, I forget, I think it was the Bucs game, he was dominated for most of the game by a TE, I told my brother we should try and sign that TE lol, so ya, I would give Prestines money to resign Jones, orrrrr, I'd use it on a big DT

I remember reading that Z. Smith had somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 total pressures last year, I know there is a wide range when doing these pressure states, but these are so much different then I remember, I think my source last year was PFR and P.Smith was around 50 total, either way he hasn't looked anything like he did last season, neither does Z, Gary has made the leap.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

ok, wait, I remember glazing over last time this argument came up, but reading all of that back...

does PFF really give away hurries about three times more liberally than PFR? And that's the difference? That is a wild amount of discretion between the two!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Dec 2021 15:12
ok, wait, I remember glazing over last time this argument came up, but reading all of that back...

does PFF really give away hurries about three times more liberally than PFR? And that's the difference? That is a wild amount of discretion between the two!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
15 Dec 2021 15:12

Imo, and just guessing simply because the diff. gap from PFR to PFF is so large.

PFF counts all the hurries, as we know often there are multiple players getting pressure on any given play, my guess is PFR does not, they must count the first player to get pressure, sack or hit and thats it, thats the only thing I can think of for the numbers being so lop sided.

mnpackerbacker
Reactions:

Post by mnpackerbacker »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Dec 2021 11:55
And this is without Z.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Didn't see if anyone mentioned this signing. Seems like a good kid people think can be good. But what place does he have with us? Depth for the future assuming Patrick is gone next year? Insurance for now because Myers may not come back this season? :idn:
RIP JustJeff

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

paco wrote:
16 Dec 2021 07:22
Didn't see if anyone mentioned this signing. Seems like a good kid people think can be good. But what place does he have with us? Depth for the future assuming Patrick is gone next year? Insurance for now because Myers may not come back this season? :idn:
Center missed the D encroachment and didn't snap, somebody must have heard about it from AR. Wish AR would mention STs to them. :roll: :swear:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Cdragon wrote:
16 Dec 2021 07:43
paco wrote:
16 Dec 2021 07:22
Center missed the D encroachment and didn't snap, somebody must have heard about it from AR. Wish AR would mention STs to them. :roll: :swear:
7th rounder on the practice squad? Must have a momumental meaning for the future of the franchise. This move will either lift Gutey into HoF GM status or sink him once and for all. AR may stay with GB and give a big discount just because we now have Michel Menet. ;) :rotf:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Kenny Clark to the covid list