Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
01 Oct 2021 09:47
Yoop wrote:
01 Oct 2021 09:16
just guessing, on average 1 or 2 QB's per draft class play up to the slot they where drafted in, observation over the years, does every comment have to be geek tested here? I'll believe in Love when he's been a success starting some real games.
Funny choice of words. You're the one applying vague, made up statistics to QB success. I am the one saying evaluate each situation independently. Love has so many advantages in his situation compared to a lot of other guys, but hey, 1-in-5.
seriously NCF I don't know why you are so upbeat about this accept that it's better to have a positive outlook versus a negative one, I agree with that, but I'am just trying to insert a little rationality herre.

we are way over the cap, not only will we most likely lose Adams, but also a host of other quality starters in the next 2 or so years, just look how hard it's been for any team besides NE to repeat the last 20 years, or even for teams to just win one, we have a good coach and GM so anything is possible, just not as likely as most fans hope it will be, thats all I'am saying. :beer2:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
01 Oct 2021 09:51
NCF wrote:
01 Oct 2021 09:43
Yoop wrote:
anyone want to place a bet that we win a SB with Love?
Yes.
OK, a gentleman bet, or the go for the throat type title of your super nova with the 427 rat California racing engine type :rotf:

the odds of us winning a SB with Love have to astronomical.
Are you a Packers fan or just a Rodgers fan boy?

Were you saying the same thing when Rodgers was slotted to takeover for Favre?
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Oct 2021 09:58
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
just guessing, on average 1 or 2 QB's per draft class play up to the slot they where drafted in, observation over the years, does every comment have to be geek tested here? I'll believe in Love when he's been a success starting some real games.
Funny choice of words. You're the one applying vague, made up statistics to QB success. I am the one saying evaluate each situation independently. Love has so many advantages in his situation compared to a lot of other guys, but hey, 1-in-5.
seriously NCF I don't know why you are so upbeat about this accept that it's better to have a positive outlook versus a negative one, I agree with that, but I'am just trying to insert a little rationality herre.

we are way over the cap, not only will we most likely lose Adams, but also a host of other quality starters in the next 2 or so years, just look how hard it's been for any team besides NE to repeat the last 20 years, or even for teams to just win one, we have a good coach and GM so anything is possible, just not as likely as most fans hope it will be, thats all I'am saying. :beer2:
See when I look at the Packers and I see the amount of players we have under 25 years old, I am very, very excited for our future.

Cap issues can be solved in literally one year. 2022 is about laying foundations and seeing which young talent prospers. 2023 and 2024 is when we will have money, draft picks and fun.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Oct 2021 10:00
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

Yes.
OK, a gentleman bet, or the go for the throat type title of your super nova with the 427 rat California racing engine type :rotf:

pretty much, I've seen to many bust out over the years to just put blind faith in any QB, Love has looked pretty good, just as many do with a small sampling.

basically I'am a fan boy of all successful players, when Love proves to be successful I'll be a fan boy of him to.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Oct 2021 10:00
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

Yes.

If I remember right, you can pretty much copy and paste all of yoop's posts and click Replace of Rodgers with Favre and Love with Rodgers and you know what yoop was like in 2005 - 2008. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Oct 2021 10:08
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

See when I look at the Packers and I see the amount of players we have under 25 years old, I am very, very excited for our future.

Cap issues can be solved in literally one year. 2022 is about laying foundations and seeing which young talent prospers. 2023 and 2024 is when we will have money, draft picks and fun.
why do you keep saying cap issues can be repaired in 1 year, that has never been the case, not without cutting or trading away talent, when Ted got here it took him 3 years to fix the Joe Johnson debacle, and we never really recovered from the Dan Devine fiasco, history is not on your side GPG.
what did ya think of my bet scenerio with NCF, those old 427 rat motors where awesome :woohoo:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Oct 2021 10:15
go pak go wrote:
01 Oct 2021 10:08
Yoop wrote:

why do you keep saying cap issues can be repaired in 1 year, that has never been the case, not without cutting or trading away talent, when Ted got here it took him 3 years to fix the Joe Johnson debacle, and we never really recovered from the Dan Devine fiasco, history is not on your side GPG.
what did ya think of my bet scenerio with NCF, those old 427 rat motors where awesome :woohoo:
Because teams have to spend 90% of the cap as a minimum over a 3 - 4 year window and with the cap rising every year, you can quickly clear $40+ million of cap in one season since contracts are generally short term and the cap always goes up (until 2020)

Thompson did clear our cap issues in literally one season. 2005. What takes longer is "building and replacing" the players you lose but that will be easy too with Rodgers gone as long as his replacement is competent. We have his replacement and if we get some good draft picks we may start getting some Adams replacements as well.

Also, Thompson literally went from clearing the cap in 2005 to building a foundation in 2006 and having an elite team in 2007. It took him no time at all.

I think you are confusing the execution of player replacement and the actual execution of cleaning the books.

Just have 1 season of spending only $160 million in cap payroll and your cap is back to where it needs to be. As a reference, the Steelers only spent $138 million in 2020.

The biggest thing is just keep your expectations on the 2022 roster reasonable. Like no Preston Smith, Rodgers, Adams (that alone is already basically $60 million in savings). You can cut Z Smith if you need even more savings and feel like he isn't worth it anymore.

And the Dan Devine era literally has zero relevance to the current CBA and cap system. Zero.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yeah, any time doing a salary cap dump, it would be damn hard to get back to the same talent level in 1 year. But what you CAN do in 1 year is purge the bad elements of your cap and acquire young talent for the long term.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Our team in 3 years isn't really dependent upon our vets or our salary cap situation right now if we are changing QB.

It is going to be off that QB, being able to retain our young guys (if there are any worth it, definitely looking like it) and how we draft in the upcoming years.

Keep a few studs like Bak, Jenkins, Clark, Jaire, and Savage, have Love develop well, draft well, we will definitely be competitive.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
01 Oct 2021 12:53
Our team in 3 years isn't really dependent upon our vets or our salary cap situation right now if we are changing QB.

It is going to be off that QB, being able to retain our young guys (if there are any worth it, definitely looking like it) and how we draft in the upcoming years.

Keep a few studs like Bak, Jenkins, Clark, Jaire, and Savage, have Love develop well, draft well, we will definitely be competitive.
exactly
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
01 Oct 2021 13:38
BF004 wrote:
01 Oct 2021 12:53

exactly
Yep, it's all about opening the next window. Unfortunately, to do that most prudently, I really think you have to consider moving ahead without Davante and Z. Two guys I would love to keep in the short-term, but by the time the team is ready to transition fully into that next window, odds are heavy that those two are on the wrong end of the production to salary ratio.

Savage and Gary are going to be two very difficult decisions based on what they will cost to what they mean to us. Jaire and Jenkins are absolute no brainers and Bak and Clark are already done deals.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Absolutely should not be any kind of focus right now, but there is a very natural curiosity that I cannot get rid of as to where ARod might play next year, if not in Green Bay.

I see Pittsburgh has jumped out as a team to keep an eye on. I would bump this up the list of preferred destinations from the Packers standpoint because they wouldn't have to play against him until 2025 (unless in the Super Bowl).

One team I have not even seen hinted that I think is super viable is Seattle. West coast team. Russell Wilson was close to being moved this year.
Maybe in need of a reboot. Maybe Pete is out. Packers connections with Schneider. Maybe they can bring in a guy like Hackett. Maybe bring Davante along to pair with DK and Lockett. Just a lot to point to there that makes a ton of sense and no one is considering it as a possibility.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

well since where crystal ballering it :lol: I was thinking our T situation, with Nijman, and Jenkins looking pretty good at LT, how about shopping Bakh, as the best LT in the league rating he could draw a first and change, and we'd dump a big contract, course we have to see more of Nijman, another good test with TJ Watt this Sunday, have to pay attention to how much help he needs.

Savage is a must have player imo, same with Alexander, they bring to much to let go, in fact so is Clark and Z ( if he gets and stays healthy) best thing we can do for Love is give him a stout defense, well after of course giving him two young bonafide WR's to play catch with :lol:

I'am not much of a prognosticator, just don't think the FO will want to do a lot of rebuilding, and will want to stay competitive right through the QB switch, the two that seem obvious to go are AR and Adams, that would create some wiggle room, the cap would still be tight, but the team depending on Love could still compete to win the NFC

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Oct 2021 15:02
that would create some wiggle room, the cap would still be tight, but the team depending on Love could still compete to win the NFC
This is what I mean by "temper your expectations" :lol:

You really go all over the map in terms of this team is amazing to this team is garbage without 12 and 17.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Are there still people out there that think Favre was better than Rodgers? I loved Favre playing for us, don't get me wrong. But these numbers are mind-blowing.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think Rodgers is better than Favre, but it was very very different football being played. I mean look at all the passing leaders--especially any efficiency metrics like passer rating--all the best results come from the current era. Mahomes and Watson have the two best career passer ratings in NFL history (Rodgers is 3rd). Russel Wilson is 4th, I think. Kirk Cousins is top ten.

The yards are up, the TDs are up, and the INTs are down, across the league. Any great QB playing now will rack up numbers and stats better and faster than any great QB playing 20 years ago, which was also a true statement 20 years ago.

So yeah, I agree with you; but not because of any record-breaking stat differentials.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Time is going to tell, but I think Rodgers TD/INT ratio is still going to stand out to guys like Mahomes, Cousins, and all the new guys. It's definitely improving over guys like Favre, but Rodgers still is tops and has been so consistent. I think that's going to be some very hard numbers to beat over the course of a career as long as his. Someone may do it for a few years, but that's it.
RIP JustJeff

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

^ What YoHo said ^

When Favre was at his peak, throwing 28+ touchdowns and less than ~16 interceptions was a really, really good year.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
20 Dec 2021 12:34
Are there still people out there that think Favre was better than Rodgers? I loved Favre playing for us, don't get me wrong. But these numbers are mind-blowing.
Me. Without really trying, Favre instilled more passion and happiness (in both the entire Packers organization and its fan base) than anyone since Lombardi came to town. With me it's more about the glory and the team than the stats. I could say more but for I'll just leave it here.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Dec 2021 12:39
I think Rodgers is better than Favre, but it was very very different football being played. I mean look at all the passing leaders--especially any efficiency metrics like passer rating--all the best results come from the current era. Mahomes and Watson have the two best career passer ratings in NFL history (Rodgers is 3rd). Russel Wilson is 4th, I think. Kirk Cousins is top ten.

The yards are up, the TDs are up, and the INTs are down, across the league. Any great QB playing now will rack up numbers and stats better and faster than any great QB playing 20 years ago, which was also a true statement 20 years ago.

So yeah, I agree with you; but not because of any record-breaking stat differentials.
The 50th ranked player is a 1.51 td int ratio and the 20th ranked is a 2.01 - difference of 0.5

Rodgers has a 4.75 and is 0.86 ahead of 2nd - Mahomes at 3.89.

That is pretty nuts in terms of stat differential.