Aaron Freaking Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:23
Time is going to tell, but I think Rodgers TD/INT ratio is still going to stand out to guys like Mahomes, Cousins, and all the new guys. It's definitely improving over guys like Favre, but Rodgers still is tops and has been so consistent. I think that's going to be some very hard numbers to beat over the course of a career as long as his. Someone may do it for a few years, but that's it.
Yes, certainly to an extent. He is the best at something even among the new era, and so it will still stand out.

But even with things like that--INT percentage for instance--you look at the top seasons all time and almost all of the names are in bold at pro football reference (meaning they are currently-active players). Not as much as, say, completion percentage or yardage, or even as many as TD passes... but still most.

It's a combination of rules making it easier to pass and evolutions in coaching and style to maximize possessions and efficiency in the passing game rather than use the passing game as more of a lower-percentage shot at bigger plays to counter the more efficient-minded running game that manages down and distance. It's genuinely too different for me to meaningfully compare across eras based on stats alone, even though I love stats.

It's when statistical markers last well into the next era of play style that thing stand out, like Marino's early career in the 80s.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:35
paco wrote:
20 Dec 2021 12:34
Are there still people out there that think Favre was better than Rodgers? I loved Favre playing for us, don't get me wrong. But these numbers are mind-blowing.
Me. Without really trying, Favre instilled more passion and happiness (in both the entire Packers organization and its fan base) than anyone since Lombardi came to town. With me it's more about the glory and the team than the stats. I could say more but for I'll just leave it here.
That's just timing though. Yes, it happened, no doubt. But Favre came after a very long period of mediocre or worse teams. Rodgers took over during mostly very good times and success.

It means you can like Favre more for that. But not that he was a better QB.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:46
paco wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:23
Time is going to tell, but I think Rodgers TD/INT ratio is still going to stand out to guys like Mahomes, Cousins, and all the new guys. It's definitely improving over guys like Favre, but Rodgers still is tops and has been so consistent. I think that's going to be some very hard numbers to beat over the course of a career as long as his. Someone may do it for a few years, but that's it.
Yes, certainly to an extent. He is the best at something even among the new era, and so it will still stand out.

But even with things like that--INT percentage for instance--you look at the top seasons all time and almost all of the names are in bold at pro football reference (meaning they are currently-active players). Not as much as, say, completion percentage or yardage, or even as many as TD passes... but still most.

It's a combination of rules making it easier to pass and evolutions in coaching and style to maximize possessions and efficiency in the passing game rather than use the passing game as more of a lower-percentage shot at bigger plays to counter the more efficient-minded running game that manages down and distance. It's genuinely too different for me to meaningfully compare across eras based on stats alone, even though I love stats.

It's when statistical markers last well into the next era of play style that thing stand out, like Marino's early career in the 80s.
I agree on all points. Comparing any players across eras is an impossible and mostly a pointless task. I do think Rodgers is the type of player that probably would have success in Favre's era. Favre, not as much today, but would still be damn good. But so many factors to consider.

No right or wrong answers. My feeling is Rodgers has ultimately played the QB position better when I look at it. If people think Favre still, I can understand that, but may not agree.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:31
^ What YoHo said ^

When Favre was at his peak, throwing 28+ touchdowns and less than ~16 interceptions was a really, really good year.
agreed, as good as Favre was, Rodgers is so much better, he doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't gamble and fail near as often, I think Rodgers gets a bad rap simply because he's not as out going as Favre, now days unless your selling yourself constantly to social media outlets then your considered a bad apple.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The flip side of this conversation is that due to league rules and how QBs were allowed to be mangled and treated as football players...good chance Rodgers would be out of the league already due to injury history. Rodgers began his play in an era that was better for QBs that what Favre experienced, yet he was still allowed to be hit..and he had what...2 collar bone injuries, multiple leg ailments, and several pieces of metal inserted into his body?

Those things changed primarily due to Lafleur making him less of a Houdini/scheme...and league rules making touching him a penalty (like we saw yesterday)
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 13:58
The flip side of this conversation is that due to league rules and how QBs were allowed to be mangled and treated as football players...good chance Rodgers would be out of the league already due to injury history. Rodgers began his play in an era that was better for QBs that what Favre experienced, yet he was still allowed to be hit..and he had what...2 collar bone injuries, multiple leg ailments, and several pieces of metal inserted into his body?

Those things changed primarily due to Lafleur making him less of a Houdini/scheme...and league rules making touching him a penalty (like we saw yesterday)
You are 100% correct. Rodgers would have been out of the league with less than 3 seasons as a starter if he got hit as Farve did. Even so, he damn near was, remember the concussions before he got the new style helmet?

It is not fair to either Rodgers or Farve to judge them on stats. The only way that is fair is to judge them on results, playoff games, Super Bowls. And hopefully, this year, Rodgers will pass Farve.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Dec 2021 14:04
Drj820 wrote:

You are 100% correct. Rodgers would have been out of the league with less than 3 seasons as a starter if he got hit as Farve did. Even so, he damn near was, remember the concussions before he got the new style helmet?

It is not fair to either Rodgers or Farve to judge them on stats. The only way that is fair is to judge them on results, playoff games, Super Bowls. And hopefully, this year, Rodgers will pass Farve.
:aok: :aok: :aok: :aok: :aok:

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Can #12 still lose his MVP or is he a lock already?

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

As mentioned by everyone no stat translates well across eras and eye test is subjective.

In saying that Rodgers is the best but Favre still has my favorite game - Raiders game after his father passed away

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

German_Panzer wrote:
20 Dec 2021 15:05
They could steal it from him due to the COVID issue but on numbers/play he should win.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
Well ask yourself this question.

If the Packers end the season at 11-6 and the #4 seed with Rodgers not playing well would you vote him MVP?

Emotions on players change rather quick. Absolutely he can lose it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 14:16
TheSkeptic wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

blah, blah blah, Favre played in Holmgrens short version of the west coast offense, the goal back then was to get the ball out faster then the pass rush could get to Favre, coupled with a very good OL the system protected Favre just as Lafluers uptempo schemes protect Rodgers more now over McCarthys very time consuming stretch verticals which are responsible for most of the Injury's Rodgers has had.

both of these QB's could produce and play well in any system, Favre was considered the first Iron man of the live ball era,( which I've never really understood since there are at least a half doz other worthy QB's that took a pounding and kept on playing) but Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Marino, and what about Tarkington, that guy had blood staining his Jersey on a weekly basis, and Rodgers has played with Injury's as much as any of em.
Lots of people have a funny way of showing there appreciation for Rodgers, that guy has done more with less then most of the QB's I just mentioned.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2021 15:52
Drj820 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 14:16
TheSkeptic wrote:

blah, blah blah, Favre played in Holmgrens short version of the west coast offense, the goal back then was to get the ball out faster then the pass rush could get to Favre, coupled with a very good OL the system protected Favre just as Lafluers uptempo schemes protect Rodgers more now over McCarthys very time consuming stretch verticals which are responsible for most of the Injury's Rodgers has had.

both of these QB's could produce and play well in any system, Favre was considered the first Iron man of the live ball era,( which I've never really understood since there are at least a half doz other worthy QB's that took a pounding and kept on playing) but Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Marino, and what about Tarkington, that guy had blood staining his Jersey on a weekly basis, and Rodgers has played with Injury's as much as any of em.
Lots of people have a funny way of showing there appreciation for Rodgers, that guy has done more with less then most of the QB's I just mentioned.
Im glad you’ve forgiven Rodgers for only being immunized ;)

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

bud fox wrote:
20 Dec 2021 15:15
German_Panzer wrote:
They could steal it from him due to the COVID issue but on numbers/play he should win.
By play it is him or Taylor. But it is a QB award nowadays. But lots of bitter writers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
20 Dec 2021 19:41
bud fox wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:
By play it is him or Taylor. But it is a QB award nowadays. But lots of bitter writers.
Yeah i could totally see politics taking it from him if other factors are equal or even very close.

I really dont think Taylor is close to Rodgers tho.
1) hes a rb
2) i think their defense is actually what is carrying them.
3) carrying them to what..maybe a wildcard? Not like they are a 10 win team.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 23:11
Amazing stat

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Add Favre's stat in there and it will probably look surreal. ;)

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I wish there were a QB stat for 3-and-punt because he overthrew his open receiver on 1st down and threw the ball away on 2nd.

Say what you want about Favre but he seldom threw the ball away.

Hypothetically what is the difference between an interception on a 20 yard pass and a punt for 45 yards that nets 20 yards because out ST's can't cover?

I mean, its not like AR does not know that putting the ball into the hands of the ST is not a good idea this season.

Personally think AR is having a good season. But not MVP. An MVP does not miss Lazard twice with the game on the line. An MVP does not get outplayed by Hundley and Cousins and whats-his-name in New Orleans.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Dec 2021 19:44
wallyuwl wrote:
20 Dec 2021 19:41
bud fox wrote:

Yeah i could totally see politics taking it from him if other factors are equal or even very close.

I really dont think Taylor is close to Rodgers tho.
1) hes a rb
2) i think their defense is actually what is carrying them.
3) carrying them to what..maybe a wildcard? Not like they are a 10 win team.
Have you seen the Colts QB play? The only reason they score any points is because of Taylor. Also, you can kind of take #2 the opposite way. Taylor's effectiveness is making their defense look better than it really is. I do agree though that the league MVP has become a QB award.