Rank the Roster 2020: #10

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 12 May 2020 09:47

Adrian Amos
41%
Corey Linsley
6%
Darnell Savage
6%
Kevin King
47%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 17

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, I'm going to start considering Kirksey very soon. He's a starter, he's better than Martinez when healthy, and his question mark--availability--isn't much worse than what we're talking about with King. Sure, the last two seasons were rough, but he played healthy football for 3 or 4 seasons before that. He's shown it, full-time.

If we believe that his body has broken down now, then the injuries are a huge concern. But if we believe they were anomalies, as MOST injuries are, then he'll be very good.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i decided to go King for this reason: Every time King goes out, there is a massive drop off in how good our D is because CB3 is so weak. There would probably be a drop off too with Amos out, but I do not think it would be as dramatic.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
11 May 2020 13:05
i decided to go King for this reason: Every time King goes out, there is a massive drop off in how good our D is because CB3 is so weak. There would probably be a drop off too with Amos out, but I do not think it would be as dramatic.
It'll be interesting to see how the defense adjusts if CB1 or CB2 is injured. On paper we are deep.

I can't imagine a world where Sullivan doesn't get the nickle spot (unless they seriously try Jackson unseating Sullivan). But who plays outside if Alexander or King miss a game? Will Sullivan go outside? Or will it be Jackson/Hollman?

I'm not closing the door on Jackson this year. It sounds like his injury hampered him more in training camp than what it appeared and that could have impacted his play time during the season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 May 2020 12:54
Also, I'm going to start considering Kirksey very soon.
Me too, but I don't think I can before Amos, Linsley, King, & Savage. Not sure there will be a clear tier line, but rather a pretty big cluster here and I think Kirksey is in it.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
11 May 2020 13:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 May 2020 12:54
Also, I'm going to start considering Kirksey very soon.
Me too, but I don't think I can before Amos, Linsley, King, & Savage. Not sure there will be a clear tier line, but rather a pretty big cluster here and I think Kirksey is in it.
I'd consider him along with Savage and King. Both Savage and King involve projected development (which is fine). Kirksey involves projected health. Kirksey's 3rd and 4th seasons in the league were better season than I've yet seen from Savage and King. And he has experience (rookie and sophomore seasons) with Pettine, so there is less speculation among the coaches as to how he fits than a typical free agent.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
11 May 2020 13:10
Drj820 wrote:
11 May 2020 13:05
It'll be interesting to see how the defense adjusts if CB1 or CB2 is injured. On paper we are deep.

I can't imagine a world where Sullivan doesn't get the nickle spot (unless they seriously try Jackson unseating Sullivan). But who plays outside if Alexander or King miss a game? Will Sullivan go outside? Or will it be Jackson/Hollman?

I'm not closing the door on Jackson this year. It sounds like his injury hampered him more in training camp than what it appeared and that could have impacted his play time during the season.
I feel like in the past that has been something that affects our team more than most. We usually have a pretty strong starting unit on O and D, but as soon as the inevitable injuries come it affects us more than most because our depth has been just horrible last decade or so.

I give Gutey credit for improving this. Its true we did have good injury luck this past year, but i feel like the bottom of the roster has really improved and people can step in a little more than they could in the past. Not sure about outside CB3 though. Seems a little scary.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I GREATLY prefer that we move Jackson to the outside on a fuller-time basis. Jackson and King both seem far more suited to the outside, unless you're matching King on an athletic TE, which happens occasionally.

Depending on the matchup, having Alexander move inside and someone else come in outside is a perfectly acceptable outcome, as well. Having inside/outside ability is supposed to pay off in situations like that. It'll be interesting to see what Hollman, Jackson, and especially Sullivan have to offer this year. I like a couple UDFAs at the position, too (as I tend to do). Plus, again depending on matchup, we have some safeties who can play inside, also.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 May 2020 13:52
I GREATLY prefer that we move Jackson to the outside on a fuller-time basis.
... outside Green Bay, you mean? I approve. :thumbr:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's between King and Linsley to me. Linsley is not flashy but rock-solid and mans an important role on a good OL unit. Not unlike the argument for Amos but C > SS in my eyes.

King has the talent to take on any team's WR1, and the defense is notably better with him in. Getting beat happens to all of them, so I am not gonna ding him too much on that. It's the injuries, though.

I am content to rank our ol' faithful C at the last Top-10 spot and put the guy with Top-5 talent at a key position juuust outside of it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

There’s no way people are seriously considering pan fried noodles over Amos.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I don’t think King should be voted here. When he’s on he’s pretty good. No problem with him. When he is bad he is really bad. Like teams focus in on targeting him and at times when teams did that they had huge plays off of King.

Amos on the other hand I can’t say any team tried to take advantage of him or focused in on his limitations because he really doesn’t have any.

King took on a lot of teams #2s regardless in size. Alexander was getting the better matchups. Amos did a lot to cover up for Savages mistakes and when he was out the limitations of the backups. Amos was as consistent as it comes throughout the season. Can’t say the same for King.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If you look at the game by game stats I posted on the first page comparing Alexander to King, you will see the following:

Games in 2019 with 75 or more yards allowed:

Alexander 3 games: given up total 406 yards (would have been more if Amari Cooper didn't drop an easy TD which instead led to an Alexander deflection INT)

King 3 games: given up total 378 yards. One of these bad games was against DJ Moor of which found a few receptions by finding soft spots in the zone but albiet King still didn't disrupt Moore's routes well enough.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Someone mentioned that the D drops way off when King goes out. Luckily we did not see Amos go out, he started all 16 games. I fear that if he does get hurt, the D will be worse without him than it would be without King. I voted for Amos. He is not as flashy but he is better.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
11 May 2020 22:39
If you look at the game by game stats I posted on the first page comparing Alexander to King, you will see the following:

Alexander 3 games: given up total 406 yards (would have been more if Amari Cooper didn't drop an easy TD which instead led to an Alexander deflection INT)

King 3 games: given up total 378 yards. One of these bad games was against DJ Moor of which found a few receptions by finding soft spots in the zone but albiet King still didn't disrupt Moore's routes well enough.
Unsure of the goal of this information :dunno:

So Alexander had better numbers overall; you took each of their 3 worst games and they're... comparably bad, but Alexander's are a little worse? And they were against better WRs? So that means in the other 13 games, Alexander was even better. Cool.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Amos with a historic late surge

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
12 May 2020 10:30
Amos with a historic late surge
But not enough, apparently.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 May 2020 10:06
go pak go wrote:
11 May 2020 22:39

Unsure of the goal of this information :dunno:

So Alexander had better numbers overall; you took each of their 3 worst games and they're... comparably bad, but Alexander's are a little worse? And they were against better WRs? So that means in the other 13 games, Alexander was even better. Cool.
That post was in regards to this.
lupedafiasco wrote:
11 May 2020 21:01
I don’t think King should be voted here. When he’s on he’s pretty good. No problem with him. When he is bad he is really bad. Like teams focus in on targeting him and at times when teams did that they had huge plays off of King.
There are basically 3 arguments to why people hate King here:

1. Availability: Sure I can support this at this point.
2. When he sucks he's really bad: I agree. But King is no worse than anyone else on our defense. King wasn't bad anymore times than Alexander from a quantity or quality standpoint....which is why I brought that up using 75 yards as the threshold for a bad game. Both had 3 bad games. Both gave up similar production. King also allowed fewer TDs and provided more turnovers (King 5 INTs and Alexander 2 INTs)
3. King takes the easy WRs. I also disagree with this to a degree. King and Alexander both take on the 1's and 2's.

For those who hate King but love Alexander I just don't really get it. Their production last year was really close. Both had highs and both had lows. We maybe go 0-2 vs MN if Kevin King doesn't get sorely needed interceptions. And we potentially lose to Dallas if Alexander isn't bailed out with a horrible drop by Amari Cooper on the opening drive that completely changes momentum.

So if Alexander is the bar, King deserves to be right behind him.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

well, since you explained it like that, I'am going Alexander :lol: just for spite. :lol: King &%$@ the bed whenever he has to deal quick twitchy receivers, and only is stuck covering them when the opposing teams has two receivers with great cod skills, because imho that is Kings weak point, he simply takes forever to recover when re directed, and thats when receivers get that step of separation, it's why we all voted for Alexander 5 picks back, just my opinion.

this one is really close, Amos had 80 tackles, 5 PD's and is possibly a better safety then King is a corner, however the position trumps a close battle between these two, so I've got to go with King.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
12 May 2020 11:09
That post was in regards to this.
lupedafiasco wrote:
11 May 2020 21:01
There are basically 3 arguments to why people hate King here:

1. Availability: Sure I can support this at this point.
2. When he sucks he's really bad: I agree. But King is no worse than anyone else on our defense. King wasn't bad anymore times than Alexander from a quantity or quality standpoint....which is why I brought that up using 75 yards as the threshold for a bad game. Both had 3 bad games. Both gave up similar production. King also allowed fewer TDs and provided more turnovers (King 5 INTs and Alexander 2 INTs)
3. King takes the easy WRs. I also disagree with this to a degree. King and Alexander both take on the 1's and 2's.

For those who hate King but love Alexander I just don't really get it. Their production last year was really close. Both had highs and both had lows. We maybe go 0-2 vs MN if Kevin King doesn't get sorely needed interceptions. And we potentially lose to Dallas if Alexander isn't bailed out with a horrible drop by Amari Cooper on the opening drive that completely changes momentum.

So if Alexander is the bar, King deserves to be right behind him.
Thanks for referencing the post it responded to; makes sense.

I love Alexander, but recognize he still has a step or two to take. I don't at all dislike King; I just don't understand the vast respect for him and thought that health is his only detriment. His play is fine with flashes, but your own analytics showed he's a clear step behind Alexander in results.

It's perfectly acceptable to posit that there are players on our team whose capabilities lie between Alexander's and King's. Nothing you've shown seems to indicate that they are so neck-and-neck as to eliminate breathing room between the two.