Here's Johnny!! (An unkindness of Ravens) BAL Wk15

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Dec 2021 09:59
Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2021 09:54
no one has remarked about Gary, probably because he gave up a big run and didn't contain Huntley, but he still provided pressure, Huntley simply alluded it, I bet he forced Huntley to scramble a half dozen times or more.
From the stadium view, man, Gary was destroying the OL in front of him time and time again and that kid just could NOT get his hands on Huntley. He was running circles around him. Gary is a great athlete and gave great effort and must've had the most frustrating game of his career. He crushed the OT with speed, with power, with inside moves, with outside moves. And just couldn't finish. It was nuts. He tried to come off the field he was so gassed but then it was 4th down and the Ravens were going for it so he came back on.
QBs that run around like that must drive pass rushers nuts.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Pugger wrote:
21 Dec 2021 09:21
YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Dec 2021 09:59
Yoop wrote:
20 Dec 2021 09:54
no one has remarked about Gary, probably because he gave up a big run and didn't contain Huntley, but he still provided pressure, Huntley simply alluded it, I bet he forced Huntley to scramble a half dozen times or more.
From the stadium view, man, Gary was destroying the OL in front of him time and time again and that kid just could NOT get his hands on Huntley. He was running circles around him. Gary is a great athlete and gave great effort and must've had the most frustrating game of his career. He crushed the OT with speed, with power, with inside moves, with outside moves. And just couldn't finish. It was nuts. He tried to come off the field he was so gassed but then it was 4th down and the Ravens were going for it so he came back on.
QBs that run around like that must drive pass rushers nuts.
This seems like it should be somewhat academic with mobile quarterbacks like this. It's not like we haven't had our lunch handed to us a number of times in the not too distant past with this. To me, this is coaching, not a deficiency on the part of the player.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lulu wrote:
22 Dec 2021 11:04
This seems like it should be somewhat academic with mobile quarterbacks like this. It's not like we haven't had our lunch handed to us a number of times in the not too distant past with this. To me, this is coaching, not a deficiency on the part of the player.
This is an aging, recycled narrative that doesn't hold water anymore. We're so scarred by things that went wrong under Capers and/or Pettine that we're still looking for signs of trouble with mobile QBs despite completely dominating Wilson, Mahomes, and Murray in a 3-week stretch just, like, 6 weeks ago.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Dec 2021 11:47
lulu wrote:
This is an aging, recycled narrative that doesn't hold water anymore. We're so scarred by things that went wrong under Capers and/or Pettine that we're still looking for signs of trouble with mobile QBs despite completely dominating Wilson, Mahomes, and Murray in a 3-week stretch just, like, 6 weeks ago.
It was disconcerting though that after the first half we let Huntley run all over us. We had done well all season up to that point.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
lulu wrote:
But, now, Fields and Huntley, there is a trend going in the other direction and that ignores the earlier season struggle with Jared Goff. I tend to believe that part of this is the focus of the defense. We're just not going to lose games where Jared Goff is the other teams leading rusher.

To me, it's not a question of can we stop it, but why we chose not to make it a bigger defensive emphasis the past few weeks when it was fully expected these QB's would try to win with their legs. Specifically, against Baltimore, I do not understand why we were so passive in coverage. Certainly that passiveness in the back end limits what you can do, schematically, to stop QB runs. Actually, a lot of our four man pressures had pretty decent contain, but Huntley still broke through.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I forgot about Fields, good call.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

YoHoChecko wrote:
lulu wrote:
The point is we failed. Containing a mobile quarterback, particularly a rookie, should be job #1. This game should not have come down to the final play.