Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I do read only that he loves his teammates. That is his mantra. No blame there, it's just that his teammates do not pay him and usually you sing the song of your deliverer. It is that kind of a mental middle finger towards the management that tells me he still got some beef with them.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I think it was the Bears game near the end when the Packers had to decide to either kick a field goal, to go up by 2 scores, or go for it on 4th down. Rodgers was talking to Lafleur on the sideline. I swear to God Lafleur ended one of his sentences with “if you want”. The coach kept talking and Rodgers finally nodded and put his hand up in acknowledgment and walked onto the sideline. Rewatch if you don’t believe me.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before. Basically asking permission from your QB to kick the FG. Is LaFleur really that egoless? Does he really practice TQM management to that extent?

Or does he deep inside want to move on from Rodgers so he doesn’t have to deal with the drama anymore. LaFleur is a players coach so maybe he doesn’t mind. It’s hard to tell. I guess we’ll find out after the end of the season.
Love is the answer…

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Foosball wrote:
22 Dec 2021 19:34
I think it was the Bears game near the end when the Packers had to decide to either kick a field goal, to go up by 2 scores, or go for it on 4th down. Rodgers was talking to Lafleur on the sideline. I swear to God Lafleur ended one of his sentences with “if you want”. The coach kept talking and Rodgers finally nodded and put his hand up in acknowledgment and walked onto the sideline. Rewatch if you don’t believe me.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before. Basically asking permission from your QB to kick the FG. Is LaFleur really that egoless? Does he really practice TQM management to that extent?

Or does he deep inside want to move on from Rodgers so he doesn’t have to deal with the drama anymore. LaFleur is a players coach so maybe he doesn’t mind. It’s hard to tell. I guess we’ll find out after the end of the season.
I think that's just par for the course when you have a guy like Rodgers (or Brady, Brees, Manning, etc.) Wouldn't you debate it with your All-Pro field general? Plus, by involving Rodgers in the decision-making process, it effectively becomes their decision.

LaFleur seems to be a good manager of people, he'd probably make a good diplomat.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
22 Dec 2021 19:34

It happens regularly, any coach that doesn't talk strategy during the game with his all pro QB is a fool Foosball, it's why so many QB's are called Field Generals, Lombardi did it with Starr, Holmgren did it with Favre, and both McCarthy and Lafluer do it with Rodgers, coaches rely on there opinion, two heads are al most always better then one as long as the goal is to win versus ego padding.

and the part about asking permission is way over blown and you know it, we all know that Lafluer makes these decisions, but he does so after garnering every ounce of info he can from not only Rodgers but also plenty of other players and coaches, I for one think Rodgers relations with Matt these last couple years is as good as any coach/player relationship I can remember.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

The Ice Bowl

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Duh, yes coaches constantly converse with their QBs on what play to call. Even the options of going for it on 4th down. Then the coach makes the call not the QB.

But I’ve never seen a coach leave the decision up to the QB. Although I wish LaFleur had done so in the championship game last year.

And no, I don’t think Belichick or Bruce Arians asks if it’s ok with Brady whether they kick a FG. Discuss it with him? Maybe, but the coach makes the decision.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You're making an assumption. You have no idea if he "asked permission" or not...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Foosball wrote:
23 Dec 2021 19:28
Duh, yes coaches constantly converse with their QBs on what play to call. Even the options of going for it on 4th down. Then the coach makes the call not the QB.

But I’ve never seen a coach leave the decision up to the QB. Although I wish LaFleur had done so in the championship game last year.

And no, I don’t think Belichick or Bruce Arians asks if it’s ok with Brady whether they kick a FG. Discuss it with him? Maybe, but the coach makes the decision.
and you don't know if that happened in this instance either, your guessing about something you think may have happened, I can't tell if your beef is with Rodgers or Lafluer.

Duh, just perhaps it was a mutual agreement.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Dec 2021 21:24
You're making an assumption. You have no idea if he "asked permission" or not...
Go back and watch it. Lafleur clearly says “if you want”.

I’m not a lip reader but I play one on Packer forums.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Foosball wrote:
24 Dec 2021 21:10
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Dec 2021 21:24
Go back and watch it. Lafleur clearly says “if you want”.

I’m not a lip reader but I play one on Packer forums.
Great, "if you want." There is almost literally zero contexts there...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Didn't I have a sig bet or something with somebody earlier this year about Rodgers returning?

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Rodgers clearly loves his teammates but a good number of them will almost certainly be gone next year.

Cobb has a 7m cap hit. MVS and Tonyan will get better offers on the open market. Devante may also choose to hit the free agency jackpot and we will struggle to tag him due to our cap constraints. His mates Crosby and Mercedes may need to be cut for cheaper replacements.

On D we almost certainly need to cut Z and probably Preston just to reach the start of the league year under the salary cap. Rasul and Devondre may have played themselves into a better contract than we can afford.

Even if Rodgers signs a team friendly deal many of his guys are gone and the D and WR corps will need rebuilding.

Rodgers and Devante tweeted about The Last Dance for a reason. Gute went all in this year to extend the window. Next year we probably have to take our medicine.

Rodgers could sign with Miami or Denver who could not only pay him more than us, but also sign Devante, MVS and Cobb. He would get the Brady treatment. The Packers can't offer him that, even if they wanted to.

I'd be happy for him to stay but I think this is why he's getting emotional. He suspects this is his last dance in Green Bay. At least he's making the most of it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

British wrote:
28 Dec 2021 20:57
Rodgers clearly loves his teammates but a good number of them will almost certainly be gone next year.

Cobb has a 7m cap hit. MVS and Tonyan will get better offers on the open market. Devante may also choose to hit the free agency jackpot and we will struggle to tag him due to our cap constraints. His mates Crosby and Mercedes may need to be cut for cheaper replacements.

On D we almost certainly need to cut Z and probably Preston just to reach the start of the league year under the salary cap. Rasul and Devondre may have played themselves into a better contract than we can afford.

Even if Rodgers signs a team friendly deal many of his guys are gone and the D and WR corps will need rebuilding.

Rodgers and Devante tweeted about The Last Dance for a reason. Gute went all in this year to extend the window. Next year we probably have to take our medicine.

Rodgers could sign with Miami or Denver who could not only pay him more than us, but also sign Devante, MVS and Cobb. He would get the Brady treatment. The Packers can't offer him that, even if they wanted to.

I'd be happy for him to stay but I think this is why he's getting emotional. He suspects this is his last dance in Green Bay. At least he's making the most of it.
The Packers do not need to do most of those things if they get rid of Rodgers' contract by trading him. If they restructure it they just postpone the problem 1 year. The fact is, there is no way the Packers can afford Rodgers without decimating the rest of the team.

With Rodgers un-restructured
Adams No way
Tonyan No way
MVS No way
Sullivan No way
Patrick No way
Campbell No way
R Douglas No way
Cobb No way
Z maybe either Z or Preston
Preston maybe not both
Crosby No way
Nijman No way
Turner No way
Lancaster No way
ESB Maybe
Burks Probably not

Without Rodgers

Adams Maybe
Tonyan Yes
MVS Maybe, they will keep either Adams or MVS
Sullivan Maybe
Patrick Maybe
Campbell Yes
R Douglas Yes
Cobb probably not
Z Yes
Preston Maybe
Crosby Maybe
Nijman Yes
Turner Maybe
Lancaster Maybe
ESB Yes
Burks Maybe

In addition there is a long list of young players on the roster and on the PS, including Benkert. The Packers can't afford more than 1 or 2 2nd round tenders.

Now, supposing that the Packers resturcture Rodgers. This means that after next year's season they have the same problem, except that they lose both Jaire and Jenkins and probably another 2 starters.

The plain fact is that this is the Packer's season. Now or never! They are not going to the SB next season with Rodgers but half the good players gone - Hell, they are going to be a below 50% team and miss the playoffs. Nor are they likely to make it to the SB with Love and those good players under contract - But they have an outside chance of making the playoffs. But the year after, if Love is even a slightly below average NFL QB, they are likely to contend for the SB. Keep Rodgers and the Packers become the doormat of the NFL North for 5 years while they rebuild. Keep Rodgers and the Packers very well may be the 1980's Packers, 15 years looking up and seeing the Vikings, Bears and even the Lions.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

The rebuild approach with Love has to be considered, not least because I think Rodgers knows his best chance of winning from '23 is elsewhere.

On the Rodgers restructure, I don't think it would be a one year thing that leaves us in the same place a year from now, it would be a total break from Jordan Love and a full 4+ year commitment to Rodgers. That's the only way Rodgers would avoid being a 'lame duck' QB and it would also be the only way of spreading the money out into the future. In that scenario the Packers would likely trade Love for whatever they could get for him.

Sadly there will need to be some roster deconstruction even if we trade Rodgers because we're currently way over the salary cap for 2022. Just to get under it for the start of the league year (before trades can happen) we're going to need to cut Zadarius and Cobb and restructure or cut Preston.

Realistically we're all in this year and 2022 will be a rebuild, with or without Rodgers.

Ken is good on this stuff.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Free agents. Which appears to be excluding Rasul Douglas.

image.png
image.png (60.58 KiB) Viewed 380 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

2022 contracts. Take the 2022 cap hit - dead money for maximum potential savings.

image.png
image.png (121.48 KiB) Viewed 377 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm just not ready to jump into cap ramifications for future years until we get through this delight of a season we're having...

but I'm sure they can make a lot of things work; and I'm sure they're going to have to make a lot of tricky/tough decisions.

The key will be locking up our young core group of pro bowl and potential pro bowl talents with enough room to keep enough of a veteran presence to keep the locker room in good shape in a year of massive change.

Rasul's success--especially by way of highlight-worthy, big-impact INTs and pick-6s, is really going to price him up. A young pro bowl alternate at CB? That's big money. Otherwise I would LOVE to put Rasul, Jaire, and Stokes together for the next 3 years.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

37-38 million from both Smiths and Cobb and Mason.

Extend Jaire and Amos, could maybe get you another 10.

Man, Davante, MVS, Cobb a likely cut, Lazard an RFA no guarantee back.

Gunna be the Amari Rodgers and Malik Taylor show next year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Dec 2021 09:47
I'm just not ready to jump into cap ramifications for future years until we get through this delight of a season we're having...

but I'm sure they can make a lot of things work; and I'm sure they're going to have to make a lot of tricky/tough decisions.

The key will be locking up our young core group of pro bowl and potential pro bowl talents with enough room to keep enough of a veteran presence to keep the locker room in good shape in a year of massive change.

Rasul's success--especially by way of highlight-worthy, big-impact INTs and pick-6s, is really going to price him up. A young pro bowl alternate at CB? That's big money. Otherwise I would LOVE to put Rasul, Jaire, and Stokes together for the next 3 years.
I love all the offseason stuff, so that never pulls away from this seasonal delight. If anything, really looking at next year is really making try to take this season more for granted than most. Been a really really long time since we've honestly been thinking about a QB change.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

To clarify, I'm fine with thinking about it. I really meant to dig into exactly what moves we can/should make, who will be here, who will be gone, who can be extended versus released, what the caps look like for 2023 and beyond (which I am still VERY bullish on; they set a maximum this year, which means there is likely excess from the new tv terms--just like how they set a minimum to put a floor on the covid revenue losses the prior year--so they're probably trying to pace the spread of the increases rather than take it all as a lump sum)

So yeah, by all means, think and chat about it. I just commented mostly to say that I have no details to contribute until later.