Rank the Roster 2020: #10

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 12 May 2020 09:47

Adrian Amos
41%
Corey Linsley
6%
Darnell Savage
6%
Kevin King
47%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Jamaal Williams
No votes
Billy Turner
No votes
Rick Wagner
No votes
Alan Lazard
No votes
Devin Funchess
No votes
Dean Lowry
No votes
Christian Kirksey
No votes
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
Rashan Gary
No votes
AJ Dillon
No votes

Total votes: 17

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Seriously?

Yards Allowed:
Alexander: 817
King: 815

Pass Break Ups:
Alexander: 17
King: 13

Interceptions:
Alexander: 2
King: 5

Touchdowns Allowed:
Alexander: 5
King: 4

Passer Rating Allowed:
Alexander: 95.6
King: 99.6

I'm not seeing this gap between the two.

And I didn't vote King before 10. I think 3 is perfectly okay space between the two. And others agree which is why King will likely fall between 10 and 11.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
12 May 2020 12:55
Seriously?

Yards Allowed:

Pass Break Ups:

Interceptions:

Touchdowns Allowed:

Passer Rating Allowed:

Someone coming it at number 10 on this list from a 13-3 team is no slander. You are acting like the gap is miles. Injury history alone could easily justify the gap.

But Yoop said it pretty well. King has a style he can defend pretty well against, and a style he struggles against. The coaches work to get him in matchups that are against styles that he covers pretty well against.

I dont think they think at all about who alexander covers. He is the number one CB and he covers the opponents number one WR, no matter what the WRs style is. That again will justify the gap in the ranking.

Keep in mind i say this as someone who is voting King over Amos, no hater of King. I just think they are pretty appropriately ranked.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

yep, stats will never tell the true story here GPG, but thanks for bringing them.

to me it's nearly like night and day, Jaire does almost everything better then King, much better Cod skills enables him to play in and out, man, zone, once it all comes together he'll be considered one of the best corners in the league, but thats not to say King hasn't played very well, he has, and we should expect more of it, hopefully he can stay healthy, finally we have two quality boundry CB's again, Sullivan looks like he wants that nickle job

King, Amos, Linsley, thats a pretty good doz.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I said the advanced metrics that you, yourself posted.

Alexander:
image.png
image.png (276.16 KiB) Viewed 304 times
King:
image.png
image.png (275.69 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Your reaction:
go pak go wrote:
11 May 2020 11:48
I guess looking at these advanced stats Alexander does deserve to be ahead of King.
My comment:
YoHoChecko wrote:
12 May 2020 12:12
I don't at all dislike King; I just don't understand the vast respect for him and thought that health is his only detriment. His play is fine with flashes, but your own analytics showed he's a clear step behind Alexander in results.

It's perfectly acceptable to posit that there are players on our team whose capabilities lie between Alexander's and King's. Nothing you've shown seems to indicate that they are so neck-and-neck as to eliminate breathing room between the two.
Your reaction, followed by more conventional stats:
go pak go wrote:
Seriously?
:idn:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't think King's lowlights really have much to do with style WR across from him. One of his best games as a pro was against 49ers' Marquis Goodwin last year (Goodwin was gashing us, but not against King's coverage) because yeah, he may not be fast or twitchy but he's not slow and has the size/length to make up the disadvantage. OTOH some of his worst play has come against Lions' Marvin Jones despite being able to match up well with him on paper.

He needs to get more consistent and refined. Apart from that, though, even the best corners get beat.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
Seriously?

Yards Allowed:

Pass Break Ups:

Interceptions:

Touchdowns Allowed:

Passer Rating Allowed:

And I didn't vote King before 10. I think 3 is perfectly okay space between the two. And others agree which is why King will likely fall between 10 and 11.
Stats are misleading considering one covers other teams best WR while the other takes on whomever the other boundary WR in front of him is. Alexander is also more versatile being able to play inside or outside. King is 2 or 3 spots too high IMO. Not sure what the board is thinking here.

Picking King here though isnt nearly as bad as the person who picked Savage. That just makes no sense to take Savage over Amos. Savage looked ok in coverage. He was absolutely horrendous vs the run. Bad angles, barreled over, didnt look very physical. Cant have that happen when you are the last line of defense. This vote is very disrespectful. My only thought is they meant to click Amos, missed and didnt realize it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We did not shadow much this past season, some, but not much.

Oh no! Not 2 to 3 spots too high. The insanity! The horror! The nerve!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Rodgers is also 2-3 spots too high. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 May 2020 18:30
King is 2 or 3 spots too high IMO.
I agree. The degree of victory shows the board was pretty split on Amos and King, though, so, whatever. They are right on par, but I would have Linsley ahead of King, as well.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I put Kirksey and King on the same level. The "oh but for their health" and the "if they play at their peaks consistently, look out" and the "for all their athleticism and talent, their top-level play has been 'very good,' not 'elite'"

That's a debate I was ready to have, but King is already gone, so I guess I'll have to wait.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 May 2020 08:57
I put Kirksey and King on the same level. The "oh but for their health" and the "if they play at their peaks consistently, look out" and the "for all their athleticism and talent, their top-level play has been 'very good,' not 'elite'"

That's a debate I was ready to have, but King is already gone, so I guess I'll have to wait.
For me, it's more of a "what have you done lately" scenario and provable production. Kirksey's last good season being 2017 dings him for me (compared to King) and I don't believe his best was as good as King's best, thus far.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:06
For me, it's more of a "what have you done lately" scenario and provable production. Kirksey's last good season being 2017 dings him for me (compared to King) and I don't believe his best was as good as King's best, thus far.
The "what have you done for me lately" makes sense if the player was older or the injuries thought to e permanently debilitating. But the dude is 27 years old and we're writing him off like he's 31 and had two injuries.

As for the highs being as high--it depends. Are we talking about his highs as in a single great game? Or his highs as in, like their best season--their best half season. I mean, this is a guy who in 2018 had 5 passes defensed in the 7 games he played prior to injury... that's very good for a LB.

But you look at a guy who in 2016 and 2017 was making TFL and passes defensed. Heck, even in 2018, he had 5 PDs in only 7 games before injury.

It's fine to give players a bump for reliable health. But I think sometimes the recency bias of injuries clouds judgement. Like, Funchess broke his collarbone, but had been healthy for the first 4 years of his career. I don't love him as a player... but his injury last year doesn't downgrade him to me, at all. Kirksey was a healthy player for 4 straight years before getting hit halfway through one season and then again before the next season. Gonna be some rust, for sure, but his ability to play shouldn't be diminished while he's still prime-age.

King it sucks because his shoulder issues have been chronic and it will always be a question if it's going to hold up.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I think Kevin King's highs have been higher thus far in his career compared to Kirksey. Having 5 PDs in 7 games is fantastic. King's 5 INTs were fantastic along with his 15 PDs. Having his best season in 2019 trumps having a best season 2016/17, in my opinion. There should be some recency bias. That's just where I would separate them and I don't think that is too unconventional.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm curious if the MN interception is included in that passer rating of "when targeted" because it was not King who was "targeted" on that play.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It was in his coverage. He was playing deep half. He intercepted it on his deep half.