Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Basically all I care about at this point is the following:

1. Win the F*cking Super Bowl.
2. Extend Jaire Alexander and Rasual Douglas at CB.
3. Extend D'Vondre Campbell at ILB.

I'm pretty much fine with anything else that happens.

I am much more in the boat of extending our defensive guys to hopefully modest contracts as first priority and then fill in the rest of the team to make us winners again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Dec 2021 09:52
To clarify, I'm fine with thinking about it. I really meant to dig into exactly what moves we can/should make, who will be here, who will be gone, who can be extended versus released, what the caps look like for 2023 and beyond (which I am still VERY bullish on; they set a maximum this year, which means there is likely excess from the new tv terms--just like how they set a minimum to put a floor on the covid revenue losses the prior year--so they're probably trying to pace the spread of the increases rather than take it all as a lump sum)

So yeah, by all means, think and chat about it. I just commented mostly to say that I have no details to contribute until later.
Good point about the 2023+ caps.

That could certainly open up a few doors, kicking Bakhtiari or Kenny money down.

Kind of makes you wonder what might be possible to do with Aaron's contract if they wanna keep him around for 2-3 more years. Certainly doesn't seem like his MO, but would be super cool if he doesn't push for Patrick Mahomes money. Doesn't seem thrilled with Packers brass still, but has never seemed about money. Give him 4 more years, a seat at the table on some personnel, other concessions he might want, so maybe take less dollar figures to make the whole thing work. Would be awesome.

First thing he'd probably realize if he gets to sit down with Russ and Gute to talk about the offseason, is holy &%$@, my contract is really hurting our cap this year. :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

As bad as it looks... and it looks BAD, paying Kevin King $3M next year to not play in GB may be the best money we have ever spent.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I thought king was on a one year 5m dollar deal? Oops guess I was misinformed.

Secondly, based on the cap situation...I think Rasul has played His was out of us being able to afford him unless he goes the Bobby Portis Jr route and just loves GB so much that he gives us a nice team friendly deal to stay.

Lots of teams need corners, and he’s played himself into the possibility for a very lucrative contract. Good for him!

Jaire and Stokes are solid cornerstones. We can fill the holes in with more affordable guys. I love Rasul tho, just think he’d have to be willing to work with us.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Dec 2021 10:52

Secondly, based on the cap situation...I think Rasul has played His was out of us being able to afford him unless he goes the Bobby Portis Jr route and just loves GB so much that he gives us a nice team friendly deal to stay.

Lots of teams need corners, and he’s played himself into the possibility for a very lucrative contract. Good for him!

Jaire and Stokes are solid cornerstones. We can fill the holes in with more affordable guys. I love Rasul tho, just think he’d have to be willing to work with us.
I hope the Larry Brown effect is still very much in play concerning Rasul. Not that Brown and Douglas are comparable, just the "giving a huge contract to a big play CB based off limited playing time" would give a GM pause. Would love to keep Rasul if his market is reasonable.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Dec 2021 10:52
With 4 voidable years. We are going to be paying for a lot of guys not on the roster in the next few seasons.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Maybe we should go full-on firesale after this season -- let lots of players/coaches walk, trade some folks away, compile compensatory picks and trade for picks from mediocre teams, only bring back guys who can still be in their prime for a few years after their contract expires (e.g. Jaire, Jenkins). No one will really blame Love for our losing record because we are so hollowed-out. Then draft BPA all the way down the year after and let gahd sort it out.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Labrev wrote:
29 Dec 2021 11:15
Maybe we should go full-on firesale after this season -- let lots of players/coaches walk, trade some folks away, compile compensatory picks and trade for picks from mediocre teams, only bring back guys who can still be in their prime for a few years after their contract expires (e.g. Jaire, Jenkins). No one will really blame Love for our losing record because we are so hollowed-out. Then draft BPA all the way down the year after and let gahd sort it out.
I'd willingly sacrifice a couple down years if it meant getting the cap back under control and strong drafting as well as sprinkling in some smart Free Agency moves. Based on what I've seen from Rodgers this year, I think my preference would be to still make it work even if we had to make some tough cuts elsewhere. You never know if a couple draft picks or cheap Free Agent pickups (see Rasul Douglas) could end up elevating into key players and still keep the Packers in the mix.

Worst case, Rodgers has 3-4 more good years and we all get to enjoy it and see him break more records.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Acrobat wrote:
29 Dec 2021 11:25
Labrev wrote:
29 Dec 2021 11:15
I'd willingly sacrifice a couple down years if it meant getting the cap back under control and strong drafting as well as sprinkling in some smart Free Agency moves. Based on what I've seen from Rodgers this year, I think my preference would be to still make it work even if we had to make some tough cuts elsewhere. You never know if a couple draft picks or cheap Free Agent pickups (see Rasul Douglas) could end up elevating into key players and still keep the Packers in the mix.

Worst case, Rodgers has 3-4 more good years and we all get to enjoy it and see him break more records.
I think worst case is Packers gut the D and WRs, and trade Love, to accommodate Rodgers only for his play to decline on an inferior team and we end up in a loveless marriage for a couple of years that ends like the final years of the McCarthy era.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

This is pretty on the money re: 12

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

This is a rare year. Usually with this injury list, considering the level of talent missing on the field, we'd simply have no SB chance.

Now, not only do we have a HoF QB playing well, a running game, a seemingly Mariana Trench deep OL and roster, and a D that comes up with turnovers and key plays, but we also haven't done that by sheer expense of money on elite FAs. Instead Gutey has been phenomenal this year. Just amazing acquisition of cheap talent. And LaFleur and Barry have had to do so much adapting, and have done it in a winning way.

An understander of the game like AR should appreciate it. Not much more a GM, his coach nor his team could do to support him.

We will have a 2022 with many goodbyes. Until then, let's enjoy this rare thing.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

salmar80 wrote:
29 Dec 2021 13:27
This is a rare year. Usually with this injury list, considering the level of talent missing on the field, we'd simply have no SB chance.

Now, not only do we have a HoF QB playing well, a running game, a seemingly Mariana Trench deep OL and roster, and a D that comes up with turnovers and key plays, but we also haven't done that by sheer expense of money on elite FAs. Instead Gutey has been phenomenal this year. Just amazing acquisition of cheap talent. And LaFleur and Barry have had to do so much adapting, and have done it in a winning way.

An understander of the game like AR should appreciate it. Not much more a GM, his coach nor his team could do to support him.

We will have a 2022 with many goodbyes. Until then, let's enjoy this rare thing.
Good post. I keep harkening back to the story of that 2010 Super Bowl win and how it epitomized that "next man up" mantra. I think that winning it all with players that began the season on the bench is just about the best thing that can happen for a franchise in the long term. I know it's been said about past seasons but this could be the season we see it happen again.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Dec 2021 13:40
salmar80 wrote:
29 Dec 2021 13:27

Good post. I keep harkening back to the story of that 2010 Super Bowl win and how it epitomized that "next man up" mantra. I think that winning it all with players that began the season on the bench is just about the best thing that can happen for a franchise in the long term. I know it's been said about past seasons but this could be the season we see it happen again.
If everyone was healthy, this might be THE best overall Packers roster I've ever seen. 1997 being the starting point.

Probably is the best job at depth-building ever. $%@# Kelly doing fine at OT as OL depth number whatever. BOTH OF OUR OTS ARE REJECTS and we're passing the ball?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I know it may not seem like it at times, but I tend to have faith in our FO these last 30 years,( most of it anyway) granted that went a bit south at the end of Ron Wolfs run, with the ego wars with Holmgren, the hiring of Rhodes and then giving Sherman duel HC/GM jobs, what the $%^&)_(*&%^&*(()*& was that all about :dunno: but the recovery with Thompson renewed it again, we where back on track and shortly won another SB, Now in 3 years with Guty and Lafluer where knocking on that door again, and while this appears to be a do or die season, I don't see Guty looking at the situation that way.

whether Rodgers stays which seems unlikely, Guty and Lafluer will do there best to keep most of this team around, Love or any other QB will need all the help they can get to win, sure we'll lose several but imo Guty wont try to balance the cap in one season, I don't think we'll see a house cleaning of most of our expensive players, at least I hope not, I want to have a winning team next year too.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2021 14:55
I know it may not seem like it at times, but I tend to have faith in our FO these last 30 years,( most of it anyway) granted that went a bit south at the end of Ron Wolfs run, with the ego wars with Holmgren, the hiring of Rhodes and then giving Sherman duel HC/GM jobs, what the $%^&)_(*&%^&*(()*& was that all about :dunno: but the recovery with Thompson renewed it again, we where back on track and shortly won another SB, Now in 3 years with Guty and Lafluer where knocking on that door again, and while this appears to be a do or die season, I don't see Guty looking at the situation that way.

whether Rodgers stays which seems unlikely, Guty and Lafluer will do there best to keep most of this team around, Love or any other QB will need all the help they can get to win, sure we'll lose several but imo Guty wont try to balance the cap in one season, I don't think we'll see a house cleaning of most of our expensive players, at least I hope not, I want to have a winning team next year too.
I'm predicting many more North Division crowns with LaCoach roaming the Lambeau Field sidelines. I certainly hope he doesn't burn out like Madden did.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I want Rodgers back for next season. Love completely failed during his audition. I'd like to keep developing Love for a couple years, but he did so poorly that he shouldn't factor into our long term plans, and if he does end up a solid player and franchise QB then it can be viewed as a bonus. I wouldn't draft a Rodgers replacement while Love is here, but I also would stop assuming Love is the Rodgers replacement, as we have been for 1.5 years.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

texas wrote:
30 Dec 2021 14:00
I want Rodgers back for next season. Love completely failed during his audition. I'd like to keep developing Love for a couple years, but he did so poorly that he shouldn't factor into our long term plans, and if he does end up a solid player and franchise QB then it can be viewed as a bonus. I wouldn't draft a Rodgers replacement while Love is here, but I also would stop assuming Love is the Rodgers replacement, as we have been for 1.5 years.
I'm of this opinion too, and I was the opposite before the season started. I really thought Rodgers was going to regress this year with all the distractions and just generally come back to earth. But I was wrong. We should do anything we can to figure out the $$$ so he can be our QB for another 3+ years.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

texas wrote:
30 Dec 2021 14:00
Personally I don't even try and assess Love's current level. We saw him thrown into a game without any adjustments mid season against one of the best teams in the league. It barely counts as an audition.

The point is the Packers have infinitely more information than we do about him. And ultimately I'm going to trust MLF and Gute to make that call, as they seem pretty good at their jobs.

But the joy of a Rodgers and Adams trade is that it could give us a ton of picks in 2023 which is a much better QB class. If Love plays well in '22 on a depleted team due to the cuts we'll need to make to the salary cap, then maybe we use those picks on players to build around him.

If Love struggles then we're well placed to draft his replacement.

Rodgers went 6-10 his first year as a starter. We used that top 10 pick on Raji and the 3rd we got for Favre we used to trade up for CM3. Gute may be thinking he can do something similar. But instead of a single 3rd he'll have multiple firsts.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

That chiefs def was not good.

I am for a Rodgers 4 year extension and just make it work. We definitely need to go wr and pray for a Justin Jefferson type because davante is gone.

Still annoys me we could've had tee Higgins instead of Love.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
30 Dec 2021 15:24
That chiefs def was not good.

I am for a Rodgers 4 year extension and just make it work. We definitely need to go wr and pray for a Justin Jefferson type because davante is gone.

Still annoys me we could've had tee Higgins instead of Love.
The Chiefs are 11-4 and lead the entire AFC. What part of this do you not understand. Overall their D is ranked about 8th of 32. As opposed to the Packers at 15. After 17 weeks. You know, I don't understand where you get your opinions from? Thin air?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-17-de ... kings-2021