Vikings @ Packers GDT: Sunday, January 2nd, 2022 - 7:20 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

That cold won't make anyone happy,, but Jefferson, and Cook if he plays, will be slowed by the cold. That is an advantage Packers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Dec 2021 15:25
Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2021 15:11
Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Dec 2021 11:50
Minnesota can't really throw and they can't play defense very well.
They have a solid return game so I'm hoping special teams is a point of emphasis during practice this week.
wha????? Cousins is far better then most give him credit, thankfully They'll be missing Thielen, but Jefferson just broke the record for most receiving yards for first two seasons, he is a tough cover, Minny is always a tough matchup, and they have plenty to play for.

I think outdoors on the frozen tundra of Lambeau will be our advantage :banana:
Their passing stats are &%$@ though. Wonder why.
Cousins is 58-59-2 overall in the regular season. And has 1 playoff game win. I can't think of any reason why the Packers won't win this game.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

NCF wrote:
29 Dec 2021 16:15
No punting, No FG’s. All TDS.

All gas...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I've always like the backup QB being the holder. I hope Love is able to step in an hold.

Makes any chance of a fake field goal so much more appealing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
30 Dec 2021 09:21
I've always like the backup QB being the holder. I hope Love is able to step in an hold.

Makes any chance of a fake field goal so much more appealing.
with the new covid rules it's expected we'll get our punter back in time for the Vikings according to JS online.

GREEN BAY – The Green Bay Packers added five more players to the reserve/COVID-19 list, but with the NFL lowering its required days of quarantine to five, it’s possible several will be able to play against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

The additions raised the number of players on the list to 17, but it came down one later in the day when wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling was returned to the active roster. He was placed on the list Dec. 21

The latest to go on the list were punter Corey Bojorquez, end Kingsley Keke, safety Henry Black, tight end Tyler Davis and newly signed practice squad cornerback Jayson Stanley. Normally, all would ineligible to return in time for the Vikings game.

But the NFL adjusted the quarantine time to account for players who are asymptomatic and not likely to spread the virus five days after testing positive.

Packers punter Corey Bojorquez (7) could return in time to play Sunday.
Some of the players who were added to the list Wednesday actually tested positive Tuesday and not in time for the Packers to submit the reserve/COVID-19 transaction before the end of the business day. Thus, they would be eligible to return Sunday.

Among those, according to a source, is Bojorquez.

The Packers can least afford not to have him, and they are expected to sign a punter to the practice squad Thursday. But if Bojorquez is asymptomatic, they can expect him to be ready to play against the Vikings.

theres more concerning kenny Clark and how hard the virus hit him, the plan was to play him far less against Cleveland but injurys to Lancaster and Lowery forced him to play more, he said he was gassed out for much of the 2nd half.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/n ... 047555002/

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Dec 2021 15:25
Yoop wrote:
29 Dec 2021 15:11
Captain_Ben wrote:
29 Dec 2021 11:50
Minnesota can't really throw and they can't play defense very well.
They have a solid return game so I'm hoping special teams is a point of emphasis during practice this week.
wha????? Cousins is far better then most give him credit, thankfully They'll be missing Thielen, but Jefferson just broke the record for most receiving yards for first two seasons, he is a tough cover, Minny is always a tough matchup, and they have plenty to play for.

I think outdoors on the frozen tundra of Lambeau will be our advantage :banana:
Their passing stats are &%$@ though. Wonder why.
REally? Passing stats are &%$@?

Code: Select all

Rk	Player	        Cmp	Att	Cmp%	Yds	TD	Rate	Lng	Int
1	Kirk Cousins	358	539	66.4	3971	30	101.3	64	7
2	Aaron Rodgers	323	475	68	3689	33	110.8	75	4

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

There are things that stats just simply don't tell you. I think Kirk is better than what some people give him credit for. But if he was that good, then why don't the Vikings consistently win 11-12 games per year? It's not always a deficiency somewhere else (that seems to be the biggest crutch that his fans rely on).

Personally, I think his biggest flaw is that he struggles after his initial read is covered with a close second being that he doesn't move around the pocket as well as the elite QB's.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Cousins is a system QB. He needs things to be perfect around him to excel. When things aren’t perfect, he sucks. Lucky for him..things are often pretty good for him as he has had diggs/Thielen and now Jefferson/Thielen, as well as dalvin cook. That’s a strong squad to run with despite what the excuse makers say.

Cousins just isn’t willing anybody to victory, he isn’t overcoming the situation when things break down. He’s just one piece of 11 on the field that does his job well when the 11 are in sync.

The truly elite Qbs do their job well when the other 10 aren’t in sync. They cover up the mistakes of others and they make plays when they aren’t easily available.

That’s the difference between those guys and cousins. Cousins isn’t bad at all, but he ain’t that dude.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

This is a huge game. 1 they beat us the last 2 meetings. That should light a fire for these guys. 2. Its prob the last real game before the playoffs. Its time to make a statement and play a complete game. I hope its a playoff like approach and GB shows why they are the top seed.

The vikings wont go down easy but GB is the better team.

34-24

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Dec 2021 10:24
Cousins is a system QB. He needs things to be perfect around him to excel. When things aren’t perfect, he sucks. Lucky for him..things are often pretty good for him as he has had diggs/Thielen and now Jefferson/Thielen, as well as dalvin cook. That’s a strong squad to run with despite what the excuse makers say.

Cousins just isn’t willing anybody to victory, he isn’t overcoming the situation when things break down. He’s just one piece of 11 on the field that does his job well when the 11 are in sync.

The truly elite Qbs do their job well when the other 10 aren’t in sync. They cover up the mistakes of others and they make plays when they aren’t easily available.

That’s the difference between those guys and cousins. Cousins isn’t bad at all, but he ain’t that dude.
Do you mean like how Brady did his job in the New Orleans game. Like that?

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Raptorman wrote:
30 Dec 2021 11:23
Drj820 wrote:

Ummm...yeah...probably not gonna convince anyone by calling out a rare bad game by a QB who has 7 Super Bowl rings and is widely considered the GOAT.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Dec 2021 12:04
Raptorman wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Ummm...yeah...probably not gonna convince anyone by calling out a rare bad game by a QB who has 7 Super Bowl rings and is widely considered the GOAT.
The only reason why Brady has 7 rings is he has always had good defenses. Rodgers in my opinion is a better qd, he just never had the defenses to win the Super Bowl except once.

Ask yourself this question. Tha last 10 years the Packers have been to the playoffs 8 times. Tampa once. Why? Now go back and look at the ppg on the defenses Green Bay had and what Tampa had last year. Or for that matter any year Brady won.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:

thing is when his buds are playing well Cousins does too, he can make all the throws and he plays smart, he is rarely the reason the Vikes lose, obviously we can beat him and the Vikes, we just decided not to the last couple games, I guess :rotf:

thing is it's been proven countless times division foes upset better division foes often, and the Vikes have given us fits the last couple outings, I take no comfort in knowing Cousins has a lower rating then Rodgers or that he is a system QB :idn: ( Cousins could go to any system and do well), Cooks will be hard to corral and JJ is one of the elite receivers in the league, and the way our defense has been playing I don't discount there ability, I wish the Detroit and Vikings games where flipped.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raptorman wrote:
30 Dec 2021 12:31
Acrobat wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
The only reason why Brady has 7 rings is he has always had good defenses. Rodgers in my opinion is a better qd, he just never had the defenses to win the Super Bowl except once.

Ask yourself this question. Tha last 10 years the Packers have been to the playoffs 8 times. Tampa once. Why? Now go back and look at the ppg on the defenses Green Bay had and what Tampa had last year. Or for that matter any year Brady won.
Defense is the harder part of the team to build, I know some will argue with that opinion, but all they have to do is look where teams spend most of there resources on draft day or in UFA.

on offense ya get a good to great QB a RB and a couple bon a fide receivers and your almost there, maybe a stud LT, on defense any weak link is magnified, ya need quality play at just about every position or todays offense will eat you up.

Ted tried for years to build a great defense, it is his biggest failing, Guty paid attention to that and when all the horses are healthy this is a top shelf defense

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Raptorman wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

I think it's more appropriate to ask those questions in regards to Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers, but completely absurd to make the comparison in a Kirk Cousins argument.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Dec 2021 12:59
Raptorman wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I think it's more appropriate to ask those questions in regards to Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers, but completely absurd to make the comparison in a Kirk Cousins argument.
how so? the vikings have had better defenses over the years, and while Rodgers is better then cousins, our playoff losses stem to the fact that we where in to many shoot outs cause our defense could not stop our opponents from scoring, that was Raptors point, and it's a valid one.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
30 Dec 2021 13:06
Acrobat wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

how so? the vikings have had better defenses over the years, and while Rodgers is better then cousins, our playoff losses stem to the fact that we where in to many shoot outs cause our defense could not stop our opponents from scoring, that was Raptors point, and it's a valid one.
The point is that Cousins is nowhere near the level of Tom Brady whether or not Tom Brady had great defenses or not.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Dec 2021 13:09
Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

The point is that Cousins is nowhere near the level of Tom Brady whether or not Tom Brady had great defenses or not.
The point is Tom Brady isn't as good as you think he is. Yes he is good. But not as good as you think.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Raptorman wrote:
30 Dec 2021 13:12
Acrobat wrote:
Yoop wrote:

The point is Tom Brady isn't as good as you think he is. Yes he is good. But not as good as you think.
I get that and agree, but it's still absurd to use Tom Brady as an example when discussing Kirk Cousins.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Dec 2021 13:18
Raptorman wrote:
30 Dec 2021 13:12
Acrobat wrote:

I get that and agree, but it's still absurd to use Tom Brady as an example when discussing Kirk Cousins.
Simply pointing out the fact that when you consistently have a defense that holds the other team to 20 ppg or less, it's a lot easier for a QB to win. How many times has Rodgers had that? 3 times How many times has Brady? 15. Cousins. Once The worst defense Brady ever had, gave up 21.6 ppg during the year. Even Stafford wins 73% of his games when his defense only gives up 21 ppg. Cousins win 80% of those games. Rodgers 85%. The NFL norm for QB's winning at 21 ppg or less is around 80%. Go to 18 ppg and it goes up to 85%. Everyone praises Brady as the greatest of all time. Put on Detroit and let's see how he does.