Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Jan 2022 16:47
This is kind of silly man. You said you were mischaracterized...I was just telling you the part of your post that people really disagreed with and it sprung forth a debate. You dont think the Broncos are a QB away, many of us do. Whether it was a small part of your post or not, the opinion that you typed out stirred a nice debate on the Broncos roster. I think thats awesome because I love debate.

As for whether other teams are also only a QB away...I totally agree.

As for people posting the Broncos draft selections...I enjoyed seeing it and hope to be made aware of other potential trade partners draft position. But it is no mystery why people would talk about the broncos considering the full court press they apparently put on last year. I understand it.
I mean yeah, it is silly. I didn't say I was mischaracterized, but misunderstood; I stand by that. My comment did spring a good debate, hence when you engaged with it., I engaged in that debate, as well. But we were still arguing different things, hence the misunderstanding. I was making a relative case about the Brocnos' roster--how it compares to the roster of other teams around the league, specifically QB-needy teams. And you seemed to be making an absolute case, how good the Broncos roster is, in a vacuum, of its own accord. That was the misunderstanding of my statement.

But yes, I too like looking at where potential trading partners might be drafting, and have looked, several times, and should post more. But I have to wait until after tonight because if the Steelers lose, that helps :D

Then again, I guess the Browns could be ideal if they have the money to sign Davante as well and let Mayfield walk, but I doubt very much that Rodgers would like to live in Cleveland, because nobody would like to live in Cleveland.

Additionally, and also tangentially, I wanted to talk more about the coaches at potential destinations (or coaching openings), hence continuously bringing up Fangio and his mediocre OC, Pat Shurmur, whose career has been fairly fruitless aside from a couple magical years in Philly with a host of other good coaches around him. But maybe we'll have better debates on coaches Rodgers would play well with as we get to the coaching carousel portion of the offseason

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2022 16:50
What is your best scenario for keeping Rodgers? Because i kinda think he stays but i defnitely hope he does.
I think we'd have to give him like a 6-year extension that reasonably functions as more of a 4-year deal in order to get the big averages and spread out the guaranteed money into later years a little more; but also still leave us with solid options for Rodgers to depart without major dead money in the latter years. It would involve signing him through age 45 and committing to him through age 41/42ish? I was aiming to make an extension that would save the same amount of money on his cap charge this year (about $20 mil) as trading him would, though, so I gave myself an extra piece of criteria that might alter the potential outcomes.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I feel like Washington is quietly a really nice landing spot for Rodgers: rock-solid D, good coach for that side of the ball, some playmakers on offense, nice OL, they hover around .500 and playoff contention without a QB, and the only above-average team in that division is one that Rodgers plays well against.

Probably not an attractive trade partner for us, though -- NFC team, some nice pieces to trade for (e.g. Sweat, one of the DTs) but not many.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Labrev wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:24
I feel like Washington is quietly a really nice landing spot for Rodgers: rock-solid D, good coach for that side of the ball, some playmakers on offense, nice OL, they hover around .500 and playoff contention without a QB, and the only above-average team in that division is one that Rodgers plays well against.

Probably not an attractive trade partner for us, though -- NFC team, some nice pieces to trade for (e.g. Sweat, one of the DTs) but not many.
A Rodgers move to WFT would certainly help my Terry McLaurin shares in fantasy!

Personally I don't think division quality will factor into Rodgers decision making. 7 teams now make the playoffs, and Rodgers will believe his presence will turn any team into an instant contender. Plus that team will immediately go all in to build the best roster they can around him.

This year even previously scary teams like the Chiefs and Chargers have looked eminently beatable.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

British wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:31
Labrev wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:24

A Rodgers move to WFT would certainly help my Terry McLaurin shares in fantasy!

Personally I don't think division quality will factor into Rodgers decision making. 7 teams now make the playoffs, and Rodgers will believe his presence will turn any team into an instant contender. Plus that team will immediately go all in to build the best roster they can around him.

This year even previously scary teams like the Chiefs and Chargers have looked eminently beatable.
Division quality? Maybe not.

Playing Mike McCarthy twice a year? :cigar: Maybe

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:02
bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2022 16:50
What is your best scenario for keeping Rodgers? Because i kinda think he stays but i defnitely hope he does.
I think we'd have to give him like a 6-year extension that reasonably functions as more of a 4-year deal in order to get the big averages and spread out the guaranteed money into later years a little more; but also still leave us with solid options for Rodgers to depart without major dead money in the latter years. It would involve signing him through age 45 and committing to him through age 41/42ish? I was aiming to make an extension that would save the same amount of money on his cap charge this year (about $20 mil) as trading him would, though, so I gave myself an extra piece of criteria that might alter the potential outcomes.
Yeah that makes sense - how much money did you have for average year on his new extension? Who were the main losses because of it?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
As for people posting the Broncos draft selections...I enjoyed seeing it and hope to be made aware of other potential trade partners draft position. But it is no mystery why people would talk about the broncos considering the full court press they apparently put on last year. I understand it.
Late to the party but I’d add Elway’s penchant for making big moves, particularly at the QB position and specific to his win-now opportunism, are contributing factors that steer people to focus on Denver. I know it does for me.

Yes, Elway is no longer pulling the personnel strings but you’d be a fool to think he doesn’t still hold sway or that that mentality doesn’t still pervade the Broncos front office. It’s already worked once for them and many of those same folks still walk the halls.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

APB wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:48
Drj820 wrote:
Late to the party but I’d add Elway’s penchant for making big moves, particularly at the QB position and specific to his win-now opportunism, are contributing factors that steer people to focus on Denver. I know it does for me.

Yes, Elway is no longer pulling the personnel strings but you’d be a fool to think he doesn’t hold sway or that that mentality doesn’t still pervade the Broncos front office. It’s already worked once for them and many of those same folks still walk the halls.
And as a former Viking you'd imagine George Paton would love to have Rodgers as his QB. In that division especially, they must feel outgunned by their deficiency under centre.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

British wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:52
APB wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yes, Elway is no longer pulling the personnel strings but you’d be a fool to think he doesn’t hold sway or that that mentality doesn’t still pervade the Broncos front office. It’s already worked once for them and many of those same folks still walk the halls.
And as a former Viking you'd imagine George Paton would love to have Rodgers as his QB. In that division especially, they must feel outgunned by their deficiency under centre.
Every coach in the league will be praying that their GM gets them Rodgers.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2022 16:58
Drj820 wrote:
This is kind of silly man. You said you were mischaracterized...I was just telling you the part of your post that people really disagreed with and it sprung forth a debate. You dont think the Broncos are a QB away, many of us do. Whether it was a small part of your post or not, the opinion that you typed out stirred a nice debate on the Broncos roster. I think thats awesome because I love debate.

As for whether other teams are also only a QB away...I totally agree.

I mean yeah, it is silly. I didn't say I was mischaracterized, but misunderstood; I stand by that. My comment did spring a good debate, hence when you engaged with it., I engaged in that debate, as well. But we were still arguing different things, hence the misunderstanding. I was making a relative case about the Brocnos' roster--how it compares to the roster of other teams around the league, specifically QB-needy teams. And you seemed to be making an absolute case, how good the Broncos roster is, in a vacuum, of its own accord. That was the misunderstanding of my statement.

But yes, I too like looking at where potential trading partners might be drafting, and have looked, several times, and should post more. But I have to wait until after tonight because if the Steelers lose, that helps :D

Then again, I guess the Browns could be ideal if they have the money to sign Davante as well and let Mayfield walk, but I doubt very much that Rodgers would like to live in Cleveland, because nobody would like to live in Cleveland.

Additionally, and also tangentially, I wanted to talk more about the coaches at potential destinations (or coaching openings), hence continuously bringing up Fangio and his mediocre OC, Pat Shurmur, whose career has been fairly fruitless aside from a couple magical years in Philly with a host of other good coaches around him. But maybe we'll have better debates on coaches Rodgers would play well with as we get to the coaching carousel portion of the offseason
Regarding Fangio, lots of Denver beat reporters seem to think he's got little more than a 50/50 shot at keeping his job.

If I were Paton, or another GM, if you're going to bring Rodgers in it seems highly tempting to bring in Nathaniel Hackett as HC and keep the system in place that has got Rodgers playing at such a high level.

Hackett could then poach a few more of the Packers coaches for his OC and DC posts and they could sign free agents like Tonyan, MVS, Cobb etc.

Rather than trying to fit Rodgers into a new set up, it seems sensible to keep his comfort level at maximum when so many of the pieces are available.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

British wrote:
03 Jan 2022 18:10
Rather than trying to fit Rodgers into a new set up, it seems sensible to keep his comfort level at maximum when so many of the pieces are available.
This is exactly the sort of thing I've been thinking about, just like you with Hackett as a potential way in--or grabbing Stenovitch as an OC. People say that's in his future and while assistant coach contract statuses are locked like ft knox, they're often 3-year contracts and it's been three years; he might be a coaching free agent.

So it's interesting looking at which teams are likely to have those vacancies.

Like the Raiders who were also in the mix last year; A new coach may have new feelings about Derek Carr, and if that new coach has Rodgers connections...

But then you also have situations like Pittsburgh where Rodgers would probably never consider the PLACE but might genuinely want to try playing for the coach... and so I wonder which coaching connections he might have around the league that he misses or that he always thought highly of, or who his friends have said good things.

But yes, I agree; any team swinging for Rodgers should make an attempt to do so with the poaching of some of the people with us who have developed this system with him.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Losing Stenovitch would be a blow. I have no idea if he's good but looking at the results of the OL this year I can see why people are talking him up.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's my thread and I can do what I want with it! So I added a poll. Where will Rodgers play next season? All the options are teams with at least $36M in cap space for 2022 (except Green Bay of course).

To me the best options are Indy, Miami, Denver, and Cleveland. All have either the cap space to make necessary moves to draw him in or have established talent already and cap space to make moves. To me, Indy makes the most sense. Though I have not dug into each teams cap situation, just went by pure available as of today.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
06 Jan 2022 12:30
It's my thread and I can do what I want with it! So I added a poll. Where will Rodgers play next season? All the options are teams with at least $36M in cap space for 2022 (except Green Bay of course).

To me the best options are Indy, Miami, Denver, and Cleveland. All have either the cap space to make necessary moves to draw him in or have established talent already and cap space to make moves. To me, Indy makes the most sense. Though I have not dug into each teams cap situation, just went by pure available as of today.
I think Seattle is a really, really sneaky scenario that requires a lot of moving pieces, but I will keep my eye on that. Pete Carroll would have to be the first domino to fall. I do believe he has a desire to be on the west coast and has said as much, so I think Seattle, Denver, and Vegas all kind of get a small lean over any east coast team.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
06 Jan 2022 12:35
paco wrote:
06 Jan 2022 12:30

I think Seattle is a really, really sneaky scenario that requires a lot of moving pieces, but I will keep my eye on that. Pete Carroll would have to be the first domino to fall. I do believe he has a desire to be on the west coast and has said as much, so I think Seattle, Denver, and Vegas all kind of get a small lean over any east coast team.
I agree, Seattle is a sneaky team and I think has to be on everyone's radar. I also agree and think the wish to be on the west coast is real. Especially if he's only looking to play 2-3 more years. But if he has plans on Bradying it, I could see other options becoming more desirable.

Vegas is a tough nut to crack. In some turmoil due to various decisions, but there is talent on the roster in places. That could be a place where they find a coach to match up with Rodgers (Hackett?).
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Cleveland is another good one. Alex Van Pelt is OC. Pretty rock solid team, despite injuries and underperformance this year. If he can get Davante to go with him, that is a nice landing spot and super talented team.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I personally think the west coast desire is overblown. He can go wherever he wants at any time in just a few hours with a plane. He’s always seemed content “in season” in a place such as GB. I think football will be first, location second.

Except I really do think he struggles when it’s hot outside. I don’t see him going to Florida.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
03 Jan 2022 18:02
British wrote:
03 Jan 2022 17:52
APB wrote:

Every coach in the league will be praying that their GM gets them Rodgers.
Oh absolutely. 2 MVP seasons in a row. Rodgers is a slam dunk for any team because the Packers will have to eat a good chunk of cap.

So if you have a young and solid base, you can trade for Rodgers, make some big FA signings while deferring the cap....you can literally do what the 2019 Packers did.

It's why I think Rodgers's trade value will be large. He makes teams winners as long as the team can buy some players to put around him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I see Indy as very unlikely. Irsay isn't looking to be Manning's Denver for Rodgers. I see no owner more focused on the draft and develop path more than Irsay.

Same deal with GB; there is still institutional memory of the Hadl trade, one of the worst deals in league history, I doubt this team ever expends large resources on an old QB from outside the organization again. I'd never see GB in the running for a guy like Rodgers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers trade value will probably be unlike anything the league has ever seen.

Brady’s longevity only helps to relieve age concerns and further drives Rodgers value to the moon
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur