Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2022 09:46
I get why...

but...

It's annoying that the NFL playoff scenarios the NFL puts out are basically 1-seed, division, or playoff berth.

Like I get it. But I want to know what seeds these teams are so we can look at likely wild card matchups or discuss which things we want to see happen, for personal or Packers reasons. The Bill Simmons podcast that guesses upcoming betting lines for the next week's games seemed to have a breakdown for which seeds the teams would end up in, and I would like to peruse that more often. The tiebreaking scnearios are nuts, but they exist. Just list it all!
I like this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

I've used this site too: https://nflplayoffscenarios.com/#nfc-scenarios-by-seed

Should probably be a grid somewhere with all the possibilities.

Kind of like how LV and LA are basically in a win and your in game, loser goes home.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jan 2022 09:59
Here we go, this is what I was talking about.

I guess no one wants the 4 seed, having Arizona first or potentially the Rams, but Dallas looks fairly locked into it.

SF and NO both look like they need to go out and win, Philly locked into 6 or 7.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2022 09:58
I am usually about this too but because the NFL is lowest plays highest seed and not a "bracket" system, there are just so many things that can happen I don't worry about that because it will just simply change.

Basically all I know right now is the Packers can literally play ANY team in the divisional round except TB. Literally any one can be the 4 seed or lower at this point except it looks like a Bucs loss and Cowboys win still puts DAL at the #4 seed.

But LA, AZ, DAL, SF, PHI, NO all have a very strong chance of being a 4 seed or lower and therefore playing us.
That's why I said for Packer or personal reasons.

I also just want to see good games or interesting matchups. I'm on the side of "divisional rematches in the playoffs bore me because I've already seen that game twice" so I like to see fewer of those. I want to see matchups where teams have strengths against strengths, like the Bucs' run D (shaky of late) versus the 49ers or Eagles right now. Or the Cowboys' O versus the Saints' D. Or if I have a specific rooting interest, want to see specific matchups exploited. I always liked to go into the last week of the season with like a list of who I'm rooting for in every game because the results are so final afterwards. It can be draft-related or playoff related or whatever.

I just wish more detailed seeding ramifications was more accessible.

But also, I found a good (though incomplete) place for it while complaining, so...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/3/ ... lts-saints

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

AFC a little crazier yet.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Thanks [mention]BF004[/mention]

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:06
Thanks @BF004
Bring your FO stuff too, wonder what the most likely matchups all are. i.e., Carolina winning in TB is not as likely as SF beating the Rams.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:08
YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:06
Thanks @BF004
Bring your FO stuff too, wonder what the most likely matchups all are. i.e., Carolina winning in TB is not as likely as SF beating the Rams.
Good call. I copied and pasted the odds of each playoff team/contender from each conference and sorted by seeding odds

NFC:
image.png
image.png (19.41 KiB) Viewed 225 times

AFC:
image.png
image.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 225 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I should have added conditional formatting to add to the visual

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The 100% just looks so beautiful.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:47
And this time just feels way more fun than the 2011 season did when we had the same dominant win-loss success.

2nd time the Packers are going into the final week of the season with the #1 seed locked.

This is rare air.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:43
I should have added conditional formatting to add to the visual
Let's try this.

NFC:
image.png
image.png (27.6 KiB) Viewed 204 times
AFC:
image.png
image.png (33.6 KiB) Viewed 204 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:01
BF004 wrote:
04 Jan 2022 09:59
Here we go, this is what I was talking about.

I guess no one wants the 4 seed, having Arizona first or potentially the Rams, but Dallas looks fairly locked into it.

SF and NO both look like they need to go out and win, Philly locked into 6 or 7.
Even though it shows up in only a few lines, I think the top option is the most likely, and one I like:

2 Rams vs 7 Saints
3 Bucs vs 6 Eagles
4 Cowboys vs 5 Cardinals

That's what happens if the Rams beat the 49ers, the Saints beat the Falcons, the Cardinals beat the Seahawks, and the Bucs beat the Panthers, regardless of who wins the Cowboys-Eagles game.

Now if the 49ers beat the Rams, the possibilities get much more numerous
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 04 Jan 2022 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel like they are being a bit generous on the Rams victory there. Looking they are giving about a 66% chance they beat SF. SF hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet, they are gunna bring it. Rams need to win too or they can lose the division yet.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:16
I feel like they are being a bit generous on the Rams victory there. Looking they are giving about a 66% chance they beat SF. SF hasn't clinched a playoff spot yet, they are gunna bring it. Rams need to win too or they can lose the division yet.
They might be using the DVOA adjusted for Trey Lance, not Jimmy G, since Garappolo missed last week and his status is uncertain.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2022 10:53
NCF wrote:
And this time just feels way more fun than the 2011 season did when we had the same dominant win-loss success.

2nd time the Packers are going into the final week of the season with the #1 seed locked.

This is rare air.
One more thing about our clinching the NFL's best record this year... I don't think enough has been made about the fact that the NFC was given the short straw with the introduction of the 17th game, meaning we did what we did despite playing 9 road games.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:32
go pak go wrote:
NCF wrote:

This is rare air.
One more thing about our clinching the NFL's best record this year... I don't think enough has been made about the fact that the NFC was given the short straw with the introduction of the 17th game, meaning we did what we did despite playing 9 road games.
I mean let's be real here.

The 2021 Packers has been the best team on the field in each game after Week 1.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:38
NCF wrote:
go pak go wrote:

This is rare air.

You have obviously not read/forgotten some of the post-game victory conversations on this board...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:39
go pak go wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:38
NCF wrote:

You have obviously not read/forgotten some of the post-game victory conversations on this board...
If I were to summarize the 2021 Packers season board here, I would say it was made of the following:

1. Emotional sarcastic quips during the game. (I am generally the most emotional on this board during the game)
2. Followed by review, analysis, praise, blame, concerns, etc. amongst pretty much all plays, players, position groups etc.
3. Group of people who gets set off by posts that opposes their pet project.
4. DrJ finding any way to bash Jordan Love.
5. yoop hijacking threads and all of us falling victim in the thread hijack at one point or another (others are more guilty of this...including me)
6. Everyone pissing and moaning (and deservedly so) about the historically poor STs.
7. Discussing injuries, being worried about injuries early on, and then injury worry subsiding even though actual injury knew grew worse but "next man up" was so prevalent we don't care much anymore
8. Overall everyone seeing again how special this team is and holding their breath for the final 3 games late January into February.

Number 8 is the biggest one.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
I think it's not mentioned much because home field advantage in terms of W/L record this season has been only +4 games for the home team this year and was -1 game for the home team last year. So losing home games isn't considered a large competitive disadvantage.

That said, the Packers are 8-0 at home this year, were 7-1 at home each of the previous two regular seasons, and an additional 2-1 at home in the playoffs, so it definitely does still matter to us.

Wow, just checked.

Including the playoffs, MLF is

41-11 overall, a 78.9% winning rate
24-3 at home, an 88.9% winning rate
17-8 away, a 68.0% winning rate

That is a vast homefield advantage, honestly.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jan 2022 11:50
NCF wrote:
I think it's not mentioned much because home field advantage in terms of W/L record this season has been only +4 games for the home team this year and was -1 game for the home team last year. So losing home games isn't considered a large competitive disadvantage.

That said, the Packers are 8-0 at home this year, were 7-1 at home each of the previous two regular seasons, and an additional 2-1 at home in the playoffs, so it definitely does still matter to us.

Wow, just checked.

Including the playoffs, MLF is

41-11 overall, a 78.9% winning rate
24-3 at home, an 88.9% winning rate
17-8 away, a 68.0% winning rate

That is a vast homefield advantage, honestly.
I believe the Packers are the only undefeated home team this season. Advantage indeed.