Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Rodgers was asked Wednesday on SiriusXM's The Adam Schein Podcast whether his perspective has changed and the grass might not be greener outside of Green Bay.

"The grass is greener where you water it," Rodgers responded. "I really believe that. And you know, that's an adage to dissuade people from going out and taking risk and chances, and you know, I think that where you spend your time and energy and what you choose to water will always be the greenest part of your life. I decided when I came back that I was going to be all in with the team and all in to see things move forward to a better place. And that's what the conversations were about, you know, during the offseason, was about being a part of those conversations that impact my ability to do my job. And I, you know, from one of the first days, Brian [Gutekunst] and I sat it down and got on the same page and it's been a really nice Fall and Winter. I appreciate his approach, how it's been, and it's been very meaningful to me. So I'm thankful for that relationship, where it's at at this point, and that's made my life that much more enjoyable. So I gotta give Brian a lot of credit for meeting me in the middle."
Doesn’t sound like somebody anxious to bust through the door in a rush to get out. Just my take.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look, you ever move, and after all your furniture is gone, you walk through the place where you spent so much of your life and had so many memories and you start to feel nostalgic? You'll miss it. It will always be a chapter, and you just appreciate it so much more in that moment than you did while you were just living there.

But you don't say, "ah, screw it. I'll lose the security deposit on the new place, but I'm breaking that deal and we're staying here!"

You're not so nostalgic that you change your mind. You're nostalgic exactly because you're leaving, the decision is made, and this is your last walk through.

The "grass is greener where you water it" means that wherever he is, if he puts his energy into being right there, he will be happy. It means he can be happy here, he can be happy elsewhere. He will always water his grass and keep it green.

I feel like maybe I know a few more people like him, as far as this mindfulness, meditation, manifesting goes. Like I went on two dates with a woman this year that probably loves this guy now because he's speaking her language and reading the same books as her. This whole mentality, this philosophy that he's been espousing, the people he's reading, the podcasts he's listening to.... they're about being in the present and focusing on what you can control and not what you can't. Rodgers says these words all the time.

So yes, right now he is in Green Bay and he is focusing on watering that grass. But when the season is over, he will make the best decision for himself, and he will do so knowing that wherever he goes will be as green as the water he gives it. That he will put his energy into appreciating that present.

The confusion seems to be that people are hearing him speak on the appreciation of the present and trying to give it an implication to the future, but that is specifically contrary to the whole philosophy he is preaching.

Might he be open to staying now more than he was before? Might he re-evaluate his decision? Certainly. He might.

But nothing he says about his present is a clue to his future. And the confirmation bias is strong in that people are reading what they want to into his comments when he is specifically and intentionally being evasive about anything to do with the future in how he is answering them.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Rodgers is clever with his quotes likes to leave it ambiguous. I do like that quote.

Ultimately packers want him to finish his deal or extend and they are the two best options for Rodgers. A trade is worse for all people involved except maybe some looking for a new contract e.g. Adams and who ever else.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jan 2022 19:31
Rodgers is clever with his quotes likes to leave it ambiguous. I do like that quote.

Ultimately packers want him to finish his deal or extend and they are the two best options for Rodgers. A trade is worse for all people involved except maybe some looking for a new contract e.g. Adams and who ever else.
The idea of Rodgers being in GB in 22 with no extension was smashed last summer when they reworked his contract to bring in guys like Cobb.

Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay in 2022 without any extension is literally lose, lose for all parties. Rodgers is on a crappy team and the Packers will get nothing for a great asset.

But winning the North at 11-6 and an early Divisional Round I guess is all worth it?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jan 2022 19:39
bud fox wrote:

The idea of Rodgers being in GB in 22 with no extension was smashed last summer when they reworked his contract to bring in guys like Cobb.

Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay in 2022 without any extension is literally lose, lose for all parties. Rodgers is on a crappy team and the Packers will get nothing for a great asset.

But winning the North at 11-6 and an early Divisional Round I guess is all worth it?
If a trade occurs the following happens:

Rodgers goes to a team that will have to give up a heap of assets. This isn't great for Rodgers but I think if its is something like 2 firsts a third and a fifth like Yoho mentioned, that will actually be fine.

Gute/Murphy/MLF trade future HOF, current MVP, possible superbowl winner and go into next year with a possible winning or losing record but don't have certainty. No current MVP has been traded in the NFL.

Ultimately I think for Rodgers it is better if he stays then picks his team in 23. It is also better for packers brass if Rodgers stays or leaves in 23 on his own accord.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jan 2022 19:52
go pak go wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Rodgers goes to a team that will have to give up a heap of assets. This isn't great for Rodgers but I think if its is something like 2 firsts a third and a fifth like Yoho mentioned, that will actually be fine.

Gute/Murphy/MLF trade future HOF, current MVP, possible superbowl winner and go into next year with a possible winning or losing record but don't have certainty. No current MVP has been traded in the NFL.

Ultimately I think for Rodgers it is better if he stays then picks his team in 23. It is also better for packers brass if Rodgers stays or leaves in 23 on his own accord.
I'm a huge Gute fan but if he keeps Rodgers in '22 in order to save himself a bit of PR heat rather than recoup multiple 1st round picks he will deserve to be chased out of Green Bay.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What GoPackGo is saying is that Rodgers' cap number is $46 million in 2022 and the team is scheduled to be $40 million over the cap. So if he's not extended to lessen that, then keeping him means gutting the roster. Standing pat and then letting him leave in 2022 for a 5th round 2024 comp pick would be the absolute worst case scenario and set back the rebuilding of the team.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jan 2022 19:52
go pak go wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Rodgers is a Packer in 2023. He can't leave in his own until 2024.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
06 Jan 2022 20:46
Do we have confirmation on whether or not they voided a year when he came back? I feel liek that's the word, but is it confirmed?

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2022 20:53
go pak go wrote:
Do we have confirmation on whether or not they voided a year when he came back? I feel liek that's the word, but is it confirmed?
This was reported on too heavily to not be the case. I am sure it has been voided.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jan 2022 20:53
go pak go wrote:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-p ... gers-3745/

Voided according to this
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Ron Wolf used to say that it’s better to let a player go too early than too late. I wonder if that’ll ever apply to Aaron Rodgers in GB or not.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:32
Ron Wolf used to say that it’s better to let a player go too early than too late. I wonder if that’ll ever apply to Aaron Rodgers in GB or not.
I mean that's been the Patriots M-O under Bellicheck too.

People love to say phrases like this until they are forced to actually do it.
Yoop wrote:

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:46
Scott4Pack wrote:

Belichick used it to perfection in amassing his Superbowls. Masterful trading of players for top picks.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

British wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:48
go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Belichick used it to perfection in amassing his Superbowls. Masterful trading of players for top picks.
Yeah I want a front office that is able to get draft assets for declining players and also a front office that trades current year picks for future year picks. I just love the wildcard that brings and potential power it brings with 2 1sts or 2 2nd rounders in a year.
Yoop wrote:

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

British wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Through it all, Belichick always had Tom Brady until just recently. That makes a hell of a difference!

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

williewasgreat wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:59
British wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Through it all, Belichick always had Tom Brady until just recently. That makes a hell of a difference!
The Packers have had Favre and Rodgers for 30 years and only got 2 Superbowls out of it.

Packers have had Rodgers for the past decade and never even reached a Superbowl.

You need far more than elite QB play.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

go pak go wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:51
British wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yeah I want a front office that is able to get draft assets for declining players and also a front office that trades current year picks for future year picks. I just love the wildcard that brings and potential power it brings with 2 1sts or 2 2nd rounders in a year.
Absolutely. Gute's trade with the Saints for their future 1st was masterful. Got Jaire with the trade down and Savage the following season.

This year in particular I'd love him to pull it off again due to the strength of that '23 class.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

British wrote:
07 Jan 2022 09:01
williewasgreat wrote:
07 Jan 2022 08:59
British wrote:

The Packers have had Favre and Rodgers for 30 years and only got 2 Superbowls out of it.

Packers have had Rodgers for the past decade and never even reached a Superbowl.

You need far more than elite QB play.
I don't think ya need elite QB play as much as ya need a QB that doesn't hurt the team, again, just look at how Guty has built this team the last 3 years, hardly any resources donated to what make a QB elite, almost nothing, Amari Rodgers draft in round 3 and the addition of Cobb, thats about it, Dequara is basically a blocking H back, his hands where on display when he dropped a easy TD last week.

we've built our OL to better run block, we took the biggest RB in the draft 2 years ago, and resigned for 10 mil annual a scatback guy in Jones, we are very close to a run first offense.

most of our high picks and UFA pickups are on defense, for the last 2 out of 3 years we are top 3 in the league pass rushing, now days with hurry up offense being a successful pass rushing defense is at a premium, even the best secondarys in the league will struggle when the QB has to much time, gotta have it.

my point is while we all want to keep Rodgers doing so will cost us some of this defensive talent, plus it's doubtful we can keep Adams, so why have a elite QB if he doesn't have the receivers needed for him to excel, we throw to Adams 150 times a season because the rest of the WR's struggle, now obviously we can pick up another receiver to supplant some of Adams loss but the point is we have been evolving so that the after life minus Rodgers and Adams will still keep us a competative team, just my opinion.

Mendeleev
Reactions:

Post by Mendeleev »

So, looking at these cap sites, they'd have to lower his cap hit 35 million just to hit the cap. That seems ... difficult.