Why an Aaron Rodgers trade could come sooner than you think

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 18:10
bud fox wrote:
13 May 2020 17:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 17:27
So which team is winning back to back Super Bowls that we are trading Rodgers to?
Whoever we trade him to - the scenario is so unrealistic. The effort trying to make this work just shows how stupid the pick was.

The earliest we should've taken a QB is the 2023 draft.

Fans trying to defend this pick will tell you they would take Love over Joe Burrrow. Homers are nuts.

The whole thing is just political and does not make the team better. It gives coaching and management an opportunity to build their own story and satisfy their egos.
Which team is winning the Super Bowl in 2020 that we are trading Rodgers to that is going to win it again in 2021? You stated that these 2 first rounders are likely to be 32 and 32. Not sure how the Love pick got dragged into the answer to my question...
The team wont trade the 2021 pick it will be the 2022 and 2023 picks and that team will win the Superbowl in both 2021 and 2022 - whichever team does it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The concept of discussing trade options in this much detail for 1-3 years from now is so laughable I just can't comprehend every time I see this thread pop up atop the forum again.

This whole offseason is just so absurd.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
13 May 2020 18:53
Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:
13 May 2020 17:59

Whoever we trade him to - the scenario is so unrealistic. The effort trying to make this work just shows how stupid the pick was.

The earliest we should've taken a QB is the 2023 draft.

Fans trying to defend this pick will tell you they would take Love over Joe Burrrow. Homers are nuts.

The whole thing is just political and does not make the team better. It gives coaching and management an opportunity to build their own story and satisfy their egos.
Which team is winning the Super Bowl in 2020 that we are trading Rodgers to that is going to win it again in 2021? You stated that these 2 first rounders are likely to be 32 and 32. Not sure how the Love pick got dragged into the answer to my question...
The team wont trade the 2021 pick it will be the 2022 and 2023 picks and that team will win the Superbowl in both 2021 and 2022 - whichever team does it.
That would be an interesting team indeed. They win a Super Bowl in the 2021 season without Rodgers. Trade 2 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 for Rodgers and then win it all again in the 2022 season. I am wondering which team that might be, especially with a great 2020 and 2021 Rodgers leading the Packs to 2 Super Bowls.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 19:52
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

That would be an interesting team indeed. They win a Super Bowl in the 2021 season without Rodgers. Trade 2 1st rounders in 2022 and 2023 for Rodgers and then win it all again in the 2022 season. I am wondering which team that might be, especially with a great 2020 and 2021 Rodgers leading the Packs to 2 Super Bowls.
What? They didn't win the 2020 superbowl. They were terrible so traded for Rodgers in 2021 when they win the 2021 superbowl with Rodgers giving them the 32 2022 pick and then win 2022 superbowl giving them 32 in 2023.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
13 May 2020 20:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:

What? They didn't win the 2020 superbowl. They were terrible so traded for Rodgers in 2021 when they win the 2021 superbowl with Rodgers giving them the 32 2022 pick and then win 2022 superbowl giving them 32 in 2023.
You are right they didn't win the 2020 Super Bowl. I also didn't say they did. I thought you said we wouldn't trade Rodgers until 2022? Even if that was a typo, why would we trade Rodgers in 2021 and not get a 2021 1st round pick? Are you saying we would wait until after the draft to trade Rodgers? Why would we do that and have to eat his 2021 dead salary? Why not then keep him for 2021 and then trade him after we will the Super Bowl that year because he was so good?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 May 2020 21:08
bud fox wrote:
13 May 2020 20:22
Pckfn23 wrote:

You are right they didn't win the 2020 Super Bowl. I also didn't say they did. I thought you said we wouldn't trade Rodgers until 2022? Even if that was a typo, why would we trade Rodgers in 2021 and not get a 2021 1st round pick? Are you saying we would wait until after the draft to trade Rodgers? Why would we do that and have to eat his 2021 dead salary? Why not then keep him for 2021 and then trade him after we will the Super Bowl that year because he was so good?
The premise is that Love looks halfway decent in this preseason and probably plays a little during this regular season, again looking decent but not great. The Packers trade Rodgers after this post season and before the draft, picking up a top 10 1st round pick while perhaps giving up their 3rd or 4th round pick depending on whether it is the 3nd pick or the 10th pick. The Packers would also get a high pick in the 2022 draft, probably a 2nd rounder.

The dead cap hurts but not nearly as much as losing 2 of our top FA's next year who the Packers can't keep with their salary cap problems. And getting a high 1st round pick plus their own pick of about 25 is going to put the Packers in a very good place a year from now.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Unlike many, I do not assume that Love will be very good. I haven't really seen much of him in college except for the LSU game last year and he looked absolutely abysmal in this game. He certainly showed no skills or decision-making that would lead me to believe he would ever be a decent NFL QB. I will hold out any thoughts of such a trade until much more information is available.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

williewasgreat wrote:
14 May 2020 07:38
Unlike many, I do not assume that Love will be very good. I haven't really seen much of him in college except for the LSU game last year and he looked absolutely abysmal in this game. He certainly showed no skills or decision-making that would lead me to believe he would ever be a decent NFL QB. I will hold out any thoughts of such a trade until much more information is available.
I think thats a pretty big piece of this. Some are assuming because past Packers administrations nailed it on Favre trade and Rodgers draft selection, that this move must be a continuation of some sort of genius. We have to remember that we got him as late as we did, because 25 other teams passed on him, and the Pats who "need" a qb also just passed on him. We arent dealing with some top 5 pick that should be even in the convo for dethroning rodgers at this point. Thats why i give props to andy for working out the numbers. More than most click bait articles offer, but it is still click bait. Unrealistic.

Love really might be the next guy, but if its anything less than two seasons away...he better be HOF good, and quick.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

williewasgreat wrote:
If you want to see Love play then all the film is out there online. Both game cut ups and film breakdowns. I caught zero live Utah State games last year but have watched most of Love's snaps in a relatively short amount of time since the draft.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C3J ... -A6dw/edit
Last edited by British on 14 May 2020 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Drj820 wrote:
14 May 2020 07:49
williewasgreat wrote:
I think thats a pretty big piece of this. Some are assuming because past Packers administrations nailed it on Favre trade and Rodgers draft selection, that this move must be a continuation of some sort of genius. We have to remember that we got him as late as we did, because 25 other teams passed on him, and the Pats who "need" a qb also just passed on him. We arent dealing with some top 5 pick that should be even in the convo for dethroning rodgers at this point. Thats why i give props to andy for working out the numbers. More than most click bait articles offer, but it is still click bait. Unrealistic.

Love really might be the next guy, but if its anything less than two seasons away...he better be HOF good, and quick.
Agreed. Love was a late first. How many QBs picked that late come in and look good quickly? Not many. The reason Green Bay is a good landing spot for Love is exactly because he won't be needed to play soon. Hopefully not for 2-3 more years.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

British wrote:
14 May 2020 10:03
Drj820 wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:

Agreed. Love was a late first. How many QBs picked that late come in and look good quickly? Not many. The reason Green Bay is a good landing spot for Love is exactly because he won't be needed to play soon. Hopefully not for 2-3 more years.
cripes about 50% of the top 10 drafted QB's bust or are never better then average, and Love is not rated top 10, I tend to think we just couldn't pass on Love, and if they don't feel comfortable that he can be THE GUY after this season they might take another next year, I'am hoping Lafleur will play the kid in the blowouts this year :lol:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

williewasgreat wrote:
So until Love can show that he can be our next franchise QB it would be foolish to even contemplate trading Rodgers. Until Rodgers showed how good he was Favre wasn't going anywhere either until he "retired".

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

williewasgreat wrote:
You watched him vs the LSU team. May I ask how many LSU players were 1st round? I will save you the trouble. Of the top 32 picks, 5 were from LSU. 14 of their players were drafted. Meanwhile do you know how many players from Utah State were drafted? That's correct, only 1. Love was going up against the best college team with receivers that could not get open, RB's that couldn't run and an Oline that could not block. Exactly what did you expect him to look like?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
14 May 2020 10:32
British wrote:
14 May 2020 10:03
Drj820 wrote:

cripes about 50% of the top 10 drafted QB's bust or are never better then average, and Love is not rated top 10, I tend to think we just couldn't pass on Love, and if they don't feel comfortable that he can be THE GUY after this season they might take another next year, I'am hoping Lafleur will play the kid in the blowouts this year :lol:
Love was not rated top 10?
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... arterbacks
He was rated #3.
https://walterfootball.com/draft2020QB.php
He was rated #4 here

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:25
NCF wrote:
13 May 2020 09:19
BF004 wrote:
13 May 2020 09:17
New England
Man, that would be wild.
There are 5 teams I could legit see trading for him.

New Orleans and New England, because they are legit good and well coached and managed and may obviously need a QB and push for a few SB runs.

And then Washington and Las Vegas because they are who they are.

Denver because they do have some high end pieces and some real good receiving potential in Jeudy and Fant and Elway isn’t afraid to pull that trigger and it worked last time they got that HOF QB.
I could see New England doing it next year. After all, in 2021 he would only cost them $14.7 million and $25 million each of the following years. And does anyone think Rodgers wouldn't want to work with "hoodie"? They would get a $15 million HOF QB with another $73 million in cap space to spend.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Raptorman wrote:
15 May 2020 10:41
I could see New England doing it next year. After all, in 2021 he would only cost them $14.7 million and $25 million each of the following years. And does anyone think Rodgers wouldn't want to work with "hoodie"? They would get a $15 million HOF QB with another $73 million in cap space to spend.
(bolding mine)

BB: Glad to have you aboard, Aaron. I thought we'd go over the basics of our system first while we wait for Josh.
Arod: It's great to be here; I can't wait to learn!
BB: Now, the most important thing about our system is to get the ball out quick. Lots of routes to the backs, 'lotta short routes by the receivers. Don't be afraid to take the check-downs and stay in rhythm.
Arod: Wait, what?
BB: Yeah, our receivers aren't so hot, but you're used to that, right?
Arod: Sure, but what did you say about "get it out quick"?
BB: I said we gotta get the ball out quick. Can't have you taking hits back there waiting for these guys to get open. Sacks and throwaways just kill drives.
Arod: Um, OK, and what about this "rhythm"?
BB: Yeah we like to keep things clicking, keep the 3rd downs manageable.
Arod: .....
BB: Hey, are you OK?
Arod: ...I think I've made a terrible mistake! (Arod runs out of the office)
Josh: What happened?! I passed Aaron running down the hallway screaming into his phone.
BB: It's the damnedest thing! I was just talking about our system and he up and ran out!
Josh: Huh...
BB: Do you think it was me? Does my hoodie smell again? I know I haven't washed it since the playoffs, but, hell, I'm a coach, not a wall street businessman. You'd tell me if it did, right Josh? Right?
Josh: .....
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pugger wrote:
14 May 2020 11:07
williewasgreat wrote:
So until Love can show that he can be our next franchise QB it would be foolish to even contemplate trading Rodgers. Until Rodgers showed how good he was Favre wasn't going anywhere either until he "retired".
Love was drafted because turn on the tape, and the guy has the arm to be the next great. He really does. MUCH better than Kizer ever had, and that dude had a strong arm (with a loooong windup, which Love doesn't need). [mention]williewasgreat[/mention] do check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110

But Love does have faults that need to be corrected, which is why he wasn't a consideration for an insta-starter and high 1st round. He got baited with simple stuff in college. The last year with sweeping changes to the talent around him and coaching threw him off. He needs time and coaching to get the NFL QB in him to emerge.

I'm not guaranteeing that'll ever happen. It's possible Love busts right outta the league. We have an Aaron Rodgers until such time Love shows enough promise to take more chances upon.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

williewasgreat wrote:
I am not convinced he will be very good, either. Arm talent? Sure. But he lacks literally everything else.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

based on?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean it's not outlandish to think Love won't be very good. Statistically you are right in saying that.

Just like I will likely be right in saying that the Packers won't win it all this year.

But I also remember the vast majority of Packers fans not only thought but stated in spring 2007 that Rodgers will be a bust too and were all for trading him to Oakland to get Moss so we could salvage that pick.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.