Why an Aaron Rodgers trade could come sooner than you think

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
15 May 2020 20:43
williewasgreat wrote:
14 May 2020 07:38
Unlike many, I do not assume that Love will be very good. I haven't really seen much of him in college except for the LSU game last year and he looked absolutely abysmal in this game. He certainly showed no skills or decision-making that would lead me to believe he would ever be a decent NFL QB. I will hold out any thoughts of such a trade until much more information is available.
I am not convinced he will be very good, either. Arm talent? Sure. But he lacks literally everything else.
He literally lacks nothing else. He has to put it all together, that's on him, but skill set-wise, what doesn't he have?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 May 2020 07:37
I mean it's not outlandish to think Love won't be very good. Statistically you are right in saying that.

Just like I will likely be right in saying that the Packers won't win it all this year.

But I also remember the vast majority of Packers fans not only thought but stated in spring 2007 that Rodgers will be a bust too and were all for trading him to Oakland to get Moss so we could salvage that pick.
whaaaaaaaaa? I don't remember anyone that wanted to trade Rodgers for Moss, not anyone, where are you getting this vast majority from?
we saw plenty of promise with Rodgers right away, the best thing for him though is what is likely to happen with Love, sit and learn the mental part of the NFL game, and perfect his technical ability, worse thing you can do is start a QB before he is ready.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
16 May 2020 08:03
whaaaaaaaaa? I don't remember anyone that wanted to trade Rodgers for Moss, not anyone, where are you getting this vast majority from?
we saw plenty of promise with Rodgers right away
Tons of people did. It was all over, everywhere. Rodgers didn't show anything outside of suckiness until 2007 preseason... after the Moss trade didn't happen.

Personally, I remember that well. I wanted Moss. I preferred they give up a draft pick instead of Rodgers, but if it would have come down to it, I would have been fine with it. Good thing it didn't go down that way.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I remember that too. I deny being angry or skeptical of the Rodgers pick when we drafted him, but I do remember and confess to wanting to trade him for Moss when that trade rumor was buzzing, especially since he had looked pretty underwhelming up to that point.

And I never imagined I'd look back on that and thank everything good and holy that we elected to keep Rodgers instead.

The funny thing is, if we'd have done it, it probably would have also looked like the right call: Moss and Favre would have put on a show for a few years, not unlike Moss did with TB12, and Rodgers probably would have been held back in a big way by going to the dysfunctional, Al Davis-run Raiders and ultimately had a mediocre start to his career. Even if he did end up going to a more stable situation after that, he likely still would not have come close to the success he has had. But a few years of Favre & Moss would not have made up for the career that Rodgers had with us, of course.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
16 May 2020 08:46
Yoop wrote:
Tons of people did. It was all over, everywhere. Rodgers didn't show anything outside of suckiness until 2007 preseason... after the Moss trade didn't happen.

Personally, I remember that well. I wanted Moss. I preferred they give up a draft pick instead of Rodgers, but if it would have come down to it, I would have been fine with it. Good thing it didn't go down that way.
I remember the trade hinging on some draft picks, not Rodgers, I don't think he sucked either, why do people have to exaggerate everything, when he went in the few times for Favre, we would have needed a miracle, so blaming Rodgers isn't really accurate.

trading Rodgers for Moss imho was never in the works, why would anyone trade a up and coming talent like Rodgers for a WR with maybe 2 or 3 end of career declining seasons, and they ended up being just that.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
16 May 2020 07:41
wallyuwl wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:
14 May 2020 07:38
Unlike many, I do not assume that Love will be very good. I haven't really seen much of him in college except for the LSU game last year and he looked absolutely abysmal in this game. He certainly showed no skills or decision-making that would lead me to believe he would ever be a decent NFL QB. I will hold out any thoughts of such a trade until much more information is available.
I am not convinced he will be very good, either. Arm talent? Sure. But he lacks literally everything else.
He literally lacks nothing else. He has to put it all together, that's on him, but skill set-wise, what doesn't he have?
Skill set he has everything. He needs experience and good coaching. The only question is whether he will start in the 2021/22 season or the 2022/23 season. And that will be decided by AR.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
16 May 2020 14:28
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I remember the trade hinging on some draft picks, not Rodgers, I don't think he sucked either, why do people have to exaggerate everything, when he went in the few times for Favre, we would have needed a miracle, so blaming Rodgers isn't really accurate.

trading Rodgers for Moss imho was never in the works, why would anyone trade a up and coming talent like Rodgers for a WR with maybe 2 or 3 end of career declining seasons, and they ended up being just that.
Fine. He was put in poor situations, but he didn't show anything to prove he was an NFL QB in any one of those opportunities. He was also God-awful in the two preseasons preceding 2007. He looked like a brand new QB, then.

You don't have to believe the Moss stuff, but it was picked up by everyone in the know and pretty universally understood that those conversations took place, whether Ted would have really pulled the trigger, we will never know. On Draft Day, it was rumored to be the draft pick, but Ted was adamant that Randy had to commit two seasons and Moss only wanted to do one.

Read More. Post Less.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
16 May 2020 14:35
NCF wrote:
16 May 2020 07:41
wallyuwl wrote:

Skill set he has everything. He needs experience and good coaching. The only question is whether he will start in the 2021/22 season or the 2022/23 season. And that will be decided by AR.
Kizer had basically the same skill set. So did Rich Campbell and Don Horn. Many QBs have great skills but never amount to anything. Being a great QB has less to do with skills than with what's between the ears. That's why I say I will not assume anything about Love until he actually plays NFL football.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
16 May 2020 15:26
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

Fine. He was put in poor situations, but he didn't show anything to prove he was an NFL QB in any one of those opportunities. He was also God-awful in the two preseasons preceding 2007. He looked like a brand new QB, then.

You don't have to believe the Moss stuff, but it was picked up by everyone in the know and pretty universally understood that those conversations took place, whether Ted would have really pulled the trigger, we will never know. On Draft Day, it was rumored to be the draft pick, but Ted was adamant that Randy had to commit two seasons and Moss only wanted to do one.
I disagree with both points, Rodgers was just as good as any young QB, more playing time back then would have shown that.

and back then I was in the know, and Rodgers was never a consideration in the trade for Moss, least not from anyone connected to our front office, Rodgers was far better and had far higher team value then your making it sound.

people want to make LOve into just as good as Rodgers at this stage, but he doesn't come with the same college pedigree, was never spoken of as a #1 pick, and if this was the 2018 draft class he would have been a 2nd round pick, so I'll wait till I see him play some before even thinking that he'll ever be good enough for us to Peddle Aaron in a couple years

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
17 May 2020 07:26
NCF wrote:
16 May 2020 15:26
Yoop wrote:

I disagree with both points, Rodgers was just as good as any young QB, more playing time back then would have shown that.

and back then I was in the know, and Rodgers was never a consideration in the trade for Moss, least not from anyone connected to our front office, Rodgers was far better and had far higher team value then your making it sound.

people want to make LOve into just as good as Rodgers at this stage, but he doesn't come with the same college pedigree, was never spoken of as a #1 pick, and if this was the 2018 draft class he would have been a 2nd round pick, so I'll wait till I see him play some before even thinking that he'll ever be good enough for us to Peddle Aaron in a couple years
If Love would have come out after his 2018 season he would have still been a first round pick. His 2018 season in college was much better than 2019.