Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
12 Jan 2022 15:12
go pak go wrote:
12 Jan 2022 10:51
The angst of the hire from fans looking back is pretty funny now.
I remember considering the hire underwhelming. That's what happens when you take the very little information available and make big sweeping proclamations with it. Not that I did that... I really didn't, but, still. To sit here now, how wrong was I while at the same time not nearly as wrong as a lot of other fans who are more prone to such behavior.
I was definitely underwhelmed after his first press conference.

He was so nervous.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

salmar80 wrote:
10 Jan 2022 05:42
Peter King highlighting what a beautiful human being Antonio Brown is... :messedup:
“Brady can’t do s— by himself. But you guys are going to make it seem like he’s just this heroic guy. We’re all humans, bro.”

—Antonio Brown, who twice was offered a bed in Tom Brady’s homes (once in Massachusetts and once in Florida), and whose Super Bowl ring in 2020 was largely a result of Brady pushing hard for the Bucs to sign him, and who was strongly backed by Brady after he angrily stripped off his jersey and pads on the sidelines in mid-game last week and ran off the field, to the hosts of the Full Send Podcast on Tom Brady.
Eh, it'd be nice to have a full transcript of that part of the discussion for complete context. On paper those 3 short sentences do make AB sound like an asshole, but my gut is that PK zeroed in on that one excerpt for shock value.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I loved it, LaFleur was my favorite choice of our I believe 8 interviewees.

I'll try not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I actually don't remember much of a bad reaction around here (or packersnews.net)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 17:07

I'll try not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I actually don't remember much of a bad reaction around here (or packersnews.net)
No by and large this forum wanted that McVay style really bad. We saw our passing game become so disjointed and out of rhythm we begged for this style to help revive Rodgers.

I was a little nervous when I watched his press conference but gave him the benefit of the doubt.

His track record of the QB having their best year while he was there was just too good to ignore. Guys like Zach Kruse also did a really good job explaining how offense should make throwing the ball easy compared to what MM was doing in the later stage of his GB tenure.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

"Impressive clip of lefluer talking about exactly what we need Rodgers to relearn. I’m getting excited about this hire."

Happy to say my first post about the hire was bopping the beat writers for swearing Mcdaniels was going to be the hire, and my second expressed excitement. :aok:

This is the clip I was referencing:

Last edited by Drj820 on 12 Jan 2022 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Too bad we are losing game the posts.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Jan 2022 16:26
Eh, it'd be nice to have a full transcript of that part of the discussion for complete context. On paper those 3 short sentences do make AB sound like an asshole, but my gut is that PK zeroed in on that one excerpt for shock value.
I think so. Peter is definitely feathering his nest with those comments - both from the shock value perspective and for carrying Brady's water. He knows those comments will be picked up/quoted/tweeted- so King is feeding that machine. But more importantly, Peter needs access to players and coaches to do his job. So he's not shy about buttering them up, defending them or putting out their version of a story.

That one above reads like Brady's PR team wrote it, with light editing from Peter King.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
12 Jan 2022 17:07

MLF was actually not my top choice of interviews (Flores was), but I still like to give myself all the back pats for bringing him up first as a guy I would be interested in--before MM was even fired. This conversation took place November 18th, a full 2 weeks before McCarthy was fired
image.png
image.png (95.83 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Then defended him against my comment haters:
LaFleur, admittedly, is struggling with the Titans' offense, but they're winning, Mariota has a career high completion percentage, and they don't have nearly the tools we do on that side of the ball. Meanwhile he coordinated the Rams top offense last year (when Goff transitioned into a legit player) and was Matt Ryan's QB coach for the the MVP year.

He seems to get the best out of QBs.
YoHoChecko wrote:
packfntk wrote:Lafleur is winning because of the defense, not the offense. That offense has been a train wreck besides the last two weeks.
but he QB coached Matt Ryan to his flukishly good MVP season and then coordinated under McVeigh to oversee Goff's total 180 from bust to franchise QB.

So he has experience in different schemes getting talented QBs to up their games. Tennessee has a bad OLine, injured RBs, like 1 WR, and a TE weapon that went down for the season right off the bat.

And yet Mariota has completed 67% of his passes (compared to Rodgers' 62%).

Remember, we hired McCarthy after coordinating the league's worst offense, but did so based on this 6 previous years with the Saints, making things happen, rather than judging him based on his one season with a bad team leading to a bad offense.
But again, I'll point out that you are literally ONLY looking at the current year. I think his 3-year track record merits some consideration right now, and that the Titans offense has incredibly limited tools to work with (including Mariota). He coached Matt Ryan to his best year as a pro, and coordinated the Rams turnaround on offense last year under McVeigh.

And again, McCarthy coordinated the 32nd defense in the league before taking this job, and he was a prolific offensive mind for the first half of his tenure, at least.
8-)

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Eh....I'm just not seeing it YoHoChecko. ;)
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Jan 2022 20:56

Shoulders must be hurting twisting them around patting yourself on the back like that. :lol:

So serious question. Who would be good hires for the Vikings and the Bears? And don't worry, I'm sure whoever you pick won't be their pick.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Raptorman wrote:
13 Jan 2022 00:36
YoHoChecko wrote:

Shoulders must be hurting twisting them around patting yourself on the back like that. :lol:

So serious question. Who would be good hires for the Vikings and the Bears? And don't worry, I'm sure whoever you pick won't be their pick.
[mention]YoHoChecko[/mention] it's a trap! Do not share intel with the enemy! :nono:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Dom Capers is floating around out there yet.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
13 Jan 2022 07:08
Raptorman wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I thought he was working for the Lions still? Or did they can him too? Dude's had just a few jobs in his career! No one kept him longer than we did.
image.png
image.png (51.63 KiB) Viewed 388 times
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
13 Jan 2022 07:12
BF004 wrote:
13 Jan 2022 07:08
Raptorman wrote:

I thought he was working for the Lions still? Or did they can him too? Dude's had just a few jobs in his career! No one kept him longer than we did.
image.png
It would be funny if Dan Quinn leaves and McCarthy hires Dom back as his DC.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Raptorman wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

I know the Bears want Harbough. I hope he goes there. I think he will make that turd look good for a year or two and then the experiment will implode.

I could see the Bears liking Flores too, but they would be smart to find a guru for Fields.

Hopefully the Vikings and Bears butcher the hiring process.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ratings update = $$$$ for 2023 and beyond :mrgreen:
By Jay Hart

In the non-breaking news category, NFL ratings are back to their pre-pandemic levels … and then some.

The league released its regular season report Wednesday, which showed a 10 percent increase year over year, with an average viewership of — get this — 17.1 million per game. And if you’re looking for some comparison as to how much bigger the NFL audience is than its competitors, its Christmas Day game between the Browns and Packers attracted 28.6 million. The NBA, meanwhile, peaked at 5.8 million for its late game between the Nets and Lakers.

Here are some overall takeaways, starting with that Christmas Day rating:
  • - Expect more games on Christmas. As part of its contract with FOX, the NFL allotted “special” Christmas Day games as “the schedule allows.” That typically meant Thursdays and, this year, Saturday. Don’t be surprised if Friday gets in on the mix, too, meaning the only time there wouldn’t be football on Christmas Day is when the 25th falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • - Expect the Cowboys to continue to dominate primetime. Seven of the 20 most-watched games this season featured “America’s Team.” You may not like watching ‘em, but you’re in the minority.
  • - Expect the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving … forever. This year’s game against the Chicago Bears — a then 0-9-1 team vs. a 3-7 team — drew 28.2 million viewers … the fourth-most watched game of the season. It’s a guaranteed rating, meaning there’s no need to waste a big gun when a slingshot will do just fine.
Whatever the reason sports ratings dipped in 2020 — the multitude of entertainment options, the pandemic, politics — the NFL has managed to bounce back the strongest. NBA, MLB and NHL ratings have ticked up, too, but they continue to lag way behind the NFL. We’re talking stratospheric differences here when a regular-season NFL game is drawing double Game 6 of a World Series.

The question going forward is how much of the ratings pie is the NFL going to chew up? The product is good — 34 games this season were decided on the final play — plus its compatibility with fantasy is perfect, and it’s the preferred choice of bettors. Meanwhile, the NBA is rolling out G-leaguers, MLB is in a lockout, NASCAR is willing itself into starless irrelevance, the NHL lives on its postseason (which is great, by the way) … all while Netflix and Amazon spend billions making really good television.

There are a lot more entertainment choices, but still only so much time in the day. Apparently, there’s always time for the NFL.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

But I thought NFL viewership was in a death spiral?! :hide:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Jan 2022 08:30
Ratings update = $$$$ for 2023 and beyond :mrgreen:
By Jay Hart

In the non-breaking news category, NFL ratings are back to their pre-pandemic levels … and then some.

The league released its regular season report Wednesday, which showed a 10 percent increase year over year, with an average viewership of — get this — 17.1 million per game. And if you’re looking for some comparison as to how much bigger the NFL audience is than its competitors, its Christmas Day game between the Browns and Packers attracted 28.6 million. The NBA, meanwhile, peaked at 5.8 million for its late game between the Nets and Lakers.

Here are some overall takeaways, starting with that Christmas Day rating:
  • - Expect more games on Christmas. As part of its contract with FOX, the NFL allotted “special” Christmas Day games as “the schedule allows.” That typically meant Thursdays and, this year, Saturday. Don’t be surprised if Friday gets in on the mix, too, meaning the only time there wouldn’t be football on Christmas Day is when the 25th falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • - Expect the Cowboys to continue to dominate primetime. Seven of the 20 most-watched games this season featured “America’s Team.” You may not like watching ‘em, but you’re in the minority.
  • - Expect the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving … forever. This year’s game against the Chicago Bears — a then 0-9-1 team vs. a 3-7 team — drew 28.2 million viewers … the fourth-most watched game of the season. It’s a guaranteed rating, meaning there’s no need to waste a big gun when a slingshot will do just fine.
Whatever the reason sports ratings dipped in 2020 — the multitude of entertainment options, the pandemic, politics — the NFL has managed to bounce back the strongest. NBA, MLB and NHL ratings have ticked up, too, but they continue to lag way behind the NFL. We’re talking stratospheric differences here when a regular-season NFL game is drawing double Game 6 of a World Series.

The question going forward is how much of the ratings pie is the NFL going to chew up? The product is good — 34 games this season were decided on the final play — plus its compatibility with fantasy is perfect, and it’s the preferred choice of bettors. Meanwhile, the NBA is rolling out G-leaguers, MLB is in a lockout, NASCAR is willing itself into starless irrelevance, the NHL lives on its postseason (which is great, by the way) … all while Netflix and Amazon spend billions making really good television.

There are a lot more entertainment choices, but still only so much time in the day. Apparently, there’s always time for the NFL.
nothing goes together better on Thanksgiving day then a plump turkey drum stick, Bud light, and Football :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
13 Jan 2022 08:34
But I thought NFL viewership was in a death spiral?! :hide:
25 Million tuned in to watch Love play the Chiefs.
RIP JustJeff