Aaron Rodgers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
16 May 2020 07:50
Captain_Ben wrote:
15 May 2020 17:45
Drj820 wrote:
15 May 2020 17:38
Lots of people say they don’t see him playing very late, or he won’t go as long as brees or Brady...but coming from his actual mouth we have heard nothing of the sorts. He’s always said he wants to play into his 40s.

Guess everyone thinks he’s joking.
I don't doubt his sincerity. I think that unless he adjusts his game, he will sustain a major injury and not be able to play that long. He continues to hold the ball for too long. Old bodies don't absorb hits as well. Dump it off quick like Brady!
I don't know why people think that has not already been happening, we know in our own selves that change doesn't happen fast, so why do we expect it to happen for a QB thats played in basically one system for a doz years, we saw him miss some check downs or open receivers less imo as the season progressed, less scrambling or extending plays late season too, and plenty of it was actually do to receivers not able to perform there end of the deal, yet no one wants to blame those stooges, just Rodgers.
I agree we saw a slight improvement in this aspect of his game in 2019. I hope he continues to adjust as he ages. For whatever reason, it has been a struggle for him. I tend to agree that the receiving corps has had a not insignificant role in this, but he has earned his own share of the blame as well.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
15 May 2020 17:38
Lots of people say they don’t see him playing very late, or he won’t go as long as brees or Brady...but coming from his actual mouth we have heard nothing of the sorts. He’s always said he wants to play into his 40s.

Guess everyone thinks he’s joking.
I don't doubt his sincerity. I think that unless he adjusts his game, he will sustain a major injury and not be able to play that long. He continues to hold the ball for too long. Old bodies don't absorb hits as well. Dump it off quick like Brady!
I don't know why people think that has not already been happening, we know in our own selves that change doesn't happen fast, so why do we expect it to happen for a QB thats played in basically one system for a doz years, we saw him miss some check downs or open receivers less imo as the season progressed, less scrambling or extending plays late season too, and plenty of it was actually do to receivers not able to perform there end of the deal, yet no one wants to blame those stooges, just Rodgers.
No one is calling AR a stooge. Yet you persist in calling the receivers stooges. Why is this OK with you? Even Allison with all his physical limitations is signed with the Lions. You need to show some respect for the team you claim to be a fan of.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 May 2020 03:04
Yoop wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

No one is calling AR a stooge. Yet you persist in calling the receivers stooges. Why is this OK with you? Even Allison with all his physical limitations is signed with the Lions. You need to show some respect for the team you claim to be a fan of.
why should I show respect for a FO that screwed over 2 first ballot HOF QB's, it's a insult to us fans and Mike McCarthy to allow the decline at WR to limit his areal circus the last 4 or 5 seasons, we fans deserve the best football we can get from these very rare QB's, instead we got receivers that take years to coach up, we should have traded all of those mid round picks for a 2nd rounder and picked a player that could be coached up sooner, not so raw, thats why my nephew called them the stooges, what good is 3 darts to throw at the board if your freaking QB retires before they end up being any good.

people that are satisfied with the way this team has been drafting for this offense, or blame Rodgers for it's woes, are clueless.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Screwed over? You act like the QBs are blameless. :messedup:

Go look at Favre's stats from 1999-2006.
Did the front office guys throw all those INTs? No.
Did they tell him to waffle about retirement? No.
Did they throw that killer INT versus the Giants in 2007? No.

Let's look at some of AR's playoff games over the years:
Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT
Giants 2011 - 56.5%, 264 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 78.5 rating, 1 fumble lost
49ers 2013 - Just 177 yards passing, 1 TD
Seahawks 2014 - 55.88%, 178 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 55.8 rating
Cardinals 2015 - 54.6%, 261 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 77.9 rating
49ers 2019 - 2 TD, 2 INT, 3 fumbles, 1 fumble lost
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
17 May 2020 18:58

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT
Don't bring in ridiculous stats, facts, and data to try and make a rational case on this topic. Aaron Rodgers only has one ring and his failures from 2011 - 2020 is because TT didn't draft a WR in 2016 or 2017 (with Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Montgomery already in the WR room) and Gute's answer was drafting 3 WRs in rounds 4 - 6 in the 2018.

Everyone knows that by now.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT
2010- Interesting you bring up the only bad game he had on that playoff run against a really good defense.
2011- They lost to the eventual SB champions. That defense was atrocious all season and showed its ugliest colors in that game. If I remember right the offense dropped an ungodly amount of passes. All Rodgers fault Im sure. Not gonna mention the other fumbles by the ball carriers either I see.
2013- Played a historically great defense.
2014- Played a historically great defense. Also one INT shouldnt have been. Bennett jumped offsides. Rodgers had a free play and gave Adams a chance. Refs missed it somehow. Rodgers did everything he could vs that defense with that offense.
2015- Idk what you expected from a team that was decimated on offense. No Nelson. Cobb left early, Adams hurt his ankle and caused him to forget how to catch, the TE position may have well have been useless. And with all that he leads that team all for Damarious Randalls stupid ass to think we were in zone when everyone was playing man and turns Fitzgerald lose. That never got the amount of hatre that it deserves. That guy was a $%@# moron who was defended ad nauseam. When it comes to Rodgers any little thing he does wrong and everyone bitches.
2019- Again historic defense.

Its crazy. The offense has damn near but neglected for a decade and when the offense sputters Packer fans all do the pikachu socked face meme. It must be Rodgers fault! Maybe we just poured so much into the defense and neglected the offense so much that its starting to show on the field. Where is our historically great defense? It hasnt been here in years despite the resources. Its time people admit how poorly this team was ran and stop blaming the QB for all of it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
17 May 2020 21:19
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT
Don't bring in ridiculous stats, facts, and data to try and make a rational case on this topic. Aaron Rodgers only has one ring and his failures from 2011 - 2020 is because TT didn't draft a WR in 2016 or 2017 (with Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Montgomery already in the WR room) and Gute's answer was drafting 3 WRs in rounds 4 - 6 in the 2018.

your problem is you allow stats to make your mind up to much, you allow stats to over rule what you see, read Lupe's post, pretty accurate rendition of events.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yeah, I’m not saying Rodgers got “screwed” or anything. But he’s covered for so many sins over the last decade. It’s sort of gross how when things don’t go well, some fans want to aim all their ammo at Rodgers instead of just notice the obvious.

The defense has been a problem, it’s been a problem how long it’s taken them to just be adequate, the offense has been neglected, the team would never make the playoffs without Rodgers...and yes he hasn’t played his best ball in some playoff games. The answer is all of the above. But some feel giddy only explaining the reasons that point to 12.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 May 2020 01:25
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT
2010- Interesting you bring up the only bad game he had on that playoff run against a really good defense.
2011- They lost to the eventual SB champions. That defense was atrocious all season and showed its ugliest colors in that game. If I remember right the offense dropped an ungodly amount of passes. All Rodgers fault Im sure. Not gonna mention the other fumbles by the ball carriers either I see.
2014- Played a historically great defense. Also one INT shouldnt have been. Bennett jumped offsides. Rodgers had a free play and gave Adams a chance. Refs missed it somehow. Rodgers did everything he could vs that defense with that offense.
2015- Idk what you expected from a team that was decimated on offense. No Nelson. Cobb left early, Adams hurt his ankle and caused him to forget how to catch, the TE position may have well have been useless. And with all that he leads that team all for Damarious Randalls stupid ass to think we were in zone when everyone was playing man and turns Fitzgerald lose. That never got the amount of hatre that it deserves. That guy was a $%@# moron who was defended ad nauseam. When it comes to Rodgers any little thing he does wrong and everyone bitches.

Its crazy. The offense has damn near but neglected for a decade and when the offense sputters Packer fans all do the pikachu socked face meme. It must be Rodgers fault! Maybe we just poured so much into the defense and neglected the offense so much that its starting to show on the field. Where is our historically great defense? It hasnt been here in years despite the resources. Its time people admit how poorly this team was ran and stop blaming the QB for all of it.
you always make Randall out to be worse then he was, you become so Bobby McGinn about it to boot, which is " I didn't like the pick and will never ever like the player" ya act as though Randle is the only rookie to ever blow a zone read, or that he was the last line of defense against Fitz on that play, in reality Fitz ran right past a half doz defenders on his way to that score, Randall needed support help, same as Rodgers needed better offensive support to win some of those games.

two situations stand the test of time, once Favre got some decent receiver help we went to 2 SB's and won one, when Rodgers had decent receiver help we won one and should have went to another the next season as well, all else equal it seems decent receivers does the trick

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 May 2020 06:40
go pak go wrote:
17 May 2020 21:19
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT

your problem is you allow stats to make your mind up to much, you allow stats to over rule what you see, read Lupe's post, pretty accurate rendition of events.
So what does it matter if we had drafted WRs in 2016 - 2017 (again our WRs had Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Ty Mont already...all 2nd and 3rd Rd WRs) if we were just going to lose against historic defenses anways?

A historic talent QB played historic talents defenses and the historic talent defenses won.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 May 2020 07:24

two situations stand the test of time, once Favre got some decent receiver help we went to 2 SB's and won one, when Rodgers had decent receiver help we won one and should have went to another the next season as well, all else equal it seems decent receivers does the trick
This is cherry picking stats.

Rodgers had great receivers (3 stud Receivers or more) from 2008 - 2016. Rodgers in that time frame went to the playoffs 8 of 9 seasons and won one SB yes.

But he also lost playoff games in 6 of 7 of those seasons.
2009: 0-1; 2011: 0-1; 2012: 1-1; 2013: 0-1; 2014: 1-1; 2015: 1-1; 2016: 2-1
I don't think WR is the "trick" because we lost a lot more than we won. I think it is more that these things are really hard to get everything right and 2010 was the exception. Not the rule.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
18 May 2020 07:17
Yeah, I’m not saying Rodgers got “screwed” or anything. But he’s covered for so many sins over the last decade. It’s sort of gross how when things don’t go well, some fans want to aim all their ammo at Rodgers instead of just notice the obvious.

The defense has been a problem, it’s been a problem how long it’s taken them to just be adequate, the offense has been neglected, the team would never make the playoffs without Rodgers...and yes he hasn’t played his best ball in some playoff games. The answer is all of the above. But some feel giddy only explaining the reasons that point to 12.
I agree. And it's why I have wanted to continue investing in the defense because defense is where we lacked. Our investment in the defense finally saw such little return on investment it made me get on the "move on from TT and Capers" bandwagon. Something had to change because what we were doing was not working.

2014 and 2011 was our years. The fact we didn't do it those years makes us argue now. We know those were our years. Other years like 2013 and 2017 maybe could have been good but injury to Rodgers prematurely ended those seasons.

When I look at Rodgers "covering sins", I will agree the Packers started to decline on many levels after 2015 which is why we have seen the latest rebuild. But the narrative of Rodgers lifting the Packers to ridiculous levels and the Packers doing this mass disservice to him is primarily flagged because of three three plays (1 in DET in 2015, 2 in AZ 2015) and one incredible game (DAL 2016)

So just as much as we love to praise Rodgers for those games; we also need to be fair and look at the games where Rodgers had to be bailed out or didn't perform to any close level of playoff winning football.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 May 2020 09:27
Drj820 wrote:
18 May 2020 07:17

I agree. And it's why I have wanted to continue investing in the defense because defense is where we lacked. Our investment in the defense finally saw such little return on investment it made me get on the "move on from TT and Capers" bandwagon. Something had to change because what we were doing was not working.

2014 and 2011 was our years. The fact we didn't do it those years makes us argue now. We know those were our years. Other years like 2013 and 2017 maybe could have been good but injury to Rodgers prematurely ended those seasons.

When I look at Rodgers "covering sins", I will agree the Packers started to decline on many levels after 2015 which is why we have seen the latest rebuild. But the narrative of Rodgers lifting the Packers to ridiculous levels and the Packers doing this mass disservice to him is primarily flagged because of three three plays (1 in DET in 2015, 2 in AZ 2015) and one incredible game (DAL 2016)

So just as much as we love to praise Rodgers for those games; we also need to be fair and look at the games where Rodgers had to be bailed out or didn't perform to any close level of playoff winning football.
Dr J was spot on, thats all we've done is rebuild the defense year after year, we blamed that on Capers, when year after year Ted blew high picks on DL and edge rushers, so we fired Capers, hired Pettine and spent 150 mil. plus the highest pick we've had this decade on defense again.

on offense we fire the 2nd winningest coach we ever had, mostly because we didn't give him the talent his schemes required, how could we though, hell we couldn't give Capers what he needed either, but thats where all the high picks went, except for Devonte Adams, minus Rodgers the last 5 years and we could have picked top 10 every season, I spect top 5 at least once or twice, course isn't that what you wanted, tank a few seasons for better draft slotting?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 May 2020 11:17
I spect top 5 at least once or twice, course isn't that what you wanted, tank a few seasons for better draft slotting?
Absolutely. I'd rather be 4-12 than 6-10 depending on how and why we got there. 4-12 seasons is how the "historically great" defenses Rodgers played were built.

So yeah. When you have years like 2017 and 2018 where you know you still have a good core but you need infusion of another blue....yes. Give me a tank so I my team has a shot in 2019 - 2022.

But this whole conversation is about the chicken or the egg. Was the talent bad? Or was the scheming and coaching development not getting out the proper talent? I mean that's the very foundational question of every team building.

I think Datone Jones, Quinten Rollins and Jason Spriggs are the easy ones to state it was likely talent rather than anything else. All other players I think is a bit more grey.
Yoop wrote:

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Captain_Ben wrote:
16 May 2020 12:51
Yoop wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

I agree we saw a slight improvement in this aspect of his game in 2019. I hope he continues to adjust as he ages. For whatever reason, it has been a struggle for him. I tend to agree that the receiving corps has had a not insignificant role in this, but he has earned his own share of the blame as well.
Agree. But receivers are not his only options.

For whatever reason, when the play breaks down, most QB's look to their RB or TE to take a short gain, Rodgers runs around and tries to throw bombs. Rodgers passes up SO many easy firsts and easy yards in general looking for kill shots. The uncovered outlets are there, he just ignores them, and has his whole career. Now he did show some signs of improvement on that front, but he still has a long way to go before I'd say he's playing old QB ball.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 May 2020 01:25
Crazylegs Starks wrote:

Bears 2010 - 0 TD, 2 INT

Remember my post was in response to Yoop's "our QBs got screwed-over" assertion.

2011 - No one went into 2011 expecting the defense to suck so I don't see how we can blame the FO there. They built an elite offense, but still they failed in the playoffs. AR was part of that offense so he rightly gets a share of the blame.
2013 - We had three good receivers, plus Lacy, and only got 177 yards. The defense was actually decent that year. How can anyone say AR got screwed over?
2014 - Defense was really good late in the year. Lacy, Nelson, Cobb, Adams. Again, no screw job there. Your point about the INT that should not have been is taken.
2015 - I wasn't going to add this one, but that 55% and INT are not great even with those receivers.
2019 - Good opposing defense or not, how did AR get screwed this time?

2010 - I only brought up this game because that INT to Urlacher was terrible. AR was very lucky to have tripped him up. Had they lost, some blame would've been on AR.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Waldo wrote:
18 May 2020 12:28
Captain_Ben wrote:
16 May 2020 12:51
Yoop wrote:

Agree. But receivers are not his only options.

For whatever reason, when the play breaks down, most QB's look to their RB or TE to take a short gain, Rodgers runs around and tries to throw bombs. Rodgers passes up SO many easy firsts and easy yards in general looking for kill shots. The uncovered outlets are there, he just ignores them, and has his whole career. Now he did show some signs of improvement on that front, but he still has a long way to go before I'd say he's playing old QB ball.
Spot on, and this has been his biggest shortcoming. This pattern of play is the AR equivalent of Favre's interceptions. Both kill drives- it's just that one is a slow death by suffocation and the other is a quick bullet to the chest. These are perhaps imperfect analogies, but hopefully you get the point.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

2010: no excuses, Rodgers was garbo; luckily the D bailed us out.
2011: Not his fault, our D was trash and the receivers hung him out to dry (they had like 8 drops and there were fumbles iirc)
2013: I don't really remember this game well other than us getting gashed by CK7
2014: Rodgers was mediocre but he was also playing on one leg and was one of the smaller parts of the reason why we lost that one (ST play being the main offender).
2015: Yeah Rodgers was actually low-key incredible in this one given the WR skeleton crew he had to work with.
2019: Rodgers was not good but our run defense being SO BAD that the opposing quarterback attempted less than double-digit passes is the bigger story of this game. Rodgers could have played lights-out and likely still would have been screwed.

I'm not a Rodgers apologist by any stretch but you have to look a bit deeper than the stat-sheet with this stuff.

No mention of the 2016 Atlanta loss? Yeah our defense was !@#$-poor and we were likely losing that one regardless, but Rodgers and the offense did not put up a fight at all and seemed to fold well before the game was out of reach. Compare how we handled the adversity to how TB12 and the Pats did: we were down 24-0 at the half, the Pats were down 28-3 with only one quarter of play left. Yeah, sure, that Pats team was much better equipped to make the comeback that they did than we were, but still, the that game neatly illustrates why Brady is the GOAT and Rodgers is not. TB12 has the attitude of a winner. Rodgers has a defeatist attitude when things aren't going well.

*edit*
You guys have censored p!ss? Really?? Okay then...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Some people will just blame Rodgers. It is what it is. He will never be loved by the older generation for taking over for Favre. I think its a way of them coping with the fact that they supported TT for so long and didnt have the foresight to see what was happening to the team all along. And now its happening again but whatever.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Just watched the Rodgers conference call. Fantastic interview. He is so good at being honest while not throwing anyone under the bus; including Love and Gute.

Thought it was interesting he will continue to use the arm band. Loved the interview. Gawd I hope he kills it this year.
Yoop wrote: