Wild Card Games Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NFC Goes

Bucs, Cowboys, Rams
22%
Bucs, Cowboys, Cardinals
17%
Bucs, 49ers, Rams
39%
Bucs, 49ers, Cardinals
6%
Eagles, Cowboys, Rams
11%
Eagles, Cowboys, Cardinals
No votes
Eagles, 49ers, Rams
6%
Eagles, 49ers, Cardinals
No votes

Total votes: 18

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2022 14:30
I honestly thought Dallas did their last possession to perfection.

Their only flaw was Dak didn't hand the ball to the umpire. Otherwise they would have had a shot with like a 25 yard pass to win.
yep, Dak was moving them, then the brain fart, he had time for 3 hail mary's, why run at all when ya don't have a time out.

holding can be called on just about every play, it's really the discretion of the officials and they called a bunch of ticky tacky ones against Dallas.

McCarthy will get the blame, but I don't think he's the reason they lost, Kellen called that last play, that alone is enough to keep him off any short list for a HC gig.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
17 Jan 2022 14:47
go pak go wrote:

Their only flaw was Dak didn't hand the ball to the umpire. Otherwise they would have had a shot with like a 25 yard pass to win.
Calling a run, with no intention of the run going out of bounds, with only 14 seconds left and no timeouts, is wildly risky. Everything must be done right for it to work. You are taking on a massive risk, all for gaining what...15 yards closer to the end zone?

I would have preferred to not take that risk and throw two balls in the end zone from where they were before the Qb Draw. The first play could take up to 10 seconds and it would be just fine. Only rule in that scenario would be 1) throw it to the end zone, don’t throw an INT. Any incompletion is fine, anything but an INT is fine.

That seems like a better risk reward profile than running the ball and relying on everything to line up perfectly. I mean you just cannot run that play and forget that you HAVE to hand the ball to the ref. Wildly brutal mistake, of which the preparation must come under the microscope.
Both approaches are super low % of success. The QB draw successfully set up a 25 to 30 yard pass which is significantly higher % than just chucking it up. You can actually run a play out of that beyond just a hail mary.

Just because Dak didn't execute properly (buy either sliding too late or not giving the ball to the umpire) doesn't mean in my mind it was a poor decision. I was pretty impressed they were a second away from essentially being a reasonable throw away from winning that game.

Pretty impressive considering they needed 84 yards in 32 seconds with no TO's.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jan 2022 14:59
go pak go wrote:

yep, Dak was moving them, then the brain fart, he had time for 3 hail mary's, why run at all when ya don't have a time out.

holding can be called on just about every play, it's really the discretion of the officials and they called a bunch of ticky tacky ones against Dallas.

McCarthy will get the blame, but I don't think he's the reason they lost, Kellen called that last play, that alone is enough to keep him off any short list for a HC gig.
I wouldn't tack DAL's penalty issues to holding. They were almost all just really dumb pre-snap penalties or completely unnecessary penalties.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

McCarthy's explanation seemed reasonable. Try to get near the 20 so you can have 5 verticals instead of a hail mary. Make them spread their coverage across the end zone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
17 Jan 2022 15:20
McCarthy's explanation seemed reasonable. Try to get near the 20 so you can have 5 verticals instead of a hail mary. Make them spread their coverage across the end zone.
Exactly. Rodgers has always talked about how much higher the percentage of throw goes up once you get inside the 30 and especially at the 20 yard mark.

40 yards is a hail mary which is a very low % play.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2022 16:23
packman114 wrote:
17 Jan 2022 15:20
Exactly. Rodgers has always talked about how much higher the percentage of throw goes up once you get inside the 30 and especially at the 20 yard mark.

40 yards is a hail mary which is a very low % play.
All things equal, sure one would try to get as close as possible. But with no timeouts, the risk is just way large compared to the reward of getting in better position. for one, you are choosing to only take one shot at the end zone as opposed to potentially two from farther away...and secondly, if you dont execute getting lined up and snapping the ball flawlessly, you get no chance at the end zone.

I just dont buy the explanation once you factor in risk.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im pulling for the Rams tonight just because I think they have the best chance to beat the Bucs, and I dont think they can beat us at Lambeau.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Can I still be sour we didn’t land OBJ3?? Best hands catcher, favorite college prospect I’ve ever watched??

We would not be a worse team if we got him

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jan 2022 19:42
Can I still be sour we didn’t land OBJ3?? Best hands catcher, favorite college prospect I’ve ever watched??

We would not be a worse team if we got him
Yeah and as predicted, he made the Rams alot more dangerous. Really hard to cover him when you need two guys on Kupp.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

First and goal at the 3, cards keep a safety to jump a slant to OBJ, he fades and draws CB, pretty easy run up the middle.

Cards giving him due respect.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

After gone 7-0 the cards are going to finish the season 4-7. Packers beating them broke them.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Murray getting his receiver killed with &%$@ pass.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Kyler murray aint built for this.

Little man cant hang over the course of a full season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

little man needs to see if baseball will still have him.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I feel like we are somewhat accurately wildling down to the best 8 teams. Or very close to it.

Maybe I’d toss in Dallas over Tennessee, but we are close.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Murray should be rushing as much as he throws. He is like Sproles when he runs but always difficult for a running QB because they don't want to be branded as such.

He should be putting up record rushing numbers with how dynamic his running is.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pckfn23 wrote:
17 Jan 2022 20:10
After gone 7-0 the cards are going to finish the season 4-7. Packers beating them broke them.
Remembers me of our 2011 season. We won to the point they even talked about the 72 Dolphins record. Then KC beat us and once the blueprint was out, it was not like before…and the Giants walked over us with relative ease.

I also hear Dallas fans want to get rid of MM. If Dallas fires him I do not see another destination for him in the NFL, not one at least where u play for the Playoffs or more. Thoughts?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

German_Panzer wrote:
18 Jan 2022 05:01
Pckfn23 wrote:
Remembers me of our 2011 season. We won to the point they even talked about the 72 Dolphins record. Then KC beat us and once the blueprint was out, it was not like before…and the Giants walked over us with relative ease.

I also hear Dallas fans want to get rid of MM. If Dallas fires him I do not see another destination for him in the NFL, not one at least where u play for the Playoffs or more. Thoughts?
Going 4-7 after a loss and having Matt Flynn win the following week and then losing to the Giants is not even close to the same thing.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
18 Jan 2022 07:57
German_Panzer wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Going 4-7 after a loss and having Matt Flynn win the following week and then losing to the Giants is not even close to the same thing.
Kind of what I was thinking as well. I wouldn't even say KC provided any sort of blueprint at all. We simply turned the ball over 4 freaking times. We didn't turn the ball over at all against KC.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
I think the media just likes to bop McCarthy because of his appearance. Stephen Jones already said he expects McCarthy back next year. They had a good season minus the playoff failure. Most coaches get to come up short in the playoffs at least a few times before it costs them their jobs (seeing that making the playoffs and winning division indicates some level of success).

I dont think he is going anywhere just yet.