49ers @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/22 - 7:15 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What? What did I just read..? I'll let someone else handle the details.

Hand wringing... :roll: No team in the divisional round is bad and every game can be won or lost, but we have the best record in the NFL for a reason...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

German_Panzer wrote:
18 Jan 2022 18:29
This thread sounds a lot like the Cowboys forums must have looked a week ago...and we know how it ended. :dunno: I have much respect for these 49ers. They have a pretty clever coach, the have a run game, we play with heavy expectations, they play without heavy expectations, we have an offense that sometimes starts pretty slow, we have a defense that's still suspicious, we did not win any NFC game at home in this millenium, we are maybe rusty, they are not, ok they have Jimmy G, but again: they have a run game. I think this game will go to the wire, it won't be a blow-out.

My concern is that deep into their heads they do underestimate the 49ers like some do here. If it is the NFC game it won't happen, especially not with Uncle Tom coming to town, but they beat the 49ers, they feel an advantage over them due to home field, Bye-week. All this can easily lead to a bad start and these 49ers are not Seattle of 2008 where you could start 0-14 and then still with 42-24.
The Pack should be confident they are the better team. Id bet the farm that they arent sleeping on SF. They will be laser focused.

I always find it funny that bc fans are being fans that their team is thinking the same.

SF is good but not great. Lets not turn them into some monster that has been wrecking teams. Nobody is that. They are a good team with some weaknesses like us. The most important position in this game will matter and for us that is AR and they have Jimmy G.

I like our chances more then a little call me over confident ;)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2022 16:29
texas wrote:
18 Jan 2022 16:28
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2022 15:56
Our run defense is fine when we want it to be fine as well as healthy and with the secondary we have there is no reason we wouldn't make run defense the top priority.
Let's hope
Don't need to hope really, we have precedent for it this year.
Packers D gave up 4.7 yards per rush. Niners D gave up 4.0 yards per rush.

Packers and Niners Offense both averaged 4.3 yards per rush.

Somehow the Packers D needs to tighten up its rush defense on Saturday. Very few think Jimmy G can beat the Packers via an aerial attack. Stop the run and win or tie the turnover battle ............. and its the Packers in the 2021 season NFCCG.

Cobb, Adams, MVS, Deguara, Jones, Dillon and Rodgers ......... should be too much for the Niners D to handle.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Niners are a good team.

Stop the run and maul receivers within the first 10 yards. Make Jimmy G beat us mid-long range.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
18 Jan 2022 09:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Jan 2022 09:53
I'm trying to figure out why it is said that the 49ers have this spectacular rushing offense that will give us fits more than any other team. They have the same Y/C that we do at 4.3. According to PFR we have a much greater expected points out of our running game.

It actuality when you look at what has been driving their offense, it is their passing game.
I think there definitely is some laziness when evaluating them right now. They've gone on a nice little run and everyone is acting like they're the 2019 version of the 49ers, which they definitely are not. They still scare me, but not like I felt going into that Championship Game 2 years ago. Not even close.
Some also think we are the same team we were in 2019 and we are definitely not that either.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The critical factor is going to be Time of Possession. The Packers D will have Z and Jaire for only part of the game if they Packers O does not stay on the field. The last thing the Packers need is to have the score close in the 4th quarter and have these 2 on the bench because the Packers O went 3-and-out too many times and they are gassed.

I guess that if I were MLF, I would not even put MVS on the field, that way Rodgers can't overthrow him and go 3-and-out. Play the game with Adams, Lazard and Cobb. And I would start Quadzilla

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

It is super funny to me that fans have wanted to go all-in, for GB to build such a great team as to be the favorites in every playoff game.

Now that we have that, people worry we may get complacent because of being the favorites. :messedup: :dunno: :rotf:

I have a feeling some people want the security of knowing whether we'll win or lose.

Let me tell you a secret:
Spoiler
There is no way to build a team so strong that it can't lose in the NFL playoffs. Any Given Sunday combined with one and done... It is what it is. Deal with it. All you can do is to support the team.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The Pack should be confident. Very much so. There’s still game day when one more component enters the picture. What “edge” will the players take onto the field? Who is going to be hyped and play faster?

My keys:
1. Some combination of Cobb/MVS/Lazard (two of them or all three) needs to give a significant contribution. While I like MVS for stretching the field and now converting third downs, I think that Lazard has actually started to play faster, like entering his prime. But I do have high hopes for all of them.
2. Slow-start offense starts fast. It was all just pretend this year, that the offense normally was sleeping in the first quarter. I think MLF makes a goal to score in the first, putting pressure on SF.
3. Clark/Lowry need to be stout against the run. And I think they will be.
4. What mystery for Z/Gary unfolds? How will the D use these guys in the middle? I imagine them and others created a LOT of pressure on QBs this January.
5. To ST, just do enough! Just catch it, block it, snap and kick it well enough. Play within yourselves, even if that is below average. Dont do game-changing plays, unless it somehow works in our favor.
6.Campbell plays middle well enough that other TEs are neutralized. (We sorely lacked this the past two years.)
7. 28 runs often and strongly.
8. Adams and Rodgers own the sideline. Seriously, nobody can cover 17 on the lines. Nobody. And nobody throws sideline patterns like 12. Nobody. This should be good for 8 catches by itself and around 90 yards.
9. Finally, from my previous, we succeed on first downs. That’s been a downfall in recent playoffs. Not this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I was also thinking, why should this game be different than NFCCG two years ago (not the one from week 3 this year)?

The answer:
First, our defense will/should be better. The back end is better. The ILB situation is MUCH better. The pass rush is better. And Kenny Clark perhaps has more help.
Second, our offense will be better. It was limited two years ago and never seemed to have enough traction. Maybe it doesn't score 30 this week. But it'll score enough.
Third, their offense isn't as good. Jimmy is still their QB. He has talent around him for sure. But they were more loaded at WR two years ago.

Why might we lose this game?
First, ST. Nuf sed.
Second, if only our running game never gets going. We want the 4+ yards on first downs. It'll make all the difference.
Third, if our D somehow doesn't slow down their run game. But I doubt that happens.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I think I read where SF run defense is 2.7 ypc up the middle but something like 6.3ypc outside the tackles. So I'm thinking Jonesy has himself a game this week. Especially because defenders can't just explode off the ball with the footing on the field.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Jan 2022 02:28
The critical factor is going to be Time of Possession. The Packers D will have Z and Jaire for only part of the game if they Packers O does not stay on the field. The last thing the Packers need is to have the score close in the 4th quarter and have these 2 on the bench because the Packers O went 3-and-out too many times and they are gassed.

I guess that if I were MLF, I would not even put MVS on the field, that way Rodgers can't overthrow him and go 3-and-out. Play the game with Adams, Lazard and Cobb. And I would start Quadzilla
Lafluer has to be happy to have MVS stretch the Niner defense and force over the top support to cover him, doesn't matter if Rodgers over throws him, the Niners can't take a chance that they hook up, I know you had to put the dig in on Rodgers, a post from you wouldn't be complete without one, never mind that this game would be over 10 minutes in if Love was our QB, thats why Guty will be begging Rodgers to take a extension 10 minutes after this season is over.

on paper the only thing we have to do to beat the Niners is simply show up, we've proved all year that we are the better team, and we did so minus guys like MVS, Z, Bahk, Alexander, Myers, Turner etc, so having them back coupled with frigid Lambeau is the reason most pick us to win and cover the spread.

I'am very grateful that you are not Matt Lafluer :kaboom:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Scott4Pack wrote:
19 Jan 2022 05:49
I was also thinking, why should this game be different than NFCCG two years ago (not the one from week 3 this year)?

The answer:
First, our defense will/should be better. The back end is better. The ILB situation is MUCH better. The pass rush is better. And Kenny Clark perhaps has more help.
Second, our offense will be better. It was limited two years ago and never seemed to have enough traction. Maybe it doesn't score 30 this week. But it'll score enough.
Third, their offense isn't as good. Jimmy is still their QB. He has talent around him for sure. But they were more loaded at WR two years ago.

Why might we lose this game?
First, ST. Nuf sed.
Second, if only our running game never gets going. We want the 4+ yards on first downs. It'll make all the difference.
Third, if our D somehow doesn't slow down their run game. But I doubt that happens.
SF's special teams haven't been all that great this year either (but not as bad as ours...).

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

:packers: IT IS TIME! :lombardi:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

My $%@# hero
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’ll say basically the same thing I did 2 years ago.

Double team Bosa (I’m assuming he plays) and run Dillon at him for the 1st & 2nd down the first 2 series at the start of the game and the 2nd half. Smack him in the mouth right off.
Love is the answer…

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So I take that Billy Turner is expected to start at RT.

Honestly I would have been happy if they kept Kelly going there. He has been absolute money the last few weeks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I would say our biggest "improvements" from the prior playoffs is a significant improvement in personnel in the ILB group, CB group and the trust in AJ Dillon.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Jan 2022 02:28

You wouldnt play a true deep threat that makes the d have to play over the top and can open up everything?? Sorry I'm glad your not the coach :lol: