General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Do gotta make room for Cobb, Z and Mercilus, hopefully.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
19 Jan 2022 21:43
I’d have waited til Saturday to cut him then.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would say given the circumstances, he may not have even been with the team the last 5+ days?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
19 Jan 2022 17:01
Pretty weird and given timing pretty obvious that something out of the ordinary happened. Oh well. Opens a roster spot for Z.
IMO it has more to do with him being unable or unwilling to help the run defense. Maybe they told him to not pin his ears back on every play and he was offended.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Jan 2022 06:22
NCF wrote:
Pretty weird and given timing pretty obvious that something out of the ordinary happened. Oh well. Opens a roster spot for Z.
IMO it has more to do with him being unable or unwilling to help the run defense. Maybe they told him to not pin his ears back on every play and he was offended.
Where are you getting this idea? This hasn't been floated anywhere and seems far fetched at best.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 Jan 2022 23:06
BF004 wrote:
why? what where we to gain by doing that, we should have cut him a month ago and brought someone aboard that we may have suited up for a game, or played on the PS. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
20 Jan 2022 06:38
TheSkeptic wrote:
NCF wrote:
Where are you getting this idea? This hasn't been floated anywhere and seems far fetched at best.
That just means it's a typical Skeptic post. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:01
paco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

Yes, it is just me. But he has not been effective against the run. :oops:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:15
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:01
paco wrote:

Yes, it is just me. But he has not been effective against the run. :oops:
Not going to argue with you on that. But saying he was unwilling to do it is an unfair leap. We may not know what happened with Keke. But I give the player the benefit of the doubt until there is evidence to the contrary.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My guess on the Keke thing is it deeper than just not stopping the run.

We know he has been hurt. We know he has not practiced. We know he has been a healthy scratch. That all being said, if they thought he was a good fit in the locker room and part of the team, they would have just IR'd him at this point to open a roster spot.

Because they didn't do this....something tells me there is more to this that we just don't know right now.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:55

We know he has been hurt. We know he has not practiced. We know he has been a healthy scratch. That all being said, if they thought he was a good fit in the locker room and part of the team, they would have just IR'd him at this point to open a roster spot.

Because they didn't do this....something tells me there is more to this that we just don't know right now.
There is a salary cap component to his release that actually saves us a chunk next year, but still, I agree there is more to it than just that.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
20 Jan 2022 07:49
APB wrote:
19 Jan 2022 23:06
BF004 wrote:
why? what where we to gain by doing that, we should have cut him a month ago and brought someone aboard that we may have suited up for a game, or played on the PS. :idn:
As I stated earlier, what’s to stop the 49ers from picking him up and, assuming Keke is not happy being released, him sharing any possible defensive strategies to be employed by his former team?

Now, we have no way of knowing how much exposure Keke had during planning and practice this week. If he was away from the team, no prob. But wasn’t he pictured in one of the practice photos shared earlier this week? If so, that tells me he was in on what the Packers defensive game plan is. That could definitely be a problem.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 09:02
As I stated earlier, what’s to stop the 49ers from picking him up and, assuming Keke is not happy being released, him sharing any possible defensive strategies to be employed by his former team?
Waivers, I believe.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 09:03
APB wrote:
Waivers, I believe.
Yeah I'd be surprised if the Packers were that stupid.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 09:03
APB wrote:
Waivers, I believe.
Waivers last 24hrs. I doubt he’s claimed at this point of the season. And if he is, my money says it’s SF that claims him.

He was placed on waivers yesterday. As of COB today he clears waivers and is free to sign anywhere, I believe. That’s plenty of time to gain an advantage if there is indeed one to be gained.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
20 Jan 2022 09:08
That’s plenty of time to gain an advantage if there is indeed one to be gained.
So get him in mid-day Friday at a best case scenario. Go through the medicals and sign a contract. That already puts us at Friday night. I think SF is likely to already be on a plane by that point. I just don't think you are considering all of the logistics and rubber stamping.

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I think the timing of Keke's release points to there being something behind the scenes that made the Packers not want a distraction on the roster this week. Dunno what that something is, but I'm sure it'll come to light at some point. I hope he's OK and that he didn't torpedo his career for something petty. And that the org didn't have another bad people management moment.

I felt that Keke showed enough improvement it woulda made sense to keep him and see if he could take another step in camp next season. But it's not like he was some amazing talent or a key piece on D. Mediocre at best isn't bad for a 5th rounder, but Z will likely take over some of the inside rush snaps and that is a massive upgrade.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The last two games Keke played were his 1st and 3rd highest snap counts of the season (and top 2 percentage of defensive snaps).

He wasn't trending in the wrong direction.

Something happened. We all know something happened. There's no reason to try and guess whether it was performance-related or off-field related, because despite his performance underwhelming, we know it was off-field. We know there was an injury. We know there was an "inactive for personal reasons." Why are people speculating? Something happened. We'll find out eventually. There's not much more to know.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Jan 2022 10:23
The last two games Keke played were his 1st and 3rd highest snap counts of the season (and top 2 percentage of defensive snaps).

He wasn't trending in the wrong direction.

Something happened. We all know something happened. There's no reason to try and guess whether it was performance-related or off-field related, because despite his performance underwhelming, we know it was off-field. We know there was an injury. We know there was an "inactive for personal reasons." Why are people speculating? Something happened. We'll find out eventually. There's not much more to know.
I thought he made his way back from injury, maybe he rehurt it, don't know, but just look at his stats for 3 years, 51 tackles and 20 over all pass pressures, it's no wonder most draft scouts have us taking a DT in the first round, Keke has shown minimal improvement over his 3 years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... keKi00.htm

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

NCF wrote:
20 Jan 2022 09:01
go pak go wrote:
20 Jan 2022 08:55

There is a salary cap component to his release that actually saves us a chunk next year, but still, I agree there is more to it than just that.
Definitely not a cap expert, and this is strictly for curiosity, but I don't see anything on the major cap sites that show how the release now saves anything. Can you relate a quick-and-dirty explanation?
/