Milwaukee Brewers

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 17:07
Gotta say I’m about the least woke person you’ll meet, but I have found that Braves chant in bad taste for about 20 years now. Lived in Atlanta for a few years and went to a bunch of Brewer games, always seemed weird to me.
The Cherokee Indians have an advisory board with the Braves and they say they don’t want the name to change and will let them know if the tomohawk chop feels disrespectful to them. My guess is they are receiving some funds in exchange for being cool with it all.
Last edited by Drj820 on 12 Oct 2021 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

6 runs in 4 games ... not a winning formula. It's baseball ..... no time clock. Just 27 outs unless tied after 9 innings. Pitching usually rules. Brew Crew went into an offensive slump at the most inopportune time .. a dang shame.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 20:21
Braves fan here, good season for the Brewers. Didn’t expect the Brewers season to end with Yelich in the batters box with the bat on his shoulders!
Yelich has been pretty dreadful since he broke his kneecap a couple of years ago. Hopefully he can get it together and be productive in 2022. I doubt he will ever return to his MVP self again. His present contract makes it almost impossible to unload him while he is performing like this. :|

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 20:26
BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 17:07
Gotta say I’m about the least woke person you’ll meet, but I have found that Braves chant in bad taste for about 20 years now. Lived in Atlanta for a few years and went to a bunch of Brewer games, always seemed weird to me.
The Cherokee Indians have an advisory board with the Braves and they say they don’t want the name to change and will let them know if the tomohawk chop feels disrespectful to them. My guess is they are receiving some funds in exchange for being cool with it all.
I believe the Vikings horn is more obnoxious and annoying than the tomahawk chop.
I was at a FL State Seminoles game once and the students seem to have fun with the chop, and I didn't mind it at all. But adults doing it at Chiefs and Braves games .. which I have not experienced firsthand, may elicit a different response.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Man, Hader gives up the HR then Yelich doesn’t swing once on 3 straight strikes.

If you can’t count on those guys to not screw up so badly, not good times ahead.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 22:44
Man, Hader gives up the HR then Yelich doesn’t swing once on 3 straight strikes.

If you can’t count on those guys to not screw up so badly, not good times ahead.
I didn't get to watch the end. But Hader vs Freeman is a hell of a matchup. Hard to fault Hader too much. But he has been known to give up a dinger now and again.

Yelich though has just been awful all year. I hope he can spend this offseason getting healthy and figuring out what is wrong. Already a lot of fans asking to trade him and dump that contract.

Will be interesting to see what this team looks like next season.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

paco wrote:
13 Oct 2021 08:52
BF004 wrote:
12 Oct 2021 22:44

I didn't get to watch the end. But Hader vs Freeman is a hell of a matchup. Hard to fault Hader too much. But he has been known to give up a dinger now and again.

Yelich though has just been awful all year. I hope he can spend this offseason getting healthy and figuring out what is wrong. Already a lot of fans asking to trade him and dump that contract.

Will be interesting to see what this team looks like next season.
The problem is his contract is expensive so I can't imagine another team taking on that salary the way he is performing right now. :|

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Congrats Corbin Burnes

That is awesome for Milwaukee

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I was surprised he won. Lowest number of innings pitched for a Cy Young winner ever I think. Shows you how dominant he was.

Woodruff finished 5th.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

My answer to the Brew Crew never winning the World Series is a Brewers jersey with #44 on it + customized with the 44 patch the Brewers wore in 2021. Can't forget Hank Aaron's Milwaukee Braves hitting records.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Brewers dump the useless Bradley Jr back on Boston and get Hunter Renfroe. We gave up our #16 and 17 prospects too. But that's a good move. Renfroe produced a bit better than Garcia did last season. So good that we found a way to replace that production and gained some money in the process.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We get Hunter Renfrow?!

;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Tom Haudricourt is retiring. Been a go-to guy for Brewers news for a long long time.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Not Brewers related but rather MLB: when did Cleveland change their name from the Indians to the Guardians? I hadn't even heard a peep about it until perusing a general baseball article and the name was mentioned without any context.

Are we getting to the point where anything sports/Native American related is taboo? I mean, it's Indians for Pete's sake. How was that offensive or disrespectful? If it was the goofy mascot, change the mascot.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
18 Feb 2022 07:05
Not Brewers related but rather MLB: when did Cleveland change their name from the Indians to the Guardians? I hadn't even heard a peep about it until perusing a general baseball article and the name was mentioned without any context.

Are we getting to the point where anything sports/Native American related is taboo? I mean, it's Indians for Pete's sake. How was that offensive or disrespectful? If it was the goofy mascot, change the mascot.
This may go down a rabbit hole that will get it moved but.... It became official after last season. Indian originates from Columbus times. But ended up becoming derogatory. I do believe most of the issue is with the imagery, but many Native Americans prefer not to use that terminology. That's why you are starting to see the changes. No one can agree on an a term or image that isn't considered offensive by someone. So you just decide to make the move to something that doesn't reference it at all.

I really don't get upset by it. I'm a white guy, so I can't fully understand. To me, if people of a race don't like a certain term or mascot or whatever and come together to question it; then just agree to move on from it. There's no point in arguing it and it doesn't help anybody.

Sure it costs a billionaire a few bucks to change the logo and merch. They make it all back in new sales anyway. People have short memories on sports team changes. I remember when everyone said they'd never call County Stadium, Miller Park. Now a bunch of people are protesting the move from Miller Park. Blah blah blah. Move on, watch your sports ball, drink some beer and have some fun. And watch your old team gear go up in value over time.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

And none of this matters because there ain't no baseball!
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
18 Feb 2022 10:53
APB wrote:

This may go down a rabbit hole that will get it moved but.... It became official after last season. Indian originates from Columbus times. But ended up becoming derogatory. I do believe most of the issue is with the imagery, but many Native Americans prefer not to use that terminology. That's why you are starting to see the changes. No one can agree on an a term or image that isn't considered offensive by someone. So you just decide to make the move to something that doesn't reference it at all.

I really don't get upset by it. I'm a white guy, so I can't fully understand. To me, if people of a race don't like a certain term or mascot or whatever and come together to question it; then just agree to move on from it. There's no point in arguing it and it doesn't help anybody.

Sure it costs a billionaire a few bucks to change the logo and merch. They make it all back in new sales anyway. People have short memories on sports team changes. I remember when everyone said they'd never call County Stadium, Miller Park. Now a bunch of people are protesting the move from Miller Park. Blah blah blah. Move on, watch your sports ball, drink some beer and have some fun. And watch your old team gear go up in value over time.
So Indian is now considered derogatory...? Lord help the makers of the fine motorcycle.

And, if that is indeed the case, how long before Native American is taboo? They damn sure weren't Americans before Columbus stumbled upon them. Referring to them as natives - as in original occupants - of what later came to be known as America sure doesn't seem to fit the heritage narrative the traditional tribes are attempting to achieve.

To the topic, I've always considered the naming of teams after certain groups to be a way of honoring those present and/or past populations or traditions. It just seems strange, to me, that individuals take an offense-first stance when it comes to these type things. When you boil it all down, it just seems a silly exercise in trying to appease a small sect of easily offended individuals (who, btw, will never be satisfied) within greater population groups who, for the most part, really don't care.

And for the record, if the NFL wants to establish it's next team in Sheboygan, I'm OK with any team name reference to sausage. I'd wear it as a badge of honor, not a means of offense. ;)

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
18 Feb 2022 11:43
paco wrote:
18 Feb 2022 10:53
APB wrote:

So Indian is now considered derogatory...? Lord help the makers of the fine motorcycle.

And, if that is indeed the case, how long before Native American is taboo? They damn sure weren't Americans before Columbus stumbled upon them. Referring to them as natives - as in original occupants - of what later came to be known as America sure doesn't seem to fit the heritage narrative the traditional tribes are attempting to achieve.

To the topic, I've always considered the naming of teams after certain groups to be a way of honoring those present and/or past populations or traditions. It just seems strange, to me, that individuals take an offense-first stance when it comes to these type things. When you boil it all down, it just seems a silly exercise in trying to appease a small sect of easily offended individuals (who, btw, will never be satisfied) within greater population groups who, for the most part, really don't care.

And for the record, if the NFL wants to establish it's next team in Sheboygan, I'm OK with any team name reference to sausage. I'd wear it as a badge of honor, not a means of offense. ;)
What we all need to fear is the uprising of the cardinals. If those birds develop a voice and revolt we are all screwed! Especially is they band together with other birds.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Sounding like a deal is going to get done and there will be baseball.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
01 Mar 2022 09:14
Sounding like a deal is going to get done and there will be baseball.
Maybe not. Sounds like things going south here at the deadline.
RIP JustJeff