General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Ah, NFL Draft... please don't ever change.

Read More. Post Less.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2020 10:46
Ah, NFL Draft... please don't ever change.

Gute is playing (Fun)chess while everyone else is playing checkers.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Did the Packers just hire Ruvell Martin as a coach? (A former WR for us a few years ago.). I saw a audio where MLF talked about him getting into coaching and the long relationship that they've had. Interesting.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 May 2020 07:57
Did the Packers just hire Ruvell Martin as a coach? (A former WR for us a few years ago.). I saw a audio where MLF talked about him getting into coaching and the long relationship that they've had. Interesting.
Yeah, they started a minority coaching fellowship to open the door for more minority coaching opportunities, and Martin is the first hire. He isn't the WR coach, but he will primarily be assisting the WRs and other offensive help.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/loc ... 00d3b80095

Not ideal

Article says Montravious adams arrested in middle georgia for suspended registration, no insurance, and weed. Having lived down there for some time, they are big time haters of the plants and love to arrest people and get some money when they find it. So no surprise they took him in. Not a good look for our struggling backup DE tho.
Last edited by Drj820 on 21 May 2020 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Definitely not. Although, I can think of worse crimes.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
21 May 2020 12:31
Definitely not. Although, I can think of worse crimes.
Yeah i edited my first post to include a little more info. Certainly not the worst crimes, but they will make it a slight pain in his rear down there.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
21 May 2020 12:29

Not ideal

Article says Montravious adams arrested in middle georgia for suspended registration, no insurance, and weed. Having lived down there for some time, they are big time haters of the plants and love to arrest people and get some money when they find it. So no surprise they took him in. Not a good look for our struggling backup DE tho.
:idn:

Non-factor to me.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 May 2020 13:15
Drj820 wrote:

Not ideal

:idn:

Non-factor to me.
not something that really bothers me either. Just the no insurance when you are an nfl player, and suspended registration type arrests just kind of make you look like a dummy.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

It's just a failure of the stupid test. That's all. I think we would all tend to agree he seemed perfectly capable of failing that test even before this news.

Read More. Post Less.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

The weird thing is no insurance and not registered. You make how much money? I mean c'mon..if that was paid..no way they bust him with pot. It is a pretty minor offense now though. At least he didn't rob or threaten anybody with a gun

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Drj820 wrote:

Not ideal

Well just like most places nowadays, if you aren't in a big city, the cops are a huge source of revenue for the town budget.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bill Barnwell says the Packers had the 27th best (6th worst) offseason.
27. Green Bay Packers
What went right: In a market in which teams were aggressively paying for potential at offensive tackle, the Packers got a reasonable price in replacing Bryan Bulaga with Rick Wagner on a two-year, $11 million pact. While it wasn't the first-round wide receiver Packers fans were craving, Devin Funchess could deliver good value on a one-year, $2.5 million deal as a second or third wideout. And while it's not ideal for their chances of winning in 2020, if Green Bay did add its quarterback of the future when it drafted Jordan Love with the 26th pick, it would obviously push this offseason way higher than it ranks now.

What went wrong: In an offseason in which the draft was full of wide receiver talent and veteran wideout prices were depressed, the Packers really couldn't come away with more than Funchess? Taking Love was one thing, but using a second-round pick on bruising running back AJ Dillon seemed more egregious. It also seemed to hint that Aaron Jones' future after the season lies outside of Green Bay, which is unlikely to make many Packers fans happy.

The decision to move on from Bulaga also was curious, given that he signed a relatively friendly deal with the Chargers. It's possible the Packers weren't given an option to match, but if they could have signed Bulaga for three years and $30 million, they should have brought back their stalwart right tackle.

They didn't do much to address their defense. While they improved from 29th to 15th in DVOA after a spending spree in free agency last year, they are unlikely to be as healthy on the defensive side of the ball in 2020 after their starters missed a total of four games all season. They replaced linebacker Blake Martinez with Christian Kirksey, which should be a positive if Kirksey stays healthy, but I was surprised Green Bay didn't try to do more to add depth on defense.

What they could have done differently:
Realistically, even if the Packers wanted Love in Round 1, they should have gone out of their way to get one of the remaining wideouts in the second round. I'm not often an advocate for trading up, and it's possible that opposing teams were quoting astronomical prices to the Packers after seeing how their fan base reacted to the Love pick, but they should have moved up in the second round to get someone like Laviska Shenault Jr. or Denzel Mims. Dillon basically has to turn into Derrick Henry for that pick to work, and both the track record and NFL career span of backs like Henry aren't great.

What's left to do: Acquire a veteran wideout. I mentioned Kenny Stills earlier, and a trade for the Texans wideout makes total sense.
I do find it interesting that he complains that the Defense hasn't been addressed but doesn't suggest a DL signing like he does for some other teams down here.

But there's good news! He also thinks the Packers had the 2nd best (3rd worst) offseason in the NFC North!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Vikings at 19, surprised they aren't lower.

They kicked the can down the road and made a poor financial commitment to Kirk that is gunna crush them down the road, lost quite a few starters, I have no idea who their CB's are anymore, traded away a great WR.

Division is there for the taking.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
22 May 2020 10:48

They kicked the can down the road and made a poor financial commitment to Kirk that is gunna crush them down the road, lost quite a few starters, I have no idea who their CB's are anymore, traded away a great WR.

I've been on this train all offseason. They replaced a lot of important players with rookies, if at all. Their CBs are likely to be atrocious, as a unit, unless both rookies have uniquely good years and Mike Hughes takes a giant leap. And Justin Jefferson is MUCH less explosive than Stefon Diggs was. The Vikings are worse in 2020 than they were in 2019. It would take a monumental draft class and a great deal of luck for that to be untrue.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 May 2020 10:55
BF004 wrote:

I've been on this train all offseason. They replaced a lot of important players with rookies, if at all. Their CBs are likely to be atrocious, as a unit, unless both rookies have uniquely good years and Mike Hughes takes a giant leap. And Justin Jefferson is MUCH less explosive than Stefon Diggs was. The Vikings are worse in 2020 than they were in 2019. It would take a monumental draft class and a great deal of luck for that to be untrue.
Also probably not the ideal offseason to have a lot or turnover or be relying a lot on rookies.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
22 May 2020 11:05
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 May 2020 10:55
BF004 wrote:

Also probably not the ideal offseason to have a lot or turnover or be relying a lot on rookies.
Getting them out of the way Week 1 at their place is a tremendous advantage for us.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I was looking through some snap count data to try to figure out the interplay of some of our CBs--i.e. did Sullivan's snaps increase when King was out injured; did Tramon Williams'?

And then something weird happened.

In week 14 against Chicago...

Jaire Alexander played 100% of the snaps.
Kevin King played 100% of the snaps.

Ok, cool, we were healthy.

Tramon Williams played 75% of the snaps.
Seems like a normalish amount to be in nickel

Chandon Sullivan played 67% of snaps
Ok, so a lot of nickel and a lot of dime... maybe Sullivan was filling in at some safety...

Darnell Savage played 100% of the snaps
Adrian Amos played 100% of the snaps

Man, we were really healthy

Ibraheim Campbell played 45% of the snaps.
huh.

For those counting at home... our top 4 secondary players, (2 CBs, 2 Ss), for "base" personnel played 100% of snaps.

Our 3rd CB, 4th CB, and 3rd S played a combined 187% of snaps, which means we had 6 DBs on the field 87% of the time. What the hell defense were we playing... against the BEARS?!?

As a comparison, against the Chiefs, when we similarly went heavy DB

Our top 4 DBs similarly each played 100% of the snaps (King, Alexander, Savage, Amos). Williams (89), Sullivan (59), and Redmond (16) combined for 164% of the snaps, indicating dime a still-high 64% (at least), which we all found frustrating, but understood against the speed threats the Chiefs had.

But against the BEARS?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 May 2020 20:22
I was looking through some snap count data to try to figure out the interplay of some of our CBs--i.e. did Sullivan's snaps increase when King was out injured; did Tramon Williams'?

Ok, so a lot of nickel and a lot of dime... maybe Sullivan was filling in at some safety...

huh.

For those counting at home... our top 4 secondary players, (2 CBs, 2 Ss), for "base" personnel played 100% of snaps.

Our 3rd CB, 4th CB, and 3rd S played a combined 187% of snaps, which means we had 6 DBs on the field 87% of the time. What the hell defense were we playing... against the BEARS?!?

Our top 4 DBs similarly each played 100% of the snaps (King, Alexander, Savage, Amos). Williams (89), Sullivan (59), and Redmond (16) combined for 164% of the snaps, indicating dime a still-high 64% (at least), which we all found frustrating, but understood against the speed threats the Chiefs had.

But against the BEARS?
Bears only scored 13 points with their only TD halfway through the 4th quarter. Trubitsky was 29 of 53 with 1 TD and 2 picks (That was the game Lowery got a pick so maybe it does not count for this thread). Bears running attack was pathetic. It seems to have worked.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 May 2020 20:22

huh.

But against the BEARS?
that article that floated around here a couple months back seems even more accurate now, we play with 5 and 6 DB's over 70% of the time, I went looking for this info you brought back then to no avail, I'am not that good at this research, I never know where to look, my quest though was to see how often we use 2 ILB's, I expect not to much, we just don't have one that can handle the coverages.