Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I‘d still try hard to keep AR. This would give us a couple of further shots. But if #12 demands top money, bye.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Option 1
Keep Rodgers in 2022
Cut a lot of other guys
Probably still sneak into the playoffs

Option 2
Trade Rodgers
Keep some other guys
Very probably no playoffs

Am I wrong to think the end result is the same with either scenario? :dunno:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
23 Jan 2022 00:41
Option 1
Keep Rodgers in 2022
Cut a lot of other guys

Option 2
Trade Rodgers
Keep some other guys

Rodgers is worth 7 wins. How did I come to that number? Thats what we got with a completely talentless team in back to back years.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Option 1
Keep Rodgers in 2022
Cut a lot of other guys

Option 2
Trade Rodgers
Keep some other guys

The likely end result no matter what we do is no Super Bowl.

I doubt we'd sneak in with Rodgers (we'd probably dominate the regular season again), but we're all starting to think Rodgers himself is the problem in the playoffs, despite how many points he puts up against the Bears/Lions/Vikings in the regular season.

Dude is the best QB of all time when it comes to efficiency. It's not entirely clear why he chokes every year, but what is clear is that he does choke every year. Maybe it's his input on the offense instead of relying on the HC. Maybe it's the fact that he can't run the ball at all. Maybe his contract is too expensive to buy talent. Maybe it's his demeanor and leadership style.

But we've eliminated all the other variables at this point, and it's clearly something he is doing that is causing us to replay the same movie every year.

But whereas we have a small chance of winning with Rodgers in the playoffs, we have 0% with Jordan Love and no playoffs.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Even though when you have a qb like Rodgers nearing the end of his prime...it’s fair to have a sb or bust attitude...The packers give us tons of victory Monday’s and happy Sundays throughout the fall under Rodgers.

Those smiles could turn to frowns very quickly without him, and Im just talking basic regular season wins. They do feel nice.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:05
Yes but I think he is gone.

He is better suited in warm dryer weather. He should also be able to join a high level offense and continue to put up high level numbers.
What warm weather team with a high level offense can he realistically go to? Tampa has Brady. The LA teams have QBs (unless Stafford stinks tomorrow but they couldn't afford to pay both). I can't see him going back with MM in Dallas (and besides, they just signed Dak to a big contract). Perhaps TN? Tannehill was pretty bad in that one. It will depend upon their cap space. How about SF? But if Jimmy G wins it all they might not be interested in making a change. How about Las Vegas? They might be ready to move on from Carr. All of the other playoff teams have good young QBs. Another warm weather team that might need a veteran QB is the Saints but how far are they from the promised land and do they have cap space? Is Miami good enough? I honestly don't know where else Rodgers could go that is as close as we are even after tonight's collapse. :|

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Option 1
Keep Rodgers in 2022
Cut a lot of other guys

Option 2
Trade Rodgers
Keep some other guys

If you are only thinking about 2022-23, then yeah, the result might look similar. But if you look long-term, you’ll have a different picture.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

At this point, I think we have a different player in 12 during the warm weather than we do during the cold weather. Same happened with Favre. (Right, 23?)

The real question, I think, is how to mitigate Rodgers’ cold-weather demise. It’s a very real thing that has repeated now.

Maybe the answer is to play for the wild card and stay on the road in January, when it’ll be warmer.

Maybe the answer is to trade Rodgers. (And after last night, I’m thinking the market just decreased his trade value.)

Maybe the answer is to keep him (and dump how many others for salary cap) and find a different answer in the cold. But that isn’t realistic.

I would already be working to make the fan base happier, but still trade Rodgers. If I were GM, I’d already be talking with Denver.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:41
TheGreenMan wrote:
22 Jan 2022 23:33
In all honestly, would love to continue to hear arguments from those that voted "Yes".
I voted Yes but I am not strongly in favor of that, only mildly in favor.

To me it comes down to the total lack of options for 2022 (Love is not an option at this point), and also the fact that I have gone my entire fanhood with HOF QB play and am hesitant to just give that up.

As bad as he always plays, it's possible we get a favorable draw next year. It's possible that we pick up 2 all-pro level FAs on offense like we did on defense this year.

I think he is a loser at heart. He has a losing personality and demeanor. But he did win it once. I would like it if he would run the ball a lot more. I've said this after probably the last 4-5 meltdowns or so. It just seems to me that he has never been able to beat playoff defenses except when he makes them respect his legs. That was the whole point of The Belt back in 2010. But I don't think he is going to even entertain such an idea.
He won it once when he wasn't the leader.

He is a very good player. But as a leader.....? the data is starting to stack against him. And I am done with the poor defense excuses. 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020 and 2021 were all seasons where the defense did enough in the playoff games we lost. Whether it was holding the opponent to very low point totals or Rodgers having the ball and opportunity to seal the game and didn't.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Yep Rodgers won when he could run and if you can't run you better be Brady and throw it within 2 seconds or be like the Niners and be run heavy. Neither fits Rodgers game anymore.

I'm more in favor of moving on because I think it has become a mobile QB league now. Not to mention how we could possibly keep him at 15-20 million because that is what it would take to stay competitive with him.

Let him, Adams, Z, and Crosby go. I'd rather spend the money on defense (Douglas, Jaire, Campbell) and have a 60/40 run/pass offense next year

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

packman114 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 07:49
Yep Rodgers won when he could run and if you can't run you better be Brady and throw it within 2 seconds or be like the Niners and be run heavy. Neither fits Rodgers game anymore.

I'm more in favor of moving on because I think it has become a mobile QB league now. Not to mention how we could possibly keep him at 15-20 million because that is what it would take to stay competitive with him.

Let him, Adams, Z, and Crosby go. I'd rather spend the money on defense (Douglas, Jaire, Campbell) and have a 60/40 run/pass offense next year
This is always where I was at.

I just hoped we had a ring to make the "breakup" easier.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

packman114 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 07:49

In the regular season this year we were more run heavy than ever before but we lost our big bruiser - Dillon - in that game. I think losing him along with lousy ST play are major reasons why our season is over. Another issue is not having another real option outside of Adams that can consistently get open. SF's secondary isn't all that great. How come Lazard, Cobb or ESB couldn't get separation?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Rodgers will actually hit our cap with something like 26 Million next year.

Guty needs to make up his mind what he wants. If he wants this organization to be the sentimental type, then by all means keep Rodgers, for he is a legend and legends get to play out their years if they want to. But if Guty wants to return to the Super Bowl, then the retool is what is needed now.

What was the count of how many players we’ll lose to salary cap? We’re like $40M over the cap before we’ve done a single thing.

De’Vondre Campbell is gonna hurt. I don’t know how we’re ever gonna sign him and keep him. (Yeah, I’m sneaking that in here.)

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Players I think we need to make every effort to extend:

Jaire Alexander
D'Vondre Campbell
Rasul Douglas

That is it. I would add it would make sense to extend Adrian Amos too.

Everyone else is expendable. But let's keep together what is right with this team and draft the rest.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2022 09:06

Jaire Alexander
D'Vondre Campbell
Rasul Douglas

Everyone else is expendable. But let's keep together what is right with this team and draft the rest.
I wonder if we should trade Rodgers, gut the offense of players that are FAs then trade those whose salaries don't match their output and try to keep this defense as intact as possible?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
23 Jan 2022 10:28
go pak go wrote:

Jaire Alexander
D'Vondre Campbell
Rasul Douglas

I wonder if we should trade Rodgers, gut the offense of players that are FAs then trade those whose salaries don't match their output and try to keep this defense as intact as possible?
For the most part that is my goal. I would be okay with moving on from the Smiths unless we feel one of them will be effective with us for 2023 and beyond.

Basically I view this team now as "who will be effective and in their prime 2023 - 2025"
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Had we won a SB this year, I’d have been more favorable to bringing AR back at whatever cost to try and keep things rolling. Yes, the roster would have taken a hit and success would have been heavily dependent on current backups stepping into starting roles and/or drafting well to fill gaps but I’d have been open to that.

But we didn’t. Instead we saw another early playoff exit with an all-in roster.

I’ll always be appreciative of what Rodgers has done for this organization but, sadly, I’m ready to move on. As I said in another thread, if AR couldn’t get it done with this roster, I doubt he gets it done with a significantly depleted roster.

Time to focus on signing the young, core talent we have and see if Gute’s investment in Love was worth it.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:

Jaire Alexander
D'Vondre Campbell
Rasul Douglas

I add Tonyan and Jenkins to this list assuming they don't do a Bakh. There is no doubt after yesterday's game that the Packers need a good TE and no one on the roster is more than a backup pass catcher. And if it were my decision and Jenkins is ready September 1st, he starts at RT and both Kelly and Turner can look for a new team. As for Lewis, who needs him if you have a healthy Bakh and Jenkins as OT's?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers is basically Peyton Manning with the Colts. Lots of amazing regular season offenses, often stymied in the playoffs. One ring. Lots of playoff disappointment. Manning got a lot of the same deserved slander Rodgers is getting now. We will see if Rodgers can cement his legacy, like Manning did, by going somewhere else and getting a ring.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur