Was the 2011-2021 Era A Success?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Number of playoff wins vs NFC teams:

Tom Brady - 10
Aaron Rodgers - 10

Brady has the chance to get ahead of Rodgers in this today. And Brady has been an AFC QB most of his career.

Holy crap.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

winningest team the last 30 years doesn't mean much to some fans because we didn't win it all, enough, even though the winning stretch was far longer then just the 60's decade under Lombardi, that decade remains the bench mark for what most fans consider success.

Still it's hard to complain about being the 2nd or third best team in the conference year after year, or having debatably one of, if not the best QB's in the league.

I enjoyed most of the ride with Rodgers, but nothing in life last forever. :(

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Lots of good and thoughtful responses and as I expected quite a variety of views expressed.

I really think this question is like a rorschach test for Packer fans.

What would be really interesting is to know what the answer would be for those within the organization who have been here the entire time. This would obviously exclude MLF.

And I don't mean how would they answer the question for public consumption but how they truly feel about this era.

Looking forward to more insightful responses to what I consider to be a really fascinating question, at least for those of us who are Packer fanatics.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
23 Jan 2022 13:03
Lots of good and thoughtful responses and as I expected quite a variety of views expressed.

What would be really interesting is to know what the answer would be for those within the organization who have been here the entire time. This would obviously exclude MLF.

And I don't mean how would they answer the question for public consumption but how they truly feel about this era.

Looking forward to more insightful responses to what I consider to be a really fascinating question, at least for those of us who are Packer fanatics.
first welcome to the forum. :beer2:

another way of looking at the two era's of Farve and Rodgers being a success even though we only brought the Trophy home twice can be seen every time we drive by Lambeau, all the additions to the Stadium and the business that have sprouted up the last 30 years, imo the Packers are responsible for much of that, the west side of the river looks completely different then it did in the 60's, we have major highway up grades as a result of the success of this team.

If winning is the only framing of success, then I think people have blinders on, there are more ways that ya win then simply holding a trophy lol.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
23 Jan 2022 14:18
LombardiTime wrote:

first welcome to the forum. :beer2:

another way of looking at the two era's of Farve and Rodgers being a success even though we only brought the Trophy home twice can be seen every time we drive by Lambeau, all the additions to the Stadium and the business that have sprouted up the last 30 years, imo the Packers are responsible for much of that, the west side of the river looks completely different then it did in the 60's, we have major highway up grades as a result of the success of this team.

If winning is the only framing of success, then I think people have blinders on, there are more ways that ya win then simply holding a trophy lol.
I don't think the highway project had much or anything to do with the team's winning/losing. A few businesses around Lambeau prospered because of the winning, starting with Stadium View bar. A few more restaurants and hotels have popped up over the psst 25 years. But now all the Packer-owned development west of the stadium, tailgate zone building on the east side of the parking lot, etc is actually putting pressure on those other businesses.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

If indeed last night was Rodgers' final game in green and gold we should admit it has been a great ride. For all of our disappointment in his playoff performances he is the main reason we have been perennial contenders almost every season. The real puzzle is why such a gifted QB has struggled in so many post season games since 2010. If we remember that NFCC game in Chicago Rodgers didn't play well in that game either. He did great in the Super Bowl however.

Thanks for everything Aaron!!! :heart:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
23 Jan 2022 14:31
If indeed last night was Rodgers' final game in green and gold we should admit it has been a great ride. For all of our disappointment in his playoff performances he is the main reason we have been perennial contenders almost every season. The real puzzle is why such a gifted QB has struggled in so many post season games since 2010. If we remember that NFCC game in Chicago Rodgers didn't play well in that game either. He did great in the Super Bowl however.

Thanks for everything Aaron!!! :heart:
Rodgers obviously gets some of the blame for any loss, he touches the ball on every play, but he plays better then most everyone else, and in every one of those play off losses he did his part, he's only had a top 10 defense once and that was this year, and this ST's unit made it impossible for the defense to get the accolades it deserved, to bad they played there heart out.

We'll miss Rodgers, it's not as though these HOF QB's are sitting around waiting for the draft.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:

Man I think the answer to whether the org is content is very clear. They do not make the moves of an org desperate to win another. They run the packers like an estate manager, and the number one job is come out in the positive and stay financially viable. The packers have done that to perfection over the last decade.

División wins, playoff trips, and TWO rings in the last 30 years. The only org with more in that time is the Broncos and Pats. The org has done enough to offer hope to the fans, keep butts in the seat, raise ticket prices.

I absolutely think they are happy. We don’t have some owner who will rock the boat and risk it all for that ring like say the Rams. The packers can make money and get their fans to pay for stadium renovations! They are sleeping fine, and incredibly rich because of the last era.
Last edited by Drj820 on 23 Jan 2022 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We risked it all to win it all this season. It didn't happen.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 14:53
We risked it all to win it all this season. It didn't happen.
I am not saying we should have done more. I am not saying other owners were smarter with their orgs. But in terms of “we did risk IT ALL”

How many first round picks do we have the next couple seasons?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:02
An irrelevant question seeing as any player we had gained from trading a first round pick would not have fit under the cap. We risked blowing up this team in 2022 to win in 2021. That's as risky as it gets, trading future success for present success.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

paco wrote:
23 Jan 2022 10:59
Can someone perhaps chart out in how many of those dismal stretches those other teams were expected to win (or, at least were given a legitimate shot)? Failure to meet expectations is where I stop feeling entitled.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:06
Drj820 wrote:
An irrelevant question seeing as any player we had gained from trading a first round pick would not have fit under the cap.
Hardly. All of those picks could have been used to move up in the draft either this year or the year before. A 1 in 2019 draft certainly grabs Justin Jefferson.

Again, not saying we should have done this...but we absolutely could have leveraged more, and a desperate ownership group very well could and would have. There was certainly more to “risk”. Not that it would be smart.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Jan 2022 11:56
Yes, it was a success. A qualified success. But if the Packers mortgaged the future by keeping Rodgers 1 year too long and they get nothing for him, if Bakh retires with all that dead cap, if Love is a bust, then it becomes a failure.
Seems a bit ironic to rate the year this way next to a photo of they guy who was at the helm for 5 NFL championships in 7 years. :)

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

NCF wrote:
23 Jan 2022 12:14
If the only measure of success is championships, then obviously, the answer is no. If we are allowed to expand the definition, then yes, I think this era was a resounding success. Lots of ups and downs, but the team pretty consistently put itself in position to compete for championships. They just never got over the last hurdle.

I still feel robbed of the 2013 season. If Aaron hadn't got hurt, I think that team would have went far.
Or, put itself in position to compete for championships...and failed every time, sometimes spectacularly.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2022 12:45
Number of playoff wins vs NFC teams:

Tom Brady - 10
Aaron Rodgers - 10

Brady has the chance to get ahead of Rodgers in this today. And Brady has been an AFC QB most of his career.

Holy crap.
:shock:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:10
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
An irrelevant question seeing as any player we had gained from trading a first round pick would not have fit under the cap.
Hardly. All of those picks could have been used to move up in the draft either this year or the year before. A 1 in 2019 draft certainly grabs Justin Jefferson.

Again, not saying we should have done this...but we absolutely could have leveraged more, and a desperate ownership group very well could and would have. There was certainly more to “risk”. Not that it would be smart.
And if we trade the 2021 1st round pick to move up to get Jefferson in 2020, we don't have Eric Stokes and we might not even have gotten to the Divisional round. These moves aren't made in a vacuum. That we still had/have our 1st round picks in 2021 and 2022 doesn't mean we didn't risk it all in 2021 or even risked less than other teams.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:16
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

And if we trade the 2021 1st round pick to move up to get Jefferson in 2020, we don't have Eric Stokes and we might not even have gotten to the Divisional round. These moves aren't made in a vaccuum.
I mean sure in terms of may not have stokes, but you are stuck on evaluating “outcome”. That’s different than taking the risk. Moving up for an elite WR prospect and offering loot may not have won the packers a Super Bowl, but it would be more “risking it all” than not moving up and taking what’s available. Again, not saying it’s smart...but that is an additional risk a more desperate owner could take. So as I was saying, we did a lot, a ton. But did we do the most? We still have draft picks next year so I would have to say no.

But not saying we should have

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I wasn't a fan of the Love pick but do you know much we would have had to give up to move up far enough to get Jefferson? Also I doubt MN would have traded with us that day. There were other WRs we could have considered instead of going after Love.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:22
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I wasn't a fan of the Love pick but do you know much we would have had to give up to move up far enough to get Jefferson? Also I doubt MN would have traded with us that day. There were other WRs we could have considered instead of going after Love.
Probably at least a first round pick. Which is what a more desperate owner might consider.