Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we did not have top 10 defenses, and Rodgers for several of those play off losses have a poor running game, poor ST's units and crappola at WR, I can't believe I'am hearing all this whining from fans upset that Rodgers was unable to over come other short comings from these play off teams, there are valid reason for these losses and Rodgers only plays a small part in them.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Been thinking about this topic more and I am more of the opinion that I do want Rodgers to come back.

As frustrated as we are about having a stacked team not even make the NFCCG and now they will be blown up somewhat to get under the cap, the silver lining is that our ultimate result appears to be completely unrelated to the team around Rodgers. He's gotten us further with less than he did last night. Also, we've had more disappointing results with absolutely stacked teams. The one thing we really need in order to get to the playoffs and be a threat is Rodgers.

Unfortunately, the thing holding us back when we get to the playoffs is Rodgers.

So I would like him to come back and then roll the dice with a team that looks a lot different from the one that just came up short 3 years in a row.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
23 Jan 2022 16:07
Been thinking about this topic more and I am more of the opinion that I do want Rodgers to come back.

As frustrated as we are about having a stacked team not even make the NFCCG and now they will be blown up somewhat to get under the cap, the silver lining is that our ultimate result appears to be completely unrelated to the team around Rodgers. He's gotten us further with less than he did last night. Also, we've had more disappointing results with absolutely stacked teams. The one thing we really need in order to get to the playoffs and be a threat is Rodgers.

Unfortunately, the thing holding us back when we get to the playoffs is Rodgers.

So I would like him to come back and then roll the dice with a team that looks a lot different from the one that just came up short 3 years in a row.
Yeah I mean it’s pretty clear..with him we have fun most of the season and then get disappointed.

Without him we probably don’t have much fun at all.

Only questions is would you rather not have hope, so you can avoid paid, or have hope all year, and feel pain.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I should clarify. I want Rodgers back if he cuts off his man bun. Winners don't have man buns.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Raptorman wrote:
23 Jan 2022 14:23
Brady has had 16, including this year. But I have been told that doesn't matter in the long run. I was told that the QB makes the defense better. But I have to wonder, why does it only pertain to Brady, Montana, and Young? And oh yeah, in SF during Montana/Young years, 15 out of 18 years.
I bet you haven't been told that. I bet you've been told something much less banal by someone who disagreed with you and have twisted it to make yourself sound to be irrefutably right. :?

But if you have a link ...

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

dsr wrote:
23 Jan 2022 18:18
Raptorman wrote:
Brady has had 16, including this year. But I have been told that doesn't matter in the long run. I was told that the QB makes the defense better. But I have to wonder, why does it only pertain to Brady, Montana, and Young? And oh yeah, in SF during Montana/Young years, 15 out of 18 years.
I bet you haven't been told that. I bet you've been told something much less banal by someone who disagreed with you and have twisted it to make yourself sound to be irrefutably right. :?

Oh, I was told. I'll see if I can find a link, it's been a while. But I have to warn you, it will take you to a Vikings forum.

FWIW, I don't make &%$@ up.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

dsr wrote:
23 Jan 2022 18:18
Raptorman wrote:

This is annoying.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

As frustrating and disappointing it is to lose yesterday we are not even in that game with the best record in the league without him under center.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pugger wrote:
23 Jan 2022 21:23
As frustrating and disappointing it is to lose yesterday we are not even in that game with the best record in the league without him under center.
Arguments like this need to be qualified with not knowing who would be in place. If AR was replaced with Brady, Mahomes, Allen, or maybe even Stafford, Wilson, or Burrow, the team is still number 1 seed probably. But with Love it is a 4 or 5 win team.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

I want Rodgers back. He can still play about 2 years of stellar football and then maybe 3 more years above average. With him we have a shot for the Playoffs for the next 5 years and with that we have a shot at the SB because not only did we see it in our most recent loss, we seen it for years now, that a hot team matters more than home field or Bye week. I also think that Love is not a good QB. The sample is small, but it is there.

Do I think I get what I want? Nope. Outlets starting to get unanimous about the end of Rodgers in GB and they usually have much more insight & intel. Also putting myself in Gute's head, well, he sees an aging - more and more diva - QB who fails in decisive moments.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

My overall feeling after watching the Bills/Chiefs game is that the Packers would have lost the Super Bowl against both of them and a big reason being that their QB’s both have a better clutch gene.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Pugger wrote:
The question is this. If he leaves who do you replace him with? Is Love the guy? Can he get it done? After all, top QB's are not easy to come by. I know this. It's easy to say "Draft a QB" not so easy to draft a good one.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Jan 2022 22:53
I want Rodgers back. He can still play about 2 years of stellar football and then maybe 3 more years above average. With him we have a shot for the Playoffs for the next 5 years and with that we have a shot at the SB because not only did we see it in our most recent loss, we seen it for years now, that a hot team matters more than home field or Bye week. I also think that Love is not a good QB. The sample is small, but it is there.

Do I think I get what I want? Nope. Outlets starting to get unanimous about the end of Rodgers in GB and they usually have much more insight & intel. Also putting myself in Gute's head, well, he sees an aging - more and more diva - QB who fails in decisive moments.
The main reason why Gute will trade Rodgers away has nothing to do with his play in the post season. It will be a financial reason only. As I said above, Rodgers is the reason why we were the #1 seed this year and why he most likely is the league MVP. Our problem right now is the salary cap. :|

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
My overall feeling after watching the Bills/Chiefs game is that the Packers would have lost the Super Bowl against both of them and a big reason being that their QB’s both have a better clutch gene.
Those 2 teams are super fast too (at least it seemed to me watching that game last night).

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Pugger wrote:
24 Jan 2022 06:43
The main reason why Gute will trade Rodgers away has nothing to do with his play in the post season. It will be a financial reason only. As I said above, Rodgers is the reason why we were the #1 seed this year and why he most likely is the league MVP. Our problem right now is the salary cap. :|
This game is not played for the salary cap but to win (actually to entertain people and live from the money they pay). If Gute sees Rodgers helping the Packers he want him back and will make the salary cap fit, don't u think?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
23 Jan 2022 21:28
Pugger wrote:
Arguments like this need to be qualified with not knowing who would be in place. If AR was replaced with Brady, Mahomes, Allen, or maybe even Stafford, Wilson, or Burrow, the team is still number 1 seed probably. But with Love it is a 4 or 5 win team.
With Love only having 1 regular season game and a couple of preseason games (he missed 1), I agree. But at this point, what does it matter? The Packers are done for the season 1 week later with Rodgers than they would have been with Love. We can argue about how many games the Packers would have won with Love, but in the end all it mattered was 1 week and an embarrassment at home.

Now Love gets another preseaon and 17 games so 4 or 5 wins is ridiculous. With Rodgers and minus Adams, Tonyan, maybe MVS, Douglas, Campbell and at least 1 Smith the Packers are a 5-7 win team next season. With Love and Tonyan, Douglas, MVS and Campbell and both Smith's the Packers are a 7-9 win team nest season. If they sneak in with 9 wins, how could Love do worse than Rodgers just did? How? One thing is for sure, Love does not get caught from behind by a Dlineman. Last weekend a mostly healthy O could not score 14 points, pathetic.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

German_Panzer wrote:
24 Jan 2022 07:31
Pugger wrote:
24 Jan 2022 06:43
This game is not played for the salary cap but to win (actually to entertain people and live from the money they pay). If Gute sees Rodgers helping the Packers he want him back and will make the salary cap fit, don't u think?
No, I do not think it is possible to keep Rodgers, make the salary cap fit and win more than 7 games. Rodgers does not catch passes, sack the opposing QB or tackle their RB. Last weekend we saw the #1 D in the league. Keep Rodgers and you replace at least 7 of the 11 best starters with UDFA's over the next 2 seasons. It simply isn't possible.

Top 10 players. Rodgers, Jones, Bakh, Jenkins, Tonyan, Clark, Campbell, Jaire, Amos, Smith, Smith.
Keep Rodgers, you lose Jenkins, Tonyan, Campbell, Jaire, Amos, Smith and Smith over the next 2 seasons.
Adams is gone no matter what.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 Jan 2022 07:36

Top 10 players. Rodgers, Jones, Bakh, Jenkins, Tonyan, Clark, Campbell, Jaire, Amos, Smith, Smith.
Keep Rodgers, you lose Jenkins, Tonyan, Campbell, Jaire, Amos, Smith and Smith over the next 2 seasons.
Adams is gone no matter what.
Did Rashan Gary !@#$ in your Cheerios?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

It's not that I don't want Rodgers back. There's a part of me that would love to just see him finish his career in GB.

But the other part of me is really excited to see what draft capital and salary cap space could do to build around this young nucleus we have.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

German_Panzer wrote:

Please tell me if it looks like I'm being a bit cynical here. But I'm of the conclusion that the Aaron that we saw this January and has underperformed the past several Januaries, is the only one that we will see in all future Januaries. Either age or cold or ultra-conservative play has made an imprint on him that isn't going to be undone at this point. Am I just wrong? (Please be nice.)

So, I'm not trying to be negative here. But when people say that they want Aaron back because of the hope that he gives us in January's future, I'm staggered. I just don't see how that can happen, unless MAYBE we take the wild card road through warm weather venues the whole way.

I know I enjoy watching "old" guys who can still play, especially til Christmastime. But when it turns cold they also freeze up. I just don't want those guys on my team anymore. I turn into Ron Wolf and I say, "better to let a player go too early, than too late." With Aaron, I'm not saying it's too late. But it's exactly the right time to cut ways. I wish him well and I actually hope he continues to play, in Denver.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!