Was the 2011-2021 Era A Success?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
23 Jan 2022 12:56
winningest team the last 30 years doesn't mean much to some fans because we didn't win it all, enough, even though the winning stretch was far longer then just the 60's decade under Lombardi, that decade remains the bench mark for what most fans consider success.

Still it's hard to complain about being the 2nd or third best team in the conference year after year, or having debatably one of, if not the best QB's in the league.

I enjoyed most of the ride with Rodgers, but nothing in life last forever. :(
No it's not - just read my posts. :)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:10
Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:06
Drj820 wrote:
23 Jan 2022 15:02
How many first round picks do we have the next couple seasons?
An irrelevant question seeing as any player we had gained from trading a first round pick would not have fit under the cap.
Hardly. All of those picks could have been used to move up in the draft either this year or the year before. A 1 in 2019 draft certainly grabs Justin Jefferson.

Again, not saying we should have done this...but we absolutely could have leveraged more, and a desperate ownership group very well could and would have. There was certainly more to “risk”. Not that it would be smart.
Nah, doing anything like taking a receiver instead of trading up to take Rodgers replacement is obviously stupid or Guty would have done that, don't ya know :lol:

I've said just about everything possible concerning the lack of receiving options for Rodgers, receivers that can get a quick clean release, are agile in tight quarters, it didn't have to be Justin Jefferson, or Ayiok (SP) but to over look the need in the 2019 draft was idiotic, why purposely !@#$ off the most important player on the team and neglect that need simply to remind that player he is not in charge.

to me if ya have a excellent QB, then you take advantage of that and supply him with great receivers, Adams is one, but one is not enough.

we complain because Rodgers didn't deliver enough Trophy's, I'am convinced what I just said is a big reason why.
ya got Rodgers, and the best you can do is Scantling, Brown, and the rest of the mid to late round or UDFA that have held this offense back? or draft WR's because they have down field blocking skills, I don't get it, when ya keep as many TE's active as ya do WR's, why keep a HOF QB, we should have traded Rodgers 3 years ago if the focus of this offense was running the ball, in a way we just wasted a ton of Money signing Rodgers to this huge contract everyone complains about :munch:

rant over.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2022 12:45
Number of playoff wins vs NFC teams:

Tom Brady - 10
Aaron Rodgers - 10

Brady has the chance to get ahead of Rodgers in this today. And Brady has been an AFC QB most of his career.

Holy crap.
Watching the end of this TB v LA game. It’s not even over but you can see the warrior in Brady. The team thrives on it. Killer instinct. His team may lose but he sure as hell is fighting to the death. Must be nice to see as a fan.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Captain_Ben wrote:
23 Jan 2022 17:12
go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2022 12:45
Number of playoff wins vs NFC teams:

Tom Brady - 10
Aaron Rodgers - 10

Brady has the chance to get ahead of Rodgers in this today. And Brady has been an AFC QB most of his career.

Holy crap.
Watching the end of this TB v LA game. It’s not even over but you can see the warrior in Brady. The team thrives on it. Killer instinct. His team may lose but he sure as hell is fighting to the death. Must be nice to see as a fan.
Kinda like how I feel watching Rodgers until it hits the month of January.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

The chance of winning a SB in 10 years is 1-(31/32^10) = 0.272 = 27.2%. So yes, winning even just one SB in 10 years is a success because it is an unlikely event.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

German_Panzer wrote:
23 Jan 2022 23:10
The chance of winning a SB in 10 years is 1-(31/32^10) = 0.272 = 27.2%. So yes, winning even just one SB in 10 years is a success because it is an unlikely event.
I've loved the many passionate and varied responses, but I notice there is a lot of discussion about the entire Rodgers era (2008-2021) and even a lot of references to the combined Rodgers-Favre era going back to 1992 and whether those eras should or should not be deemed a success. Both of those eras are also great subjects of discussion.

However, I am most interested in, as reflected in the thread title, how dialed in fans view the era the post-2010 Super Bowl win through Saturday night's loss era -- and era many think came to an end with the loss to the 49ers.

During that time, Green Bay won 8 NFC North Titles, 7 playoff games, Rodgers won 3 and looks likely to win a 4th MVP title, but there was no return trip to the Super Bowl.

Focusing on this era, Success? Or Not?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

LombardiTime wrote:
24 Jan 2022 10:33
German_Panzer wrote:
I've loved the many passionate and varied responses, but I notice there is a lot of discussion about the entire Rodgers era (2008-2021) and even a lot of references to the combined Rodgers-Favre era going back to 1992 and whether those eras should or should not be deemed a success. Both of those eras are also great subjects of discussion.

However, I am most interested in, as reflected in the thread title, how dialed in fans view the era the post-2010 Super Bowl win through Saturday night's loss era -- and era many think came to an end with the loss to the 49ers.

During that time, Green Bay won 8 NFC North Titles, 7 playoff games, Rodgers won 3 and looks likely to win a 4th MVP title, but there was no return trip to the Super Bowl.

Focusing on this era, Success? Or Not?
I will say it as this.

If you told us this would would be our next 10 years after how confident we were with our GM, HC, young team, etc.

We would have never believed you. The expectation at that time was at minimum one more ring...if not 2 or more rings. I think all of us would be massively disappointed in March 2011 if we were told that was it for us.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

German_Panzer wrote:
On the other hand, the probability that some team wins is 100%, any reason it can't be the Pack, especially when they're among the likely candidates? Speaking of which, the reasonable/logical odds each year are not 1:32 because we know that a bunch of them don't have a prayer. Using your methodology, what were the odds of Brady's run? As always with us Negative Nellies, it's about expectation. Unlike investments, past performance is often a very good indicator of future performance.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

All Packer eras have been and will continue to be a success. Look at the fan bases over the years....the stock sales....the Packer Fans Everywhere stats. All successful IMHO.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Jan 2022 13:12
All Packer eras have been and will continue to be a success. Look at the fan bases over the years....the stock sales....the Packer Fans Everywhere stats. All successful IMHO.
Yes, this franchise is a success in these regards but when you are discussing championships we should have/could have done better with the caliber of QB we were fortunate enough to have for almost 30 years.

QBs like Favre and Rodgers don't grow on trees. When you look at it that way we have been ridiculously lucky with back to back HOF QBs. There just aren't enough elite QBs to lead 32 teams every year so when you have one you try like heck to keep them as long as possible. Even though Rodgers has had some less than stellar play in these big games it is his play during the regular season that puts us in the postseason in the first place. It is too bad we are in this cap situation today.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Good to know. Lots of people always point to the 70s and 80s as somewhat less than successful.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 14:23
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Good to know. Lots of people always point to the 70s and 80s as somewhat less than successful.
The Packers still existing in GB counts as a success in itself, even if there were rough times along the way. :lombardi:

I thought more about the OP's question, and I think I'll change my response from "a disappointing success" into "an enjoyable failure". Meaning the team failed at winning SBs despite having several legit chances, but almost every season was a great ride. I guess moving on from the heartbreaks comes easier for me than for some, but I appreciate and enjoy being in the hunt. I love not having to talk about the draft until late January...

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Hard to argue with that. :)