BF004 2022 Mock Offseason v.001 (Star Wars Edition)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Welp

I have no idea what this is
23%
More of a Star Trek man myself
No votes
No way that prospect will be there
8%
You didn't even address that position
15%
Bears Still Suck
54%

Total votes: 13

BF004
Reactions:

BF004 2022 Mock Offseason v.001 (Star Wars Edition)

Post by BF004 »

Thought I might need a little more time before getting into this, but alas.

I present to you...

A BF Mock
V.001

Notables

Packers are about $43 million over the $208 million dollar salary cap.

Nathanial Hackett is named the HC in Denver.

Rumors fly early in the process that Aaron Rodgers is going to be moving on from Green Bay and Denver is going to be the destination with Miami making a strong push as well.

Luke Getsy gets an OC job in Denver or elsewhere where he can call plays.

Adam Stenavich is promoted from offensive line/run game coorditor to offensive coordinator

Luke Butkus is promoted from Assistant Offensive Line Coach to Offensive Line Coach

Ryan Mahaffey is given the title of Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Quality Control coach.

Vrable gets passing game coordinator, moves to QB coach where he coached before and Ruvell Martin gets promoted to WR coach.

Maurice Drayton is let go and the Packers make the bold move of promoting Assistant Special Teams coach Rayna Stewart to Special Teams coach.

Packers are awarded comp picks in the 4th and 6th rounds for Linsley and Williams

Extensions / Contractual Moves

Adrian Amos

3 year $33 million dollar extension - $12 million guaranteed (4 year $40.9 Total Contract)

Amos is due 7.9 million dollars this year, this replacement contract really looks like a new 3 year contract for $28.15 million and he gets a $12 million bonus on signing. I think this is a pretty fair deal for both parties. He has been good and durable and has earned this extension. This will also lower his 2022 cap hit by just about $5 million, from $11.98 million to $6.98 million.

Jaire Alexander

4 year $84 million dollar extension - $40 million guaranteed (5 year $97.3 Total Contract)

This will make him the highest paid CB in the NFL by new money (21 per) besting Jalen Ramsey (20 per). I was honestly maybe expecting more, but I think that is kind of the going rate for a CB. Interior defenders and edges are just getting more. Locks up one of the foundations of our team for the long haul. This move saves about 2.3 million to the '22 cap.

Aaron Rodgers

Using this https://overthecap.com/the-future-for-a ... e-packers/
Scenario 3 is to allow Rodgers to negotiate a contract extension with another team with the knowledge that on paper they need the extension to drop his salary for 2022 to the minimum. I believe, but am not certain, that you can include a bonus in a contract that only kicks in if a player is traded. The trade bonus should not count on the salary cap until the player is actually traded. If that is not the case then the two sides could agree to a deal where all of the guarantees and salary in the future would be guaranteed after a trade. The team and Rodgers could then execute another contract after the trade to move more salary back to 2022. The Packers would get a 2022 draft pick in that trade and would be able to keep Rodgers cap number no higher than $26.9 million for the year. There would be no dead money in 2023. This may be the most complicated scenario but also the best one for them.

Rodgers is able to figure out a contract with the Broncos, of which does not matter for this exercise. Rodgers and/or the Broncos are in no way looking to hurt the Packers, and this is the best path to make this happen for all 3 parties. This move saves $19.8 million on the '22 cap.

These three moves move us to 15 million over the cap

Releases / Retirements

Mercedes Lewis

Big Dog retires and is released, should be seek to the opportunity to play later. Move saves $2.5 million.

Mason Crosby

It is time here as well. $2.4 million in '22 cap savings.

Randall Cobb

Sad another fan favorite, just makes sense. $6.8 million in '22 cap savings.

Za'Darius Smith

Rumored to already be unhappy with Packer brass on not getting an extension, they can't come to new terms. $15.3 million in '22 cap savings

Preston Smith

Maybe a shocker to do both when it isn't completely necessary, but the Packers will look to try to resign both. $12.5 million in '22 cap savings

These five moves move us to 24.5 million under the cap.

Resignings

Davante Adams

Davante is franchised tagged for the estimated value of $18.5. It becomes basically known he will be included in the trade with Aaron Rodgers to Denver. Denver can stop GB from trading him elsewhere and can negogiate a longer term contract with him.

Alan Lazard - RFA

RFA tender is about 2.4 million. Lazard likely has more value to our offense than most, great to be able to bring him back for cheap this year, as we might have money in 2023 to resign him.

Yosh Nijman - RFA

Also nice to have him back on an RFA tender. Going to be questions about Bakhtiari until he is back. Also now that Yosh is more comfortable in the system, might be worth asking him to be the swing tackle and learn RT as well. Then perhaps we could have a decision next offseason on trying to resign him or Turner to play RT or neither.

ERFAs
Malik Taylor
Randy Ramsey
Henry Black
Krys Barnes
Dominique Dafney
Jake Hanson
Chauncey Rivers
JJ Molson

The Trade

:packers: TRADE

Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams

:broncos: TRADE

2022 2nd Round Pick - 41 Overall (From Rams)
2023 1st Round Pick
LB Baron Browning
TE Albert Okwuegbunam

Synopsis
What the Broncos want, do not want to give away stars who will help them in the short term, do not want to give away pick #9, as they also want that to help them win now, or excessive draft capital this year.

The Packers are okay taking some deferred compensation, but need something tangible year 1. The Packers also do not want any expensive contracts. Hence pick 41 is ideal and some expendable young talent on rookie contracts is ideal for both teams. It is anticipated the Broncos '23 1st rounder will not be very good, but overall I think this is a nice haul.

Baron Browning is coming off his rookie year, he was a 3rd round pick. He got nearly 50% of the snaps on defense this year due to injuries, and isn't likely to be the starter next year. He had a 54.8 PFF grade, athletic linebacker with some experience. Maybe a bit small for an ideal 3-4 ILB, but can have use in coverage, on the edge and special teams. I might give him a comp to Oren Burks. I did pick him at #41 in a mock last year viewtopic.php?f=2&t=501 .

Albert Okwuegbunam is a bit of a move TE, the style of TE the Packers really seem to target. He did put up an impressive 4.49 40 time at 258 lbs. He has been moderately productive for Denver, putting up 33 catches for 2 TD's this year. But with Noah Fant on the roster, he can be expendable, and the Packers get another decent talent with some experience who can play ST.

Some will think the Packers could have gotten more rumors were swirl the Dolphins were offering more. But at the end of the day, there was an agreement between Denver, GB, Aaron and Davante, that this is what they wanted.

Trading Davante (Aaron's money was already appropriated for) now moves the salary cap space to about $20 million.

Free Agency

DeVondre Campbell

3 years $24 million $12 million guaranteed

Packers had a deal in place with DeVondre, but they needed to wait for the league new year to have the $.

Rasul Douglas

2 years $12 million

They also had a deal in place for Rasul. The guy wants to come back, finally had a breakout year in Joe Barry's defense and he's willing to be on himself he can put up solid production over a longer period of time and still be able to hit the market while in his prime. Packers can't committ a whole lot more than this with Jaire and Stokes on the roster. Packers take care of their two cast off scrubs who performed at crazy high levels this last year.

Preston Smith

2 years - $20 million - $10 million guaranteed.

Packers always wanted to bring or ZaDarius back, Preston shops around a little but decides to come back to GB and play with Kenny and Gary and a great D where he had great success in Barry's D.

Equanimeous St. Brown

1 year - Near minimum

Given he bounced around PS and 53, I don't think there is a ton of demand. Need all hands on deck at WR starting the year. He looks around, but his best chance at playing time and playing for another contract remains in GB.

Byron Pringle

2 years - $12 million

Packers really need something here at WR. He is having his best year, 568 yards and 5 TD's during the regular season. Sportrac has him as only a 3.2 million expected salary, I think that seems low, but around the price range I think the Packers can actually afford and get something that resembles talent. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city ... ket-value/

Notable Losses

Lucas Patrick - Jenkins, Myers, and JRJ got this all filled, with Royce Newman in the wings. Jenkins is your backup center.
Dennis Kelly - Played well enough for a backup, just no money.
Tyler Lancaster - Just gunna be a casualty of money and need to scrub all memories of the playoff when you can' block for a FG.
Whitney Mercilus - I wouldn't rule him coming back if we can't keep either Smith.
Oren Burks - Always wish we could have gotten more from him, but always nice to play out your entire contract.
Kevin King - Don't let the door hit ya
Marquez Valdes-Scantling - I think we'll try to resign him, but I could see some team forking out a lot for him.
Robert Tonyan - $$ too tight, don't think he'll get that much elsewhere, he put out some awful tape in '21
Chandon Sullivan - With Jaire, Stokes and Rasul, just really not room for another 2nd contract.

NFL DRAFT

Round 1 - Pick 28
Treylon Burks - WR - Arkansas - 6'3" 225
Big fan of Burks, reminds me some of AJ Brown. Deceptively big and strong, yet fast, and quick off the line. Excellent after the catch, gets open and good contested catcher. High energy guy on the field, game seems to move slow for him.

Treylon Burks is a former 4-star recruit that was the No. 1 player in the state of Arkansas during the 2019 recruiting cycle. Burks is a three-year starter for the Arkansas Razorbacks. In 2020, Burks was the Razorbacks’ No. 1 receiving threat, leading the team in both catches and yards. Burks lines up as an X receiver, slot receiver, and in the backfield at times for the Arkansas offense. This allows for the coaching staff to find unique ways to get the ball into his hands. When he has the ball in his hands, Burks is a tough tackle for defenders. Burks uses his big frame to power through arm tackles and is rarely brought down by the first defender. Burks also uses his big frame to shield defenders away from the ball and on in-breaking routes. Burke's most dynamic trait is his natural ability to go up and over defenders to win 50/50 balls. He thrives at contested catches because he has an in-depth understanding of body positioning. Burks is a big-bodied receiver that understands how to use his body in multiple different ways to be a versatile weapon for the Razorback offense. 

Round 2 - Pick 9
Devonte Wyatt - DT - Georgia - 6'4" 315
Man among boys out there. Crazy quick how fast his first step is. Can tell he has special strength too, looks a little raw putting it all together, but I'm not sure you'll find much a higher ceiling if he can put it together.

Georgia’s Devonte Wyatt has been a four-year contributor for the Bulldog defense and has improved with each season. As a senior, Wyatt has seemingly put everything together and had a breakout season, which has earned him a trip to the Senior Bowl. Wyatt is an excellent athlete inside, displaying quickness and burst to penetrate gaps. He is a disruptive interior rusher with the quickness to win the edges inside and shoot gaps. Wyatt plays with good balance and has excellent change of direction and lateral mobility. He has very good speed overall to cross offensive linemen’s faces and is excellent with his hands, showing an ability to tie rush moves together inside. Wyatt is susceptible to power in the running game and there are times he loses gap integrity, especially when forced to face double teams. He has just average power overall and wins primarily with his first-step quickness and motor. A versatile defender, Wyatt can align anywhere along the line of scrimmage. having had success playing 0-tech all the way to rushing outside at 7-tech. A player whose best football is still ahead of him, Wyatt has the size, length, pass rush instincts, and athleticism to develop into a consistent interior rusher at the next level. 

*** TRADE ***
Packers give pick 60 and their 4th round comp pick to move up to pick 50

Round 2 pick 18
Wan'Dale Robinson - WR - Kentucky - 5'10 - 190
Seems like an ideal fit for our offense, in the slot, jet sweep mold. Quicker than fast, also dangerous with the ball in hands. Feel like I'm missing a bit of that top speed, but haven't seen enough, be excited to see his measurables at the combine.

Kentucky wide receiver Wan’Dale Robinson projects as an impactful weapon at the NFL level after a successful transition from the Nebraska Cornhuskers program to the Kentucky Wildcats in 2021. Offensive coordinator Liam Coen did a terrific job of making the most of Robinson’s skill set this past season—something that Nebraska struggled with during his two years of playing time in Lincoln. Robinson is a quick-twitch athlete who is a natural playmaker with the ball in his hands. He’s electric to watch attack defenders and stress their discipline in space. The key to unlocking Robinson’s potential with the Wildcats was his role and usage as a primary wide receiver. Robinson was recruited as a running back and his transition into a wide receiver has steadily developed, culminating with more than 1,100 receiving yards in 2021’s regular season. The Wildcats crafted some quick-hitting touches for Robinson with jet motion, screen passes, and attacking free access at the snap, but his role also featured vertical receiver and downfield efforts and allowed Robinson to show a pleasantly well-rounded skill set as a player despite his transformation from a backfield weapon. I don’t see the profile of a perimeter wide receiver when watching Robinson and slotting him in only one role would be missing an opportunity to maximize his potential impact on an offense—I’m hoping to see him land in a role that will continue to ask him to line up all over the middle of the field and in the backfield. He did partake in some reps as a returner as well and I think that’s a logical extension of his skill set as a quick-footed, agile ball carrier, too. 

Round 3 pick 28
Cobe Bryant - CB - Cincinnati - 6'1" 198

The Green & Gold Mamba, #2 CB behind 'Sauce', but is his own quality prospect. Big, physical smart, strong. Good luck trying to search for anything on the guy though

He’s not flashy in the way he does it, nor is he looking to become a boisterous leader of a defense. But Bryant is as effective as they come. He utilizes terrific hips and an even better understanding of offensive route combinations to his advantage. He’ll pass off routes in zone coverage to make plays on balls not even thrown to his area just the same as he’ll close space onto his primary targets.

Round 4 Guard/Right Tackle
Round 5 NT/DE
Round 6a Special Teams (Kicker or LS)
Round 6b QB
Round 7 OLB

image.png
image.png (34.09 KiB) Viewed 668 times

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Wow, somebody has too much time on his hands. :) Be interesting to see how much of this comes to pass. Nice effort.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2022 15:27
The Trade

:packers: TRADE

Aaron Rodgers
Davante Adams

:broncos: TRADE

2022 2nd Round Pick - 41 Overall (From Rams)
2023 1st Round Pick
LB Baron Browning
TE Albert Okwuegbunam
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
25 Jan 2022 15:55
Wow, somebody has too much time on his hands. :) Be interesting to see how much of this comes to pass. Nice effort.
For the most part I got these mocks down to a template its fairly easy to update, and I've been working on my first one for honestly probably a month or two now. Just never really had the motivation to put all the pieces together where it makes sense till now.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
25 Jan 2022 15:27
... and the Packers make the bold move of promoting Assistant Special Teams coach Rayna Stewart to Special Teams coach.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ok, so I'll ask. You believe that a 2nd, future 1st, and 2 young players (3rd and 4th rounders) is going to be our value return? Or that ballpark anyway?

I'm assuming we'll get less than we all want. Less than a guy like Stafford brought in. But I admit that this would be disappointing for me.

I think future compensation has to be in the equation, given our situation. People thinking multiple 1s this year aren't realistic. I'd like to add at least another future 2nd to this haul.

Don't know much about how well either player has played since being drafted. So could be good value. :idn:

Sorry, no actual input here.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
25 Jan 2022 17:19
Ok, so I'll ask. You believe that a 2nd, future 1st, and 2 young players (3rd and 4th rounders) is going to be our value return? Or that ballpark anyway?

I'm assuming we'll get less than we all want. Less than a guy like Stafford brought in. But I admit that this would be disappointing for me.

I think future compensation has to be in the equation, given our situation. People thinking multiple 1s this year aren't realistic. I'd like to add at least another future 2nd to this haul.

Don't know much about how well either player has played since being drafted. So could be good value. :idn:

Sorry, no actual input here.
I do definitely think we'll get less than we are expecting, especially if we are talking the 3 firsts area, not gunna happen.

And guess I was kind of more thinking the Davante tag and inclusion is more of a wink and a nod agreement between GB, Denver, AR, and Adams, to get him included in there. Make sure he doesn't get some kind of stupid $200 million offer from the Redskins, or even stop the Packers from looking to trade him elsewhere. Players talk about how they get treated by teams, we definitely aren't out to stick it to Davante or Aaron, everything but, grant them their wishes while getting more compensation than we would from releasing and/or comp picks.

But I don't know. Could say screw it and send Aaron to Miami for two firsts and Davante to the Jets for another, lol.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I think bring back davante and the roster is just as good if not better than now.

Bahk, Jenkins back.

Jaire back on def.

All the others you mentioned plus draft picks.

Only difference is QB.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Love the effort! And entertaining as hell.

My only thought right now is the following:
You want Aaron Rodgers? You are giving us your 9th pick. Plain and simple.

I hate it when people nitpick just one thing on these mocks but I can't wrap my head around not getting their 9th pick for the two HOFers we are giving them.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

Personally, If we were to accept future 1st round picks - we would be able to get more because future 1st round picks are uncertain unlike knowing this years 1st round draft slot. This years draft isnt a very top heavy draft class - but 2023 and 2024 are regarded to be good ones, especially 2023 with 3 very good qbs- So much of me just thinks, look if you're gonna to try to rebuild around some very talented young defensive players and a pretty good Oline- well just do it and cut the older veterans, clean up the books, start building leaders out of the young talent and get as much future draft capital as you can to be able to make some draft moves in future years. Would have Ron Wolf traded a first round pick for an unknown bench warming QB in Atlanta if he only had 1 1st round pick that year? .maybe but that would have been risky. Also, nowadays in the NFL- you dont want to ever be mediocre- you can spend years and years trying to get out of that 12-20 Draft range by trying to be just good enough- example Minnesota Vikings, Cleveland Browns, etc. Dont become one of those teams. - I just personally think 2022 is a perfect year to clean up the books, stack some future draft capital, habd the reigns to the young talent and see who becomes leaders, cut veterans that wont be here to ride the next all-in phase, see what you got with the unknowns ( Love) and get ready for 2023 and beyond

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Don’t know much about the player selections but I love the Star Wars theme incorporation. :aok:

Oh, and you’re wrong about trade compensation. One semi-premium draft pick (likely late first), a 2nd and some roster fillers for two elite players? I think not.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I like most of this. Unfortunate to lose Tonyan. Yes, I know this was not a good season for him but he was asked to block more because Bakh was not able to play so of course he could not get downfield.

If (and maybe a big if) Bakh is really healthy now, I make 2 changes. I cut Turner and start Jenkins at RT. If Turner is cut after June 1st, it saves 6 mil. The Packers have a proven Nijman and I am pretty sure Runyan can play RT if necessary as he was a college LT. There is no shortage of young guards.

I use the money from Turner to resign Tonyan. That big dude you drafted at WR can presumably block also. So the starting O lineup is
Bakh, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Jenkins
Okwuegbunam, Tonyan
Burks, Lazard/ESB
Dillon/Jones/Hill
Love

This is a lineup for 10 play scoring drives, for winning games by 17-10, for keeping the Packers D fresh and having the opposing D exhausted in the 4th quarter.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
26 Jan 2022 04:26
I like most of this. Unfortunate to lose Tonyan.
This is seriously becoming my favorite thing on this forum. :lol: :heart: :heart:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I get the idea of Denver not wanting to unload all of its picks for the Rodgers run (though I would point at LAR and say it's doable). But I think compensation I am expecting is 2 picks this year and 2 future picks:

2022 - Pick 9 and if they want to give us their Rams 2nd rounder that is fine, but I would really, really like pick 41.
2023 - Their 2nd rounder
2024 - Their 1st rounder

Even something like that allows Denver to not lose so many "premium picks' for the Rodgers run but does adequately compensate us for our troubles. Plus, having so many draft picks in a year has its challenges too.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2022 05:16
I get the idea of Denver not wanting to unload all of its picks for the Rodgers run (though I would point at LAR and say it's doable). But I think compensation I am expecting is 2 picks this year and 2 future picks:

2022 - Pick 9 and if they want to give us their Rams 2nd rounder that is fine, but I would really, really like pick 41.
2023 - Their 2nd rounder
2024 - Their 1st rounder

Even something like that allows Denver to not lose so many "premium picks' for the Rodgers run but does adequately compensate us for our troubles. Plus, having so many draft picks in a year has its challenges too.
And if nothing else, I'd expect a player like Jeudy to be included in the player exchange. It's not like the Broncos would be without a No. 1 WR as well as multiple other quality targets were Jeudy to be dealt. Adams, Patrick, Sutton, and Fant make for a formidable corps of receiving weapons. There is no way I'd sign a deal with them that didn't include the No. 9 overall or Jeudy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
26 Jan 2022 05:48
go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2022 05:16

2023 - Their 2nd rounder
2024 - Their 1st rounder

And if nothing else, I'd expect a player like Jeudy to be included in the player exchange. It's not like the Broncos would be without a No. 1 WR as well as multiple other quality targets were Jeudy to be dealt. Adams, Patrick, Sutton, and Fant make for a formidable corps of receiving weapons. There is no way I'd sign a deal with them that didn't include the No. 9 overall or Jeudy.
Yeah I thought about Jeudy. I think he was injured most of his career so we don't really know much about him.

Plus, if I am Denver, I would rather have a 3rd year WR than a #9 draft pick. Because we don't want Denver fans saying Rodgers doesn't have a good 3rd target.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sports Illustrated and Matt Schneideman are reporting potential compensation for Rodgers and Adams is 4 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and a player.

I don't think it's that much, but I do expect heavy compensation.

I mean "technically" Rodgers and Adams going to DEN would make them instant contenders. And that is tough to turn down
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2022 07:00
Sports Illustrated and Matt Schneideman are reporting potential compensation for Rodgers and Adams is 4 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and a player.

I don't think it's that much, but I do expect heavy compensation.

I mean "technically" Rodgers and Adams going to DEN would make them instant contenders. And that is tough to turn down
If somebody offers that, I take that 100 times out of 100.

I don't think it will be anything hear that.

Guess I am hopeful for more than I put in here, but tried to tone it back.

Just gotta make another mock now where we keep Aaron and Davante now just to see how all the jigsaw pieces actually fit together.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

nice work!! this is awesome

I did this Monday to try and numb the pain ha. I do think pick 9 can be had. I also got WR tim Patrick coming to GB in the deal. Dev has a nice wr group and add Adams to that somebody can be had. Patrick is big fast and has played well the last 2 seasons.

I like the draft you did. Wyatt is gonna be a bad dude in the NFL. Him KC and TJ will make a nice young long term group on the DL. I really hope GB can land this guy in a weak DL class.

I also see GB attacking the WR position early and often. I like quiet a few WRs in this draft. maybe not a class of all world talents but some guys that can be really good 2s and make a wr room good to great.

:aok: