Do we even want Rodgers back?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Do we want Rodgers back?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 35

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
26 Jan 2022 20:17
texas wrote:
26 Jan 2022 20:14
bud fox wrote:
26 Jan 2022 20:12

I dont think Rodgers cares about fans. How much time does any player directly interact with fans?

I think it will be primarily about money and winning.
I think Aaron Rodgers does care about fans. He is known to be incredibly online.
Is he on this forum? Am i Aaron Rodgers?

oh &%$@
I have always just assumed you were his agent :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
26 Jan 2022 18:12

If you think you would rather Love and Garropolo over Mahomes and Rodgers we should just stop now. No point.
It's not a question of rather have. I know what player I would rather have in terms of pure ability. These debates turn irrationally emotional for no reason with this kind of talk.

It's what can we do. Keeping Rodgers in GB will command maximum resources. You have said so yourself many, many, many times that Rodgers should get paid a max deal.

2020 and 2021 has shown me that even with a top roster, Rodgers cannot lead the Packers to a SB so why would I think he could do it moving forward with a less than stellar roster?

We experienced the peak and have nothing to show for it. We have over 10 seasons, post 2010, showing the same data and outcomes. Some with great teams, some with good teams, some with not so good teams. But all seasons have come back the same thing - what we are doing isn't working and when the time comes to step up and make a play, our offense withers away (except 2016). Continuing with what we are doing while being able to afford less surrounding parts makes no sense. If we can't advance needing to only score 2 TDs, how can we expect improvement in future years.

The era is over or at least it needs to be over.

I know your thoughts and opinions on the man. It will never change. Everything good is because of him and everything bad is because of everyone but him. I will always view him as a fantastic talent, great person and favorite player in my lifetime (I was a small minority who ardently stood up for him in 2008 before it was cool to do so. I even have a rare 12 Rodgers jersey with the NFL 31 star logo to prove it), but I cannot overlook the disappointment of these last two years (and combined with 2014) of not sealing the deal when the deal was there to be sealed.

Two years in a row he has Allen Lazard wide open on critical plays and instead stares down Adams and both result in incompletions that end up losing the game. GOATs rise up to these moments. Rodgers didn't. And for us, it is over. And I can't help but look at every player not on defense (and Kevin King) as losers because of it. And yes. That anger extends to Aaron Jones for running like an idiot after the catch. Or Josiah Deguara who can't catch honestly the best throw Rodgers made all freaking game. I hold no punches back on anyone.

This game was the final straw. Each year it is a new excuse but same outcome. And 2020 and 2021 was the peak.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2022 19:23
Foosball wrote:
26 Jan 2022 19:08
LaFleur and Gutey are saying all the right things. And they have to at this stage.

I hope they realize they will never get more draft picks and players for Rodgers then this year. At some point they will have to move on.

Look at how Stafford is doing with the Rams. Other teams will think they can do the same or better with Rodgers. They will give up a lot to get him.
they are scared to lose him. It would be easy if they thought Love could play. They know who butters the biscuits in Green Bay.
This makes me nervous too. Who cares if Love sucks. The results will be the same; we won't be a championship contending team regardless. I know MLF says 22 isn't a rebuilding year but let's be honest...it should be.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

[mention]go pak go[/mention]

I think after that game Rodgers is going to want to leave. So we will get the split.

We will see a Packerless Rodgers and a Rodgerless Packers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
26 Jan 2022 20:24
Drj820 wrote:
Foosball wrote:
26 Jan 2022 19:08
LaFleur and Gutey are saying all the right things. And they have to at this stage.

I hope they realize they will never get more draft picks and players for Rodgers then this year. At some point they will have to move on.

Look at how Stafford is doing with the Rams. Other teams will think they can do the same or better with Rodgers. They will give up a lot to get him.
they are scared to lose him. It would be easy if they thought Love could play. They know who butters the biscuits in Green Bay.
This makes me nervous too. Who cares if Love sucks. The results will be the same; we won't be a championship contending team regardless. I know MLF says 22 isn't a rebuilding year but let's be honest...it should be.
easy for us to take our medicine for a year as we move into the future. The front office has a lot of pride though. They know Rodgers keeps them employed, because Rodgers gets them to the postseason. For Lafleur, Rodgers gets him one of the best records to begin a career ever. For Gutey, Rodgers covers a multitude of sins...compared to what a Love can cover.
He did it for years.

We can say "ah we will take a down year", they will hear "See!! You cant do anything without 12!!"

and they really really would like to delay the day that they will have to hear that. Heck, if Rodgers stays for an extra two years then the wheels fall off..thats probably millions more in income earned by the coach and FO.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I don't think the chances of Rodgers winning a Super Bowl with a worse roster are 0. I think they're still decent. There are still enough reasonably common enough pathways that end with us winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers. He makes it more difficult in the playoffs with his tendency to go into playground mode, but it's not impossible to win with him, or to win with a team which is worse than the one we put out there this year.

Like I said, all it will take is for us to play the Cowboys, Bears, and then a &%$@ AFC team. Or get hit with the injury bug, get the 4th seed, and draw Washington and then go to play in some nice domed stadiums.

Or maybe MLF will figure out a way to do what I think needs to be the top priority and that is: find a way to take the game out of Rodgers' hands without allowing him to realize that the game is being taken out of his hands. The obvious way to do that is to pound the ball with AJ Dillon, but the problem is that he got hurt. For one thing, knowing how important he was to the gameplan should have prevented them from playing him on ST (which is another reason to fire Drayton and fire MLF is he doesn't fire Drayton). And also, we should probably find a Dillon backup, some guy who can pound the rock, in case Dillon gets hurt or needs a breather. Jones/Hill are not that guy.

Because honestly, this is really the only thing that matters. Rodgers gets us to the playoffs but then loses it for us, and rather than giving him another superstar WR who he won't throw to, we need to develop a gameplan which does not feature Rodgers, for those tough games.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

texas wrote:
26 Jan 2022 21:26
I don't think the chances of Rodgers winning a Super Bowl with a worse roster are 0. I think they're still decent. There are still enough reasonably common enough pathways that end with us winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers. He makes it more difficult in the playoffs with his tendency to go into playground mode, but it's not impossible to win with him, or to win with a team which is worse than the one we put out there this year.

Like I said, all it will take is for us to play the Cowboys, Bears, and then a &%$@ AFC team. Or get hit with the injury bug, get the 4th seed, and draw Washington and then go to play in some nice domed stadiums.

Or maybe MLF will figure out a way to do what I think needs to be the top priority and that is: find a way to take the game out of Rodgers' hands without allowing him to realize that the game is being taken out of his hands. The obvious way to do that is to pound the ball with AJ Dillon, but the problem is that he got hurt. For one thing, knowing how important he was to the gameplan should have prevented them from playing him on ST (which is another reason to fire Drayton and fire MLF is he doesn't fire Drayton). And also, we should probably find a Dillon backup, some guy who can pound the rock, in case Dillon gets hurt or needs a breather. Jones/Hill are not that guy.

Because honestly, this is really the only thing that matters. Rodgers gets us to the playoffs but then loses it for us, and rather than giving him another superstar WR who he won't throw to, we need to develop a gameplan which does not feature Rodgers, for those tough games.
Big yes to the bolded.

We will not have as good of a roster in 2022 than in 2021. We may not need as strong of a one.

The 2021 one was an all-in roster that won 13 games despite horribly rotten injury luck and uncommonly and unexplainably bad STs. That's what an all-in roster gives you, more margin for error. But not unlimited margin. As we've seen, there's no roster that automatically wins it all.

If AR gets extended and stays, the 2022 roster won't be god-awful. Far from that. In fact, I'd predict an easyish playoff spot. The rest of the NFC North is in disarray. We would need a draft with some instant impact, and another find or two in cheap FA/trades. And way better injury luck.

Gutey has been plenty good enough at finding affordable talent. LaFleur went 13-3 twice without an all-in roster. His scheme has incredible variety and can mold to fit the talent at hand.

It is not out of the question we could make a push...

Seems to me a lot of people think we need to be heavy paper tiger favorites, or it's not worth the bother. Forgetting all about 2010, it seem they seek the emotional harbor of knowing either that we will win or we will lose. Bad news: It's the NFL, you never know. Unless you are da Bears, in which case you should know you still suck.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

salmar80 wrote:
26 Jan 2022 22:34
texas wrote:

Big yes to the bolded.

We will not have as good of a roster in 2022 than in 2021. We may not need as strong of a one.

The 2021 one was an all-in roster that won 13 games despite horribly rotten injury luck and uncommonly and unexplainably bad STs. That's what an all-in roster gives you, more margin for error. But not unlimited margin. As we've seen, there's no roster that automatically wins it all.

If AR gets extended and stays, the 2022 roster won't be god-awful. Far from that. In fact, I'd predict an easyish playoff spot. The rest of the NFC North is in disarray. We would need a draft with some instant impact, and another find or two in cheap FA/trades. And way better injury luck.

Gutey has been plenty good enough at finding affordable talent. LaFleur went 13-3 twice without an all-in roster. His scheme has incredible variety and can mold to fit the talent at hand.

It is not out of the question we could make a push...

Seems to me a lot of people think we need to be heavy paper tiger favorites, or it's not worth the bother. Forgetting all about 2010, it seem they seek the emotional harbor of knowing either that we will win or we will lose. Bad news: It's the NFL, you never know. Unless you are da Bears, in which case you should know you still suck.

If AR gets extended and stays, the 2022 roster will be god-awful. or the following years will be even worse

Technically you are correct. The Packers can push the salary cap down the road. But sooner or later the piper has to be paid. Sooner or later the rebuild cannot be delayed. Rodgers can be long gone but the Packers will still be in salary cap hell paying him his dead cap. And the longer it is delayed, the worse it will be. If the Packers trade him this offseason, they keep the bulk of the team together. Worst case maybe a 4-13 season, more probably a 7-10 season, but then a year later the draft picks and an experienced Love pay dividends and the Packers are a playoff team again.

But if they delay it, they gut the team this year or gut it next year (Jaire, Jenkins, Smith) and then we are looking at a gutted team with Rodgers being a shell of what he was. Then we are looking at 1-16 seasons for several years.

You think that Gute wants 2 or 3 years of 1-16 seasons on his record? Get real, he is gone and there will be no Campbell or Douglas.
You think that MLF wants 2 or 3 years of 1-16 seasons on his record? Get real, no coach in the league will want to be in GB.
You think any player wants to play on a 1-16 team? Well of course they will - if and only if they get paid a lot more than any other team will pay them - and what will that do to the cap situation?

Who wants to be a GM, a HC, a position coach, a scout or a player or even a trainer on a 1-16 team?

Remember John Hadl, what did that cost, 20 years of rebuilding seasons before Wolf took a chance on GB?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Jan 2022 20:50
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

easy for us to take our medicine for a year as we move into the future. The front office has a lot of pride though. They know Rodgers keeps them employed, because Rodgers gets them to the postseason. For Lafleur, Rodgers gets him one of the best records to begin a career ever.
This is the type of language that rubs me the wrong way. "Rodgers gets him one of the best records to begin a career"

First - it is THE best record to begin a career. MLF reached 39 wins before any other coach.

But overall it's this "Rodgers did it and was automatic". Not at all. 2019 we won 13 games with a Rodgers who was a an 8th to 14th rated QB (very modest/average QB). We won in 2019 thanks to our defense, run game and simple pass game. MLF deserves far more credit for 2019's success. 2020, yes. That was largely elevated on Rodgers stupendous play but 2021 again saw great defense, great grit, great running attacks and efficiency until about Week 10 - Week 17.

Was Rodgers part of this? Absolutely but this type of language is not representative of the 2019 - 2021 GBPs.

It was a damn good football team.

And saying "we will see how this Packers team does in 2022 without Rodgers" is not fair in the slightest. It all depends on the level of QB Love is as well as how much of the team we can keep together. The expectation should be we will take a considerable step backwards.

Now that all being said, we have seen some consistent issues from our team in the post season:
1. Z'darius Smith can't defend the run to save his life
2. Kevin King chose the wrong time to have the all time worst game of his career.
3. Rodgers doesn't step up when the moment is huge
4. AJ Dillon is always absent in our losses
5. Aaron Jones does bone-headed plays (I wish it was Jones who got hurt and AJ Dillon who was healthy vs SF)
6. MLF shrinks in the big moment
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

texas wrote:

So build a team that is successful without needing Rodgers...

why have him at all?

If we want to be 2012 - 2015 Seattle Seahawks or 2015 Denver Broncos, then move on from the player that is the largest wall in allowing us to become that.

If getting into the postseason is the goal, it's not that tough anymore with 7 teams. If you have a legit enough team to be a type that can contend, you can get to a 9-8 or 10-7 record to get you into the postseason.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jan 2022 06:16
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

easy for us to take our medicine for a year as we move into the future. The front office has a lot of pride though. They know Rodgers keeps them employed, because Rodgers gets them to the postseason. For Lafleur, Rodgers gets him one of the best records to begin a career ever.
This is the type of language that rubs me the wrong way. "Rodgers gets him one of the best records to begin a career"

First - it is THE best record to begin a career. MLF reached 39 wins before any other coach.

But overall it's this "Rodgers did it and was automatic". Not at all. 2019 we won 13 games with a Rodgers who was a an 8th to 14th rated QB (very modest/average QB). We won in 2019 thanks to our defense, run game and simple pass game. MLF deserves far more credit for 2019's success. 2020, yes. That was largely elevated on Rodgers stupendous play but 2021 again saw great defense, great grit, great running attacks and efficiency until about Week 10 - Week 17.

Was Rodgers part of this? Absolutely but this type of language is not representative of the 2019 - 2021 GBPs.

And saying "we will see how this Packers team does in 2022 without Rodgers" is not fair in the slightest. It all depends on the level of QB Love is as well as how much of the team we can keep together. The expectation should be we will take a considerable step backwards.

Now that all being said, we have seen some consistent issues from our team in the post season:
2. Kevin King chose the wrong time to have the all time worst game of his career.
5. Aaron Jones does bone-headed plays (I wish it was Jones who got hurt and AJ Dillon who was healthy vs SF)
Dude the QB position affects more wins than any other position. Are we a playoff team in 2019 or 20 without Rodgers? Honestly, the division is so bad...we probably are unless STs sabotages the whole season like it did the playoffs. But no way in heck are we a 13 win team without Rodgers...good team? Maybe. 13 wins and have the coach off to a record start? Heck no.

And Lafleur knows this too. Everyone does.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 06:20

Dude the QB position affects more wins than any other position. Are we a playoff team in 2019 or 20 without Rodgers? Honestly, the division is so bad...we probably are unless STs sabotages the whole season like it did the playoffs. But no way in heck are we a 13 win team without Rodgers...good team? Maybe. 13 wins and have the coach off to a record start? Heck no.

I'm not arguing any of that - that Rodgers deserves a ton of credit.

It's just the absolutist language I disagree with. I can turn it around and say MLF and the Gute/MLF philosophy carried Rodgers to 39 wins too.

Because I saw what he did from 2015 - 2018 without that philosophy.

Let's just be honest with the language and say both were great for each other until the postseason.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jan 2022 06:16
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

to me our offense declined this year some over 2020, probably because even Tae is defendable, specially given all the film for DC to study and design coverages to stop him.

it looks easy to call out Jones on that long throw and catch, someone said he was out of position and had to recover which is the reason he didn't score or go out of bounds, I think that comment has merit, it always looks easier then what it truly is.

for whatever reason Rodgers gets tunnel vision with Tae and misses other receivers when there open, to me this seems like a lack of trust, and a short coming of Rodgers, and a desire he's always had for extra yardage plays, he's a two season guy, regular season he has under Lafluer spread the ball around, post season he gets the tunnel vision act going, among the Lazard being open to win this game there where others open through out the 2nd half, Lewis was wide open several times that I saw.

back to Jones, he was the leading receiver, and is far more gifted then Dillon, actually he ( other then MVS) is the quickest offensive player we have, but he's no a bone i fid receiver, as we saw on the long pass.

we saw very few jet sweeps this year, I think mostly do to some injury's ( Bak mostly) if you lack success trying that stuff then it wont force a defense to pay special attn. to stop it, so I don't want to blame MLF to much for the lack of mis direction plays, when he had players to do that stuff with he used it plenty in 2020.

this is a really tough loss to get over because the future is so uncertain, the coach and GM naturally want to keep Rodgers, and it sounds like they will do all they can to accomplish that, while you and others ( I'am undecided) want to trade him, keep all the talent we can and roll with Love next year, it's probably not a fan favorite thing to do, it'll be interesting off season again, Rodgers and Drama seem to be a yearly thing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jan 2022 06:49
Drj820 wrote:

It's just the absolutist language I disagree with. I can turn it around and say MLF and the Gute/MLF philosophy carried Rodgers to 39 wins too.

Let's just be honest with the language and say both were great for each other until the postseason.
aHHHH, the 2015 to 2018 stretch problems where about more then just Rodgers, we had terrible defense, and where rebuilding the WR position with very raw recruits, and McCarthy practically refused to run the ball, hard to blame Rodgers for not being able to carry that crap.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2022 06:57
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

aHHHH, the 2015 to 2018 stretch problems where about more then just Rodgers, we had terrible defense, and where rebuilding the WR position with very raw recruits, and McCarthy practically refused to run the ball, hard to blame Rodgers for not being able to carry that crap.
I know yoop. That's what I said.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I guess the language may be triggering you, but I absolulety believe it is true.

I never said we would be 0-16 without Rodgers. I said Lafleur would not have three straight seasons of 13-0, and then later said many of the guys in the FO would be out of jobs without Rodgers because of the sins he covered up in the mid 2010s....

But back to thing about 13 wins, you admit it was a Rodgers + Lafleur combo that go us to that echelon. I dont disagree it was that combination at all. So now, if its a combo that involves at least 2...what would happen when one of the major pieces in that combo goes away? Of course the amount of success that was reached with both partners would not be reached. It is just common sense to me.

Its why Lafleur really wants Rodgers back. He knows his best chance to have a great record and look really good is with the reigning MVP. Any coach would know that, saying that out loud is not a slight on Lafleur. Reid knows it with Mahommes, McDermont knows it with Allen, Taylor knows it with Burrow. Its not taking anything from Lafleur, Reid, McDermont, or Taylor...its just revealing of how important the QB position is and much it impacts winning and losing.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:12

Its why Lafleur really wants Rodgers back. He knows his best chance to have a great record and look really good is with the reigning MVP. Any coach would know that, saying that out loud is not a slight on Lafleur. Reid knows it with Mahommes, McDermont knows it with Allen, Taylor knows it with Burrow. Its not taking anything from Lafleur, Reid, McDermont, or Taylor...its just revealing of how important the QB position is and much it impacts winning and losing.
Oh agreed. People will always want the easiest route. It is why I still have the Ted Thompson avatar. I have so much respect for that man because even McCarthy said the same thing from January to March 2008 how Favre was the best in the league and he would do anything to have him back.

I don't know what would have happened had Thompson not been in the room in August when Favre flew back in. Rodgers was incredibly unknown in 2008. It took courage to take the hard path and move on. It nearly blew up for them too and cost them their jobs in 2009 when Favre made the Packers pay.

I want MLF and Gute to do the hard job. I want them to not take the easy way out. I know what the easy way will likely get us. 11 wins, North division titles and heartbreak in January.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I honestly don't even know what you two are debating anymore... :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:22
I honestly don't even know what you two are debating anymore... :idn:
It's not too tough. My stance has always been the same.

I get angry when people put Rodgers on a pedestal by throwing all credit when things are good but finding deferring all blame away from him when things go bad. If we had 2 - 4 SB Rings, I would be screaming from the mountain top he is the GOAT. But the Packers didn't. Even when there was ample opportunity to do so.

As for what we do now, I also have been quite clear here: I want the Packers to make the hard decision and move on. I want the philosophy change of the team and focus on building around the QB position as strengths rather than focusing on the QB position itself as we have done the last 30 years. I want to be a winner even with a 15th to 20th rated QB but I also understand that may take time. I worry that selfishly the GM and HC don't want to do this for their job security, but I hope by now they have built enough clout in our stable organization to be able to have a go at it without job worry.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:20
Drj820 wrote:
27 Jan 2022 07:12

Oh agreed. People will always want the easiest route. It is why I still have the Ted Thompson avatar. I have so much respect for that man because even McCarthy said the same thing from January to March 2008 how Favre was the best in the league and he would do anything to have him back.

I don't know what would have happened had Thompson not been in the room in August when Favre flew back in. Rodgers was incredibly unknown in 2008. It took courage to take the hard path and move on. It nearly blew up for them too and cost them their jobs in 2009 when Favre made the Packers pay.

I want MLF and Gute to do the hard job. I want them to not take the easy way out. I know what the easy way will likely get us. 11 wins, North division titles and heartbreak in January.
I too respect Ted Thompson. He was a great GM for many years. But I do not agree with you that the data points that previewed what Rdogers may become are similar to what Love has shown us he might become. I do agree a coach would prefer the known commodity, makes total sense.

But Ted very well may have come to a different decision if Jordan Love was the next man up, and not Aaron Rodgers.