Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
29 Jan 2022 00:30
Rodgers for Wilson… In y’all’s dreams. Isn’t gonna happen.

Roll with Love. He’ll do fine. Probably not elite fine. But he’ll be good enough.
It's impossible for us to know that given such a small sampling, I'd bring in a vet thats actually shown some minimal success just in case, we need a backup better then Benkurt anyway.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:00
Scott4Pack wrote:

Roll with Love. He’ll do fine. Probably not elite fine. But he’ll be good enough.
It's impossible for us to know that given such a small sampling, I'd bring in a vet thats actually shown some minimal success just in case, we need a backup better then Benkurt anyway.
Nope, ride and die. If we suck and fall completely on our face, revel in the higher draft picks.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:17
Yoop wrote:
Scott4Pack wrote:

Nope, ride and die. If we suck and fall completely on our face, revel in the higher draft picks.
ride and die is suicidal :lol: can't support that, and a seasoned old vet is prone to less mistakes then Love who is bound to make some, my main concern is that whomever is QB doesn't defeat us, we can compete with strong defense and a run first offense as long as the QB doesn't screw it up. :mrgreen:

I like your mock draft :aok: don't know the players as yet but the positions ya hit on look great.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:27
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

ride and die is suicidal :lol: can't support that, and a seasoned old vet is prone to less mistakes then Love who is bound to make some, my main concern is that whomever is QB doesn't defeat us, we can compete with strong defense and a run first offense as long as the QB doesn't screw it up. :mrgreen:

I like your mock draft :aok: don't know the players as yet but the positions ya hit on look great.
I'm all for ride and die in 2022. I don't know that a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mariota gives us any benefit this season over a Benkert at backup. Just costs more.

But I'm also not expecting us to be SB contenders either. Not serious anyway. MLF, Benkert, and a QB coach should be enough for Love.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:51
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

I'm all for ride and die in 2022. I don't know that a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Mariota gives us any benefit this season over a Benkert at backup. Just costs more.

But I'm also not expecting us to be SB contenders either. Not serious anyway. MLF, Benkert, and a QB coach should be enough for Love.
the odds of Love even being a average starter are slim, the odds of a top 10 pick QB being even better then average are rotten, If Rodgers goes to Denver I want Carr in return, as I said I think we can contend as long as whomever our QB is doesn't hinder us, and Love does not look ready to me.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 08:14
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

the odds of Love even being a average starter are slim, the odds of a top 10 pick QB being even better then average are rotten, If Rodgers goes to Denver I want Carr in return, as I said I think we can contend as long as whomever our QB is doesn't hinder us, and Love does not look ready to me.
Exactly. Trading Rodgers for draft picks leads to at best 1 top 10 pick for a QB in the draft before the Pack starts losing enough to be up there continually. The odds of that pick being a Mayfield or a Trubisky are much higher than a Josh Allen or a Justin Herbert. You have maybe a 20% chance of that pick being great after 3 years. You have a 90% chance of Russel W being elite or near elite for 3 years.
Last edited by lake shark on 29 Jan 2022 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Where to begin.....

If Love ends up an average starter for the next 2 seasons, you draft a replacement in 1-2 years or you sign a free agent then.
If you (MLF and Gutey) think Love is average now, you find a way to keep Rodgers and you trade Love NOW.
If Rodgers doesn't want to come back and you think Love is average, you trade Love now and then, fine, you get a Wilson or Carr.

Either way, its Rodgers stays, Rodgers and Love go, or Love is the starter for the next season or 2.

Do you really think that Carr is going to take this team (notably) farther than Love in 2022? No. He's not. No one thinks Rodgers can take us farther in 2022 than we did in 2020/2021. Its a waste of money.

Finally, Carr plays for the Raiders. If Rodgers goes to Denver, we are not taking any of the picks we get for Rodgers and turning them around on Carr.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I just don't understand why people are so afraid of losing. I thought titles was the goal?

We already have 11 years of no titles. To me, there is not much difference with your season ending in one or 2 weeks later than everyone else. Go with the cheap option an build a team to be a winner.

Expensive QBs don't win the big one. Mahommes this year has a chance of being the first QB I can think of in over 10 years to be a high paid, high salary cap QB to actually win the big game.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

No team has ever won with any player taking up more than 13.1% of the cap.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:14
Yoop wrote:
paco wrote:

Where to begin.....

If Love ends up an average starter for the next 2 seasons, you draft a replacement in 1-2 years or you sign a free agent then.
If you (MLF and Gutey) think Love is average now, you find a way to keep Rodgers and you trade Love NOW.
If Rodgers doesn't want to come back and you think Love is average, you trade Love now and then, fine, you get a Wilson or Carr.

Either way, its Rodgers stays, Rodgers and Love go, or Love is the starter for the next season or 2.

Do you really think that Carr is going to take this team (notably) farther than Love in 2022? No. He's not. No one thinks Rodgers can take us farther in 2022 than we did in 2020/2021. Its a waste of money.

Finally, Carr plays for the Raiders. If Rodgers goes to Denver, we are not taking any of the picks we get for Rodgers and turning them around on Carr.
I think it's impossible to predict the future, best guess is Love will be a better QB with another season of sitting behind a vet, and the vet doesn't need to be as good as Rodgers, he simply needs to capable of not making tons of mistakes, I don't understand this need to rush Love into starting, and certainly can't get on board with not caring if we win or lose with him.

the FO had a plan with Love, groom him behind Rodgers till AR's contract was up, Rodgers has now changed the time table, but that doesn't mean we have to throw out the plan, I'am convinced that the reason so many young QB's bust is because they where not ready to start when forced to, Rodgers was rated vastly higher then Love, still, giving him time to absorb the diff. in the pro's from college ball imo is what helped him the most to become who he's been, why not do as much for Love, anyway that would be what I would try and do.

just go back and look at the revolving door of QB's we brought in during the 70's and 80's, never gave them the seasoning required and all became busts, I'd like to avoid that merry go round of insanity, just because Favre was able to do well soon after starting his 2nd year doesn't mean it should be the plan, and not all prospects are equal.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:38
Who is the highest do you know?

I would imagine it was either Peyton or Brees?

The QB market started to get really stupid after 2012 when Flacco won it. That was about the time the league just got obsessed with "passing league" and you were only good if you had a good QB.

Like all things, markets, and trends go from one end to another and we are starting to see the pendulum swing back to not being so QB dependent. Really started to be noticeable around 2017.

We have the system that is supposed to not be overly dependent on QB talent. So I would like to be on the front side of this trend and get away from the gross overspend of resources on one position.
Last edited by go pak go on 29 Jan 2022 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:34
I just don't understand why people are so afraid of losing. I thought titles was the goal?

We already have 11 years of no titles. To me, there is not much difference with your season ending in one or 2 weeks later than everyone else. Go with the cheap option an build a team to be a winner.

Expensive QBs don't win the big one. Mahommes this year has a chance of being the first QB I can think of in over 10 years to be a high paid, high salary cap QB to actually win the big game.
Any analysis of the past 10 Super Bowls is heavily skewed by Tom Brady winning over half of them. Brady is a very unique situation in that he doesn’t demand top dollar.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

competing for the title is the goal, thats what packs the bleachers, most SB winners have expensive QB's, maybe not Mahomes expensive but they sure aren't cheap.

and you don't understand why people are afraid of losing because you never backed a loser.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:42
paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:14
Yoop wrote:

Where to begin.....

I think it's impossible to predict the future, best guess is Love will be a better QB with another season of sitting behind a vet, and the vet doesn't need to be as good as Rodgers, he simply needs to capable of not making tons of mistakes, I don't understand this need to rush Love into starting, and certainly can't get on board with not caring if we win or lose with him.

the FO had a plan with Love, groom him behind Rodgers till AR's contract was up, Rodgers has now changed the time table, but that doesn't mean we have to throw out the plan, I'am convinced that the reason so many young QB's bust is because they where not ready to start when forced to, Rodgers was rated vastly higher then Love, still, giving him time to absorb the diff. in the pro's from college ball imo is what helped him the most to become who he's been, why not do as much for Love, anyway that would be what I would try and do.

just go back and look at the revolving door of QB's we brought in during the 70's and 80's, never gave them the seasoning required and all became busts, I'd like to avoid that merry go round of insanity, just because Favre was able to do well soon after starting his 2nd year doesn't mean it should be the plan, and not all prospects are equal.
Love hasn't gotten the time he should have, but its his time to start. It's not a rush. You have to see what he has and you want to see it for at least 1 full season and before you commit to that 5th year option. None of us can know what he'll offer when really given the chance and with a team built around him. Love isn't Rodgers. The Rodgers offense is now gone, literally, we've got no WRs but Amari. Its time to build around Love.

The 70's and 80's were a different time. You don't have the luxury of sitting a guy like we did Rodgers even, anymore. The fact we've gotten this with Love is bucking the trend.

Rodgers hasn't changed the timetable. He tried to before this season, but it didn't work. The most logical out has already been prior to 2022. Just listen to guys like Andrew Brandt who know how this stuff works.

The Packers and Rodgers have already made their decision on what is happening. Staying or going. The only thing that's different is if Rodgers does decide to retire. But there is no reason for the Packers to give a guy like Wilson or Carr a shot. NONE. This team is NOT ready for a Super Bowl run in 2022. And we do not have the money to throw at a guy like that with also having Rodgers on the books for a significant amount of money whether he's here or not.

I promise you, I will eat my words if I am wrong. But I won't be. And I'm willing to bet anyone that feels different. The starting QB for the Packers will be 1 of 2 people, Love or Rodgers (barring injuries).
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
Who is the highest do you know?

I would imagine it was either Peyton or Brees?
Steve Young back in 94.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Agree with the sentiment, but "there's always a first time". :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

:beer2:
lake shark wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:47
go pak go wrote:

Any analysis of the past 10 Super Bowls is heavily skewed by Tom Brady winning over half of them. Brady is a very unique situation in that he doesn’t demand top dollar.
Break it down to just NFC then. Take Brady out of it.

2011 - Manning
2012 - Kaep (rookie deal)
2013 - Wilson (rookie deal)
2014 - Wilson (rookie deal)
2015 - Newton. first year of new deal. First years usually have lowest cap hit under new CBA arena. Panthers collapsed after this season.
2016 - Ryan (on a modest 2nd contract at the time)
2017 - Keenum vs Foles
2018 - Goff (rookie deal)
2019 - Goroppolo ($20 million cap hit)
2020 - Tom Brady ($25 million cap hit)

Eli Manning was likely the highest % of cap QB in the last 10 years as an NFC Champion. 10 years is a lot of data points to show a trend.

The other trend we see is consistency. The teams above had very little consistency for the exception of Seattle. So data shows that top end QBs bring consistent winning and postseason appearances, but it does not bring titles.
Yoop wrote:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:51
and you don't understand why people are afraid of losing because you never backed a loser.
I backed a loser after the best winning ever, and I'm not afraid of them losing. I just adjusted my expectations and got a lot more satisfaction out of particular wins than 'less-than-NFL championship' seasons. And, this isn't a choice between losing and winning, it's how many more 'less-than-NFL championship seasons' (a very small number) can be squeezed out before the losing starts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:56
I promise you, I will eat my words if I am wrong. But I won't be. And I'm willing to bet anyone that feels different. The starting QB for the Packers will be 1 of 2 people, Love or Rodgers (barring injuries).
I hope your right,Love just hasn't looked the part so far, we'll see what happens :beer2:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 11:13
paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:56
I hope your right,Love just hasn't looked the part so far, we'll see what happens :beer2:
Can't argue with you here. I haven't been open with my opinion on Love so far. I'm not sold yet either, but I hope he blossoms when out from underneath Aaron's shadow. Time will tell! :beer2:
RIP JustJeff