QB Carousel

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

QB Carousel

Post by BF004 »

Wanted a thread for just this. As we get deeper into the Rodgers possible movement discussion and even beyond him.

Potential available QB’s
Starters
Rodgers
Wilson - Seattle isn’t likely to be good next year and Pete Carroll has to be in his last years
Watson - if all the legal stuff checks out, could get traded for a lot.

Stop Gaps
Garrapolo - basically no dead money in a cut or trade, SF could use the cap room with no first round picks for a while to fill out their roster.
Fitzpatrick
Winston
Marriota
Bridgewater
Tyrod Taylor
Andy Dalton
Cam Newton

Teams needing a QB
Tier 1 - basically can’t field a team this year without doing something.
Pittsburgh
Houston
Tampa Bay - if Brady retires
Seattle - if they trade Wilson

Tier 2 - really need something soon or should consider a bold move
New Orleans
Denver
Miami
Washington Commanders

Tier 3 - Likey need a new QB by ‘23
Detroit
New York Giants
Cleveland
Atlanta
Carolina

Tier 4 - not necessarily a need, but may make a change or draft someone in round 1
Minnesota - not sure how big they are on Mond after 1 year.
Las Vegas
Tennessee
Philadelphia
Indianapolis

Seeing usually 3-5 QBs going in the first round.

Anyone got any big predictions?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Russell Wilson goes to Washington.

With their new name, they are getting a QB this year. They need attention away from the other crap that is surrounding that team. This year offers the most opportunity over any other year.

They will not trade for Cousins. They will try hard for Rodgers but come up short (Denver has more resources and a better connection for Rodgers) so they take 2nd prize Wilson.

I also think Carolina will be big, big players to watch out for. The NFC South is ripe for the taking and I think Carolina has a pretty good squad.

Kirk Cousins should be traded but I don't know how his contract works. I think pretty much overall he has to stay in MN because he is fully guaranteed. Kirk Cousins was the stupidest contract a team as ever doled out IMO. Bad for the team and player from a winning % standpoint.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I think Wilson and Carroll are stuck together for 1 more year in Seattle. Those 2 will leave the Seahawks at the same time. The fact Carroll is still there, makes me think he stays.

Cousins stays purely because of his cap hit. Vikings put themselves in a deep deep hole with that one.

Watson won't be a Texan, but I'm not sure anyone trades for him. If they do, it'll be for a fraction of what they should get (based on football stuff, because of legal stuff). He's not cleared and not sure he will be before the season starts. Houston may have to take a big fat bite and cut him. Will have a very slim trade market and any big picks will be conditional.

Someone will think Garrapolo can win for them and will give him too much. Could even be traded for by a team like Washington.

Not ready to make a call on Brady yet. But I still lean slightly toward him playing another year.

After saying all this, other than Rodgers, I think the high-end FA market for QB's will be disappointing. But may make bidding for the few guys available go nuts (I hope).
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 11:05
I think Wilson and Carroll are stuck together for 1 more year in Seattle. Those 2 will leave the Seahawks at the same time. The fact Carroll is still there, makes me think he stays.

Cousins stays purely because of his cap hit. Vikings put themselves in a deep deep hole with that one.

Watson won't be a Texan, but I'm not sure anyone trades for him. If they do, it'll be for a fraction of what they should get (based on football stuff, because of legal stuff). He's not cleared and not sure he will be before the season starts. Houston may have to take a big fat bite and cut him. Will have a very slim trade market and any big picks will be conditional.

Someone will think Garrapolo can win for them and will give him too much. Could even be traded for by a team like Washington.

Not ready to make a call on Brady yet. But I still lean slightly toward him playing another year.

After saying all this, other than Rodgers, I think the high-end FA market for QB's will be disappointing. But may make bidding for the few guys available go nuts (I hope).
I hope everything you said turns out true. I want small supply.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Brady retiring would be big.

Just one more blanket wide open need for a QB.

Plus not huge, but I certainly couldn’t imagine Aaron retiring and have to be inducted with Big Ben and Brady and their 9 Super Bowls.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 11:59
Brady retiring would be big.

Just one more blanket wide open need for a QB.

Plus not huge, but I certainly couldn’t imagine Aaron retiring and have to be inducted with Big Ben and Brady and their 9 Super Bowls.
No way rodgers is retiring. He’s only threatening to so that he can ensure the packers don’t ship him to the Jets or somewhere like that. It’s a leverage play.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I see Tennessee and Carolina making bigger plays for QB's in the very near future. Just from a culture standpoint, Tennessee usually goes big or goes home. I could see them making a bigger move and punting on Tannehill. Carolina just has nothing. I think the Darnold experiment, while certainly worth a try, is not worth doubling down on and I think that brass knows it.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 10:32
Seeing usually 3-5 QBs going in the first round.
I think it's two with about three fringe guys that I don't think end up making the cut. A lot of times you see that 1st-round buzz, but then a guy is drafted in the 4th-round. I think from a talent standpoint, there are more of those guys than the pure prospects that teams usually believe in.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

ya know why 3 to 5 QB's are picked in round one? actually it's like 4 top 20 and 1 more at the end is because no one grooms QB's any more, so when they bust out year two as most do it's rinse and repeat the same failed fiasco again, it's imo why Rodgers will go to the HOF, and most others don't amount to any more then average if they even become that good, the odds of success go up the longer they get to adapt, and absorb the speed of the pro game.

I get the feeling some of you think I just make this stuff up :rotf:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Guess I was wrong. Brady hanging them up.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yup.

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Hope Brady passes the winning torch to Jordan Love.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Brady looks like he has got another couple of solid seasons in him, so I am not 100% convinced this retirement will happen (even if he is sincerely believes it is), but I do think it is more likely than not. At his age, and with how untouchable his career success has become -- especially now that he has done it both in the NFC and without Belichick -- I don't see much reason for him to keep playing.

It also helps keep his legend intact by going out at a time when he is still playing pretty good football (I mean goodness, the guy ends his career in MVP conversation, likely second only to the eventual winner). Going out the way Brett Favre did definitely makes you look a little less superhuman.

If his team looked more like it did last year than it does this year, or if another team looked that good and could acquire him, maybe he would have stuck around for another season or two or will, but the Bucs look like they will be trending downwards and I don't see another team that can deliver comparably favorable conditions (stacked roster + warm weather).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 12:43
ya know why 3 to 5 QB's are picked in round one? actually it's like 4 top 20 and 1 more at the end is because no one grooms QB's any more, so when they bust out year two as most do it's rinse and repeat the same failed fiasco again, it's imo why Rodgers will go to the HOF, and most others don't amount to any more then average if they even become that good, the odds of success go up the longer they get to adapt, and absorb the speed of the pro game.

I get the feeling some of you think I just make this stuff up :rotf:
If only the same learning principles could be applied to other position groups. You know, like edge rusher for example.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Now reports that Brady is NOT retiring. His dad released something saying he wasn't and his agent released a statement (saying nothing). Stay tuned.
RIP JustJeff

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jan 2022 14:18
Yup.

When I see Brady tweet it out or give an interview, I will believe it. Until then, it's just speculation.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

You guys reminded of anything else Adam has been wrong about in the past 12 months?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Brady just mad it got out and he wants to share the news his own way
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Trudge wrote:
29 Jan 2022 17:10
You guys reminded of anything else Adam has been wrong about in the past 12 months?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2022 15:31
Now reports that Brady is NOT retiring. His dad released something saying he wasn't and his agent released a statement (saying nothing). Stay tuned.
Well, the all the follow-ups that I saw said no decision. This smells like retirement to me and the gentle pushback seems to be more about timing of the announcement than the will he/won't he.

Read More. Post Less.