Rodgers future

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

i think hes probably gone. But rapsheet has a pretty good reputation of knowing whats up, so i think its possible he stays. I think the org is begging him back and trying to convince him how they can make it work. I think Gute and Lafleur are scared of the road ahead without him. If they werent scared, we would here far less public posturing about keeping him.

That said, whats most likely happening is a PR game where they divorce because its the obvious choice, but both sides are trying to be able to say they "tried to make it work". They are trying to divorce in a way there is as little mud as possible on either party.

Gute is in a tough place. He drafted Love. If Love flops and 12 goes on to win a ring somewhere, he will be getting heat and he knows it.

But I think Rodgers is probably gone. I would say 80% gone, 20% stay.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
30 Jan 2022 09:06
Someone, explain to me like I'm 12, what exactly can the Packers do to get under the cap to Tag Adams? We are $50M under right now.

Please, play with the numbers and make the moves. Tell me what it will take that you think Rodgers would be ok with.
https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/
In my attempt I've done this....
Restructured everything possible in the contracts of Rodgers, Bak, Jones, Clark, and Crosby.
Cut - Z, Cobb, Lewis, Lowry (assuming Lewis and Cobb come back on smaller deals later)
Extended - Jarie and Preston. No idea what Preston would look like but took a stab and saved almost $9M.

No idea if you can even do all of this before the league year. But this gave us about $28M. Davante's tag is just over $19M. So $10M more to play with. $7M if you sign all your ERFA's and Lazard to Original round tender. Going to need $5M at least for the draft class.

So that leaves us with nothing unless more moves are made. And I didn't even look at a new contract for Rodgers, that's just restructuring his base salary for 2022. This &%$@ makes my head hurt. Russ Ball gonna need a raise after this.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Does cutting players work in a tag Adams situation?

Maybe it does because their 2022 cap hit and the tag is also a 22 cap cancels each other out?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2022 09:24

Gute is in a tough place. He drafted Love. If Love flops and 12 goes on to win a ring somewhere, he will be getting heat and he knows it.
Seeing Rodgers win a ring elsewhere may just be the most painful thing for me to see as a Packers fan. I don't want those 2009 vibes again. Even if it isn't with a division rival.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jan 2022 09:41
Does cutting players work in a tag Adams situation?

Maybe it does because their 2022 cap hit and the tag is also a 22 cap cancels each other out?
Yes, I believe cuts will need to happen and will come off the cap before we need to tag Adams. But I may be wrong on that. I keep trying to find straight answers but I can't seem to find them.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jan 2022 09:43
Drj820 wrote:

Seeing Rodgers win a ring elsewhere may just be the most painful thing for me to see as a Packers fan. I don't want those 2009 vibes again. Even if it isn't with a division rival.
I would be happy for him as long as he goes to a complete non rival

I think the favre thing hurt bc he went to the Vikings

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
28 Jan 2022 19:03
BF004 wrote:
28 Jan 2022 17:41
When you set the NFL record, the entire history of the NFL, unanimously winning the most games in your first 3 seasons, (didn’t even need week 18 which I’ll always love). You are talking record breaking coaching extensions. Not the opposite.

Any fricken talk of moving off this coach, good fricken lotd man.
The reason why MLF is sort of underrated at this point and nobody is really giving him all that much credit for what is a historic performance is because he has Rodgers at QB.

And honestly, the attitude is justified.

We do not know how good he actually is because we have yet to see him try to coach without the regular season GOAT. We suspect he is top 5 or top 10 or maybe even top 2, but we really don't know, and can't know, until we see what he can do when the &%$@ hits the fan.

I'll tell you what though, untouchable coaches don't get btfo in the playoffs the way his teams have.
How come for years nobody said that about Belichick before he got Brady? He wasn't all that hot in previous gigs. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if you don't have a decent QB in today's NFL you don't get very far. BB got NE into the playoffs this year but then got completely blown out of the stadium once he got there.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:39
There seems to be a list of packers that aren’t supposed to defended, and a list that aren’t supposed to be criticized.

We will find out a lot about Lafleur next year. Rodgers on the roster has prevented him from getting the usual amount of credit for 3 13 win seasons

Great coaches usually don’t roll into the playoffs with such a liability at special teams. There was a major problem and he was never able to figure it out and get it fixed. We will see how that impacts his success going forward, hopefully he learns from the experience

And we will learn a lot about Lafleur next year. And everyone should have adjusted reasonable expectations.

If the pack go 4-13, safe to say regular season rodg carried the young coach.

If the packers compete for a bad division and win 8-10 games....that’s a pretty darn good job by the coach. While that’s not great compared to recent success, considering all the changes..I would be very pleased with Lafleur in that situation.

And if he wins 12-14 games...well, he will finally get his COTY award.

None of the above statements are unreasonable
Why didn't he fix it? I'm beginning to suspect they thought they could get by even with this dreadful unit and it came back to bite them in the rear. MLF should have addressed that mess months ago. This mistake I lay at his feet and if it isn't fixed this coming season, no matter what happens with Rodgers, I will lose a lot of faith in his ability to be the head man.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

NCF wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:45
Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:14
And while we know little about Love, the little we saw was far from impressive so the future is still a untold story, all we can do is hope he turns out like Gary, but this crap that we need to wait for 3 years for draft picks to even be a quality starter is rediculous
Most don't take it to extremes. Most realize that year one contributions are gravy and should not be the expectation. Especially in the case of drafting super young, toolsy players that will take some time by design. Gary fits in that category, as does a guy like Kenny Clark. Guess what, Jordan Love definitely fits in that category. No one described Love as a polished player coming out in The Draft. He was a guy with all the tools that you could mold into a top-level QB. That is my point. 3 years, blah, blah... every one of these guys is different and the timelines should be different based on individual circumstances.

Let's rewind the clock 15 years to January 2007. Over the course of that offseason Packer nation was unified in adding Rodgers to whatever trade package was necessary to acquire Randy Moss. Rodgers had showed nothing and getting anything for him was the goal. Argue all you want, if we had reacted rashly to Rodgers development to that point, what a mistake it would have been. I'm not saying Love gets three years. There is a lot to factor in there. You want to see progression, elimination of recurring mistakes, feel him becoming the guy you envisioned on Draft Day. He might not make it through 2022 or it might take 3 years to figure everything out. It all depends. We will have to see and trust we know when we know. But I am begging, can we give the guy more than 6 quarters, because I assure you, no one knows today despite their insistence that they do.
IMO Love needs another year of seasoning before he is ready. If Rodgers is traded (He is not going anywhere unless Gute trades him. Some folks here and on other forums talk like Rodgers can do whatever he wants like Brady did) this spring next season will most likely be a lot like Rodgers' first season starting in 2008.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Unless I'm getting senile in my old age I thought the reason we didn't get Moss is because we wouldn't sign him for more than one year and he wanted multiple seasons...?? :dunno:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 15:04
rodgers is awful in Florida
Over his career Rodgers is 7-5 against teams in FL. I will say he is 2-3 against Tampa.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
30 Jan 2022 08:24
Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2022 08:00
Let's be real here.

Nathaniel Hackett: Gone
Luke Getsy: Gone

Add that with the salary cap woes the Packers are in, the era is over. Rodgers isn't coming back.
This isn't the first time we lost offensive assistants during Rodgers' career. The only way he leaves is if he is traded or retires and I don't see him hanging up his cleats any time soon. If KC can sign Mahomes to a ridiculous contract and not destroy their cap one would think someone at 1265 is working on creative accounting there too.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2022 10:00
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I think the favre thing hurt bc he went to the Vikings
If he won for us I would be happy for him elsewhere. But because there were two years in a row where the play was there to be made and it wasn't made, I'd feel a lot of pain.

And honestly that was the same for me and Favre. I could care less who it was with. It was the fact that if he didn't throw a daggar heart INT with MN like he always did with us...it would have hurt a lot.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I won't, lol. I feel like he cost us anywhere from 2-4 SBs. You could reasonably even argue 6-7. So I will be a little bit miffed if he finally gets over the hump with some other woman... uhh I mean, team.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
30 Jan 2022 10:41
Drj820 wrote:
29 Jan 2022 15:04
rodgers is awful in Florida
Over his career Rodgers is 7-5 against teams in FL. I will say he is 2-3 against Tampa.
Over his career the Florida teams have mostly been awful. 7-5 record worse than originally meets the eye.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

dsr wrote:
30 Jan 2022 08:05
Yoop wrote:
29 Jan 2022 07:38
If I'am picking 12 in the draft I want someone that can contribute soon in there first year, obviously I expect them to improve for several years after that to reach there ceiling, to wait for 3 years on every draft pick to develop as a quality starter translates to always being in rebuild mode, sorta spells out our defense from 2011 till 2020
When you post this sort of thing I sometimes wonder why it is you are so keen on Rodgers staying. He was drafted in the first round and was not able to contribute in his first year or second years and he contributed little in his third. We had to wait 4 years for him to develop. If he was such a bad draft pick, what made you change your mind? :idn: Could it have been the standard of play in his career as a whole?
I don't know why YOU, APB and others here refuse to accept that QB is different then any other position, QB's require more time to develop mentally because the position requires understanding of opposing defensive concepts and schemes, most positions are only tasked with there own responsibility's, QB's are tasked with knowing far more, hense the learning curve is longer.

seriously I would expect most people to understand this, common knowledge, also edge players (OLB, CB, Tackles ) play most often 1 on 1 position, hense less complicated stuff to know starting out, if a CB can play man well, he can start, if a OLB has some pass rush moves, same thing, they can pick up the complicated stuff as the season progresses, a QB can't get by on physical ability alone.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
30 Jan 2022 09:06
Someone, explain to me like I'm 12, what exactly can the Packers do to get under the cap to Tag Adams? We are $50M under right now.

Please, play with the numbers and make the moves. Tell me what it will take that you think Rodgers would be ok with.
https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/
Isn’t that complicated.

Just say goodbye to Smith, Smith, Cobb, Mason, Lewis, rework Aaron, Jaire, Amos.

Prolly let at least one of Big Dean or Turner go. Could maybe sneak Rasul back; but no Campbell, MVS, Tonyan Patrick.

Maybe hope to get Lazard back without having to RFA tender him. Could definitely see the Broncos or Bears interested in Lazard with Hackett and Getsy.

Seems like a lot, but we would essentially be adding back, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, and Jaire, 3 all pros who we didn’t have this year.

And other than Preston and Campbell, who in that lot was really instrumental in helping us win where we couldn’t find adequate replacements.

Maybe Turner and Patrick, but getting a better guard and tackle back and some nice depth on the OL already.

I think we would have a very competitive team, but fear we’d prolly have a middle of the pack at best D again with crap DL and ILB that couldn’t hold up in January per usual.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
30 Jan 2022 11:21
Drj820 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I won't, lol. I feel like he cost us anywhere from 2-4 SBs. You could reasonably even argue 6-7. So I will be a little bit miffed if he finally gets over the hump with some other woman... uhh I mean, team.
I only come up with 2 and those are even debatable that he cost us the game, Minus Rodgers, or someone close to his ability we wouldn't have even made the PO with some of these teams, no defense, no receivers, no CB's, for most of this last decade Rodgers carried this team, this year and 2015 ( Seahawks loss) are the only two imo that better play from Rodgers may have changed the outcome..

6 or 7 :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Let me rephrase, then: Rodgers never cost us a game, he just failed to win several winnable ones for us.

No DEE-fence! No reeSEEvers! Those sorts of excuses are why Rodgers is Rodgers and Brady is Brady, the GOAT. Brady did it with only Edelman to throw to (Gronk on IR). Adams is several times better than Edelman and the rest of our WRs were on par with what Pats had. Face it, Rodgers is Peyton Manning, great in the regular season but not in the big game.

Brady definitely would have at least three of those games, if not more.
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Frankly, I also blame the endless excuses for Rodgers for the recent disappointments, too. Especially the thrice-damned "doesn't get enough help!" one that even non-Packer fan idiots make.

It was better when people accused him of stuff like "he's not clutch" because that would light a fire under him. He has not had that lately, his legacy was secured much too early and now he's content to just coast off of that, the TD:INT ration, and meaningless MVP titles.
—Magneto